Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I could see that for when the domoth fluxes, but that seriously disincentivises orgs to go for any domoth that isn't at Orb already.
  • Could be a one-shot "cost" to contest a domoth or something? For instance:

Mag tries to claim/upgrade a domoth. At this point, Celest and Serenwilde decides they want to contest it. Both of them will need to contest it separately with a separate 5 minute cost. After the breach, they're free to fight Mag for all they're worth. If either Celest or Seren are completely wiped out though, they'd need to re-contest it at another 5 minute cost.

The two issues with this I see are allies and gaming the system. For instance, let's say Glom were to defend Mag; would they need to contest as well to remove another 5 minutes? Also, what would stop Glom from simply contesting and popping in and out and then just re-contest over and over to make it go even faster?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Before anything like that goes in we'd need a formal alliance system, which is probably more work than it's worth on both sides of the equation.
  • @Ordassa - I've done designing in four IRE games now and I think Lusternia's approvers are the most chill. There are a few very specific things they are nitpicky about, especially British spellings, but they allow really creative, clever and fun pieces, and are tolerant of metaphor and a range of tones and creative phrasings, which I've seen shot down in other IRE games as being too fanciful. Once I figured out I wasn't going to get designs flat-out rejected for being silly or using tone (Achaea, in particular, was a bitch to get anything approved if it was humorous or took any liberties beyond literal descriptions), I've really begun to enjoy the system and am having lots of fun making silly stuff.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Beware the cookies I'm designing. BEWARE!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I don't think you can really add an incentive to fight that's going to work. All that's going to happen is that people are going to be less willing to try because now instead of you just losing and dying, you now give additional bonuses to your enemy when you lose and die. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Well, if you challenged and wiped them, you'd also capture faster.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Sadly, there's very few people already who are like 'let's just try it for the heck of it'. Any such changes, I think, would lessen the incentive for an undermanned org to actually try and contest and see if they got lucky. I understand the bore of it well, very well in fact, but I don't think that those solutions will get us there. Am uncertain what could incent trying against the odds in such a situation.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Maybe only deaths from your own org shorten your capture timer?

Hmph, we might as well think of something.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Again, that provides more incentive to not attack, since studies have shown that the most effective form of deterrent is boredom.
  • Well if nobody wants to have any fun, and just wants the game to be as miserable for the other side as possible, then it's hard to get around that.

Screw those people.
  • Make defences last longer or give us some commands to raise them quickly. I dunno about other classes but Illuminati defs take several minutes and a bucket of power to put up, making repeated fight rounds slow and tiring to join. At high skill level this may not be true, but from a meat shield perspective I find myself frustrated not from deaths but from deffing back up.
    Says the guy complaining about his side domothing with no one around to contest it.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Any viable solution would need to provide a decent incentive not only to domoth at times when clashes are probable, but also provide an incentive to attack and interrupt that outweighs or mitigates the risks of attacking. Something like "For each attack landed by someone not from the domoth claimer's org or on his ally list, the time remaining is reduced by 1 second. However if anyone attempts to usurp an active claim, they inherit either up to half of the accumulated points or retain their own points, whichever is higher."
  • Killing someone while domothing has a chance to generate a genie curio piece!

:D
  • Could do what Aetolia and Imperian did if you want to see more people PKing: remove or greatly lesson xp loss on deaths in open PK areas/events and add in shared kills. Those changes made so many people who hadn't PKd much get out there, try it and realize they enjoyed it. It also made levelling up via PK actually viable.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Breandryn said:
    Make defences last longer or give us some commands to raise them quickly. I dunno about other classes but Illuminati defs take several minutes and a bucket of power to put up, making repeated fight rounds slow and tiring to join. At high skill level this may not be true, but from a meat shield perspective I find myself frustrated not from deaths but from deffing back up.
    This is true for all wiccan/guardian classes ( and possibly some other ), but the bright side is that 90% of your power defenses at least stay through death. Still putting up defenses takes time, but I think the bigger problem is getting back onto the bubbles, but yes, I can sympathy with the deffing up being discouraging.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Breandryn said:
    Could do what Aetolia and Imperian did if you want to see more people PKing: remove or greatly lesson xp loss on deaths in open PK areas/events and add in shared kills. Those changes made so many people who hadn't PKd much get out there, try it and realize they enjoyed it. It also made levelling up via PK actually viable.
    We started that way, but people camped off-prime planes for literal hours, indiscriminately killing pretty much everything they could.
  • Hmmm maybe limit it to mechanical open PK? Like just domoths, revolts, wildnodes.
  • Defences dropping on death is actually a balance concern and I personally think we should leave them as is.

