What are you reading?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Turnus said:

So I'm looking for some recommendations for audiobooks. I have a nice 11 hour drive coming up and need something to keep me sane.

Kevin Hearne the Iron druid Chronicles. :D The books are best enjoyed via audio book format.

Or the percy jackson series.

Try Garth Nix - Abhorsen, Sabriel, Liriel.
    is dead like the dodo
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Reading The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited March 2015
    Just powered through the Codex Alera. Never seen so much conversational Latin in my life.
  • Luce said:

Just powered through the Codex Alera. Never seen so much conversational Latin in my life.

I love Jim Butcher. I'm going to have to read these again.

Do you read the Dresden Files, as well? Those are even better. :D

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Riluna said:

Luce said:

I love Jim Butcher. I'm going to have to read these again.

Do you read the Dresden Files, as well? Those are even better. :D
    Oh absolutely. I still point to Michael Carpenter any time anyone asks me for an example of a Paladin. Or a good man. It's sort of comforting how PURE the man is, he's only been actually angry, what, twice in the series? And one of those in a side-story.
  • Reading material of late has looked like the following: last book I finished, The Mysterium, was a Paul Doherty  Hugh Corbett medieval mystery. Liked it for the interaction between Hugh and his traveling companion.
  • The  Phoenix Legacy - Sword of the Lamb

amazon.com/Sword-Lamb-Book-Phoenix-Legacy/dp/1626811164

is dead like the dodo
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Just finished reading Eragon and I'm about to start reading Eldest. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• I've been waiting for The Unholy Consult, by R. Scott Bakker for several years now. I desperately need this book! There's no publishing date yet, though the most recent news among the fanbase is that he has finished all the drafts and manuscripts.... but still no publishing date. :(

The publisher is Orbit, and is as Canadian as this author. It's coming out Soon(tm), so if any of you live in Canada, you're going to see this book first. And if you do see it, please let me know? :)

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • I'm reading Robin Hobb's new FitzChivalry book, Fool's Assassin. I forgot how much I like Fitz, even if he is rather morose. Or perhaps because he's morose. Not sure.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    The one bright side of being incapacitated by a migraine for an entire day was that I finished Ancillary Justice. I want to know so much more about the cultures and alien races of this universe, but I'm not terribly interested in Breq babysitting another person for half the book. Can anybody confirm how much of each I'll get from Ancillary Sword? 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • So much culture, more alien race. A lot more tea and political posturing, as well as imperialism. 

On an unrelated note, I just discovered this comic. I'm really enjoying it.

Kill Six Billion Demons
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Thayan said:
    I'm reading Robin Hobb's new FitzChivalry book, Fool's Assassin. I forgot how much I like Fitz, even if he is rather morose. Or perhaps because he's morose. Not sure.
    I read the first of the series a looooong time ago, and it was really good. I think the rest of them went downhill.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Ancillary Sword and Ready Player One arrived today. Where to begin? :-S
    I used to make cakes.

Update: Ready Player One is like a novel-length self-insertion fanfic of anything that existed in the 80's. If you have a major hardon for the decade, maybe there's something here for you in the plot and setting, but don't expect anything from the writing itself. Pretty bland prose throughout, but it'll make a great movie if Steven Spielberg takes some inspiration from, say, Scott Pilgrim Versus the World.
    I used to make cakes.

• I just finished reading Rosemary Kirstein's The Steerswoman. Very hearty recommendation, with the caveat that it's the start of an as-yet unfinished series so if that bothers you then you should probably wait on it.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Day by Day. I'm addicted to zombie dystopias.
  • I've been reading Temeraire lately and I have to say...

It starts off kind of how I would imagine a typical book to go set in the time peirod but with dragons added... 

But the sequels really remind of Indiana Jones, exotic adventures in exotic places! And then having dragons on top of that with a british naval captain for the pov character? Very fun.
  • Ahh, that's a nostalgic title. 

• FIRST CHAPTER OF ANCILLARY MERCY

Is it October yet?
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Daraius said:

Update: Ready Player One is like a novel-length self-insertion fanfic of anything that existed in the 80's. If you have a major hardon for the decade, maybe there's something here for you in the plot and setting, but don't expect anything from the writing itself. Pretty bland prose throughout, but it'll make a great movie if Steven Spielberg takes some inspiration from, say, Scott Pilgrim Versus the World.

I got the audiobook of ready player one and have been listening to it in the car while going to work etc. It's an interesting story, though I'm finding the 80s references are getting laid on a little too thick at times. Still fun to hear the references and seeing what I recognize (in moderation).

The setting is pretty damn dark, if you think about it. And the commentary on MMO's/the internet isn't exactly subtle.

All in all I'm interested in hearing what happens next though, and Will Wheaton voices the audio version perfectly.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I now refuse to share a room with a wedding cake ever again.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Terry prachett audiobooks
    is dead like the dodo
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Chimamanda Adichie's Americanah.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Finally got into Ancillary Sword! For some reason I couldn't get through the first chapter for the longest time, but I am totally on board now. Confession: Breq and @Vivet are indistinguishable from one another in my imagination. Not sure exactly how they became conflated, but it's been that way since Ancillary Justice, and it makes me like both characters even more than I would have otherwise. :\">
    I used to make cakes.

• non-ficition book reccomendations anyone?
    is dead like the dodo
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    The East Face of Helicon: West Asiatic Elements in Greek Poetry and Myths--Pretty much what it says in the title. Extremely thorough, but understandable enough that you shouldn't need any real background knowledge.

The Conquest of Nature: Water, Landscape, and the Making of Modern Germany--The epic tale of how German engineering triumphed over mother nature herself.

Histories--For a given value of non-fiction. Herodotus is a major source of ancient history (and a huge influence on future historians) but some of his stuff is probably nonsense. Some of the apparent errors might be due to transcription and other neat things, though. Linked translation is acceptable but not wonderful.

Airs, Waters, Places--My favorite book in the Hippocratic Corpus. Really cool primary source for ancient medicine.

Res Gestae-The autobiography of the great emperor Augustus himself. Grain of salt because he wanted to make himself look good, and it only really covers his reign. But it's neat. He had it inscribed in public spaces after his death. Great study in ancient propaganda.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    If I write an autobiography some day, I shall have it inscribed upon the walls of all the bathrooms in my house.