Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited May 2016

Xenthos said:

I'm not attacking you
    Makes snide comments like
    Xenthos said:
    Hey, if seeing a clique everywhere you look makes you happy, then by all means!

Xenthos said:
      Then I shrugged, and decided if you want to include yourself as a Clique-Conspiracy-Theorist, who am I to argue?
    What is even Xenthos (and his regime).

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It is not an attack on her, it is an attack on the notion / argument that cliques are all-pervasive and you can hit one simply by throwing a rock. Note how I referenced another thread and how, once I remembered it, things fell into place; that is because I was incredibly confused as to what was going on. Then something was tickling my brain about Riluna and cliques... and eventually the previous thread popped in. "Aha!" I say to myself, "It is not about me, it is simply a person conveying their distaste for cliques and pinning it on an unrelated comment." Thus, the responses aimed specifically at that. :) Yes, they are snide comments, but there is nothing wrong with a snide comment or two. You even like to use them yourself (gasp, horror).
    edited May 2016
    Normally I'd believe you about you attacking the notion, and I'd have the tact not to say otherwise, but since you're so good at reading intent of people over the forums/internet and telling them why they really did x y z for (see: demartel), you can consider me unconvinced. :)

Maligorn said:
    Normally I'd believe you about you attacking the notion, and I'd have the tact not to say otherwise, but since you're so good at reading intent of people over the forums/internet and telling them what they really did x y z for (see: demartel), you can consider me unconvinced. :)

Sure, it's your right to believe whatever you want. It seems a bit weird to say that you believe it while in the same sentence professing not to, but you're welcome to post points that make no sense if you wish!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Jesus - Your reading comprehension is really off @Maligorn

Did Demartel sit around on prime while we absolved doing other things rather than fight the absolve, or was he afk somewhere in a manse not doing other things while we absolved?

If the answer is A) then yes, we're pointing out that he (as well as others) were fighting one minute and then avoiding conflict the next by sitting around on prime doing other things.

If the answer is B) Then we're not talking about him and are talking about the people sitting around on Prime doing other things when moments before they were fighting in Etherglom and left once they didn't have the clearcut advantage anymore. 

You sit here and cherry pick your arguments and statements without taking the entire context into consideration, and it just makes you look silly. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited May 2016
    Actually, I was sitting around on Ethereal AFK (doing nothing, because I was AFK) while you absolved. I did not realise that AFK was only sanctioned by the <insert new name for South here> if done in a manse. I will remember this in the future so as not to cause confusion with your semantics.

edit:: Also, I don't know what your idea of clear cut advantage is, but for the majority of that 3 hour engagement, we were fighting even numbers, under discretionary and shrine powers, with no meld because we  cannot meld Ethereal Glomdoring.
  • Demartel said:
    Actually, I was sitting around on Ethereal AFK (doing nothing, because I was AFK) while you absolved. I did not realise that AFK was only sanctioned by the <insert new name for South here> if done in a manse. I will remember this in the future so as not to cause confusion with your semantics.

edit:: Also, I don't know what your idea of clear cut advantage is, but for the majority of that 3 hour engagement, we were fighting even numbers, under discretionary and shrine powers, with no meld because we  cannot meld Ethereal Glomdoring.
    Why would you be afk in a war zone? Of prime planes are literal war zones.
  • edited May 2016
    Othero said:
    Demartel said:

Why would you be afk in a war zone? Of prime planes are literal war zones.

Ethereal Nexus is hardly a war zone. The worst that could happen is someone come in and zap me, shield stops that. I can link to the nexus though, refill my reserves and run off and do the things IRL I need to do. When I am expecting to be gone for a long period, then I go to my manse, when I am hoping to only be gone for 10 - 20 minutes I don't bother. However, as kids are fickle creatures, sometimes 10 - 20 minutes turns into an hour or longer and me ending  up singing my favourite lullaby to my son "Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep before daddy strangles you..." (Anyone with young children should understand this lullaby at times)
  • Yeah I don't think anyone is actually criticizing you for being afk for 20 minutes or however long, it happens. Just that the rules state you can't do it, and so everyone naturally assumes if you are sitting at your nexus, you are not afk.

