Improved Newbie Intro Released!

EstarraEstarra Administrator, Moderator Posts: 934 Creator
As many of you may know, we have been working on a new intro for newbies to pair with the Remembrance Pools. This new intro is now active! Alas, this also means that you can no longer visit newbie areas if you are not a newbie.

Basically, the newbie goes through the House of the Moirae for a very simple walkthrough quest to familiarize the newbie with some very basic commands. Our hope is that this is no more than a 5-10 minute intro before the newbie goes into live game.

After that, you are sent to the Gardens of the Moirae surrounded by magical pools. You can type POOLS (or PORTALS still work) to get back to the gardens while a newbie. There, you will find the Pools of Remembrance in addition to pools to your city and collegium. The portals to Newton Caverns still exist as well.

Rather than the genie lamp, newbies will have TASKS to perform in order to help them learn about Lusternia and how to get around. Performing tasks gives awards, so newbies should be encouraged to do them. Also, this is where newbies will select race, class and guild. They won't be forced to make these selections right away; rather, they can take their time to figure out what exactly they want to do.

Please give us your feedback!

Comments

• BairlochBairloch Member Posts: 118 Capable
    As a not new character, should I be getting these notifications about tasks and gaining experience from completing them?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,880 Transcendent
    I may be wrong about this, but anyone older who doesn't want to get spammed by these can just HINTS OFF.
    Bob Junior says, "I had a party hook onnce. Lost it iNsiDee of soMe buxsm dracnari maiden, I thiik."
  • BairlochBairloch Member Posts: 118 Capable
    Will that also stop the messages from my "achievements"?
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 948 Fabled
    @Estarra we really need a command where we can summon really new players...even if that command has a disclaimer and requires them to agree.

Had a player who could not figure out how to get out of some pool and was at The Garden of the Moirae.

The place has a perm mono it seems (wish you'd have another line for those. Sucks to spend the effort trying to get the mono removed only to find out it can't be). Couldn't even get them out by pyramid as it not on prime.

Maybe have an item at the portal of fate that we can get and send to them that only works from within?

So we finally get the person out and within two minutes they drown.

Rezz them. Two minutes later they log out. Suspect they won't be back.

Probably should also be HELP files for these quests.
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
  • EstarraEstarra Administrator, Moderator Posts: 934 Creator
    There was a bug at the pools which has been fixed. Sorry about that! Will see about summon stuff, at least for guides. Where did the newbie drown?
  • AnitaAnita Member Posts: 879 Transcendent
    Estarra said:
    There was a bug at the pools which has been fixed. Sorry about that! Will see about summon stuff, at least for guides. Where did the newbie drown?
    Looked like they drowned in the Inner Sea - unless it was a different newbie somewhere else.
  • DevoraDevora Member Posts: 28 Apprentice
    Deeply grateful about how epic this new intro is, as far as I've seen. I look forward to replaying it for kicks and giving lots of feedback about the positives.

However, I spent over half an hour reporting bugs and typos, from the trivial to one game breaking issue. There didn't seem to be a room without spelling and grammar errors, awkwardness, or contradictions (eg, Lachesis is standing and sitting at the same time). I also reported a serious bug where I wasn't able to progress at all in the newbie intro because the room in which Lachesis was located was still somehow coded as a room in the progress of being created, not a finished room, and thus prevented me from interacting with Lachesis in any way. In the very first room I found myself in, Clotho and two items appeared in duplicate and two Clothos answered my question at once.

Was this intro tested? Is it still under construction? Since I logged out and restarted with a new char, this seems to be what true newbies are encountering currently.

If that's true, I would definitely highly recommend bringing a lot more mortal reviewers on board, because this is not a finished (or functional) product. Usually I don't care for small spelling and grammar errors, but this is the very first thing people will see. It's a lovingly crafted intro and cleverly designed, up until the part where I couldn't continue. Anything that newbies are going to play through should be tested a lot more rigorously than this appears to have been. I just spent half an hour, that's not a large amount of time to invest in troubleshooting.

Who knows, maybe it's just my computer or server being super weird. I used the character Blergh in Google Chrome on a Mac.
    edited December 4
    Also, I think there should be prompts after a certain amount of time has passed, repeating what Clotho tells you and what you are suggested to ask, for instance, or repeating where you're supposed to walk. People who haven't figured out how to scroll and keep track of dialogue / instructions yet could clutter their screen while looking at items and testing out commands and then have no idea what to do if Clotho's instructions go off screen.

What I liked A LOT, among other great things, was that the default now is verbose desc. If that's unintentional, PLEASE please please keep it that way anyway. For a newbie it's so important to see that every room has a distinct description. That's a big, unique selling point for Lusty.
    Thanks for the feedback @Devora! The intro was tested, including asking guides to test it out. Unfortunately, testing intros just doesn't seem to be a very exciting as we didn't get much feedback. Anyway, if you are interested in helping polish the intro more, hit me up in-game and we can work something out!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,880 Transcendent
    edited December 4
    Just took a trip through the intro. It may need a bit more fleshing out, but I like the general idea. I didn't actively seek out typos, but there were a few minor ones.

