Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• As far as I've tested the damage scales with intellect of the caster.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The woodchem bombs are not intended to do percentage damage, they have a base damage formula just like normal attacks (and it's not very high), with the 'final' bombs getting a modifier for each aff.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2014
    Wrong raves thread! Yay for reviewing years!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited August 2014
    I was gonna rave about using ASCII art for echoes but they don't post properly. :(
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ascii art echoes are my life
  • First of all, I have to rave at people from the North who I talk to... I like to think of Ardmore as a nice person. He's not terribly spiteful and doesn't talk shit to other people, even when it's being thrown at him. It's nice to have a group of people I can chat with, then suddenly groups form and there's a bug scuffle in which we end up killing each other, but after that's over, it's like nothing happened and we can still go on about our day and there isn't any pettiness over it. 

With that said, my next rave is that I am slowly getting less useless at fighting. I always avoided fighting 'cause I didn't want to die. I mean, I'm still hesitant to go around in enemy territory. Amazing how much one improves when they actually try... and keep logs, first time in forever I've actually looked back and wondered why I died, or why so-and-so got away.

Yep.
  • Vivet said:
    Just make rip do a range of 85%-95% of max health in damage and call it a day, if you ask me. The way it works now seems really fishy and it lands 100%+ health way too often. 

If someone who is undeffed and a maggot can survive it while targets with 10K+ health and nimbus, tatts, kiri, ambermalt, curio, and truefavour are dying to it at max health every time, something is off.

EDIT: Also, I think this discussion should be over unless we're making a butterfly topic elsewhere. Shouldn't have even posted this, I think.
    And the point of using it would be what then? The damage is a longshot. If it is removed then the entire skill should just be reworked.
  • For the 85-95% max health damage? Once Butterfly is started, there's no counterplay involved. If you could spam Butterfly until you get lucky and take an enemy out outright, then you'll have a situation where there's no real gameplay involved. You're just rolling a dice, hoping that the enemy gets snakeeyes. That's not engaging or exciting gameplay.

Ensuring that the damage it does is a fixed percentage is still gonna leave it to be plenty valuable, but you'll actually have to engage and capitalize on the advantage. 

Or just staffblast the target. Staffblast works too.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:
    For the 85-95% max health damage? Once Butterfly is started, there's no counterplay involved. If you could spam Butterfly until you get lucky and take an enemy out outright, then you'll have a situation where there's no real gameplay involved. You're just rolling a dice, hoping that the enemy gets snakeeyes. That's not engaging or exciting gameplay.

Ensuring that the damage it does is a fixed percentage is still gonna leave it to be plenty valuable, but you'll actually have to engage and capitalize on the advantage. 

Or just staffblast the target. Staffblast works too.
    staffblast? Really? So you want me to butterfly and then staffcast?

The benefits have to outweight the disadvantages of using it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    If rip did 85-90% of the enemy's health as a fixed total, it'd still be lethal in group combat.

Also how does an Illuminati staffcast?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• They don't. Their teammate does. 
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Kiradawea said:
    They don't. Their teammate does. 
    That wasn't entirely clear in your wording. I agree a fixed health % rip is still incredibly strong in group combat.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• That's because it was meant mostly as a joke, an intentional exaggeration, not even secondary to the main point. Sure, you can theoretically staffblast. But there's plenty you can do to actually stop the staffblast. I picked staffblast over crush because I often hear complaints about staffblast. 
  • edited August 2014
    Eh, butterfly is near to useless in a team-fight scenario for as long as its effect is randomized. This isn't even warrior RNG kind of unreliable - this is random-random. There is zero strategical or tactical application to it as an ability in combat. In a standoff, it is a dice-roll, as mentioned above. In an actual engagement, it is deadweight. Take out the trueheal and take out maggot/rip, and leave it as a flavour, roleplay ability, because that's what it essentially is.

Any change to make it more "reasonable" or "usable" in a combat scenario requires first removing the randomness of the ability.

• edited August 2014
    Karlach said:
    If rip did 85-90% of the enemy's health as a fixed total, it'd still be lethal in group combat.

Funny thing is, Kiradawea's original statement actually does make sense because:

• The Enigmatic Pyramid of the Fifth Eye
      • TOUCH <construct>: Opens the third eye for 10 power.
      • Increases the chance of recognizing illusions.
      • Small protection from insanity.
      • Small chance of increasing insanity attacks if a Paradigmatics user.
      • TOUCH <construct>: Gain a chaos butterfly for 10 power which will allow the casting of SHIFT BUTTERFLY <target> [direction] for anyone, and for free one time to cast.
      • While possessing the butterfly, can also cast SHIFT CHAOTESIGN, free if possessing the Paradigmatics ability.

Meaning someone could theoritically both butterfly and staffcast ^^.

P.S: Is anyone taking into consideration that with this construct, butterfly is now useable by any citizen in gaudiguch and for free power? Just a point to add to the debate.
  • Free? It's ten power to get one and single use till you go back to the bubble to get another for ten more power.

The power less cast is meaningless if you're using the one shot in a stand off.
    Lerad said:
    Eh, butterfly is near to useless in a team-fight scenario for as long as its effect is randomized. This isn't even warrior RNG kind of unreliable - this is random-random. There is zero strategical or tactical application to it as an ability in combat. In a standoff, it is a dice-roll, as mentioned above. In an actual engagement, it is deadweight. Take out the trueheal and take out maggot/rip, and leave it as a flavour, roleplay ability, because that's what it essentially is.

