Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I love that there has been consequences to this event,  that an actual area was destroyed. Yes I'm sure it sucks on some level but it does add a new level of excitement to events that I haven't really had the pleasure of partaking in before.

Dylara is on some level a bit more careful now with denizens because a misunderstanding almost cost us the scorpion caverns and the change to jungle environment and the spread of the plague sparked some ideas. 

The bugs are annoying yes but they're so well written I kinda just deal with it.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Saran said:

The issue for me is that, well... Saran has been through ten ascensions and what... two plagues?, Arix and I were talking to someone IC yesterday who was a bit but for us it's kinda routine now. It'd be different if the world wasn't ending every x ig years, but it is and it'd probably be more disconcerting to our characters if it wasn't happening.
    It's probably not helped that because it's tied to the Ascension mechanics it always winds up with the seals weakening and someone needing to ascend. Like the events are amazing don't get me wrong, but like... maybe one year it just doesn't end with the standard ascension? Maybe there's something else, or maybe the ascension happens differently.

It just feels like being surprised that Sydney put fireworks on the harbour bridge for NYE again this year or that they're playing the snatch game this season on RuPaul's.
    This is the difficulty of running an event for a game that has run as long as Lusternia has: characters become genre savvy to some degree. The only thing we can do from an admin standpoint is hope that everyone participates in a way that is authentic to their character. 
  • Well, there's a simple solution here.

At the end of this event, Seren is turned into a giant jungle with all the mosquitos fit to handle. I bet they won't say "Yeah, it'll all be fine in the end" after that :D
  • My only issue with the event is that it is trolling my ability to influence commuters and collect bards/scholars/pilgrims every day for achievements!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I finished commuters a few hours before the event started.

I will say that skinrot is a mechanic I loathe.  I am hiding in my manse until the event moves on to a point where player interaction will actually do something because once you have skinrot you are stuck with it until the event is concluded.  Even if you go to your manse, you are subjected to your body sloughing off skin and other unpleasant things (unlike the previous sun event where there were lots of ambients on Prime but you could avoid them).

I strongly feel that the skinrot cure should still work.  Then players could go around, do things, and sanitize / refresh themselves if they want to (letting the players decide).  The mechanic does not need to be an all-or-nothing, but making it so only encourages people to try for "nothing" (and thus avoid actual pre-event participation).

Give us a middle ground, please.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Does anyone remember what the further stages of skinrot do besides just falling apart?

I mean at stage 1 -I just have physical resists and the occasional ambient leprosy thing going on. I do remember some sleeping stone being ejected at some point, but nothing else.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I am at stage 4 and have not noticed anything different from stage 2
    Also - we clearly need to add aging mechanics that eventually kill people after 100 years or so. You spend so much time and then you croak and die, passing all your artifacts and stuff to your child (who is really just the same player OOCly). They then have to bash and get demigod again (maybe keep the same powers active, genetics yo) and then there won't be an excuse for anyone to say they've seen this time and time again and just know that everything will be alright.

Ascendants can of course bypass aging mechanics. And I trust ascendants can not be dumb and RP that things are serious. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Demartel said:
    My only issue with the event is that it is trolling my ability to influence commuters and collect bards/scholars/pilgrims every day for achievements!
    Maybe Estarra could add a few more days to the monthly quest, given that things have been disrupted a bit?
  • I loathed the old skinrot event, but I enjoy this new event a lot more, mostly because it uses a vector that makes a whole lot more sense. Mosquitos as carriers of a dangerous and lethal disease is an interesting vector. Furthermore, we're engaging our actual healers in this event to try and find the cure, instead of being forced to sit and twiddle our thumbs, waiting for a magic space washing machine that for some reason manages to magically scrub the entire epidermis which somehow translates to curing a disease that causes calcification of phlegm and internal organs...

My point is, there should be room for dangerous diseases to exist in the game if done well, and so far the disease has been done well. And in those instances of dangerous disease they can and should dictate in-game behaviour to some extent. Life gave you lemons, let us see what kind of lemonade you make with em.

However, I really hope that the event is going to tie in to the stonerot of yore somehow. Otherwise I think it'd be a lot smarter to make the disease a proper malaria to avoid negative associations with old events.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    You're all right in the idea that Athar'rt Observatory is a recent Actual Consequence that happened because Sun blew it up. But even that is hard to care about because they didn't -officially- affiliate with Hallifax AND by and large, none of us in Halli knew that it was even in any danger because the scripted sun rays hitting areas weren't including Athar'rt (or I'm blind). So because of admin error, it's hard to feel culpability there too.

If Hallifax or Gaudiguch were permanently scrapped, probably wouldn't play Maligorn anymore -- not with the enjoyment I do now. Obviously that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I wish it were something that could be taken into consideration.

