the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Kiradawea said:
    Phoebus said:
    Vivet said:
    Lehki said:
    That was brutal, wtf
    (Actually suggested to Trem to make it as brutal as possible)
    (I wish you hadn't, I hate gruesome stuff, bleh.)
    And yet you posted that Nurse Joy pic. >:)
    I could've posted the one where she was crushing someone's skull between her thighs like an egg, but I didn't. :innocent:
  • (Sweet soon-to-be-canonized Mother Teresa, I feel like I need to go confess.)
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • Soooo... Eternal night? Has Lunala won?
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
  • I was gonna be nice and not post to create false hope, but I suppose I might just follow suit.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    ((Apologies for the delay))

When you wake, the storm has yet to subside, and eventually you all join together in the library of the ship, where Alec and Sylandra are already picking up books from what appears to be a knocked over shelf. The trading machine, surprisingly, is up and beeping a ready tune in the corner, and when Alec notices that you all have arrived, he says, "Trading's a go for the rest of the trip. If the storm's going to keep going like this, there's not much we can do outside, so the games I had planned and the prizes are kinda...moot." He shrugs and keeps picking up books before looking at you all to say, "By the way, I've still got all those extras from the shoppe, so if anyone wants to lay a claim to something, you can do so after about...((24 hours [3.00 pm EST 8 September])) an hour or so.

It seems there is very little left to be said, and there are just as many of you as there were last night. Amidst the occasional thud of a falling book from the stormy waves rocking the ship, you turn to each other and begin to discuss. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    IT IS NOW DAY 9 OF THE CCS: EXPEDITION'S JOURNEY.
    IT WILL END IN 7 DAYS (14 SEPTEMBER).

YOU MAY TRADE TODAY.
    YOU MAY SHOP TODAY.

• So pretty much everyone targeted Cyndarin last night. I did, it appears Krackenor did, it also appears that Portius did. I'm curious what the two of them saw though.
  • I got jailed. You jerks. 
  • Praise Melali for saving me from the mob of crappy townies.
  • And yeah, Melali jailed Cyndarin. Which is kind of a weird pick to me. Because either Cyndarin is 3rd party and telling the truth which is an awful pick to jail or they're lying and was obviously going to be the favorite to look at because we're honestly running out of people we have not investigated.
    Alec turns as if surprised, and says, "Oh! I almost forgot!" He opens his hand and the smell of burning ozone accompanies the Appearance of a small tube with a rolled up paper in it. He moves to the closest table to each of you and opens to the tube before tapping the end to let the paper fall onto the wood. He flattens it with two books and pushes it along the table, allowing each of you to read...

ATTN: ALL

MEDICAL REPORT ON THE BODY OF VIVET (PT. 2)

LITTLE WAS DISCOVERED TO DIFFERENTIATE FROM THE ORIGINAL AUTOPSY REPORT FILED BY THIS EXAMINER, BUT MINUTE DIFFERENCES WERE NOTED. SCANS OF WHAT REMAINED OF HER BODY SHOWED THAT WHILE THERE WAS A SPIKE IN RADIATION SEVERAL NIGHTS AGO - POSSIBLY COINCIDING WITH HER RETURN? - THE MOONSTONE-LIKE RAYS HAD RECEDED TO NEARLY NORMAL LEVELS DURING HER BRIEF TIME AS A MEMBER OF THE AMBULATORY DECEASED. INTERESTING TO NOTE IS THAT AFTER THE ONSET OF RIGOR MORTIS HAD STRAIGHTENED HER LEFT HAND ONCE MORE, IT HAD NOT CURLED UPON HER SECOND DEATH. NO TRACES OF BLOOD OTHER THAN HER OWN WERE FOUND ON OR IN HER BODY, WHICH CONTAINED ONLY HER OWN AND MEDICAL FLUID FROM LAST REPORT.

WITH THE ABOVE INFORMATION, IT IS SAFE TO ASSUME THAT:

VIVET WAS RETURNED TO LIFE BY SOMEONE/SOMETHING ASSOCIATED WITH LUNAR ENERGY.
    VIVET WAS NOT IN CONSTANT CONTACT WITH LUNAR ENERGY.
    VIVET DID NOT SPEND MUCH TIME ON HER POKEGEAR.
    VIVET WAS NONVIOLENT.

