General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm getting more and more tired after I eat, except after breakfast.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Eat more energy-packed foods! Try for things high in protein and low in fat?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Rancoura said:
    Eat more energy-packed foods! Try for things high in protein and low in fat?
    It's right after I eat--I crash, and feel like it's a struggle to stay awake. About an hour later, if I don't nap, I'm usually fine again.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

edited February 2016
    Hmm. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but it sounds like your digestive process is using up a wackload of energy. So that brings us back to my point of eating high-energy foods and maybe cutting down on carbs and the like (carbs have an inclination to make you sleepy!)

Basically eating things that are easier to digest might help.

Before an earthly flight

• It could also be what you're eating. I know that if I have foods that are high in sugar -- fruit, some cereal, etc -- I'll crash after a couple of hours, thus forcing me to eat more sugary foods to keep energized.

A good idea is to eat food with lots of protein. In the morning, have eggs! Maybe some other meat product (though not necessarily bacon or sausage, as the pre-packaged stuff is usually loaded with sugar).

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'm a fan of turkey bacon. Especially the low sodium stuff. My wife and I will usually do something along the lines of eggs and mystery veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, kale, broccoli, something from that), cottage cheese, beans, a low sugar fruit, and turkey meat product. Other days, we'll swap in oatmeal for the eggs and veggies. I like the steel cut stuff, cook it with water and add turkey meat product, mushrooms, beans and a bit of cheese, make a nice breakfast casserole. Alternatively, just eat dinner for breakfast.
    Tarkenton said:
    I'm a fan of turkey bacon. Especially the low sodium stuff.

This. I'm part of the 0.01% who don't actually like the traditional pork bacon (so salty and greasy, ew), but low-sodium turkey bacon is scrumptious.

Before an earthly flight

• So, it snowed today and the roads are in terrible shape. I had a lot of errands that needed to be done, so I called my dad and asked if I could drive his SUV around, figuring that the AWD would be safer than me trying to navigate my little compact through a bunch of narrow, hilly, unplowed backroads

So it's a Porsche Cayenne, and it's fucking terrible. I don't know what kind of paint they were huffing when they made this POS, but it had to have been expired. It is the worst, most unintuitive garbage nonsense I've ever had the misfortune to drive. Not only could the ABS not handle any amount of slush (At one point I had to drive into a snow bank to avoid a collision, slowing from 20mph over about 10 car lengths), the thing was fishtailing on every single turn. The sensors that enable... everything... from the 4WD to the defroster to the wipers, lights, and door locks... are all tediously slow to respond to conditions. It is like RL-driving in net-lag. Don't even get me started on the parking break. "Hey, I know, let's reinvent the wheel, and make it more square-shaped!"

They have some fucking nerve packaging this clunker into a luxury brand. My friend has a $4000 used Jeep that outperforms this thing across the board.

Also the seats heat unevenly, right butt cheek is far warmer than left.

Do not. Do not. Do not. More expensive != better.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    "Stand up for yourself." "Grow a spine." "Don't let people walk all over you." "Speak up."

Ok, mom, great advice. So how about you don't laugh at me and dismiss my feelings whenever I try to stand up to you? Do you not count? Am I required to quietly agree with everything you ever say to me, to allow you to talk down to me and tell me to my face that I'm stupid? Why do you think I might have trouble feeling like what I want matters at all? Do you think, maybe, the way you've always treated me might have something to do with it? ~X( Hhrrrhrghrghghr. Today, I am annoyed.
    Talan said:
    So it's a Porsche Cayenne, and it's fucking terrible.

I found your problem. It's built to make you look like all fabulously wealthy. But like the fabulously wealthy, all the work is actually done by the cheap guy trucking it at the bottom.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm beginning to be seriously concerned that I may be harder on myself than I need to be with respect to writing, or not hard enough. I've always assumed that every writer and artist worth the title is hard on him or herself, and that it was fairly normal, but I've caught myself questioning my own value as a person a lot lately, and part of that is tied to the fact that I haven't been writing anything of substance or value. I've barely been roleplaying, I've not written anything longer than a paragraph or two in several months, and what little I do write feels rough and anemic. I can see that I can do better, and I know I can do better, but I can't ever work up the motivation to do better, and I can't tell if my criticisms of laziness and half-assery are legitimate or not.