The very beginning was a bit wonky. 

https://ghostbin.com/paste/d2v3k

I might suggest that when you first show up to Lachesis, you get some sort of prompt about your belly grumbling or something. There's no actual reason why I would ask this question aside from being prompted. It might also be a good idea to explain about how you need to eat regularly.

https://ghostbin.com/paste/tn4qe

When you get the clothes from the wardrobe, it might not be a bad idea to urge newbies to probe the wardrobe. This will not only award them the PROBE task, but explain how to know what's inside a container.

The following was rather clever :D

https://ghostbin.com/paste/7evx2

The rats were a simple but elegant way to show people how to bash, but might be a good place to explain your prompt, and perhaps prior to this, giving the newbie some vials and teaching them Curing.

When I showed up at the Pools,  I noticed that my inventory was a bit threadbare. Not sure if working on certain things gives me the starter items or not. I ended up with only the clothes on my back, 27 gold from one of the rats, and this...well, according to Lachesis, it's a "large brass key".

-p key
    Being fashioned of simple iron, this key is basic yet functional, its teeth showing some signs of
    wear and tear.
    It weighs 5 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of a translucent balloon-like floater.
    It has the following aliases: key.

Bob Junior says, "I had a party hook onnce. Lost it iNsiDee of soMe buxsm dracnari maiden, I thiik."
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 948 Fabled
    edited December 6
    Estarra said:
    Oh, the drowning wasn't in the newbie area...I added it as part of that particular newbies experience. I don't know where the balance should be in presenting a dangerous world and not having newbies feel like the world is no fun. It was just a general observation that if too many bad things happen while learning a game it can result in someone just thinking that is going to be the game and logging out.

A couple of things to consider:

If there is a waterwalking enchantment, maybe a HINT along the lines of: You're likely to drown, RUB WATERWALK.

I suspect the actual problem is that they probably tried to path somewhere and drown.

What about a more soothing death for newbies? Shorter until they're maybe level 30 and with an explanation by one of the Fates that death isn't necessarily a bad thing? Hell, maybe even give them a kiss on the forehead and an hour health buff? Sure some will game it, but not like it unbalances anything. 
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
    Bugs were all fixed promptly! Thanks so much to the hardworking folks behind the scenes.

This time I was able to play through the entire intro. Atropos's basement was so cool! Thank you so much for bringing journals back. Also, I'm super excited about the new pools system, whereby newbies actually get dropped off in a place they can navigate much more easily. 

Some thoughts for improvement:
    • still lots of typos
    • newbies should be prompted to use PROBE. It's an essential skill, and there's great opportunities to learn it in the intro
    • the final step, Atropos's quest, should have the option to influence instead of bashing
    • in Atropos's quest, might be useful to have at least one mob that drops something that you need to deliver, since that's such a core part of questing
    • newbies should start out with a backpack, some gold, and health, mana, and bromides potions at the very least. Rn newbies are starting out with nothing but shirts, trousers, and the journal. I get newbies should learn shopping early, but it's better to learn syntaxes of inventory management and drinking potions first, then learn how to shop, rather than having to do all at once
    • typing HELP should contain a link to the TASK syntax, since most newbies will probably type HELP first if they're not sure what to do
    • choosing a race is very non immersive. there's no description of the process, you just immediately transform in an OOC way. there should be a mechanic by which you can "remember" your race, along with a cool race-specific message about how you transform. to make sure it doesn't make too many assumptions about the player's self-description, the message could be linked to race-specific emotes. eg someone remembering they're a mugwump could feel their tongue elongating and their skin getting wetter.

I appreciate that Lusternia is underresourced, with a ton of volunteers, but almost all the typos could have been prevented by running spell check once. I copy pasted some of the typos into Pages and Word, and both apps marked them wrong. So I would highly recommend that at least one writer/reviewer be responsible for doing that before text that newbies will see gets published. I love text games, but if I were to see a lot of basic typos in the intro of a game I just joined, it would be a big turnoff even when the lore is incredible. Which it definitely is here!
    You know, I'm embarrassed to say this bc I've been among the players harping on about starting newbies out at a more easily navigable point than the Portal of Fate, but now I find myself strongly missing the lore connection. The Portal of Fate was the IC process of character creation, but none of the newbies I make are mechanically stepping out of the Portal. 

Do you think there could be a mechanic where, in between finishing Atropos's quests and popping up in the POOLS/PORTALS, you step through the Portal of Fate?

Eg instead of Atropos spiriting you away to the POOLS/PORTALS directly, she takes you to the Portal and you step through it (OUT or ENTER PORTAL), whereupon you emerge on the other side in the POOLS/PORTALS? I think that might also help clarify that the intro has officially ended and you're out in the world. It would also teach the ENTER PORTAL command, which comes in handy later in Newton Caverns and many other quests.
    @Devora I went through the House of the Moirae and don't see the tons of typos you are talking about. Could it be you aren't familiar with British spelling which is what we use?
    edited December 7
    @Estarra Sorry to hear you went to the trouble! Thanks to Lusty's incredible coders, they got fixed promptly after I reported them. In total, there were at least 18 typos across the 18 rooms in the intro. On average that's 1 per room, which feels like a bit much. IDs of the bugs/typos I reported are #24704 thru 24711 (Blergh, first run), and #24728 thru 24735 (Blurgh, second run). I also recently found another one, #24743 (Blirgh, third run).
    Post edited by Devora on