QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING

Comments

• Qistrel said:
    I blame this all 100% on @Tremula. You have been infiltrated and subverted.

Ha! I said hte same thing! Jokingly of course. but still funny

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Don't you just hate it when your RP is dictated by the consequences of the game?

I wish I could remove Patrons, I would've removed Fain immediately after his drunken escapade where he ordered his Order to kill members of the Iron Council because they dared to remove his shrine on Nil and replace it with a Raezon one, resulting in two people getting kicked from Magnagora (to be re-citizened, but lost all their privilege/Epics) and a third quitting the game entirely.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Well, we know what Talan writes about in her spare time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Talan said:

Mysrai said:
    Especially the bit about trying to eject Patrons from a City.
    Ssshhh. Here's how this plays out:

Portius wins, kicks out Isune for Reasons. She comes to Gaudiguch to drown her sorrows. Yomoigu shows up and says, "Now you know how it feels to be betrayed by your friends - so finally I can forgive you." Cut to, BFFs forever reunited, cupcakes and firemead for all. Zvoltz comes back, and is like, "Whaaa? Well, I guess we live in Gaudi now. I think I'll build some cool trapeze stuff for the Minstrels," and Isune says, "Indeed! That sounds terrific! I will paint the circus tents! Incidentally, there is far too much puce around this place. I got here just in time." Mysrai comes in like, "Cousins! Let's play pattycake with my manyhands." And Jadice thinks, "All of this is acceptable; I generally prefer my solitude anyway."

Please make no efforts to interfere with this course of events.
    You're forgetting the holy war that will be waged upon a @Portius that kicks @Isune out of Hallifax.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    This is when Entrias logs on and activates Protocol R99-Y, animating the kiosks and pedestals around the outer ring of the city into crystal robot golems, patrolling the wards for people suspected of anti-Hallifaxian, tainted activities.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Shaddus said:
    Well, we know what Talan writes about in her spare time.
    Yeah, where's all this fan fiction happening at? I'm betting someone's written some, at least.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Why haven't we built a giant mounted ion cannon on the top of Hallifax's biggest spire yet to shoot Drachou down is my greatest concern.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    ...This is a little silly.

Tremula said:
    Why haven't we built a giant mounted ion cannon on the top of Hallifax's biggest spire yet to shoot Drachou down is my greatest concern.
    We don't need to. We just fly over and land on top of Gaudiguch, flattening it in the process then fly off.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    OMG the city is mobile?

• Nyxx said:
    Everiine said:
    Yeah, that sorta bugs me too. I'm okay with the occasional reference, like Gaelic appearing in some places as old elfen, or French in Delport. But when an entire city is running around with blatant RL foreign language words as their titles, that's hugely annoying. I could understand if it was a few people having fun, but this is... too much.
     I fully agree with this. There are already numerous possible titles to choose from that are already in place, rank titles, ministry titles, etc. Why the need for a bunch of new ones that are completely confusing and have never had any base in the game before? then again the entire "Special language" thing has always annoyed my before. The Blacktalon with their crow tongue for example.. you already have that.. it's a skill that allows you speak in Crow so that only others who can speak that language can hear you. why the need for all the mor'k'al crud. Same goes for Serenwilde and it's use of archaic language as well.. if our characters were meant to be titled that or use those languages, those would be the languages they speak. They don't. It's annoying but meh. thats my opinion.
    the crowlanguage skill within Crow skillset was the biggest copout in my view when we asked for more crowtongue (that was back by the admins). I personally love all the special languages. What Portius could have done was created his own thing and purposed that. At least with the greek part, people would have some base of understanding.

To the comments from Mysrai. I wouldn't take the stuff as an insult ooc. Portius is rather against the gods in general and would rather see another age of vernals. What you do IC, however, is another matter.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    As to pointing out OOC language precedents in the game (at least snippets from NPCs), I'd like to point out Kiska from Kryden Valik.

Suddenly, the air thickens and something intangible clicks into place. Kiska Sidorov's head jerks to the side as an encompassing, alien intelligence twists her body. Her single blind eye comes alive with whirling grey and her mouth drops open into an agonizing, helpless scream, as though her very soul were being ripped from her body.

Kiska Sidorov exclaims, "No, no, no! He slumbers, but... biga! No! Naf blesio drugarhau!"

While I am unsure if 'biga' has a translation, the last thing she says is Welsh for 'Lord please have mercy!'

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Snippets are fine. Things that aren't used that often are fine.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    There's a big difference between canon snippets used by NPCs, and a whole city suddenly deciding ancient greek is their thing. Each to their own, I just find it irksome and non-sensical. I mean, did an ancient Lucidian crawl out of some bubble speaking it? That might make more sense to me.

