Real World Raves

Comments

• Cumberland sausages on flatbread.

That is all.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Decorating for Christmas always puts me in such a good mood.

And then a terrible one when I run out of things to make.

But for now it's good!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited December 2013
    Aerdiya said:
    Had my first driving lesson after a long pause and didn't stall the engine once (though that was probably due to my instructor managing the pedals most of the time...). 

And I am also a bit less afraid of driving now, since I my new instructor doesn't yell at me but is very calming instead.
    I envy you because you obviously live in a country that still teaches people to drive manual.  It's a dying art here in the United States.  I've been looking for a new car this last month and can not find anything with a standard transmission anymore.  I really miss it.  

For my rave, I just took the major field test in business(I'm graduating this semester with my Bachelor's of Science in Accounting), and while I expected to do horribly, I ended up getting a score of 194/200 (97%).  That's not only the highest score in our graduating class, but it's actually the highest score on this test in our school's history.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• edited December 2013
    Stangmar said:
    Aerdiya said:
    Had my first driving lesson after a long pause and didn't stall the engine once (though that was probably due to my instructor managing the pedals most of the time...). 

And I am also a bit less afraid of driving now, since I my new instructor doesn't yell at me but is very calming instead.
    I envy you because you obviously live in a country that still teaches people to drive manual.  It's a dying art here in the United States.  I've been looking for a new car this last month and can not find anything with a standard transmission anymore.  I really miss it.  

For my rave, I just took the major field test in business(I'm graduating this semester with my Bachelor's of Science in Accounting), and while I expected to do horribly, I ended up getting a score of 194/200 (97%).  That's not only the highest score in our graduating class, but it's actually the highest score on this test in our school's history.  
    Congratulations!

Most schools here teach manual driving, though you can also opt to drive automatically. But if you take your exam in a car with automatic transmission, you are only allowed to drive automatic cars afterwards. Since I won't be able to afford an automatic car (it'll likely be a Ford Ka instead :) ), I thought that it'd be better to learn how to drive manual because I am free to choose then.
  • That's interesting. Here, no matter what vehicle you take the test in, you can drive anything that's not a motorcycle and has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,000 lbs(roughly 60,000 kilograms). 

People here regard automatics as an inconvenience.  Even work trucks now come with automatics.  It makes me so angry with society.  

Where do you live btw?
    Stangmar - Retired

• Stangmar said:
    That's interesting. Here, no matter what vehicle you take the test in, you can drive anything that's not a motorcycle and has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,000 lbs(roughly 60,000 kilograms). 

People here regard automatics as an inconvenience.  Even work trucks now come with automatics.  It makes me so angry with society.  

Where do you live btw?
    Just a heads-up... You turned the weights around. 26.000lbs is about 12.000 kg. 60.000 kg is about the weight of a M1 Abrams.
  • Stangmar said:
    That's interesting. Here, no matter what vehicle you take the test in, you can drive anything that's not a motorcycle and has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,000 lbs(roughly 60,000 kilograms). 

Where do you live btw?
    I live in Germany. 
    If I am not mistaken, getting your driving license is not as expensive in the US as it is here, since you do not need to book an instructor but can learn from people who already have a license. I really wish we had that, too. I am the only one of my friends, who still doesn't have a license, because I have to pay for it myself and it costs around 1500€ (if you're good and only need the minimum amount of lessons...and since I am not, it'll probably cost much more).
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Well, at least in my area, driving instruction is part of public schooling. There's a fee for the final exam, but it's something like $150-350. -.-
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You don't need an instructor at all, if you're over 18. In some states, there is a requirement for some kind of schooling ahead of time, but you can often get an online certificate over a weekend of clicking through easy traffic regulations quizzes and paying less than 20 USD.

This is what I did when I turned 18. That monday, we went in, presented the certificate, did some small tests (like a vision test) and I got a learner's permit, allowing me to drive in the company of a certified adult, with some time and passenger restrictions. I got in the car with my dad, drove around some in the neighborhood... The next day, I drove the family (breaking the rules, oops) on the highway to dinner. Next monday, went in and did the drivers test, easy. Parallel parking gave me a little trouble in the test, because instead of real obstacles (like bins or cars), they used hard to see sticks and a line instead of a curb, but otherwise it was no problem. 

I never got why people shell out for real-person instructors, if you're just going to be driving on the street, it's not that hard!
  • Ssaliss said
    Just a heads-up... You turned the weights around. 26.000lbs is about 12.000 kg. 60.000 kg is about the weight of a M1 Abrams.
    Whoops, you're right. Can't believe I got it wrong. I've lived in places that use both.

Daraius said:
    Well, at least in my area, driving instruction is part of public schooling. There's a fee for the final exam, but it's something like $150-350. -.-
    Yup, it was a high school class for me.  I think there was a class fee of some sort and then a final license fee of around $25-50. It's changed a ton here in Utah since I got my permit.
    Enyalida said:
    You don't need an instructor at all, if you're over 18. In some states, there is a requirement for some kind of schooling ahead of time, but you can often get an online certificate over a weekend of clicking through easy traffic regulations quizzes and paying less than 20 USD.

