General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2015
    In a lot of the country it has a legal monopoly. No competition allowed. Thus, it is a choice between Comcast or no internet at all.

Edit: As far as wired internet goes at least, though there are parts of the country where satellite or across-the-air does not work well either.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    That's not just Comcast. In a lot of the country whatever cable internet provider is in the area has a legal monopoly on the cable internet in that area. Your region will only have Cox, or Comcast, or TWC, or whomever, and if you don't like it you get DSL or dial-up through your phone company (for all 10 of you who use landlines), satellite if your area can support it, or you get a laptop and only have internet access in public spaces like libraries, cafés, or the odd restaurant or store. 

It's not a dissimilar situation for most utilities providers, but unlike electricity, gas, water, etc. ISPs in the US have no real regulatory oversight.
  • Chirbo said:
    I don't know why so many of you use comcast
    Because thanks to ISP region monopolies, most of us don't have any other viable alternative.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Golly, you guys are making me nervous about having just signed up with Comcast... 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Man.  Comcast sucks.  Because of them, we can't get HBOGO on our PS3.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    +1 to Comcast being garb.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I always thought Comcast was the worst. Then I had to use Windstream while I was living in middle of nowhere Kentucky, and now I think Windstream is the worst, and Comcast is only runner-up worst. At least with Comcast we usually got what we paid for, but with Windstream, we were lucky to even have half the speed we were supposed to have, especially in the winter when it became common to not have a connection at all for hours at a time. Of course, it was our only option. :-w ISP monopolies are completely awful. When there's no competition, there's no real motivation for companies to be decent to their customers.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Phoebus said:
    with Windstream, we were lucky to even have half the speed we were supposed to have, especially in the winter when it became common to not have a connection at all for hours at a time.
    That's exactly the problem we had with Comcast. Then, when we moved to our new apartment, they tried to slap me with a $100+ charge for 'previously unpaid bills', when...my bill had been paid every month, on time. So I told quite a few of them to suck my ass, kept their modem, and now I just use the free hotspot capability.

Your move, Comcast.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I thought Comcast was bad until I got Verizon fios. The I realized all American ISPs are bad
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have high hopes for Google Fiber, but I'm not sure I want to move to a different city just to get a good internet connection. It is a little bit tempting.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Phoebus said:
    So basically, everyone sucks, so cross your fingers and hope your city is blessed by the Fairy Googmother. 
    Or that local cable laws are repealed, allowing for actual competition between cable providers.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Part of it is the infrastructure, it actually just costs a TON to set up good fiber lines to serve as your pipeline, and then you need server clusters to act as the gateways, equipment for all of your customers, advertising your presence in the area, and all of that is before you get a single dime of return revenue. No one event wants to try to muscle in on someone else's turf on a maybe.
  • It's my favorite when I try to quit one ISP, only to discover the new one is also comcast. They pretend they have different names just to mess with me. :(

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Having to stop what I'm doing in game because like... I need to pay attention at work.
  • On loudspeaker, two people insisting that they don't have a password for their email account (which is also their username for their internet account)
    Me: explains why that's not possible and they most likely just had it saved in their mail client
    Customer: I understand what you're saying but you're wrong we never had a password ever.

Me:
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Art studies are destroying my soul and patience. But maybe I can finally stop being like totally artistically stagnant and disappointed with everything I make if I keep at it. Completely my own fault for not grinding out the fundamentals when I started drawing and wasn't completely set in my ways yet.  :(( Teenager me was too focused on cheating things to look right instead of learning to do it proper, and now I have to break all that down in addition to building up the new skills. Bleh!
  • @Phoebus hang in there! pace yourself, grit your teeth, hogtie yourself to the chair and juuust do it. it'll be worth it in the end!
    is dead like the dodo
  • GRRRRRRRRRR...old anger at an ancient situation.

sorry lusternia, i needed to vent that out somewhere.

is dead like the dodo
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited December 2015
    The weather during my 6 day visit to Texas included 80 degree weather, tornados, snow that caused a state of emergency, and 24 hours of rain and flooding.
  • edited December 2015

Celina said:
    The weather during my 6 day visit to Texas included 80 degree weather, tornados, snow that caused a state of emergency, and 24 hours of rain and flooding.

Also, thanks to all of the snow, everyone at my office is working from home. That means we're all going through the same VPN access point. That ALSO means that I can't connect to the network and get what I need to done!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yeah, it's colder here in Texas than it has been all fall and winter (during the day) at my home up on an Appalachian mountain :C
  • Do you all realize how bloody difficult it is to do anything at all in the world when someone is ripping siding off your walls and pounding on things with hammers and running power tools and this is all at most 20 feet away from you with a single extra wall between that isn't really between because the wall being pounded on is the exterior wall that all the rooms in your apartment share and I'm this close to shoving someone off my damned patio porch thing aaaaaaaaaa.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Ieptix said:
    Do you all realize how bloody difficult it is to do anything at all in the world when someone is ripping siding off your walls and pounding on things with hammers and running power tools and this is all at most 20 feet away from you with a single extra wall between that isn't really between because the wall being pounded on is the exterior wall that all the rooms in your apartment share and I'm this close to shoving someone off my damned patio porch thing aaaaaaaaaa.
      zap them, o mighty one! or give them one of those cookies you gave yarou, except suppository-style so they'll be shitting curryfish hahhhahahhaa

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ieptix said:
    RIP Lemmy. :C

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The realization has set in that I can't be depressed. I can't afford to give up, flop down in my bed and lament my life and how everything seems to hit me at once. Someone has to pay the bills and support my family emotionally and physically, so I have to put off my mental breakdown for a while.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    The realization has set in that I can't be depressed. I can't afford to give up, flop down in my bed and lament my life and how everything seems to hit me at once. Someone has to pay the bills and support my family emotionally and physically, so I have to put off my mental breakdown for a while.

Big hugs, my friend. 

My heart goes out to you. Please try to take care of yourself. 
  • Aeral said:
    Shaddus said:

Big hugs, my friend. 

My heart goes out to you. Please try to take care of yourself. 
    Yeah big hugs...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim: