Simple Ideas

Comments

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Can appointing people to a clan rank show up in the clan logs, please? Thanks.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• New tailoring accessory pattern. Eyepatches!
  • Give a message when Spellcraft etchings (hexangle and pentangle) decay.
  • New artisan abilities: Banners, pennants, and wreaths.

Banners: Sticking one outside a city or a village your city controls allows someone to quickly tell who owns it. Wreaths serve this purpose for communes.
    Pennants are for families, if you're aligned with a City or Commune your lesser or great house can affix a pennant in certain rooms to show your allegiance. They can also be stuck more or less anywhere in a manse owned by a family member, or by a member of a great house to which your family is a banner house.

Or something. Just theorycrafting here.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Something like this may exist already, but:

CALLing. Works like says or yells, but it's directional.

CALL NORTH Alright, come here!
    (alternative, CALL N Alright, come here!)
    You call to the north, "Alright, come here!"
    You see Zouviqil call to the north, "Alright, come here!"
    IN THE NORTH ROOM Zouviqil calls from the south, "Alright, come here!"
  • A syntax to view logs from 'backwards', aka from the latest event to the earliest.

That way I don't have to spam MORE to get to view things that happened recently.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited July 2013
    Does this syntax help:
    LISTOFFERINGS 2013/07/17

?

Most logs it isn't an issue with (they tend not to have too many things in them), but you can use parameters on pretty much every log to cut things down, and it even works on the date / timestamps (edit: though apparently you can't do them both, it doesn't like spaces).
    Also, there's another neat command if your log is filled with a ton of a specific kind of spam (such as cult logs filled with Omniscience spam):
    READLOG XENTHOS 0 0 !OMNI <-- This cuts out every entry that has the word "omni" in it, and just shows me the rest! :)
  • Shedrin said:
    A syntax to view logs from 'backwards', aka from the latest event to the earliest.

That way I don't have to spam MORE to get to view things that happened recently.
    I'm moderately sure trying to have logs (specifically offerings logs) prepend information caused a lag issue. Searching logs as Xenthos described is the way to go.

edited July 2013
    Zvoltz said:
    Shedrin said:
    A syntax to view logs from 'backwards', aka from the latest event to the earliest.

I'm moderately sure trying to have logs (specifically offerings logs) prepend information caused a lag issue. Searching logs as Xenthos described is the way to go.
    No need to be moderately sure; this has been brought up before and this specific reason was given as why it was problematic.

My understanding is that it would require a total overhaul of how logs are written / parsed in order to be able to accomplish this without being really resource intensive (especially with those spammy Order logs).
  • Disappointing, but thanks for letting me know!
  • http://pastebin.com/hv2hu9Wf
    So I can only imagine it's been suggested before, but could there be a balance cost stuck on to closing and/or opening doors?

Alternative suggestion, courtesy of IRC:
    [00:16] <Stefan> Once it's opened and closed so many times, it should just fly off the hinges and sprawl/concuss the last four people to touch it :b
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I agree, it should be way harder to escape a debate.
  • Put a balance on closing doors, but not opening them. Job done.
  • I remember someone telling me about how two people once set up a trigger to open/close the door when it was open/closed, and whoever had the most endurance won because someone hit zero.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Door closing isn't particularly effective anyways, just stack commands or use strategms to get through!
  • Running could give a big ego hit as the other person gets the last word in. Would have to separate voluntary movement from gust etc. Or maybe not in peaced debates?

Can you divert players to save a person?
  • Dys said:
    Running could give a big ego hit as the other person gets the last word in.
    That came up in an older discussion, I personally think it's a great idea. However, it does bring up some issues with Mindburst, which already gets pretty crazy when people are resorting to debates mid-combat.
    Dys said:
    Can you divert players to save a person?
    Nope nope.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    People run because debating is far from balanced.
  • It is..? It's rock-paper-scizzors with two variables and MAYBE some fasttalks. It comes down to who has the bigger ego pool if everything else is evenly matched (a quick trigger or alias to switch mindsets randomly, and an alias to randomize attacks) which is sort of how a lot of things work. To my knowledge there are no artifacts that help with debates, no racials beyond differences in charisma, no guild skills affect it directly, and the primary skill is the first or second one in the skillset.  The only things that might skew it one way or the other are differences in systems, debating in a group, or passive ego regenerations that are largely dwarfed by sparkleberry, healing scrolls, and sipping.
  • edited July 2013
    Aerotan said:
    no guild skills affect it directly
    Harmony Anguti does, though I am not sure on the specifics. It does give a noticeable (at least at my low circle/charisma) bonus to influencing, so its effect on debating might be at least notable. On the note of passive regen, Harmony Regeneration with full Heart mantras is pretty nice, so much so that I lasted a lot longer in today's revolt than I thought I would have without sparkle/scroll.