It's not some insidious Southern ploy or Sidd arguing semantics. It's just the rules, and assuming people are following them. 
  • ^ So very very true
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Yep, still hate quests. Wish I could figure out the leap of moon logic I need here.
  • Tarkenton said:
    Yep, still hate quests. Wish I could figure out the leap of moon logic I need here.
    Which quest?

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

I earned triple butt appreciation. Thanks.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
    Synkarin said:
    -snip-
    No, I don't think you're getting it. So let me attempt to be more clear instead of bringing your reading aptitude into question.

I -really- don't care about the ethglom raid -> absolve thing. That's just a case of group a whining that group b didn't PK the way group a wanted them to.

What's ruffling my feathers is that Xenthos had the gall to assume something about Demartel's real life and why he was AFK, and then proceed to tell him he's wrong as if he knows Demartel better than Demartel. To me, it's an absolute cardinal sin among gamers to make assumptions about someone's RL motivations. If Synkarin told me or mentioned on the forums that he wasn't PKing as well as he normally would because of his children, feeling sick, or otherwise, I would immediately take it at face value. There's like, no questions asked when it comes to that kind of stuff.

So yes, that's why I'm making a big fuss about Xenthos's tomfoolery.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Know what grinds my gears? The lack of Tweets in Tweets VII.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Maligorn said:
    Synkarin said:
    -snip-
    No, I don't think you're getting it. So let me attempt to be more clear instead of bringing your reading aptitude into question.

I -really- don't care about the ethglom raid -> absolve thing. That's just a case of group a whining that group b didn't PK the way group a wanted them to.

What's ruffling my feathers is that Xenthos had the gall to assume something about Demartel's real life and why he was AFK, and then proceed to tell him he's wrong as if he knows Demartel better than Demartel. To me, it's an absolute cardinal sin among gamers to make assumptions about someone's RL motivations. If Synkarin told me or mentioned on the forums that he wasn't PKing as well as he normally would because of his children, feeling sick, or otherwise, I would immediately take it at face value. There's like, no questions asked when it comes to that kind of stuff.

So yes, that's why I'm making a big fuss about Xenthos's tomfoolery.
    Let's see.  We've already established that:
    1) Demartel was not AFK when the absolve started, according to both Demartel himself and Rivius; he was looking for a fight in Faethorn (Rivius even claimed that they were standing in Faethorn when it started and decided to not bother).
    2) Demartel stayed on Ethereal while "AFK," blatantly breaking the game's rules by his own admission.
    3) Demartel was on posting on the forums about the absolve while it was happening -- which, when combined with standing on Ethereal, gives the extremely loud message that no, he is not afk (and if he was actually afk while forum-posting from mobile, this would be resolved by... going to a manse when AFK.  If you're not in a manse, people have every right to assume you are there).
    4) Maligorn has an issue with understanding facts, and seems to think that all of the above is equivalent to someone intentionally not logging on / not getting involved in a fight because they know they will have to go AFK.

The only unclear thing is why we didn't see them in Faethorn when we checked, because that was the only reason that we went to the Domoths to absolve in the first place.  But that's pretty much irrelevant here, since even taking their statements at face value lays out the exact same set of facts that Sidd put in his post.
  • edited May 2016
    Correction: That's just a case of group A giving valid criticism and examples of group B participating in fair weather conflict. 

Context: Group B was only willing to engage in a fight where the opposition's melder was not part of the equation (Faethorn), but did not continue the fight when group A moved to neutral territory that favored neither.

Just to clarify!

Whether you agree or not is another story, but that was the core of the criticism. Not just "whining."