We could use with upping the exp gained from fights and have a proper assist system. When I was messing around in Aetolia I got to the mid-80s almost exclusively from PK. Landing the killing blow could literally get you multiple levels until around the 70s and assists still gave you about 20% of the exp that getting the kill does. There was also no exp loss during certain PK events.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Death loss and enemy territory loss are separate things afaik. Death loss could conceivably be re@oved without touching (the MUCH more significant) territory losses. 
    There is no increase in xp loss for being in enemy territory anymore..... that was removed when the timer was implemented.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited November 2016
    By balance, the first thing that comes to mind is the waveclear of enemies. I'd rather have a longer death sequence and fewer defs when I rez. Could even give some classes a skill to innately rez faster for fine tuning respective death timers. Would make rez skills more potent though. That's just my personal preference, though, as a newbie meat shield. I'm sure the leaders would hate being dead longer because they can't communicate :p

Edit: silly idea, but what is there was a general skill you could set before death? If enabled you would recover defs after a full death sequence (vitae, immolation, etc wouldn't count) but that death would take x times as long to recover from. Then us lazy/newb folks could take the longer death without messing with balance. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Right sorry. point being, changing xp loss would not impact anticamping penalties, they are and almost always have been handled separately. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Breandryn said:
    By balance, the first thing that comes to mind is the waveclear of enemies. I'd rather have a longer death sequence and fewer defs when I rez. Could even give some classes a skill to innately rez faster for fine tuning respective death timers. Would make rez skills more potent though. That's just my personal preference, though, as a newbie meat shield. I'm sure the leaders would hate being dead longer because they can't communicate :p

Edit: silly idea, but what is there was a general skill you could set before death? If enabled you would recover defs after a full death sequence (vitae, immolation, etc wouldn't count) but that death would take x times as long to recover from. Then us lazy/newb folks could take the longer death without messing with balance. 
    Could also just ask that some of the def-heavy classes get access to something similar to SPIRITBOND NATURE. CHANT EPIPHANY and CAST ENCHANT or something. That might take envoying though, and would need to leave out the power defenses for the most part. (I'm also for removing or reducing the power cost of SPIRITBOND NATURE, but that's neither here nor there.)
  • Luce said:
    Breandryn said:

Could also just ask that some of the def-heavy classes get access to something similar to SPIRITBOND NATURE. CHANT EPIPHANY and CAST ENCHANT or something. That might take envoying though, and would need to leave out the power defenses for the most part. (I'm also for removing or reducing the power cost of SPIRITBOND NATURE, but that's neither here nor there.)
    Things like this have been envoyed in the past. Consult your local envoy!
  • It would be nice if there was an artifact like the clothing artifact that you could record your defs into and activate it to put up all defs for a X length of balance and it would draw the power from your reserves.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2016
    Just as a note, @Breandryn, Fluidflesh (5p) is your best friend for deffing up quickly. Then you put up your rituals, paradigmatics (chaotesign for 2p). Tarot defs aren't 100% necessary unless you have the time to put them up (assuming you are, indeed, Tarot). Also, lessons in Discipline will make your active power regenerate faster .

Other than that, I'm unsure how you're spending bucketloads of power. if you're using Geburah and Aethersight, there's no need. just spend 7p (pretty standard, maybe even lower that average for wiccans/guardians) for, uh, 15p? for the additional Enigma and Fool tarot. Full tryhard mode demands things like Geburah, Aethersight, Warrior and World, but if it's frustrating for general use, there's definitely no need to stress out about it.

• I may stop using gebdurah since I don't damage in fights anyways. I'm at work so I don't have the full list but from memory there is hod and tarot defs, and ents are 19 power on their own. The lag has been making me dc a lot lately so there is no carryover of persistent defs after death about 1/5 deaths, but hopefully that's a temporary issue :)
This discussion has been closed.