• I'm stage 3, and I've got a health malus, but I have buffs enough to counteract it.
    Health        Skinrot                                 -1      -10<br><br>
    Being sick at this point means you've been out trying to help solve, or at least understand what's going on. I don't really mind, but I can understand why people do. It's hard to remain aloof and perfect-seeming when there are tumors sprouting out of your face and bits of your skin falling off all the time.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I made a gross skinrot desc so I've made peace with Dar's loss of Gary Stu status
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Hoaracle said:
    Saran said:

The issue for me is that, well... Saran has been through ten ascensions and what... two plagues?, Arix and I were talking to someone IC yesterday who was a bit but for us it's kinda routine now. It'd be different if the world wasn't ending every x ig years, but it is and it'd probably be more disconcerting to our characters if it wasn't happening.
    It's probably not helped that because it's tied to the Ascension mechanics it always winds up with the seals weakening and someone needing to ascend. Like the events are amazing don't get me wrong, but like... maybe one year it just doesn't end with the standard ascension? Maybe there's something else, or maybe the ascension happens differently.

It just feels like being surprised that Sydney put fireworks on the harbour bridge for NYE again this year or that they're playing the snatch game this season on RuPaul's.
    This is the difficulty of running an event for a game that has run as long as Lusternia has: characters become genre savvy to some degree. The only thing we can do from an admin standpoint is hope that everyone participates in a way that is authentic to their character. 
    Yeah, as I said, I think the Ascension contest really drives it in. Without it, the event would resolve and that would be it, the scenarios also wouldn't have to involve the seals at some point which would in turn make things feel really different and also ensure that we're always in unknown territory, where as... well Saran has tried pointing out to people that it's sus that we've got the Sunprides on Avechna and we know what happens when the seals are messed with because again, something involving the seals has happened ten times now.
  • It's not entirely that Arix is jaded, it also has something to do with him knowing that because things like this have happened before, it's better that he try and keep calm about it when interacting with others. If he wants to panic that's what his manse is for
  • edited August 2016
    eh. because.

OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • edited August 2016
    Synkarin said:
    Also - we clearly need to add aging mechanics that eventually kill people after 100 years or so. You spend so much time and then you croak and die, passing all your artifacts and stuff to your child (who is really just the same player OOCly). They then have to bash and get demigod again (maybe keep the same powers active, genetics yo) and then there won't be an excuse for anyone to say they've seen this time and time again and just know that everything will be alright.

Ascendants can of course bypass aging mechanics. And I trust ascendants can not be dumb and RP that things are serious. 
    Yeah, they'll just need to i don't know... pick up a book or experience one of the three ascensions that would occur in the span of their hundred years? Cause I mean the whole point of recording things and passing them on to future generations is so they're more knowledgeable and prepared for what might come.

Even better would be if the sacrifice with the staff was exactly that, a sacrifice, they can just die, then start their new character with a nice little reward and we don't have special snowflakes floating around, though maybe there could be a hall somewhere, maybe on Avechna or in the havens. Maybe we'd even see a wider variety of ascendants.

I've actually suggested a finite life for characters before, my favourite method is registering your character for it and then the next time you die you just don't come back. You could die to hordes during an event, a final duel, you might even die during a raid and people don't even realise till afterwards.
    It allows a progression for the world, a decent proportion of the leaders right now would be dead already so no eternal leaders, you could build in mechanics so that you could chose your parents as part of the process (no real need for the confirmation process because you're an informed player) and help families to get further down their family trees, for Serenwilde players can actually progress to Ancestor status, Celest might have some players that are sainted if they're awesome enough their ascendants.

Your character ends, people can remember who they were, what they did but they're also not around still.

Of course, my original post on the topic was suggesting that changing things up, doing things differently might lessen the repetitious feeling, introducing other dangers increases concern, Ascension failing and needing to find another solution would likely induce a panic without having to do much more than modifying the end of the finale and running an event after it. Which all seem much simpler than reincarnating characters past an arbitrary age.
  • Forced permadeaths wouldn't really work when you buy credits tied to your character.
  • Kiradawea said:
    I loathed the old skinrot event, but I enjoy this new event a lot more, mostly because it uses a vector that makes a whole lot more sense. Mosquitos as carriers of a dangerous and lethal disease is an interesting vector. Furthermore, we're engaging our actual healers in this event to try and find the cure, instead of being forced to sit and twiddle our thumbs, waiting for a magic space washing machine that for some reason manages to magically scrub the entire epidermis which somehow translates to curing a disease that causes calcification of phlegm and internal organs...

My point is, there should be room for dangerous diseases to exist in the game if done well, and so far the disease has been done well. And in those instances of dangerous disease they can and should dictate in-game behaviour to some extent. Life gave you lemons, let us see what kind of lemonade you make with em.

However, I really hope that the event is going to tie in to the stonerot of yore somehow. Otherwise I think it'd be a lot smarter to make the disease a proper malaria to avoid negative associations with old events.
    The old skinrot was caused by infected chocolate bunnies. Where does chocolate come from? The jungle. Obviously, we need to go all Inquisition on the Gnafia and figure out just WHERE they got their materials.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • Forced deaths and reincarnations would go over great, I'm sure. 

