Simple Ideas

Comments

• I'd like a 2-10 minute window to REVERT back to the race I just was if I use the Changeling Cameo  (No more changing for the month after that)
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Daganev said:
    I'd like a 2-10 minute window to REVERT back to the race I just was if I use the Changeling Cameo  (No more changing for the month after that)
    Or just change it to be more akin to skillflexing, one racechange every hour!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    How about a 500 credit cameo to change once an IRL day, a 1200 credit cameo (upgradeable from the first) for once an hour, remove the willpower/endurance refresh from changing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'd still want the 2-10 minute window to undo a mistake.
    I think you should be really sure of what you want to change into before changing, With a cameo, it's not a permanent change, so you'd just have to deal with the consequences until the next month (currently)

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Why? Whats the point?
    Does it really make sense to encourage people to not want to log in for another 24-25 hours because they made a mistake? OR they just "want to see something" for 2 minutes?
  • Also, Crow costs way too much random upkeep that serves no purpose :)

Because actions have consequences.

How many things within Lusternia can you make that argument for? Oh, I accidentally bound some credits, I'd like to revert them back. Oh, I accidentally bought the wrong thing from a shop because it used a similiar keyword, I'd like to get my gold back. Oh, I accidentally used a goldentonic and I didn't mean to.

Is this really because you're worried about making a mistake when changing into a race, or that you don't want to test a race out and be stuck in it until the next IC month?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • im just waiting for when the race balances begin to happen and see how the gnome and fink cases will be decided on. Unlike the other races, players actually purchased those specific stats and, in this case, 'artifact', for those races. They wont be able to just tweak them as they do with the other races...unless they offer a credit return for those no longer wishing to have access to the races.
  • Synkarin said:
    Because actions have consequences.

How many things within Lusternia can you make that argument for? Oh, I accidentally bound some credits, I'd like to revert them back. Oh, I accidentally bought the wrong thing from a shop because it used a similiar keyword, I'd like to get my gold back. Oh, I accidentally used a goldentonic and I didn't mean to.

Is this really because you're worried about making a mistake when changing into a race, or that you don't want to test a race out and be stuck in it until the next IC month?
    It's because out of the last 5 times I changed race, I realized I made a mistake within the first couple minutes 3 times.
    First time was because I went faeling to influence, but forgot that as a warrior my charisma is lower than a tae'daes.
    Second time was because I switch to human just to see what the stats were at my level, and wished I could revert back right away.
    Third time I wanted to change into an aslaran, but was half asleep so I typed mugwump instead.
    This fourth, time I actually didn't change race, because I only wanted to see how fast I might swing a sword, and realized how stupid it is that I can't revert back if it turns out to not be significantly different.   It's a weird punishment, with no actual benefit.  Now i have to be all crafty and wait till the 25th of the month when it's almost midnight to try it out.  For what? What's the point of wasting my time for that?

I get that people like to think that since they got through a difficult time without trying to make it better, that means everyone has to suffer also, but it's silly.
    The point is you have the ability to change race once an IC month, whenever you wish, without fail, until you decide to trade the cameo in!

Every little inconvenience doesn't need to be addressed because a handful of players are effected negatively due to their own mistake. 

Sure, if they add a revert command, I won't complain, I just don't think it's needed at all, and would rather admin focus their attention on more important matters.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Apple is what it is today because they work very hard to remove those little inconveniences. Just saying.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Not really, it's way more complicated than that.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daganev said:
    Apple is what it is today because they work very hard to remove those little inconveniences. Just saying.
    And failing miserably? That said, comparing Apple to Lusternia LLC.... uhhh, where do I start on how wrong that idea is?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • There is more of a suggestion than an Idea, and I personally feel it was simply something looked over and thus wasnt intentional in its current design.

It seems with Poteens we are able to belch up the same bonus/buff we just received -HOWEVER- it does not add to the current time. It seems poteen buffs are stuck at a maximum of 1 hour gained, this meaning that rather than add to the current time of, say, an experience gain buff, it resets it back to 1 hour...even if you just belched it up before belching another. For example, I just got 2 'increased xp' buffs from belches and it was placed at 1 hour. I waited until it faded then belched again, getting yet another 'increased xp' buff also set at 1 hour.

Changes:

- Make it that poteen buffs add to the current time if the person belched up the same buff, rather than negating or resetting it.
    Or
    - Make it that someone cannot belch up a buff they currently have, thus giving variability.

