Real World Raves

Comments

• The Greek classes at my college are usually quite huge because people who want to teach Latin have to take a Greek test. And since most of them did not have it at school, the demand for classes is high. But then again, they only take it because they have to and not because they are interested in the language or the culture surrounding it. I guess, I can be glad that at least 14-year olds still like to learn Greek because they want to and note because their curriculum demands it, even though they are fewer than we were.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    My high school required six language classes and there were so many choices that everyone in my Greek classes definitely wanted to be there.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I'm not sure how "real world"-ish this is, but someone posted basically all of the Injustice comics up til now on imgur and I just spent a few hours reading up. It was...more captivating than I would have expected. Like, I'm still a little bit in shock at the sheer amount of events that have unfolded so far.

https://imgur.com/user/ArrogantSenpapiTheComicsguy/submitted

• Wow, none of you must be in the US.

My high school required 1 foreign language class.  I took 2 years of French(but forgot all of it).

I did end up learning to speak fluent Tagalog though in the Philippines, so suck it high school.
    Stangmar - Retired

• My employers are paying me to reteach myself calculus. Really, there's no part of that that isn't awesome.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Kethaera said:
    calculus 
    awesome
    I'm not great with math, but that doesn't add up.
  • Ardmore said:
    Kethaera said:
    calculus 
    awesome
    I'm not great with math, but that doesn't add up.
    Then I shall teach you!
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Daraius said:
    My high school required six language classes and there were so many choices that everyone in my Greek classes definitely wanted to be there.
    Six languages sounds awesome. Here, we start with either English or Latin in 5th grade and get the one that we did not choose in 6th grade. In 8th grade, we can decide between Greek and French and in year 10, we can drop either English or Latin to learn Spanish (back in my day, all those choices were one grade later, since they changed the education system). There are schools that teach more languages, but sadly I somehow did not realise that when I chose mine.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited July 2014
    My school had French, Spanish, German, and Latin. It wasn't required to graduate but if you wanted the "honors" degree you needed to take two years.

I did two years of Latin (they only offered 2 years, and there were the same nine people in it both years) and then 2 years of German.

I've since forgot most of it except a few phrases, like how to ask for a beer in German.

Living in Texas now, I really wish I had done some Spanish.

This is my high school I'm talking about btw, I didn't do any foreign languages in college I think most people in US schools stick to their core classes especially if they're doing technical/advanced degrees.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Over here, we start with English in grade... four, I think? Then we move on to a choice in grade eight (Spanish, French or German), and we can then either continue with that second choice in grade nine, or change to one of the other. In high school we keep going with English, and have another choice of languages (again, Spanish, French or German).

Of course, when we move on to college or university, it's far more diverse depending on which program we follow.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    All of you people went to fancy schools. We had one language, Spanish, (Also French until a year that teacher retired and wasn't replaced. They had her teaching Spanish for her last year. She did not speak it) Had to do two years for the state requirement, then you could do more if you wanted. The teaching was...lackluster at best. Like, you only learned that Spanish had a past tense if you went past the minimum number of classes kind of lackluster.

And still, I somehow went from that to being, amongst other things, a freelance translator. Thank you, college courses.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Living in Las Vegas now, I really wish I knew Spanish.  I only use Tagalog on the internet.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Did five years of French, two of which were by choice, and scraped a C-grade (pass) without any revision. I have used precisely none of that knowledge in the last twenty-two years, and can barely remember any of the things I learned.

If they'd have let me continue learning Russian or Urdu it might have been more useful.
  • Khydan said:
    Did five years of French, two of which were by choice, and scraped a C-grade (pass) without any revision. I have used precisely none of that knowledge in the last twenty-two years, and can barely remember any of the things I learned.

If they'd have let me continue learning Russian or Urdu it might have been more useful.
    I feel bad about forgetting french. I grew up in a small town where everybody knows each other, so when I'm home I will occasionally run into my french teacher.  She's a sweet old lady and I feel bad when she asks me what I remember :(
    Stangmar - Retired

• Just finished watching 'From the New World' and I don't know how to feel. But I want to watch it again. And maybe a third time. Because reasons.
  • Is that the 2005 live action movie or an anime series @Isune ?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    You guys are lucky. All my home town had was spanish, and that was mostly because they were forced to have a language beyond english taught.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Kaalak said:

Is that the 2005 live action movie or an anime series @Isune ?

Anime based on the novel. Wish the novel was translated though. :( A fan started translating it and the show seems to have been very faithful.
  • Shaddus said:
    You guys are lucky. All my home town had was spanish, and that was mostly because they were forced to have a language beyond english taught.
    Don't feel too bad.  In my experience, no high school class can replace immersion.  I learned more Tagalog in my first month in the Philippines than I learned of French in 2 years of studying it.  

Stangmar - Retired

• Portius said:
    All of you people went to fancy schools. We had one language, Spanish, (Also French until a year that teacher retired and wasn't replaced. They had her teaching Spanish for her last year. She did not speak it) Had to do two years for the state requirement, then you could do more if you wanted. The teaching was...lackluster at best. Like, you only learned that Spanish had a past tense if you went past the minimum number of classes kind of lackluster.

And still, I somehow went from that to being, amongst other things, a freelance translator. Thank you, college courses.
    Same for me. Spanish wasn't even required unless you were in the honors program. We had a teacher who had a degree in German and minored in Literature or some such. They wouldn't let her teach German and stuck her with Literature and Drama 
  • edited July 2014
    Finally my life is calming down again.

I may be moving 9 hours away from where I live, though.

Edit: I can has Toronto meet? (no I won't be living in Toronto but I'll be closer!)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Curse of Naxxramas is finally out, and holy shit the heroic mode fights are annoying.

They're less skill and more setting up really cheesy decks that would never work in real gameplay. Still, cleared heroic Spider Wing, bollocks to paying for all four wings to be unlocked, I'll wait till next week tyvm.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Isune said:
    Just finished watching 'From the New World' and I don't know how to feel. But I want to watch it again. And maybe a third time. Because reasons.
    Shinsekai Yori was so good. Definitely worth a watch.
    (Squealer was right)
  • Kalnid said:
    Isune said:
    Just finished watching 'From the New World' and I don't know how to feel. But I want to watch it again. And maybe a third time. Because reasons.
    Shinsekai Yori was so good. Definitely worth a watch.
    (Squealer was right)
    Oh man, the ending really hits you. So much thought went into the whole story from start to finish. What makes a person a person, how far do people go to survive, and at what point do the ends justify the means... There is definitely a dissertation in this.

I'm being told to watch Psycho Pass next!
  • ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    I have green tea ice cream and no one can convince me to share.

Where has this been all my life?

What I retained from Spanish class:

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

• .oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!