Lore questions

Comments

• Everiine said:
    But don't manses become ships by hatching algontherine eggs, which grow into big aethercreatures, with manses basically riding on the backs of them? Or somesuch thing. My understanding is that manses don't become ships, they get attached to the creatures who fly around aetherspace.
    I always saw that the whole manse becomes the aethership. That the hatching of the egg releases an entity that bonds with the manse.

That and somewhere @Estarra said aetherships were based on the Gomtuu from Starterk I believe.
  • Oh, I've been imagining aetherships as similar to Leviathans from Farscape.
  • Shaddus said:
    Obviously we need to make one in the shape of a turtle, with an upper level in the shape of Earth Lusternia.
    Sure, but what is under the turtle?
  • Zitto said:
    Shaddus said:
    Obviously we need to make one in the shape of a turtle, with an upper level in the shape of Earth Lusternia.
    Sure, but what is under the turtle?
    Turtles. Turtles all the way down.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Turtle-ception.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2017
    What does power itself look like?

You lay your hands upon the Eternal Flame and feel the latent power within. Closing your eyes, you tap directly into its coursing energy and begin channeling its energy into your own reserves.

My eyes are closed, I can't see! Energylink doesn't seem to have a visual either. Is power something we can see? Does it crackle around the nexus like a tesla coil? Does each org have a different flavor of power? (from @veyils, good question!) How is it quantitatively measured, like how do we gauge how much power there is in the nexus - does it take up physical space? Does energy radiate more at higher levels? Are we all going to get cancer?

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I answered this earlier and I'll repeat my answer here, because it's how I've always imagined it as an invisible, almost telekinetic force of energy. It moves like the wind, can move you, ruffle hair, blow clothing, but it feels sort of like static electricity with...flavours? Like you could have warm, cold, wet, earthy, or what have you energy that feels different from how the others do. I would like to hear other people's opinions though!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • It seems like power can appear visibly. Serenwilde's essence is silver, for example, and I don't see that being some empathic sense of 'silver' (does that even make sense)? Instead, it seems to visibly glow near enough to a mortal approximation of silver. Reproducing this glow in crafted objects is one of silver essence's practical applications, too.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Essence is probably a physical manifestation of power sure.

But also I wouldn't have much of an issue accepting that power could also be sensed through a form of synesthesia, like you might sense it with some mystical sixth sense but our characters bodies translate that into a silver glow for something wildeish or like a book with wet paper pages (cause they feel and look wet, but that's just the synesthesia detecting water power)
  • Another take on power:

l node
    Raw power from the astral plane has condensed into large crystals that have melded together, forming 
    a crystalline pillar. A rainbow nimbus surrounds the crystals that pulsate with power.

l node
    Raw power from the astral plane has condensed into large crystals that have melded together, forming 
    a glittering crystalline pillar. Each multifaceted crystal glows with a pulsating rainbow of colours.
     Energy crackles and sparks from this node of pure power.
  • Are all viscanti actually tainted? What if a child is born a viscanti but never actually comes in contact with the taint?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Viscanti is a mutated form of other races. That mutation is because of the taint. It's in the blood as it were

• Lavinya said:
    Viscanti is a mutated form of other races. That mutation is because of the taint. It's in the blood as it were
    Are you sure the taint in inherited alongside the mutations?
    Everiine said:
    Which is why people like the Moondancers used to (still do?) do a ceremony for new Viscanti members that either cleanses or makes the taint in a Viscanti inert.
    Not to stomp on the RP parade (I love it, really I do) but what happens when they get to demi and, if they haven't reincarnated, begin to breathe poison at people? Is it attributed to racial heritage without calling it Tainty-licious?

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    No idea! I'm not even certain that ritual is done anymore, or what exactly it was supposed to do to make the Viscanti acceptable (unlike Illithoids, Viscanti aren't actually banned).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2017
    Tremula said:
    Everiine said:
    Which is why people like the Moondancers used to (still do?) do a ceremony for new Viscanti members that either cleanses or makes the taint in a Viscanti inert.
    Not to stomp on the RP parade (I love it, really I do) but what happens when they get to demi and, if they haven't reincarnated, begin to breathe poison at people? Is it attributed to racial heritage without calling it Tainty-licious?
    If a MD demi-Viscanti willingly starting breathing poison at people, it would be a pretty bad act of blasphemy. They're willingly flaunting that Tainted part of themselves, and that's something a MD Does Not Do. Typically, even the purification ritual would be followed by a reincarnation. While not technically banned outright (at least for those willing to undergo the rite) the rare few who never did reincarnate usually didn't last long, often being ostracized, or at least shunned, to some degree.

The ritual itself doesn't actually do anything except indulge the Dancers' penchant for flashiness. It's a commitment more than an actual "cure". We've used it on occasion for people who are "impure" for reasons other than the Taint, for that reason.  The Coven likes to believe it has the power to control the Taint, not unlike those who wanted to "cleanse" Gloriana pre-Wyrd. But they really don't.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    @Riluna I was more refrring to the burp of noxious gas that is the asthma breath attack that procs randomly, not the demi+ BREATHE POISON. That is interesting to know, though, thanks for the insight! :D

• Neat. I didn't know it was a random proc, thought it was more like drac fire. The more narrow answer then, is no, that probably wouldn't be ignored. Historically, at least, they still viscanti are still viewed as Tainted (why they don't tend to get that far). Racial heritage, yes, not their fault, perhaps, but most def still Tainty-licious.

• If a current Elder were to splinter into shards again for whatever reason, do they become a new race instantly, or something that eventually happens over time?

• From what happened in the books, it sounds like they become a new race instantly, but the first generation still has a lot of the divine's memories at first? So probably would need a generation before they're like, normal mortals?
  • edited March 2017
    - Are some of the original edifices of power still used? If not, where did our nexii come from?

