ur'Traps!!

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Estarra said:
    Environments have nothing to do with the cookies; rather it is the trap type (physical, mystic, ghost) that determines the cookie. So it'd be (relatively) easy to do a ghost forest environment!

I understand wanting the RP for stuff like this (believe me, I do!), but since no one really sees the traps or anything about them (except possibly the monster when it's released), I didn't think it mattered much!

Anyway, I'll look at introducing maybe a forest trap or a few different hunters or something.  Suggestions?
    1    Urtrap    Physical  A pyramid trap                 Desert        15db
    4    Urtrap    Ghost     A mysterious box               Urban         15db
    7    Urtrap    Mystic    A runed steel trap             Valley        15db

I think the issue right now is just that the sets we have are environmentally locked; if you want physical, you are stuck in the desert.  Having a set of traps for each type for the environments would also be swell (so you can buy a physical desert trap, or a physical forest trap, or a ghost forest trap, etc).

Turnus said:
    So is a forest trap in the cards? I'm going to hold off on getting anything, so if one comes out - please announce or changelog about it!
    I too am waiting for forest-traps.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    All this talk of traps is getting me bot and hothered. (Not really, but whatevs)
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Enyalida said:
    All this talk of traps is getting me bot and hothered. (Not really, but whatevs)
    wut
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited September 2013
    Go ahead. Google the word 'trap' with safesearch off. Your anguish feeeeeeds me.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • I'll try and get some a forest ghost set out by tomorrow.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited September 2013
    I feel like ur'Whatever is turning into the Lusty version of iWhatever. Also, thanks @Talan for spoiling the ur'Whatever jokes forever.

EDIT: As to the questions about power, I feel that it's most likely the ability of the trap to actually hold the critter it captures. I caught one that ran away instantly. :(

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • play starchord jackalope
    You play a stately chord on a crwth-style bowed lyre and direct the notes towards a small mystic jackalope.
    Holy fire erupts at the feet of a small mystic jackalope and engulfs him.
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    The charred corpse of a small mystic jackalope collapses in a heap of white ash.
    You have slain a small mystic jackalope.
    A small quantity of sovereigns spills from the corpse.
    A golden carrot tumbles out of the corpse of a small mystic jackalope.
    Iytha said:
    play starchord jackalope
    You play a stately chord on a crwth-style bowed lyre and direct the notes towards a small mystic jackalope.
    Holy fire erupts at the feet of a small mystic jackalope and engulfs him.
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    The charred corpse of a small mystic jackalope collapses in a heap of white ash.
    You have slain a small mystic jackalope.
    A small quantity of sovereigns spills from the corpse.
    A golden carrot tumbles out of the corpse of a small mystic jackalope.
    I feel like you should bug that, not post it.
  • DysDys
    edited September 2013
    Why? They're supposed to occasionally drop golden bait.
    Dys said:
    Why? They're supposed to occasionally drop golden bait.
    Oh, they are?  Then never mind!  I read it as it dropped the bait used to summon it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Estarra said:

I'll try and get some a forest ghost set out by tomorrow.

And maybe a water one?

It could be a kappa. ;)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Wooo for the newest changelog. There are now forest ghosts for me to harvest!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Requesting a one time - no take backs swap from urban ghost setups to forest ones please!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Well I have had my second escape of a small creature in a row on the steel trap.  The second trap has yet to trigger a first time.  I will reserve judgment until then, but it does seem like the escape rate may be too high.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect us to use only an upgraded trap for us to have a decent chance of catching the critter especially in light of the fact that I did use a lvl 1 circle and lvl 2 contract with the trap.

--[ ur'Trap Setup 1 ]---------------------------------------------------------
    Environment: Valley
    Trap:        a runed steel trap (37)            Level:     1
    Circle:      a circle of pink salt (39)         Level:     1
    Contract:    a faeling ranger (38)              Level:     2
    Bait:        Normal Bait                        Uses:      6
    **********************************[ ACTIVE ]**********************************
    Room:      among some solitary trees          Days Left: 15
    Area:      the Oleanvir Valley

--[ ur'Trap Setup 2 ]---------------------------------------------------------
    Environment: Urban
    Trap:        a mysterious box (76)              Level:     1
    Circle:      None                               Level:     0
    Contract:    None                               Level:     0
    Bait:        Normal Bait                        Uses:      9
    **********************************[ ACTIVE ]**********************************
    Room:      within a shuttered storefront      Days Left: 4
    Area:      the Meliashmora of Imperial Secrets

Circle and contract don't increase trap power, so I don't see why you think those should affect it. Special bait and trap level are the things that influence escape chance. Since I upgraded my trap to lvl 3, I've successfully caught two critters and one was in the trap for several hours (while I was sleeping)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • It's hard to extrapolate percentages from just a couple of tries. You could just be unlucky.  My level 1 traps seem to be about a 90% success on small monsters (i.e., 2 in 20 escape).
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited September 2013
    I'm at 2 for 3 escaping!

Edit: I'm now at 3 for 4 escaping. That's only a 25% success rate :(

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    4/4 so far \o/

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

2 out of 3 not escaping. First go, trap was level 1, so I'm chalking it up to that.

• Are there going to be more forest things? Like further expansion? I'd adore a forest mythical set...
  • I just had my other trap escape.  So now that is 3 in a row with escapes.
  • I would like to report a 100% capture rate. Clearly all of you are doing something wrong. :P
  • Perhaps I am doing something wrong as we just had the fourth escape in a row now.  And yes, all escapes have been small creatures so it shouldn't be an issue with the trap not having enough power for the creature.  I am well aware that RNG can occasionally result in bad luck, but this is getting ridiculous.  I am no expert in odds, but aren't the chances of this supposed to be like 1000 to 1?

I don't mean to be a pain, but this is frustrating to want to try out and new feature and be screwed by RNG.
  • Ouch. That's probably still just being unlucky. If a small creature has a 18% chance to escape the lowest power trap, four in a row would be about 1 in 1000. We don't know what the actual chance is yet. Could be 20% or even higher. I've had one capture and one escape.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I'm not really a huge fan of the way trap-type is tied to environment. From reading the help file I was under the impression it was dependent on bait. Nice that forest was added - just don't like it being tied only to esteem gain. Open up more environment/trap type combos in general!

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    Hrm, finally had a trap fail according to status, oddly though every trap I've ever set has always caught something. Yet bait was also consumed with the premise that I set up a failed attempt.

How bizaare.

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Morkarion said:
    Hrm, finally had a trap fail according to status, oddly though every trap I've ever set has always caught something. Yet bait was also consumed with the premise that I set up a failed attempt.

How bizaare.
    Think of it like a mouse trap. Sometimes you set a trap and it gets the mouse. Sometimes it doesn't get the mouse and the cheese is there. Sometimes the mouse drops down from the ceiling on thread, with rope around its waist, takes the cheese, and then has its mice buddies lift it out of danger's way.