You're selectively blowing up AFK-while-not-in-a-manse (something everyone does) to suit your needs, in addition to still making assumptions. I'm willing to let this argument lie, if only because Xenthos's stubbornness and presumptuousness is really too much to dig through.

Correction: That's just a case of group A giving valid criticism and examples of group B participating in fair weather conflict. 

Context: Group B was only willing to engage in a fight where the opposition's melder was not part of the equation (Faethorn), but did not continue the fight when group A moved to neutral territory that favored neither.

Just to clarify!
    I don't think that running to the forums to antagonize the other side is giving valid criticism, but ok.

• Well I was going to gift wrap it and send it in a cookie basket with a card that said "valid criticism," but with so many people having gluten allergies these days, you just really never know. 

So we settled for saying it on the only officialy public forum of Lusternia.
  • edited May 2016
    I completely understand how Xenthos could assume that if I am on the forums while tending to my son, who was sitting on my lap arguing about his nap time while I was trying to get him to watch sesame street and Daniel Tiger and relax, that I could also then fight in a Domoth absolve. I mean Cyndarin logged into the forums from work (or so she says assuming Xenthos' logic) and therefore if she could do that she could easily have involved herself in fighting in game (again according to Xenthos' logic). Of course, with all the talent that Xenthos has with fan of storms I am sure it is easy for him to 'fight' and be on the forums, so it is an easy assumption for him to make that the two are one and the same.

Also, I never once admitted that I was not AFK when the absolve happend, in fact according to my logs, we left Faethorn at 13:37. The Domoth absolve started at 13:53. At which point I was already 10 minutes AFK.

As to the "breaking the rules", Yes, I "broke the rules" something numerous people do, they run AFK and sometimes that AFK lasts longer than intended. I will continue to "break the rules" as well, feel free to issue me on being AFK on Ethereal or Prime.
    15.10 AFK

Lusternia has a simple, easy-to-understand policy regarding AFK: it's not allowed.

AFK is an acronym which stands for 'away from keyboard'. In Lusternia, it also includes a player who may be at his or her keyboard, but who isn't paying attention to the game or responding. A player is also considered AFK if he or she has a trigger for responding automatically, or a timer which regularly and automatically enters commands for the purposes of remaining online.

Being AFK is forbidden for several reasons. There are many game mechanics, some quite important, which function based on the time spent online, either total or in the past week. Spending time AFK renders these inaccurate. Also, being unresponsive in public areas of the game can lead to bad experiences for other players when they attempt to interact with you. This is especially unacceptable in the case of newbies seeking assistance. Finally, being AFK while having automated responses active puts you in danger of violating our policy regarding automation (see HELP TRIGGERS).

Manses
    ------
    Players sometimes spend time idle in a manse (see HELP MANSES). Because manses are private and offer little opportunity to generate gold or experience, this practice is permitted. Note that you will not accrue vote weight while in a manse (see HELP ELECTIONS).

Penalties
    ---------
    On occasion, we may ask players whom we suspect to be AFK to prove that they are, in fact, paying attention to the game. If you are found to be AFK, you will be disconnected from the game. You may also be punished by the administration; depending on the situation, you may receive one or multiple warnings, or you may receive none. Penalties can include the docking of role points (see HELP ROLEPOINTS), reduction of vote weight (see HELP ELECTIONS) and, in extreme cases, character suspension.

Losing your connection
    ----------------------
    If you lose or cut your connection to Lusternia, it is possible for your character to stay online in some cases. Due to the vagaries of the internet, there is no way for Lusternia to know that your connection is no longer working. This is not a valid excuse for being AFK for an extended period of time, as the existence of the TIMEOUT command can prevent this from ever affecting you (see HELP TIMEOUT). A timeout limit of 10 minutes or less is recommended.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Everyone else does it!" is not exactly a valid excuse here (... or anywhere, really...), since not everyone else does it; most of us go to our manses when we are going to go AFK.  It's how we let people around us know that we're not actually here (and they don't expect us to be).
This discussion has been closed.