What are you reading?

Comments

• Mysrai said:
    I keep reading and re-reading Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword. Glorious, glorious problematic space empire utopias with neurotic AIs, scarily unfathomable aliens, and a strong tradition of tea.
    That sounds... really good. Those are some of my favourite things.

I'm currently reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, Good Omens by Terry Prattchet and Neil Gaiman, The Court of Air by Stephen Hunt, and Fleur de glace by Kitty Sewell.

I kind of went places without a book to read and ended up ended up picking up another book or lent/forgot a book somewhere and only got it back recently. In the case of Fluer de glace... It's a very slow read full of much use of a French-English dictionary. I think the English title for the book is Ice Trap?
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Ancillary Sword, Waaaah? The next book is out and I totally am too busy to have noticed and probably wouldn't have if I didn't read this and argh must go buy now.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Mysrai said:
    I keep reading and re-reading Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword. Glorious, glorious problematic space empire utopias with neurotic AIs, scarily unfathomable aliens, and a strong tradition of tea.
    I just got Ancillary Justice from Amazon a few days ago! Really excited to get started, when I have some time.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I'm reading the mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson myself. It's got a really cool magic system.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm currently reading Celia Friedman's Coldfire trilogy. Finished with the first book, haven't quite started the second yet.

Also on my near-term to-read list are Rosemary Kirstein's Steerswoman series, the already-discussed Ancillary Justice (apparently I already bought it a month ago, and then forgot about the purchase entirely), and Steven Erickson's Willful Child. Speaking of Steven Erickson, I keep getting emails from Amazon about the release date for my pre-order of book two of the Kharkanas trilogy being pushed back and each time it gives me a sad.

I also need to get my hands on Godel, Escher, Bach at some point.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Having finished with Ligotti for the moment, I am continuing to delve into the antecedents of Weird Fiction with TS Eliot's The Waste Land (1922) and Hodgson's The Night Land (1912). 

The Waste Land is fantastic, though I could do with fewer Tristan and Isolde references.

With the Night Land, well not everything ages well. Yes yes Hodgson you really loved this girl and romance this romance that; MOVE ON. 
  • I'm going to steal that bodily, @Kaalak, the next time I chill with my homeys.
    </RANT>
  • edited January 2015
    Steal away @Delphas!

So to @Caffrey @Silvanus and anyone else who is tackling Asimov's Foundation series: If you get to Foundation and Earth and then wonder who the hell this Daneel and Giskard fellows are at the end, since it comes out of left field, read the Elijah Baley series starting with The Caves of Steel. They are hardboiled detective novels, heavy with robots, set in Asimov's universe shortly after the solar system and some other planets are colonized.  As with all of Asimov's work, they wrestle with interesting problems of logic and philosophy. Rejoice, you have more Asimov to discover.  
  • Aerotan said:
    So, finished it a while ago, but it still haunts my nightmares. "Outcasts and the Guild of the Orbs" or $20 I'll never have back. The book took me about a month to finish due to frequent sanity checks. Like, seriously, I'm not sure how it got published, but it was clearly never edited. utterly terrifying, honsetly.

Otherwise, waiting on the Dresden Files books to come out, and am current with Discworld. Also working my way through the Belgarion stories by the Eddingses. Finally finished Belgarath, Polgara, and Pawn of Prophesy through Enchanter's Endgame. Need to pick up the first of the Mallorean books next.
    After that, it's best to stop. Their other series are worth a read but only for hardcore fans. 

Don't get me wrong, I love their books but the humor gets stale after the belgarion and mallorean series. 

Silk and Velvet = the original power couple.
    is dead like the dodo
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Xeria said:
    Aerotan said:
    So, finished it a while ago, but it still haunts my nightmares. "Outcasts and the Guild of the Orbs" or $20 I'll never have back. The book took me about a month to finish due to frequent sanity checks. Like, seriously, I'm not sure how it got published, but it was clearly never edited. utterly terrifying, honsetly.

Otherwise, waiting on the Dresden Files books to come out, and am current with Discworld. Also working my way through the Belgarion stories by the Eddingses. Finally finished Belgarath, Polgara, and Pawn of Prophesy through Enchanter's Endgame. Need to pick up the first of the Mallorean books next.
    After that, it's best to stop. Their other series are worth a read but only for hardcore fans. 

Don't get me wrong, I love their books but the humor gets stale after the belgarion and mallorean series. 