• Lavinya said:
    There's a big difference between canon snippets used by NPCs, and a whole city suddenly deciding ancient greek is their thing. Each to their own, I just find it irksome and non-sensical. I mean, did an ancient Lucidian crawl out of some bubble speaking it? That might make more sense to me.
     I have to agree. it is non-sensical.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    And, truthfully, the excess use of whatever-language in the Spiritsingers irks me too. The Shofangi, not quite as much, as at least (to my knowledge) the entire language is fictional. I could be wrong.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    I think it's partially based on Mongolian? But could be wrong, just what I was told ages ago.

Hallifax has really gone to the dogs.

• Talan said:

Mysrai said:
    Especially the bit about trying to eject Patrons from a City.
    Ssshhh. Here's how this plays out:

Portius wins, kicks out Isune for Reasons. She comes to Gaudiguch to drown her sorrows.

Please make no efforts to interfere with this course of events.
    Pfft no. She comes to Glom to cry on Nochts sexy shoulders.....

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited June 2015
    Celina said:
    The titles are obnoxious, but I think that's their intent. Reminds me of the weird math club kids in high school making inside jokes no one else understood and cackling madly from their lunch table that no one else sat at. Of course, I've said in the past that I find Hallifax really cliche and difficult to interact with. Borg collective meets the Department of Motor Vehicles just isn't that engaging from an outsiders perspective.
    Man, you really know how to dole on the put downs and misery. I bet you were the school bully. :|

edit: inb4 that asinine argument that just because I'm offended doesn't mean you're being offensive.

• Tremula said:

Kiska Sidorov exclaims, "No, no, no! He slumbers, but... biga! No! Naf blesio drugarhau!"

While I am unsure if 'biga' has a translation, the last thing she says is Welsh for 'Lord please have mercy!'

I didn't know that. I thought it was just Lovecraftian gibberish.

@Twylyth I mean, I suppose Glom is a possibility, but I think we all know whose tattooed shoulder she'd be crying on.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Isune said:

Pejat said:
    Mysrai said:
    Especially the bit about trying to eject Patrons from a City. Strictly from my perspective - I don't see that being rewarding for the volunteers involved, or something that would lead to any other patrons becoming invested in the organization for a while, given the history.

*I do not know how to forum so the rest of this post will likely end up in the quote box.

I understand that both public Divine and behind the scenes Divine put a tremendous amount of work into the game for absolutely no compensation whatsoever. Their work also goes unthanked and often yelled at. Isune is an amazing Patron to have, and has carried out exceptionally detailed improvement after improvement to Hallifax. At least I assume it was Isune.

The road that the large scale story of Hallifax follows is in the hands of the volunteers. As players, we can only present RP opportunities for the Divine to latch onto. In the event that Portius wins, he will have the opportunity to work with the Divine of Hallifax to arrange compelling story such as a face off between himself and Isune.

It sounds as if Portius is saying "We don't want all the work you've done." I am certain that that is not at all what Portius was aiming for. He was aiming to roleplay as an exaggerated ego maniac. He was presenting himself to Hallifax as someone we could love to hate. I do want to thank you for clarifying how this came across as insulting. We do want to create engaging and entertaining RP, but we also want to avoid hurting people, especially those who have put so much effort into the game. If at any time the Divine do not feel they are being respected, I think we in Hallifax would welcome being alerted.
    I wasn't going to respond to this thread initially (particularly since the Quotes thread is woefully derailed already!), but I would like to address @Pejat's concerns.

I think it's clear--and Portius has made it clear--that his post was egged on by friends OOCly and was meant to be over the top and a bit silly. I read it as a love letter to Portius's IC dream of what Hallifax could or should be, and it just so happens that this version of Hallifax is one where the current pantheon wouldn't fit. Naturally, that would come off insulting ICly to the gods of Hallifax.

If Portius were elected, I doubt it would be mechanically possible for him to singlehandedly remove the entire pantheon from the city. Even if it was, that wouldn't just affect me as Isune's player, but every player in Isune, Jadice, and Zvoltz's orders. And I doubt they would react passively!

That said, yes, it is true that it can be stressful dealing with players who desire to foster conflict with your godrole. The same is true for dealing with players who want to foster conflict with other players. It can be exhausting, especially if it is prolonged, and especially if it's a conflict within one's own org. It's inevitable that at times that conflict can feel personal, even when rationally you know it's not.

Anyway, the real concern is how on earth anyone could expect to saddle poor @Drocilla with four more guilds and an entire org to patron?! That's so much work! At least I'd get to go on a vacation, haha.
    Well, you could always move to Magnagora. I have this whole godrealm I'll sell loan you for a song. Slightly full of maggots.