• Elanorwen said:
    Daganev said:
    Apple is what it is today because they work very hard to remove those little inconveniences. Just saying.
    And failing miserably? That said, comparing Apple to Lusternia LLC.... uhhh, where do I start on how wrong that idea is?
    I wasn't comparing Apple to Lusternia.  I was making a point about usability, and how it is essentially the removal of little inconveniences. (I know cause it's part of my job)  Apple is just the most famous company for making a fortune from it. You should read their design guidelines for app developers.
    Daganev said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Daganev said:
    I wasn't comparing Apple to Lusternia.  I was making a point about usability, and how it is essentially the removal of little inconveniences. (I know cause it's part of my job)  Apple is just the most famous company for making a fortune from it. You should read their design guidelines for app developers.
    By bringing Apple up in the discussion for a proposed change to be done to Lusternia and giving them as an example, you are effectively comparing them to Lusternia. In the case of Apple, it is a multi-billion dollar company with probably hundreds of thousands of employees (read: people that actually get paid and quite well). I am not sure about the figures as far as Lusternia LLC is concerned, but as far as I am aware, the company has exactly four individuals that are being paid (Or four that might go forward and effect the change you're looking for anyway) and I'm not even certain about that number in the first place. The rest of the people involved are volunteers, and all are pretty heavily involved with projects as it stands. I'm sorry, but I rather doubt they'll be able to provide you with Apple-level customer satisfaction. (Or what you perceive to be Apple-level customer satisfaction. My personal opinion of the company in question is less than stellar)

That said, I'll take Lusternia level satisfaction over Apple any day. It only took them what, three years to provide MMS capability to their phones, a feature that practically every phone manufactured after 2003 already had? No, thank you.

On a completely different and unrelated note... we lurves all our admins and think they're awesomest. (Obviously, Isune is the best, but you guys are all great)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The poteen pots news post state pretty clearly that the buffs don't stack. You can burp them all up with the risk of having pointless multiples, or you can hold off on burping (burps even carry over into the new month by the way, when you can drink again). It's already a nice pile of buffs and bonuses, you just have a bit of risk and a lot of drunkeness to balance it out.

• I hate Apple as much as the next guy, but their lack of choices, lack of features,and arrogance has paid off. (and created a new industry in the process)

As for the changling cameo, the way I see it is that the artifact serves a purpose. That purpose is abuseable and becomes too good if allowed to be used too often. However there is a window of time where that is not the case, and it improves usability to allow for that case to be doable. Sure the inconvenience is self imposed since I used the artifact, but all that convinces me of, is that if I want to avoid these problems in the future I should choose to not log in rather than make a suggestion.
    Daganev said:
    I hate Apple as much as the next guy, but their lack of choices, lack of features,and arrogance has paid off. (and created a new industry in the process) As for the changling cameo, the way I see it is that the artifact serves a purpose. That purpose is abuseable and becomes too good if allowed to be used too often. However there is a window of time where that is not the case, and it improves usability to allow for that case to be doable. Sure the inconvenience is self imposed since I used the artifact, but all that convinces me of, is that if I want to avoid these problems in the future I should choose to not log in rather than make a suggestion.
    Or if the point of changeling-ing (Is that even a word) into a race is to test/curiosity about stats/etc, why not do what I do when I feel like testing stuff out with the cameo and changeling on the 25th/before you log for the night? You're limited by one changeling/IG month, not one changeling/24 hour period. The moment it rolls over into the first of next month, you're in the clear to changeling again.

If a feature you have so much control over (How and when to use it, and also full knowledge of when you'd be able to use it again) requires an undo button and the only person who seems to need one is you, then the problem is not with the item or its function, but with the user. If I was working as a coder for Lusternia, chances are this idea would be at the bottom of the priority list, right after "Add sound effects to Divine zaps". Of course, that is my opinion (And probably why I don't work as a coder for Lusternia, too) but there you have it.

Daganev said:
    I hate Apple as much as the next guy, but their lack of choices, lack of features,and arrogance has paid off. (and created a new industry in the process) As for the changling cameo, the way I see it is that the artifact serves a purpose. That purpose is abuseable and becomes too good if allowed to be used too often. However there is a window of time where that is not the case, and it improves usability to allow for that case to be doable. Sure the inconvenience is self imposed since I used the artifact, but all that convinces me of, is that if I want to avoid these problems in the future I should choose to not log in rather than make a suggestion.
    You're free to suggest things as much as you want, but you should realize that suggestions may also come with disagreement. I understand why you desire the change, but as I said, I don't think it's needed and the issue is really easily avoidable. 