- Did the city/commune nexii always exist?
    --- If not, how are they intricately intertwined with the other planes?
    --- If not, how were they built?
    --- If not, how are they different from the vernal era's edifices of power? Can they do less than the OG versions? Why?
    --- Also, if they didn't just inherently exist, how did a reflection already exist on astral when Ladantine's expedition arrived?
    --- If they did always exist, why didn't the people during the vernal era use them? 

- How do the nexii work?
    --- How is essence transformed into power?
    --- Why does the color of essence matter? How exactly does the transformation process happen? Is the essence attuned to each nexus in some way?
    --- What is essence, anyways?
    --- How does the nexus recognize when to properly unleash power to create a VA? How does the nexus know if someone is powerblocked? How does it know if someone is even a citizen or not? 

- What are power creatures? Eg flame hogs on the fire plane. Are they "alive" creatures similar to a random bird or rabbit on prime? Did they evolve to fit their flame or were they created?
    --- If so, are there like...flame hog dens and cinder crawler nests where these things are breeding somewhere on fire?
    --- If not, where do power creatures come from? How do they work biologically?
    --- How do they get the essence inside? What part of them is it tumbling out of?

- What are the nexus worlds?
    --- How were they made?
    --- Physically, where are they? Like they can be reached from aetherspace but also by entering the nexus, how does that work because it hurts my brain to think about.
    --- Where do the creatures inside come from?
    --- What would happen to a nexus if its nexus world was nuked/destroyed?

References/books/scrolls to read are totally cool as an answer.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Breandryn said:
    - Are some of the original edifices of power still used? If not, where did our nexii come from?

- Did the city/commune nexii always exist?
    --- If not, how are they intricately intertwined with the other planes?
    --- If not, how were they built?
    --- If not, how are they different from the vernal era's edifices of power? Can they do less than the OG versions? Why?
    --- Also, if they didn't just inherently exist, how did a reflection already exist on astral when Ladantine's expedition arrived?
    --- If they did always exist, why didn't the people during the vernal era use them? 

- How do the nexii work?
    --- How is essence transformed into power?
    --- Why does the color of essence matter? How exactly does the transformation process happen? Is the essence attuned to each nexus in some way?
    --- What is essence, anyways?
    --- How does the nexus recognize when to properly unleash power to create a VA? How does the nexus know if someone is powerblocked? How does it know if someone is even a citizen or not? 

- What are power creatures? Eg flame hogs on the fire plane. Are they "alive" creatures similar to a random bird or rabbit on prime? Did they evolve to fit their flame or were they created?
    --- If so, are there like...flame hog dens and cinder crawler nests where these things are breeding somewhere on fire?
    --- If not, where do power creatures come from? How do they work biologically?
    --- How do they get the essence inside? What part of them is it tumbling out of?

References/books/scrolls to read are totally cool as an answer.
    I'll try to answer this where I can remember the answers.

Nexii are, as they are, constructs similar (or the same) as the edifices of powers that used to raise the vernal gods ( shanth, urlach, dionamus and co ). Gorob (= D'varsha) invented those as a way to achieve quasi divinity to combat the soulless, thus the first was built in his home-city beneath the sea of amberle. Thus, they weren't always around, no. The commune nexii are a little different, I seem to remember, as they are saplings of the Tree of Trees, but sadly I have found very little lore so far, revolving around the tree of trees, which I hope eventually changes.

They can do less then the original versions because the first god to raise from ascension during modern times sacrificed a large portion of his divine power to create an unbreachable rift between the realm of the Imandivinus ( source of divine power ) and the realm of the nine domoth ( which used to be part of it ? ). Since then, we can only raise vernal ascendants and those that ascend become ascendants.

I believe the nexii we know were all built long before modern times ( with the Pool of Stars being the exception as the original was destroyed during Project Cosmic hope). How these 'reflections' do happen I could find the answer to myself.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I believe 'essence' as in the essence from the creatures in the elemental planes are shreds of what makes up these planes. The creatures living on there are essentially parastes which live off these planes. If they are born/breeding on there or if they are from elsewhere I do not know. Especially the creatures on water seem to suggest to me that they are parasitic in nature. If you slay these creatures, what they have stolen form the elemental planes making forms a glob of strength which seeks to return to the plane. We pick that up and put it into a nexus.

(this part is speculation, which is why I posted it separately)
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    The creatures on Air specifically are stealing the power of the Plane in the form of their literal breathing, most of them have something mentioning their 'last breath' becoming the cloudy essence.

As far as tying the nexi to higher planes, I think it works the other way around. Something in the Nexus itself resonates with the energies of a higher plane, and we stand on the shoulders of giants who learned how to step through that something and enter the reflection of the element/creche with which the nexus resonates. I believe historically it was Lakedancers who discovered Water and became the first mages (Aquas), Aquamancers who discovered Celestia and became the first Guardians (Celestines), and Fatalists who discovered Astral and led to Ladantine (an Aquamancer), to break everything forever. What's important is that these were 'discovered', not 'created' or 'connected', and I think Cosmic Hope took a fair clip of power to make it to Astral the first time.

As for Nexi that are still around, I believe New Celest's arena is the area containing the Pearl of Amberle, which raised Dionymus, and Castle Djarrakjahsaksgjhs and the Aslaran camp on the moors are fighting over ownership of the Claws of Shanth, which get uncovered in the Castle quest outside of the Krokani tower. I don't THINK the Throne empowered Urlachmar, but it's there, as is the Meliashmora of Imperial Secrets for Juliara or Vestera (it's been a while, She may not have even been one of the Nine). And technically the old Pool on Spectre Isle is still there and raised a Vernal Goddess, it just didn't end well.