QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING

Comments

• Daraius said:
    Everybody seems to have really latched on to the new title scheme. It's too much. #:-S
    I'm sure there is more than could be added if Portius really wanted.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Daraius said:
    Everybody seems to have really latched on to the new title scheme. It's too much. #:-S
    I'm sure there is more than could be added if Portius really wanted.
    No, he hit the character limit to the letter.  Trust me, he went on about it for a while. 
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I wanted to be more pompous but the game wouldn't let me.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Have you tried getting a bigger hat and/or finding Eventru and stealing his basin-wide arrival message?
  • I have to say, I am looking forward to the strange look the first time we call Isune 'Prodika'
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    ISSUE HALLIFAX FOR USING OOC WORDS IN AN IC FORMAT; HELP LANGUAGE RULES
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Psh. It's not Greek, it's Archaic Lucidian. Which just happens to look a lot like simplified Ancient Greek. It's a complete coincidence. Really.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Yeah, that sorta bugs me too. I'm okay with the occasional reference, like Gaelic appearing in some places as old elfen, or French in Delport. But when an entire city is running around with blatant RL foreign language words as their titles, that's hugely annoying. I could understand if it was a few people having fun, but this is... too much.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yeah I get the having fun, but I generally wince inside at it. What on earth is it supposed to mean to anyone? Like people who have a motto in latin, they irk me too. Much oocedness, do not want.

• There's actually grounds for latin, looking at the names of Ritual skills. I've been contemplating writing a piece about latin under the name of Old Imperial.
    edited June 2015

Kalnid said:
    There's actually grounds for latin, looking at the names of Ritual skills. I've been contemplating writing a piece about latin under the name of Old Imperial.

I've always treated Old Celest as Rome, broadly speaking. I've mentioned Old Merian in a few of my books that would put it as an analogue to Latin.

EDIT: Also the message for hearing Merian when you don't understand makes me immediately think of Latin, but that might just be me speaking from my own personal biases.
    I want to emphasize that I first wrote that as a joke for HA before like all of them encouraged me to actually post it and run. It's like an entire clan of shoulder devils.

I also secured oaths of polite and OOCly civil opposition before I agreed to run.
  • Wait, when did you guys get a sword?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    I'm sure that we can find a sword in Hallifax if we try really hard and maybe import it.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I should point out that Serenewilde already uses a realy world language for Spiritsinger stuff, and it's spread into other Seren things.

Of course, it's Manx, which no one's ever heard of and is close to dead (though great effort is being made to preserve it's use). So it doesn't feel quite like the use of Ancient Greek, that a lot of people do know.

edited June 2015
    Chillin' on Earth at night time as lich with Darkstone construct up....

bodyscan regen
    ***********************[ Bodyscan - Regeneration Brief ]***********************
    Topic          Mod
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Health         10
    Mana           10
    Ego            10
    *******************************************************************************

• edited June 2015
    Zitto said:
    HALLIFAX NEWS #1014
    Date: 6/9/2015 at 4:44
    From: Bibliophulax Aristos Teknistos @Portius Windwhisper, Megalokalos Niketer Tarochos
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Contention of the Highest Office

I will order that the city embrace the Taint to the greatest extent
    possible, in order to increase Hallifaxian power beyond that of all
    other nations. I will arrange for the Matrix itself to be tainted if a
    method for doing so can be safely developed. 
    Ha! Good luck buddy! Your flying city will come crashing down into the mountains and provide us with much entertainment. Go for it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    And Glomdorinig calls me egotistical and vain. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    My love for Portius increased 300% after reading that post, I'll not lie.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    What if he wins?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Well, obviously he's going to throw me into the Matrix to Taint it, raising me as a Vernal Ascendant in the process. Then we kick out Issy and Jadice and Zvolt and have a pantheon of only Drocilla. Then we start remodelling...though the tea shoppe can stay. V classy.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Daraius said:
    What if he wins?
    The current fan theory is that he taints the Matrix to make it more powerful, travels back in time using the empowered Matrix to steal another civilization's edifice of power (and incidentally doom that timeline to destruction at the hands of the soulless), and returns to the present to try rule the Basin as an insane vernal god odious to basically everyone. 
  • Daraius said:
    What if he wins?
    Then it's time to pack up and find a new game to play.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited June 2015
    That's my concern on a lot of this - I think the concept-building is a lot of fun, but the actual implementation of any of it could lead to a lot of tears on all sides. It's a slim chance, but I'd hate to see the consequences to Hallifax for this. Especially the bit about trying to eject Patrons from a City. Strictly from my perspective - I don't see that being rewarding for the volunteers involved, or something that would lead to any other patrons becoming invested in the organization for a while, given the history.

Also, this language stuff is strictly fanon rather than canon, but nice job tracking down the Greek.

(PS: If I were any of the involved Patrons, I'd be rather insulted on an IC and possibly OOC level, especially considering all the work Halli's patrons have put into the city itself.)
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor

Portius said:
    I want to emphasize that I first wrote that as a joke for HA before like all of them encouraged me to actually post it and run. It's like an entire clan of shoulder devils.

I also secured oaths of polite and OOCly civil opposition before I agreed to run.
    I had been wondering if it was deliberately provocative to encourage others to contest.

HA prompting explains everything!
    I blame this all 100% on @Tremula. You have been infiltrated and subverted.

• Everiine said:
    Yeah, that sorta bugs me too. I'm okay with the occasional reference, like Gaelic appearing in some places as old elfen, or French in Delport. But when an entire city is running around with blatant RL foreign language words as their titles, that's hugely annoying. I could understand if it was a few people having fun, but this is... too much.
     I fully agree with this. There are already numerous possible titles to choose from that are already in place, rank titles, ministry titles, etc. Why the need for a bunch of new ones that are completely confusing and have never had any base in the game before? then again the entire "Special language" thing has always annoyed my before. The Blacktalon with their crow tongue for example.. you already have that.. it's a skill that allows you speak in Crow so that only others who can speak that language can hear you. why the need for all the mor'k'al crud. Same goes for Serenwilde and it's use of archaic language as well.. if our characters were meant to be titled that or use those languages, those would be the languages they speak. They don't. It's annoying but meh. thats my opinion.