What are you reading?

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Daraius said:
    Apparently I did not order The Stars My Destination, but A Fire Upon the Deep by Verner Vinge. This one features a race of mind-linking dog aliens and that's about all I know so far!

I've consumed about 400 pages in the last couple days, and while I find it totally absurd that sentient mind-linking dog aliens would develop medieval technologies and architecture even remotely resembling human analogues, they sure are charming to read about. :x
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I have been reading a bit of science fiction lately (which is very off brand for me), but I've been enjoying it. Finishing up Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness before moving onto Joan D. Vinge's The Snow Queen
  • Codex Alera, not bad so far.
  • I'm a huge fan of Jim Butcher in general, with a preference for Dresden Files and Cinder Spires.  The first is a noir detective series set in the modern world, with wizards, fae, vampires and such.  The latter is a steampunk fantasy set in a world of huge, nation-spires separated by monser-laden mist, where trade and travel are done by airships.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. Not my favorite thing she's written but still good.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Melanie Rawn " Exiles" series.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Is Elantris one of Sanderson's High school works, because it feels really unpolished compared to Mistborn + Wax and Wayne, and Words of Radiance/Way of Kings
  • Luce said:
    Is Elantris one of Sanderson's High school works, because it feels really unpolished compared to Mistborn + Wax and Wayne, and Words of Radiance/Way of Kings
    As far as I'm aware it's his first published book, so yeah, it is on the rougher side. Personally I feel like a lot of his post finishing wheel of time stuff is markedly better than his pre finishing wheel of time.

I also found it really interesting to look at the excerpts from the earlier drafts of Way of Kings he has on his website and compare it with the finished product.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Been meaning to ask, did a certain Mistborn-trilogy character influence your choice of character names?
  • Nope. In fact I'm not sure I'd read the Well of Ascension yet when I made Allyrianne on Lusternia, and the character (sort of) predated Lusternia.
  • R. Scott Bakker's newest book is finaaaally out. I've been waiting for this one for years. :D

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm in the same position waiting for Jim Butcher to release more info for Peace Talks, his next Dresden Files book, which I am fully expecting to DEVOUR the day after it's released...
    Reading Dancing in the Baron's Shadow, a historical fiction thriller set in Haiti during Papa Doc's infamous dictatorship, where one man tries to free his brother from the notorious Fort Dimanche prison. It's pretty good so far. (Also the author is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    My wife picked up the newest Harry Potter book, and was entranced by it enough to read it in one night :/
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2016
    I was surprised to find that the "Lord Dreamer" is used quite often in Le Guin's The Word for the World is Forest. It is lovely, though a bit different than her other works. Finished The Dispossessed a couple days ago, and I will say that that is probably one of my favorite books in a long time.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    You know your werewolf book is reaching for the bottom of the barrel when:
    1) All the characters, who range in age from 16 to 60 so far, use the same tone, vocabulary, and cadence in spite of what the narration says and the fact that one is technically a PhD, two are cops, one is a waitress, a reporter, a trucker, a 'crazy' drunk, and two teens. One of the cops and one of the teens are mentioned to be part of the local first nations tribe, but don't even pay lip service to that. Haven't met the werewolf, but prospects aren't looking good.
    2) The narration uses almost the same tone, vocabulary, and cadence as all of the characters.
    3) The 'perspective chapters' all read the same, which is the same as point 2.
    4) The PhD in Cryptozoology A - thinks it's Bigfoot in spite of seeing huge wolf tracks, wolf fur, canine tooth impressions, and claw marks, B - had to be told what a loup-garou was. By the drunk. C - recieved the 'eureka' moment via seeing The Wolf Man. Yes, that one.
    5) The wolf has a howl that has been described as both unearthly and ear splitting, but the only people who've heard it are either suddenly dead or never mention it again. They'll talk all night about how they saw a little fur, or smelled wet fur, or heard growling or just felt uneasy. But the unnatural and unearthly howling? Not worth mentioning, they'll figure it out.
    Lmao, werewolf fiction, oh man. I had a friend who edited freelance for some of those and the things he'd tell me. Did not envy him.
    Daraius said:
  • Finished Codex Alera, now on to neuromancer. After that I'll be reading the powder mage series.
  • edited August 2016
    @Luce it sounds like one of those where the point of the plot is to make the beast with two backs out of the Main Characters as quickly as possible. XD

Which one is it? just out of curiosity?

-------------------------

I suggest Lynn Flewelling - Luck in the shadows series. No werewolves. Features a dashing pair of agent provocateurs who dash from one adventure to another. Completely PG with plenty of sweet tasty fade to black action.
    is dead like the dodo
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I like Luck in the Shadows, though the first book is certainly the strongest they all more or less hold up.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Loup-Garou: The Beast of Harmony Falls
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Do RPG rulebooks count? 'Cause Promethean: The Created's new edition just came out, and this is some great stuff. The fluff sections are borderline literature.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I've been really feeling a need to just read in general, so I went back and read the first HP book.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I cannot recommend Jim Butcher highly enough. I've read one book of his that I haven't liked, and it's because he wrote it on a bet (he won) and the sequels were much better.
  • Luce said:
    I cannot recommend Jim Butcher highly enough. I've read one book of his that I haven't liked, and it's because he wrote it on a bet (he won) and the sequels were much better.
    Furies of Calderon?
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Furies of Calderon.
  • I'm reading The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I read Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer in a day. Pretty cool, if lacking a little in resolution. I guess that's what the other two books are for. I did discover that it's going to become a movie by the guy behind Ex Machina, so I'm certainly excited to see how that shapes up. :)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'll be going through the Circle Open series by Tamora Pierce again (haven't read it in AGES) after I finish the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (though honestly why isn't it named after Perenelle, she's definitely the better of the two).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."