Any change to make it more "reasonable" or "usable" in a combat scenario requires first removing the randomness of the ability.
    Sit one room out and butterfly people not the main target. Have a couple of people watch for Rip/Maggot to capitalise on it, but ultimately it's very low risk. If you trueheal them, it's no loss because they weren't primary, on the other side if you nuke their face off, you just killed someone while your group was killing someone else. Win win.

• Karlach said:
    Sit one room out and butterfly people not the main target. Have a couple of people watch for Rip/Maggot to capitalise on it, but ultimately it's very low risk. If you trueheal them, it's no loss because they weren't primary, on the other side if you nuke their face off, you just killed someone while your group was killing someone else. Win win.
    Anyone who can repeatedly butterfly is a trans Paradigmatics user. Any Illuminati with trans paradigmatics will is likely to be trans transmology first, even if they were inept transmology, spending the power putting greywhispers on every enemy without it would be much more reliable and useful than using butterfly out of room and wasting power. If it's a tarot illuminati, just hanged man alone will be of more use.

Any templar not in the room contributing to wounds when they can is not even being "ineffective", but being a detriment to the group.

Butterfly in an actual engagement? Deadweight.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yes, having trans paradigmatics combatants stand back and spam butterfly is an effective use of their skills.

Said no one, ever.
  • Dys said:
    Free? It's ten power to get one and single use till you go back to the bubble to get another for ten more power. The power less cast is meaningless if you're using the one shot in a stand off.
    Using up 10 power beforehand to get a defense or set up an ability, compared to using 10 power in the middle of a raid/fight, are two veeeeeeeeery different scenerios. Any combatant can tell you how important power management is in a fight and how best to capitalize over the 10 base power you have. Getting any ability that costs 10 power to cost none is a big change most definitely.
    I'm just going off feedback from recent fights, people are complaining about exactly that.

Whether it's optimal or not, it's had people qqing.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I don't think I recall any mention of it, so I just wanted to take a moment to praise the little ruined village quest that got added in the Skarch. The paladin quest mobs and the scripts paired to them seem to flow nicely, and at points you can feel like you're having an actual conversation talking to them. It's just annoying that the sympathizer's side seems to require influencing undead.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Karlach said:
    I'm just going off feedback from recent fights, people are complaining about exactly that.

Whether it's optimal or not, it's had people qqing.
    I'm not going to say it's optimal to have a paradig user sit back and spam butterfly. In an engagement where you can just fling it while rads/beckons/wisps are being thrown around rather than an actual in-the-room fight, any skill that can 1-shot a target is pretty ridiculous. There is reaction time and things you can do when you just got radded/beckoned/etc as I'm pretty sure it's been demonstrated during fights. Yeah, sometimes you just can't do anything because you just got pitted, giving the bard enough time to pfifth you so you can't tumble/pogo stick out before you're pretty much completely locked down, but that's still a case of chance. Maybe the bard is napping on the job and you manage to get out and tumble out of the room. Maybe the enemy group has no night user and hasn't dropped a mono, so you can get empressed out. Maybe you can scissorflip the bard out and manage to somersault away. Maybe you can manage to serpent and still get out, etc, etc, etc. The finality of the butterfly insta kill is rather ridiculous. The spamming of abilities to try and catch a high-value target off-shield is pretty straight-forward, and I'm not sure why only rad got the... "Oh, but you shouldn't be able to spam that!" axe. I remember getting wisped in between climbing down from trees and shielding, too. If you're going to use targeted forced movement abilities and the target isn't there, you should be put off balance/eq the moment you attempt said use. (Same as it does with rad) I'd add butterfly to that group as in its current form and shape it can instantly kill a target, and seems to do it quite often, too.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    learn to shield, make sure random chance is random, end of discussion

If you remove maggot/rip, it makes butterfly pointless to use in any situation ever. Even if you turn down the damage to 85-90% max health, it's going to be pointless. Noone is going to spam butterfly for a chance to hit the opponent with plague affs, pits or astro spheres. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Arcanis said:
    Karlach said:

Funny thing is, Kiradawea's original statement actually does make sense because:

• The Enigmatic Pyramid of the Fifth Eye
      • TOUCH <construct>: Opens the third eye for 10 power.
      • Increases the chance of recognizing illusions.
      • Small protection from insanity.
      • Small chance of increasing insanity attacks if a Paradigmatics user.
      • TOUCH <construct>: Gain a chaos butterfly for 10 power which will allow the casting of SHIFT BUTTERFLY <target> [direction] for anyone, and for free one time to cast.
      • While possessing the butterfly, can also cast SHIFT CHAOTESIGN, free if possessing the Paradigmatics ability.

Meaning someone could theoritically both butterfly and staffcast ^^.

P.S: Is anyone taking into consideration that with this construct, butterfly is now useable by any citizen in gaudiguch and for free power? Just a point to add to the debate.
    once. I don't have a problem removing this from the construct and adding something more useable either.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    It doesn't even matter, you get a one time shot to maybe kill/maggot someone, with a chance of either truehealing them or killing yourself as well.

It's not feasible to run up to the construct everytime to renew your butterfly

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Daraius said:
    These are the lamest raves I've ever read. I just wish I had something to rave about but I've been MIA for a while...
    You need to return to give us something to rave about. Clearly.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2014
    All of the adjacent summon skills were nerfed, it was a Shadowdancer report, iirc. It's... bugged for rad right now though.

EDIT: but not bugged in a way that ameliorates the penalty, it makes it worse than it should be, heh.
This discussion has been closed.