--M. LAVENDER

• I'm assuming that means Vivet really wasn't a part of the cult the 2nd time around.
  • So, uh. Yay. Found out what my new Gardevoir power does. @Portius apparently tried to kill me night before last. I had the option to kill him instead. Passed on that, obviously.

Nothing about a doll, by the way. Dunno what you want to make of that.

So... was Vivet the cult recruiter? How're we reading that?
  • Ninjariffic.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I'm reading that as Vivet being vanilla townie after resurrection? Probably? From not being in constant contact with lunar energy. I'm not really sure.

So assuming Thul is telling the truth about me targeting him night before last, that means the mafia definitely has some sort of redirect power. Probably on a pokemon. I would have thought that redirecting me would count as a hostile power and that Haunter would block it, but apparently not.

Since I haven't been consistently redirected, that probably means there's a cooldown on it. I assume that if they could redirect me every turn, they would. It'd double their kill/convert rate if they could guarantee that I target an innocent every turn.

Re: Cyndarin getting jailed. It's consistent with Vivet's claim that Cyndarin and Melali are both converts, I guess. I guess since Vivet flipped (probably) town, we can trust that she thought she was telling the truth. Not sure how she knew it or how much we should trust her judgment on it, though.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Oh, anyone new having corpse dreams?
  • Nooooooo...

Please don't tell me anything Vivet said might have been true. I don't want to retread that labyrinth of half-truths and madness. >_<
    I had a dream about twisters smashing our ship.

I'm not saying I trust Vivet's judgment, but we should probably operate under the assumption that she was attempting to communicate her suspicions in good faith.
  • Yeah and I think Melali at least needs to explain the thought process here. Most of the jailing made sense for the game but I'm really confused on jailing Cyndarin. With Vivet being vanilla town it adds weight to the suspicion about converts.
  • I want to hear if anyone had an attempt made on their life before we go down the rabbit hole into Vivetland. 

No one died last night. Which could mean a number of things. Assuming I was mafia, the mafia would have known I was jailed and sent someone else out to stabby stabby, but no one died. So, assuming I somehow miraculously survive today, that's a missing piece of the puzzle. 

I suspect it was one of the people who targeted me. If I had to pull the trigger now, I think it's Portius as a possible convert. He wasn't willing to take me out during the day, but targeted me last night after I revealed I had a willowisp on him. That being said, not everyone has checked in yet. 
  • I chose Cyndarin because a) I haven't jailed her before and wanted to see if she had any useful information that she didn't feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us due to Mafia (she didn't), b) because she doesn't, apparently, have a useful power for the Town, like Watcher or whatnot, and c) because she may be Mafia, so I wanted to make sure that she didn't kill anyone.

Just to be clear, we have: Dylara (coroner), Thul (immune), Othero (watcher), Phoebus (doctor), Krackenor (blocker), Portius (vigilante), Cen (xp upper), and Ileein (watcher), other than Cyndarin and myself. I just jailed Cen last night, so he's out, and everyone else has a somewhat useful role. I suppose I could have jailed Krackenor, but is there anyone else that I can jail that wouldn't negatively impact Town?
    @Melali, you might want to consider jailing me. Mafia is more or less confirmed to have a redirect. I have vague memories of a power getting mentioned (suspected? confirmed? I don't know, I couldn't find it again) that forced a power to get used. I guess I might have dreamed it, but it's very much in my head as a possibility. If that's the same as the redirect, then it might be a good idea to keep me jailed unless we have an extremely strong night target for me. Makes sure that they don't force me to kill a townie for them.

@Cyndarin, how many days has it been since there was a kill that wasn't mine? I think we've more or less confirmed that there's a cult and that they don't have a kill. Have I missed something with that?

Now, @Thul. Tremula has graciously confirmed that pokemon can evolve through trades. I've moved on from 'Maybe we should neuter Thul just to be safe by taking his pokemon, if it makes people feel better' to 'Thul is town and makes good Gardevoir choices." Can I interest you in trading for my Haunter and then trading the Gengar back to me? Normally I'd want to keep the defense power on him, but the fact that he can't even block a redirect for me makes me think it'll only work on kills. So it's probably useless right now, and evolving it might give the town a useful power.

