Mudlet Questions

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Seems like it wants to work, and it will shut off the timer, but it won't turn it back on.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor

Shaddus said:
    Seems like it wants to work, and it will shut off the timer, but it won't turn it back on.
    I suspect isActive will return 0 if the timer is not active, but 0 counts as 'true' being a number, so you're never hitting the 'false' condition. Rejig the if-else a bit with that in mind and it should work.
    For those of us who are coding illiterate, how would I do that?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited June 2015
    Can always go the 'lazy' route and do something like:

if not timer_is_active then
       timer_is_active = true
       enableTimer("whatevertimernameis")
       echo("\nTimer Enabled.")
    else
       timer_is_active = false
       disableTimer("whatevertimernameis")
       echo("\nTimer Disabled.")
    end
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    edited June 2015
    Re-jig of Kelly's code would be:

if isActive("MyTimerName","timer") ~= 0 then
     disableTimer("MyTimerName")
     echo("Disabled")
    else
     enableTimer("MyTimerName")
     echo("Enabled")
    end

(only need to add the ~= 0 bit)

• Daraius said:
    How can I be sure Mudlet is saving to and loading from my profile in Dropbox, to avoid future profile loss?

http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1731  Here is a topic which discusses that. First post says Mac/Linux only but a solution for windows is given further down the thread.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2015
    Can anybody direct me to a discussion of how to work with databases in Mudlet? I've gone through the relevant section of the manual, and the list of all the advanced database commands, but I'm still moonblinked by the jargon. It's not always clear to me what words and symbols in the example scripts are necessary for the code to work, and which are just placeholders and shorthand.

What I want to do seems like it should be really simple, but lacking any plain language reference materials, I'm once again at a loss. :-<

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I don't know of any discussions about the databases, but if you are looking for something pretty simple, you can probably get away with just using tables.

Databases are basically a collection of tables that you can sort and search through. You can easily replicate all that stuff though if it's not a big project.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Kay, I'll start there for now, but I might be back! Thanks!
    I used to make cakes.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Tables are faster, and can be easily loaded in and out of mudlet to save them. I know when I played with databases, I ended up with having mudlet hang several times. Probably because I suck at databases xD
    Okay, I am really hopeless. I can't even figure out a simple table. Anybody have tips or documentation that aren't the Mudlet manual or wiki, because they are inscrutable to me. All I want to do is make a list of items and give each one an assigned number value.
    I used to make cakes.

• The following is a very bad analogy, and I'm a self-learned lua fiddler, so take it with a grain of salt. But here's a good way of thinking of lua tables:

You are a book-keeper, and each lua table is a bookshelf that you own.

Let's say, you want to keep a record of all your belongings. You have 3 teacups, and 1 teapot, and you want to write the numbers down on different papers. In Mudlet, what you need to do is to put in the codebox of an alias the following:

teacup = 3
    teapot = 1

And that's it! Mudlet now remembers that this thing you call a "teacup" has a value of "3" etc. If you forget how many teacups you have, all you have to do is to look at that piece of paper, and you'll see the number you wrote on it. In mudlet, you do this by typing this in the codebox of a different alias:

display(teacup)

and you will see the number 3 displayed.

However, as your pile of papers grow, you realize you need to sort them all somehow, because you'll never be able to find out anything otherwise. That's where your lua tables (bookshelves) come in. So you find an old bookshelf in your cellar, and you dust it off. You put the papers for your teacup and teapot on that shelf, and you label it "cutlery". In order to do this in Mudlet, in the codebox you put this instead:

cutlery = {} (this one tells mudlet that you want the word "cutlery" to be that bookshelf, a lua table)
    cutlery.teacup = 3
    cutlery.teapot = 1

And to see ALL of your papers that are on the "cutlery" bookshelf, you do

display(cutlery)

and it'll show you something like this:

Note that you can store tables inside tables. So if you have 1 flowery teacup, and 2 broken teacups, instead of writing "3" on your piece of teacup paper, you can write instead:

cutlery.teacup = {}
    cutlery.teacup.flowery = 1
    cutlery.teacup.broken = 2

and when you do display(cutlery) again, it will show you this:

Hope this helps you understand lua tables a bit. Do note, however, that mudlet forgets all these tables and bookshelves when you close it. You can instruct mudlet to save it to an external notepad file everytime you log out, and load from that notepad file everytime you log in, but you'll need to look at the table.save and table.load functions in the mudlet lua manual.