Silk and Velvet = the original power couple.
    I actually enjoyed the trilogies with Sparhawk more (as did a friend who I was discussing it with recently when we were discussing the subject of easy books to get into of that genre-- the Belgariad / Malloread are definitely the easier), but they are essentially the exact same story (just with different characters / settings / 'magic system').

Their more recent series with the 4 different lands thing was pretty much a waste of my time though, especially with the ending.  Just didn't work for me.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Mysrai said:
    I've heard of it, but have yet to read it.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Saga volume 4 y'all. <3
    I used to make cakes.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Just finished reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson! Looking forward to Firefight!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited January 2015
    There's a series by R. Scott Bakker, starting with the "Prince of Nothing", and continuing into the more recent the "Aspect Emperor" trilogy.

Five out of these six books are published. The final one, "The Unholy Consult" has been for years rumoured to be released sometime early this year. Or released in two separate books.

If ANYBODY hears about this thing being actually published (it's likely going to be in Canada first, as Bakker and his publishers (who may or may not be dropping him), are Canadian, please, for the love of all that is holy, let me know ASAP. I want this book. I love this author.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Kim Harrison - Rachel Morgan series!
    is dead like the dodo
  • Recently been reading One hundred years of solitude from Gabriel Garcia Marquez, City from Alessandro Baricco and City of glass from Paul Austher.
    I recommend all of them.
  • Riluna said:
    There's a series by R. Scott Bakker, starting with the "Prince of Nothing", and continuing into the more recent the "Aspect Emperor" trilogy.

Five out of these six books are published. The final one, "The Unholy Consult" has been for years rumoured to be released sometime early this year. Or released in two separate books.

If ANYBODY hears about this thing being actually published (it's likely going to be in Canada first, as Bakker and his publishers (who may or may not be dropping him), are Canadian, please, for the love of all that is holy, let me know ASAP. I want this book. I love this author.
    I can look around for you. ;)
  • edited January 2015
    Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett.

Hello again Discworld, it's been too long since we've seen each other
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Speaking of revisiting books you haven't read in a while...

Tao Te Ching.
  • Iari said:
    Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett.

Hello again Discworld, it's been too long since we've seen each other
    Been threatening to get/make my SO listen to these, since we just finished Airbender. But I'm not sure I have $6914857197 to spend on Audiobooks, and it'd take us a year to get through them in 2 hour bursts.
  • "3.9.34.59.667: In order to maintain the quality of breeding stock and to maintain public decency, complementary colors are absolutely forbidden to marry. (Examples: Orange/ Blue, Red/Green, Yellow/Purple.)"

"2.4.01.03.002: Feedback may not be modified once given."

"9.3.88.32.025: The cucumber and the tomato are both fruit; the avocado is a nut. To assist with the dietary requirements of vegetarians, on the first Tuesday of the month a chicken is officially a vegetable."

"1.2.31.01.006: Anyone caught paying underprice or overprice for goods or services shall be fined."

Shades of Grey: High Road of Saffron by Jasper Fforde.

(strong resemblance to Hallifax)
    is dead like the dodo
  • Just finished American Gods. I'm still not sure who the unnamed God in the suit was in Vegas.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    @Xeria: I may have to check that out.  It could be the going on 24 hours without sleep, but those lines strike me as hilarious.

@Aerotan: I read American Gods I don't remember how long ago...and I don't remember it.  I'm going to have to read it again now.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    American Gods was so anti-climatic in my opinion. I was kind of let down by it

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Shades of Grey is very good.
  • edited March 2015
    The Passage, by Justin Cronin.

Another book that's horrible in the greatest way possible.

Edit: Just discovered plans for The Passage movie, directed by Ridley Scott (apparently). I hope it turns out okay.
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I am a giant nerd who was very upset when plot lines in Avatar the Last Airbender didn't quite add up. I was very glad to discover that the writers had/are doing comics to tie up all their loose lines, including the story about Zuko's mum. I can't wait until part four comes out!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    So I'm looking for some recommendations for audiobooks. I have a nice 11 hour drive coming up and need something to keep me sane.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    You could listen to all of Serial for free. Or there's the endless streaming archive of This American Life. But maybe you're not the kind of person who's kept sane by NPR podcasts. Red Mars is 24 hours long?
    I used to make cakes.

• I've never attempted to download it but Guild of the Cowry Catchers is good if you like fantasy. Quarter Share if you like sci-fi.