But yes, debating is a lot of luck and intuition. I prefer aliases to randomizing triggers, so you can at least have some control over it by outsmarting the opponent's process - not changing your mindset when you receive a hard hit, assuming that they will be changing their attack for the next round, etc.

Anyways. I don't think it's -unbalanced- per se, some people are just not going to debate well because of their choice in race/technique. That's just how it is.
  • The reason I run is for a few reasons, 

1.) when they opponent has someone boosting their ego and a seperate person spamming fasttalk, If I don't have similar support I will be most likely losing.
    2.) When I am close to losing to get a chance to regain ego.
    3.) When in a revolt and I think there may be some mobs up to influence.
    4.) If I'm the only one who will be able to influence mobs because everyone else is shattered.

I actually think debating is a bit fun aside from outside help being able to be offered to one side or another which just prolongs the debate or is frustrating for one side.

To tell the truth I would love it if debates were changed to

1.) Give a brief delay before being able to leave the room while in the room with the person they were debating also unable to take actions during that time of moving or they would stay in place.
    2.) Make it so debate afflictions were only able to be given by the people who are debating, and perhaps changing the amount EQ time it takes to give them/cure them
    3.) Active skills that heal ego such as chanting had a reduced effect on those debating. Though I don't know if this is really necessary I've never seen the numbers on it, just feels frustrating to not be able to get that help myself.

Though that's just off the top of my head not sure if it's really necessary I had only participated in one revolt since I came back that was peaced and just noting what I thought was frustrating to play against.
  • Daem said:
    The reason I run is for a few reasons, 

1.) when they opponent has someone boosting their ego and a seperate person spamming fasttalk, If I don't have similar support I will be most likely losing.
    4.) If I'm the only one who will be able to influence mobs because everyone else is shattered.

I actually think debating is a bit fun aside from outside help being able to be offered to one side or another which just prolongs the debate or is frustrating for one side.

1.) Give a brief delay before being able to leave the room while in the room with the person they were debating also unable to take actions during that time of moving or they would stay in place.
    2.) Make it so debate afflictions were only able to be given by the people who are debating, and perhaps changing the amount EQ time it takes to give them/cure them
    3.) Active skills that heal ego such as chanting had a reduced effect on those debating. Though I don't know if this is really necessary I've never seen the numbers on it, just feels frustrating to not be able to get that help myself.

Though that's just off the top of my head not sure if it's really necessary I had only participated in one revolt since I came back that was peaced and just noting what I thought was frustrating to play against.
    Person uses debate, Geomancer starts using chasm. Oh noes, you cannot leave because you're in a debate!
  • edited July 2013
    Daem said:
    The reason I run is for a few reasons, 

Person uses debate, Geomancer starts using chasm. Oh noes, you cannot leave because you're in a debate!
    I thought aggressive action stops debates.
  • Nope. TP's can debate-bomb you by ordering you to change your mindset and attacking with something weak, plus an affliction. Unless that got changed. Which I hope it did.
  • Kio said:
    Nope. TP's can debate-bomb you by ordering you to change your mindset and attacking with something weak, plus an affliction. Unless that got changed. Which I hope it did.
    They can just debate you normally then Mindburst when you're low.

I think blocking debates while in combat is a good solution. Any debates currently in progress when someone enters combat are ended immediately.

Further, for peaced revolts, I like the following ideas:

- Create a movement delay when moving away from your debate partner.
     - Cause a drain in ego when moving away from your debate partner.

Being able to divert other players could be cool. Probably too abuseable, though.

I think Laetitia and other skills adds to the group strategy of debating. Potentially Communes could envoy something similar if it's felt to be a large imbalance.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Shedrin said:
    I think Laetitia and other skills adds to the group strategy of debating. Potentially Communes could envoy something similar if it's felt to be a large imbalance.
    Just as a point of interest, the communes do actually have access to something like this now that Dramaturgy Inspire can be used on others.
    edited July 2013
    Shedrin said:
    Kio said:
    Nope. TP's can debate-bomb you by ordering you to change your mindset and attacking with something weak, plus an affliction. Unless that got changed. Which I hope it did.
    They can just debate you normally then Mindburst when you're low.

I think blocking debates while in combat is a good solution. Any debates currently in progress when someone enters combat are ended immediately.

Further, for peaced revolts, I like the following ideas:

- Create a movement delay when moving away from your debate partner.
     - Cause a drain in ego when moving away from your debate partner.

Being able to divert other players could be cool. Probably too abuseable, though.

To make changes like this, they'd need to reduce the impact of charisma on debating dramatically (both on damage done and on ego pools).  I don't really see any compelling reason to give high-charisma people a further buff in debating and village influencing at present.

That said, charisma is already being considered to be divorced from ego pools... but even with the revamp certain classes will have quite a compelling advantage in that sense.

Obviously someone with higher charisma can still lose, but odds (assuming both parties are running RNG-based) are heavily in their favour already.
  • Daem said:
    Yeah, that'd be great.