Though bumping up race changes to 1 per IC day rather than IC month is useful, and even helps address your issue, though not to the same extent! I'm even on board with @Shaddus idea

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • And to that I say no. There are people that changeling into CHA heavy races for village revolts. They ought to have to live with their choice for one IC month, instead of easily being able to changeling back into a race they're more comfortable with for other conflicts within that month.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I think the race-changing business would be best played with after the race changes part of the Overhaul is done.
    Maligorn said:
    And to that I say no. There are people that changeling into CHA heavy races for village revolts. They ought to have to live with their choice for one IC month, instead of easily being able to changeling back into a race they're more comfortable with for other conflicts within that month.
    People already use this kind of stuff with skillflexing, and the Tam makes it so you can pretty much switch at will. I'd argue that's much more impactful on combat and events than changing race, why wouldn't races be the same kind of deal.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Daganev said:
    You're free to suggest things as much as you want, but you should realize that suggestions may also come with disagreement. I understand why you desire the change, but as I said, I don't think it's needed and the issue is really easily avoidable. 

Though bumping up race changes to 1 per IC day rather than IC month is useful, and even helps address your issue, though not to the same extent! I'm even on board with @Shaddus idea
    The problem with that is its abusable, and would thus require the artifact cost closer to 1500 credits if it's a good idea at all.
    Also, Skillflexing doesn't change your ability to move from one type of game play to another, such as Influencing to combat.
    Elanorwen said:
    Daganev said:
    Or if the point of changeling-ing (Is that even a word) into a race is to test/curiosity about stats/etc, why not do what I do when I feel like testing stuff out with the cameo and changeling on the 25th/before you log for the night? You're limited by one changeling/IG month, not one changeling/24 hour period. The moment it rolls over into the first of next month, you're in the clear to changeling again.

If a feature you have so much control over (How and when to use it, and also full knowledge of when you'd be able to use it again) requires an undo button and the only person who seems to need one is you, then the problem is not with the item or its function, but with the user. If I was working as a coder for Lusternia, chances are this idea would be at the bottom of the priority list, right after "Add sound effects to Divine zaps". Of course, that is my opinion (And probably why I don't work as a coder for Lusternia, too) but there you have it.
    Oh, I could do that... maybe.  Last night I got back from work, and I logged in, it was the 2nd of the month.  When I log back in today, it won't be a new month yet.  It's a useless hurdle, that serves no purpose, other than making those with extra time, or those living in the correct time zone during the right week of a month feel clever, maybe?  But yes, lets shoot down any idea that makes the game more enjoyable for people, with the sole reason of, "well I don't need the feature, so neither does anybody else."  We must remain elite!
  • Making all the "monthly" effects reset at the weaving will be a good idea. Things like the genie bottles etc. That does away with the weirdness of having the first of the month jump around every time it comes around thanks to the 25-day, 24-hour system.

Yearly stuff can remain as-is. Doesn't mess up too much things.

edited November 2014
    Daganev said:
    Synkarin said:
    Daganev said:

The problem with that is its abusable, and would thus require the artifact cost closer to 1500 credits if it's a good idea at all.
    Also, Skillflexing doesn't change your ability to move from one type of game play to another, such as Influencing to combat.
    Skillflexing most certainly does allow you to change your game play style. Mages can switch from psionics to runes for group fights, which changes your style of play. Bards can switch from Tarot/ecology for utility for glamours for more offense or even switch to dramaturgy if they want to influence. Warriors can switch between trackers and rituals/totems which changes their gameplay and strategies immensely. 

And they can switch skills once per day with a cord or pretty much at will with a tam. Only downside is switching non-tradeskills strips defenses, which could easily be integrated into the cameo as well as removing the refresh that comes with changing, both things I would support.

Edit: Also, claiming we're shooting down ideas in order to remain elite is putting words straight into our mouths. No one said that they're against making things easier, just that your particular suggestion wasn't really necessary. But hey, lets just play the dramatic card because we don't like your idea. Here's an idea to make things more accessible, easier and less elite, Everyone just gets trans skills and every artifact! Then no one can possible be anymore elite than anyone else.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    As someone who frequently changes their mind after using their cameo pretty much every day, I have to say...get over it. Seriously, this discussion went all kinds of dumb.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Get over yourselves