Kay, got my table. Thanks a million, that was super helpful. Now to give a shot at utilizing the data before I come crying back here.
    I used to make cakes.

• Alias question!

I'm trying to make a script for shadowdance twist enemy tighten, where enemy is a variable, however, I can't figure out how to do it right. All of my other aliases are like: 

send("NATURE FAERIEFIRE "..enemy)

I've tried send("Shadowdance twist"..enemy "tighten"), but that doesn't seem to work :(
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Put a '..' after 'enemy' as well as before it.
    edited August 2015
    I think I know this one!

You'll need another two dots after the variable. And to make sure your spacing is correct, just imagine that the inner pair of quotation marks and everything between them are to be completely replaced by one word.

Ought to look something like send("Shadowdance twist " .. enemy .. " tighten")
    I used to make cakes.

• Spacing doesn't matter between the dots. send("shadowdance twist "..enemy.." tight") will work just as well.
    True. However send("shadowdance twist"..enemy.."tighten") would not!
    I used to make cakes.

• edited August 2015
    It would if the enemy variable was " namehere " ! (a space before and after the word)
    But yes, I know. I just meant between the " and the .. there doesn't need to be a space. :P
  • I'll be able to test this soon. Apparently, I don't even have the skill like I thought I did...so....when I tried to use it in a duel last night, that didn't work -- needless to say. 

Thanks!
    So I was setting up my standard defenses (after all this time, I know), just clicking the boxes to toggle as instructed. But now m&m starts putting up my defenses when I qq, my do list doesn't fire appropriately, and it insists on rubbing waterwalk even though I never added that to my defup list. Like... even after disconnect, it's trying to rub waterwalk. What did I do? :((
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    So I was setting up my standard defenses (after all this time, I know), just clicking the boxes to toggle as instructed. But now m&m starts putting up my defenses when I qq, my do list doesn't fire appropriately, and it insists on rubbing waterwalk even though I never added that to my defup list. Like... even after disconnect, it's trying to rub waterwalk. What did I do? :((
    You might have added your defenses to the 'empty' defense mode. Also you might have put waterwalk on keepup.

So if you did, do 'mmdefs empty' and 'mmshow keepup' and make sure it's actually empty.
  • Daraius said:

You could try reinstalling it. I know I had similar issues and a clean install and reconfigure fixed the situation.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
    I've had to wipe my laptop clean again, but this time I had the foresight to save a copy of my Mudlet profile to Dropbox. Will getting all my scripts and settings back be as simple as installing the trigger xml file with the package manager? m&m is in there too... That going to be problematic? :/
    I used to make cakes.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Daraius First of all, my condolences for laptop brainwipe. Those things are always painful and hurt.

Secondly, you should not be running into much problems, the mudlet package manager can, if my memory doesn't fool me, handle importing xmls gracefully even if they are not zip package format. Good luck!

*goes off trying to remember to make a backup tonight*

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks!. The wipe wasn't too bad this time, actually. All my documents (almost exclusively .txt logs of Lusternian letters and conversations) are safe on Dropbox. My Steam games and progress were really the only other data I had, and they were pretty minimal since it wasn't all that long ago that my friendly neighborhood computer tech charged me $90 to do the same thing I just did.

EDIT: Oops! One small problem. It's asking where my m&m folder is. Will I need to re-download anything or can I just create a folder to appease the system? Where should that be? What is it typically called?
    I used to make cakes.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Did you export your profile, and not save the actual Mudlet folder? m&m saves its settings to external files kept inside your Mudlet directory. It's a hidden folder called .config . If you really want to recover everything, you would have to save the folder or find the relevant files. Otherwise you'll have to go through the installation process again, and you'll have to rebuild your name database.
    So I want all my lovely family members' names highlighted in Shevat beryl. Right now I just have a highlight trigger with each name entered manually, but I suspect there's a much more efficient and effective way to go about it. Any tips?
    I used to make cakes.

I'm looking to edit my mudlet mapper to understand that I'm on balance while dreamweaving so I can speedwalk. Is there any way to add the @ from being in dreamform to my settings for my prompt in the mapper?
  • edited September 2015
    Look at the 'mmp.canmove' function. Add something to check if the sleep defence thing from dreamweaving is active. If it is, then return true. Should be easily done by checking m&m's active defences... If it's like svo in achaea (haven't checked yet) then m&m likely has a 'mapper_can_move' function instead.