This is what I did when I turned 18. That monday, we went in, presented the certificate, did some small tests (like a vision test) and I got a learner's permit, allowing me to drive in the company of a certified adult, with some time and passenger restrictions. I got in the car with my dad, drove around some in the neighborhood... The next day, I drove the family (breaking the rules, oops) on the highway to dinner. Next monday, went in and did the drivers test, easy. Parallel parking gave me a little trouble in the test, because instead of real obstacles (like bins or cars), they used hard to see sticks and a line instead of a curb, but otherwise it was no problem. 

I never got why people shell out for real-person instructors, if you're just going to be driving on the street, it's not that hard!
    In Utah, we permit at 15, license at 16.  If you're 19 or older you can do it without taking a Driver's Ed course.  I got my permit at 15.5(the age at the time), took the class for half a school year(now it's one quarter), took my test, and got my license about a week after I turned 16.  The DLD was only open in my town on Tuesdays from 9-10 am, and the first Tuesday I went in, I failed the vision test, so I had to get glasses and wait another week, lol.  I was so ticked.  We had a restriction that you couldn't have minors in the car for 6 months.  I lived in a small town, so you know I always broke that one.
    Stangmar - Retired

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I was told today that, because someone took the time to teach me the basics of using the register, I'll be getting more hours since they need more cashers during the day--woot! It's a shame that this job is only temporary.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Raves for my girlfriend who surprised me with an early christmas gift of a Magic Knights Rayearth anime boxset <3
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • It's much pricier in Germany. I remember talking to people about it when I was over there. I hate being unable to find manual transmissions here. I much prefer them, even if only because it makes driving more entertaining.

Huzzah for the first week of my new job going quite nicely!
  • edited December 2013
    It's awesome watching people struggle to drive in the snow, here in the desert, lol.
    Stangmar - Retired

ZOMG The Sing-Off starts tonight!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• We have to do a certain amount of night-, highway- and normal-sessions before we are allowed to take the test. And then there are also the theory lessons and the theoretical exam. 
    Two sessions later, I still didn't hit anything and only stalled the engine once, when a woman suddenly crossed the street from behind a car and I had to brake and got confused afterwards. While driving, I also discovered that, while I am usually very calm, I tend to curse a lot...I probably should quit that....

Oh, and raves for finally finding a part-time job, that pays for all the driving. And I even get to work with 150 years old books :D (though sadly, I have no time to read them...and besides my knowledge of Gothic script is still too small)
  • I guess I should say yay for finding motivation to log in and start playing again.

I guess I should also say yay for finding a new job.  Pending testing on Monday, I'll be teaching for the county.
  • I just finished my last final exam as an undergraduate student.  Can't wait to receive my Bachelor's of Science in Accounting!

Time to start worrying about how to pay for grad school.

Stangmar - Retired

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Finally invested in a tablet yesterday, dear god it's too useful.

What's amusing is you don't realise how heavy the damned thing is till you pick up your phone again and nearly throw it in the air with excessive force.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

I am one step closer in the process of moving into my vocation. If all goes well, in two weeks, I'll be planning a move.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2013
    Gonna see the Mythbusters live on stage tonight!

Honestly I might not have gone to this show if it weren't for the fact that the one day it's in my town is on my birthday. Sometimes the rigor of their science leaves something to be desired, but who am I kidding I'm totally pumped.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    Gonna see the Mythbusters live on stage tonight!

Honestly I might not have gone to this show if it weren't for the fact that the one day it's in my town is on my birthday. Sometimes the rigor of their science leaves something to be desired, but who am I kidding I'm totally pumped.

This is why I like mythbusters.

So dreamy. :\">
  • Morkarion said:
    Finally invested in a tablet yesterday, dear god it's too useful.

What's amusing is you don't realise how heavy the damned thing is till you pick up your phone again and nearly throw it in the air with excessive force.
    What did you get?  Inquiring nerds must know.
    Stangmar - Retired

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    edited February 2014

I love my alma mater for putting out this holiday greeting for finals week.

For all those undergoing final exams: we can and we will survive!

• Only one project left... finally.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • The people behind Lusternia's divine and admin are truly amazing. We are blessed to have them. <3
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Lyria said:
    The people behind Lusternia's divine and admin are truly amazing. We are blessed to have them. <3
    Whyssat
  • Should totally post RP logs for me. (also to answer Munsia.)
  • edited December 2013
    Ssaliss said:
    Hmm. Disgaea 1, 2, 3, 4, a well as a couple of similar titles.
    EEEEEEEE
    You ought to get on PSN sometime and add me; my ID for it is MagicGains.
    I play lots of Dragon's Dogma too if there's anyone else who does...we could trade pawns n' shtuff.

Also @Stangmar - BA's represent!
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.