I think I need the kind of help that charges in 45 minute blocks.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Every day I have to wake my kids up for school, poking and prodding and whip cracking to get them moving. Saturday? Everyone is up -earlier than I get them up for school- and annoying Mummy who just wanted a little sleep in. Oh but they left Daddy alone. He's still in bed. Grrrrrrrr.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited February 2016
    Luce said:
    I'm beginning to be seriously concerned that I may be harder on myself than I need to be with respect to writing, or not hard enough. I've always assumed that every writer and artist worth the title is hard on him or herself, and that it was fairly normal, but I've caught myself questioning my own value as a person a lot lately, and part of that is tied to the fact that I haven't been writing anything of substance or value. I've barely been roleplaying, I've not written anything longer than a paragraph or two in several months, and what little I do write feels rough and anemic. I can see that I can do better, and I know I can do better, but I can't ever work up the motivation to do better, and I can't tell if my criticisms of laziness and half-assery are legitimate or not.

I think I need the kind of help that charges in 45 minute blocks.
    Hi Luce! I think it's perfectly normal to be hard on yourself about writing, but hopefully writing is something that you also enjoy. What makes me clam up as a writer is when I think everything I write has to be brilliant. Most people don't spin gold the moment they sit down to type, and it's okay to write things that aren't as good as you'd like them to be. When I teach students I emphasize that writing is a process, and that when we start out writing we have to give ourselves permission to write imperfectly if we ever want to reach a more polished final product. You can always revise something that already exists, but it's daunting to face a blank page expecting perfection from yourself. If you write anything, you are a writer. You don't lose the right to calling yourself a Writer(tm) just because every so often you write something that isn't up to snuff; if that were true, no one would be allowed to call themselves a Writer(tm).

Take everything one step at a time. Make tiny goals, if you can. I find it's much easier to tell myself, "I will write one chapter this week," than it is to tell myself, "I will finish this novel by the end of the year." 

I also firmly believe that every bit of writing you do--yes, even RPing in Lusternia, yes, even massive blog posts--is still practice working with words. Don't discount it, even if it's not the writing you would rather be doing. It's still valuable experience, just in a different medium and genre. One reason I like writing for Lusternia is it gives me permission to write more freely, without as much expectations, and with the pleasure of instant gratification. That's a worthy thing, I think.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Talan said:
    I don't know what kind of paint they were huffing when they made this POS, but it had to have been expired. 
    I liked your post for this quip alone. Just saying. Good luck with all the snow and stay safe!

That aside, @Phoebus

Without having too much to go on here, I feel inclined to comment because I feel it's important. Your questions do need to be posed. This is a conversation you do need to have. Not to be right, or even necessarily to reach a resolution. If you only think she knows these things, and they haven't been explicitly discussed, then that sort of open honesty is the most important thing you can express. Because eventually, some day, you will find yourself unable to have that conversation. And I find that tends to be the worse of the two situations.

• I found the one butt cheek a significantly different temperature than the other most amusing. I don't belive I've experienced that. And no I'm not going to apply a blowtorch, thanks dear reader.
    Vivet said:
    That aside, @Phoebus

Without having too much to go on here, I feel inclined to comment because I feel it's important. Your questions do need to be posed. This is a conversation you do need to have. Not to be right, or even necessarily to reach a resolution. If you only think she knows these things, and they haven't been explicitly discussed, then that sort of open honesty is the most important thing you can express. Because eventually, some day, you will find yourself unable to have that conversation. And I find that tends to be the worse of the two situations.