You can probably get lynch train going on me if I break faith and keep the Gardevoir, I can probably manage the same for you if you keep Gengar. Doing it like this means we can have two people announce the power to the town (if we want it announced) which reduces the chance of scum colluding. And maybe we get a useful power. Or maybe not. Who knows? Informed actions are for other murder boats.
  • That's a weird "confirmation." If they are converting, they most likely aren't killing. It's usually an either/or situation as the ability to eliminate two members of the town a night (one kill, one conversion) would make any sort of night group super overpowered. At least, that's how cults usually work in the games I've played.
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I think we're more or less sure that they're only recruiting, so we should expect no kills. I guess we can't rule out the possibility that they have some sort of kill power, but I think it's safe to assume that they don't.

Which I guess leaves me confused about what you were trying to say when you brought up kills as a missing puzzle piece.
  • It's day 9. Do you think they are converting every night? They'd have what...9 people by now (8 nights + the original) minus whoever has died that has been converted. There are 10 people left. It just doesn't make sense, the math doesn't seem to indicate they are recruiting every night or else the game would probably be over. Your assumption isn't a safe one, we're missing a piece. 

If I were them, I'd have recruited a nightkiller, and I'd have that nightkiller take out the easy targets. To me, that's you, and now Othero. 
  • Okay, we need to figure out who to lynch today. We have at most 4 mafia. Probably less, but at most 4. That also means we have at least 6 Town. 

Now, I started out a Jailer and an officer of the Pokémon Police Department and all of my nights have been accounted for and protected, so I am the least likely person to not be Town. 

Thul has had a guardian Pokémon this entire game, so he's unlikely to have been converted. I don't remember what his actual role is (and would greatly appreciate a refresher), but we've decided to trust him. Unless he started out as Mafia, something I don't think we would have dismissed for no reason, he is still probably Town. 

Dylara has been confirmed to be the Coroner, though she might have been converted. Nevertheless, she seems to be acting with the Town. 

Phoebus has been confirmed to be the Doctor and had that Luce bond with Othero, so she started Town. However, no one has been the target of a murder attempt so she hasn't had to save anyone in a few days. 

I could continue listing people, but I really don't have much good information.

Honestly, I don't know who to lynch. I would say either Portius, Krackenor, or Thul, because we don't need the game to end faster, there is no one who has shown an evil ability at night, and I don't recall why we trust the person who doesn't take night actions and is investigation proof.
    They can't have been recruiting every night. That is true. But it seems like the cult probably wasn't active from the start. I figured it activated when we killed the last member of the two starting cults.

Specifically, I think our setup is this:

-Begin with two normal mafia groups. They have some mechanic that allows them to unite, which did not trigger.

-There is a Chosen role which plays some role in uniting the two and can communicate with their leaders at night.

Those two come from Vivet and Lehki testimony. Lehki's is probably a wash, but resurrected Vivet flipped town, so she presumably would've corrected any lies from earlier.

-If the Chosen is alive and all members of the original groups are dead, the Chosen becomes head of a recruiting cult. This is an inference from us switching over to a boat at that point, the countdown starting at the same time, and Kalaneya's exit post. I could be wrong, but I don't think that I am. If I am right, that gives them possible recruitments on nights 7, 8, and 9. So they have anywhere from 1-4 members right now. Except we killed Allyrianne, who was probably a recruit. She flipped as a traitor, at least. That's also a normal mafia role though, so I can't actually be sure which it was. Unless Tremula clarifies, of course. If so, she's the night 7 recruit. Thul claimed that he blocked a recruitment attempt on Night 8.

So assuming I'm right about when this started, our enemies consist of one recruiter and one recruit. Which now that I've done the math is a good reason for me to either assume that I'm wrong about these game mechanics (my god, this would be so much easier if we actually had any idea what was going on) or Vivet's suspicions were wrong. One of us is certainly wrong, anyway. Judge which one for yourselves.
    Ninja'd. @Melali, Thul used a governor power.
  • @Portius: You're asking me to hand over the one hard counter to your power right now. Even if I wasn't completely, unhealthily attached to my forum-text rendition of a being that only exists in digital format, I don't think that'd be a good idea.

@Othero, do you still have that kill ability on Night Haze, or is that expended? I thought I heard you say that was expended, but...