I actually think an event where like....Kethuru breaks through and repairing the seals fails. The TAs discard political allegiances and rise above the basin to wage war against the keth bits coming through. Insert dramatic flair and flavor, Kaimanahi sacrifices herself to defend Celest in an explosion of celestial fire, Synkarin and Cyndarin dying side by side in a bloody fight,  Xenthos argues with some of the bits until they keel over and die of frustration. The TAs that want to die sacrificing themselves to buy the basin time to find a new solution. Wipe out an org or two at random, have them rebuild as something new. Maybe mortals that choose to do so can die in brutal and violent battles. Epic world wide messages like the Xynthin event that spoke to specific characters.

IT WOULD BE SO COOL. The best event, the Xynthin event, was so cool because the futures were about specific players. You could tell the admin who wrote them knew our characters.  
    Eh, I wouldn't make it forced personally but Synkarin's post mentions an age limit, as I said I'd want it that you'd register for it like you can register for retirement. It would ideally give you a decent level of control over how your character ends. I imagine some would want to ensure that they go out in battle, others might like a peaceful ending, maybe someone might want to roll the dice and just accept whatever death happens.

There's something about a conclusion to the stories that's appealing.

(If Seren goes boom I'm hoping Hart dies and we get Wolf Druids >_>)
  • Ashiya said:
    Forced permadeaths wouldn't really work when you buy credits tied to your character.
    Whenever it comes up it generally involves your credits and the like being transferred directly to another charcter that you create as part of the process, cause really, the main reason to do it is... well a refresh and an ending. You can keep the value, while exploring different aspects of the game.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Ashiya said:
    Forced permadeaths wouldn't really work when you buy credits tied to your character.
    I think the idea is that if you opt in for a permadeath, you get a neat bonus and any credits/artifacts/squirrels you bought for the character are partly/fully refunded and bequeathed 'to the next to exit the Portal of Fate' (your new alt) and if you had a big enough impact on the Basin, your old character's name and exploits are woven into the fabric of history.

Hell, make it a Big Deal, with Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos standing in the Halls of the Fates like a normal death, only when you draw closer you see the ghosts of your ancestors/Elohora/Luciphage/Mother Night/Zvoltz/Jolly Bundy standing there too. And rather than arguing, the Fates stand across from the Tapestry from you and let you follow it for a few moments in peace until you notice- There's no more thread for you.

Then Atropos says, "It is time, Subotai. Your part is done, lay your burden aside." and allows you into Shallamar/Ascends you to Celestia/Feeds you to Gorgagiel/puts you in a Solstice Present, and the game thanks you for playing and logs you out.

Then the next time you connect to the character, instead of the usual intro, Clotho greets you and says "That soul was a legend, but he/she is no more. Do you remember your name, mortal?"

-chargen bits here-  

"Ah, yes. Subotai's tale is one of <insert adjectives here, either admin prepared or generated based on skills active when the character died>. He left a legacy to ease the burden of a soul in need. I give it to you now." 

You have been awarded 100 credits from the retirement of a demigod!
    You have been awarded 100 Divine credits from Subotai's legendary nature. <- Admin decided somewhere that Subotai did something EPIC.
    Subotai's artifacts were
    -snip-

You may TRADE any of these now at full value for an equivalent rune for your new class:
    -snip- 

Are you sure you're finished?
    You have been awarded full value for the following artifacts:
    -snip-

You have been awarded 3/4 value for the following artifacts:
    -snip-

Your total is now ###,### credits.
    Would you like to apply retirement credits to this character?
    You have at least ### credits. Would you like to reincarnate into a Premium Race for ### credits? HELP RACES
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I may have gone a bit overboard there.
    Saran said:
    Forced deaths and reincarnations would go over great, I'm sure. 

I actually think an event where like....Kethuru breaks through and repairing the seals fails. The TAs discard political allegiances and rise above the basin to wage war against the keth bits coming through. Insert dramatic flair and flavor, Kaimanahi sacrifices herself to defend Celest in an explosion of celestial fire, Synkarin and Cyndarin dying side by side in a bloody fight,  Xenthos argues with some of the bits until they keel over and die of frustration. The TAs that want to die sacrificing themselves to buy the basin time to find a new solution. Wipe out an org or two at random, have them rebuild as something new. Maybe mortals that choose to do so can die in brutal and violent battles. Epic world wide messages like the Xynthin event that spoke to specific characters.

IT WOULD BE SO COOL. The best event, the Xynthin event, was so cool because the futures were about specific players. You could tell the admin who wrote them knew our characters.  
    Eh, I wouldn't make it forced personally but Synkarin's post mentions an age limit, as I said I'd want it that you'd register for it like you can register for retirement. It would ideally give you a decent level of control over how your character ends. I imagine some would want to ensure that they go out in battle, others might like a peaceful ending, maybe someone might want to roll the dice and just accept whatever death happens.

There's something about a conclusion to the stories that's appealing.

(If Seren goes boom I'm hoping Hart dies and we get Wolf Druids >_>)
    Synkarin's post was also 100% facetious. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited August 2016
    This event should some how relock Gaudiguch and Hallifax back in time, for the health of the game.
    Your numbers today are:
  • edited August 2016
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • That edit has me curious
    Your numbers today are:
  • But yes, mag can go. It's been pretty much dead since I played there with the exception of like two RPers and two combatants it currently has
    Your numbers today are:
This discussion has been closed.