I wish I could say I've never expressed how I felt to her before, and that bringing it to her attention might cause her to change her behavior, as that would be much less frustrating than the reality. The reality is, the first time I tried to talk to her about this (relatively recently, after moving back home), she turned it into a multiple days argument and accusations of my attacking her that she wouldn't let drop until I gave up and told her she was right, and that it was unreasonable of me to wish to be treated differently. I don't know in what universe a person who is tearfully attempting to explain their feelings while being screamed at is the one who is doing the attacking, but it is apparently the one I agree I exist in so I can continue having a place to live.
  • edited February 2016
    Cute, funny, smart girl in a class I'm taking. Coincidence keeps throwing us together, so I decide I kinda like her. She makes a few moves to indicate she kinda likes me. I ask for facebook friends so I can stalk her and later spend an hour chatting with her over messages.

I decide to ask her out. Just lunch, nothing super formal, just a chance to get to know her better.

Clinicals happen, and we even get paired up for the day. Still, I can't find a chance to ask her, since I don't want a  lot of people around and there are always people around. The day ends, and I still haven't found a chance to ask her.

So I start another IM conversation with her, and ask her to go to lunch sometime.

It's been about 40 minutes with no response, which I guess is a response.

:(

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
    Maybe she's afk! You don't know! My parents almost never started dating because my dad left my mother a note asking her out, and due to shenanigans, she didn't see the note until enough time had passed that he'd already concluded she wasn't interested. So she had to hunt him down and explain what had happened, haha. Which is to say, you never know what's going on!

Next time see if you can try in person. Good luck!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Divorce law when you live in a different state from your spouse is really confusing! It seems like the only way I'm going to get specific information on this garbage is if I talk to a lawyer or something, because holy crap the internet can't give me a straight answer on any of the details. I just want this to be done with and behind me, already. Please, law, please be comprehensible to me.

I wish I had never gotten married. :(
  • To clarify I agree you should speak to a professional, not that you shouldn't have gotten married. 

If you have more time than money on your hands in general a public library should/may have a list of local attorneys who are available for pro bono questions at a set time per month or whenever schedule is available.  If you don't live in a city that has a public library that does this, perhaps call the information desk of a public library in a city where there is a well known law school.  The point being graduates are always hustling for experience/jobs and should be able to help with basics. 

You may also consider posing your specific question to law websites like Avvo 

There are also NOLO's guides to divorce. I don't recommend doing it on your own, HOWEVER reading a guide is a good idea to get an overview of the process, what codes are relevant and help direct your questions to an attorney. 

As I understand it (I've only spoken to friends about their divorces, and one very lovely and sharp lady lawyer has had multiple experiences and tips on how to streamline the process :D) where you and your ex are currently legal residence is the first step.  For example if your ex moved to state XYZ but isn't technically a legal resident of that state yet he may be a legal resident of your state and things could be easier for you. 

Unless you have a reason for a deadline @Phoebus, consider this a learning experience about a very complex subject where you have no time limit.  Removing the emotional component, the process of law is really quite interesting. 

Best of luck. 
  • edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:
    Maybe she's afk! You don't know! My parents almost never started dating because my dad left my mother a note asking her out, and due to shenanigans, she didn't see the note until enough time had passed that he'd already concluded she wasn't interested. So she had to hunt him down and explain what had happened, haha. Which is to say, you never know what's going on!

Next time see if you can try in person. Good luck!
    My dear @Sylandra, though your optimism is a light shining in the darkness in contrast to the black hole of cynicism I make my comfy home in, and your lovely family story not withstanding; you have never dated a woman. :)

Having said that, good luck @Stratas. Three day rule. 
  • Someone who has spent a decent amount of time dating women. :)  And who has reached a point where one can say what one thinks. 
    I just find being upfront is always preferable to dancing around things. I'm a huge proponent of closure. An afk response on the Internet could mean five million things. A conversation in person is more cut and dry. Hence why I stand by my advice!

(Also when did I ever say I never dated a woman, Mr. Heteronormative Herman? You don't know me, you don't know my life!)
    Daraius said:
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Dating is icky. I generally advise against it in all circumstances. :-B
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with Kaalak in that I would never date a woman.