Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Oh @Kethaera, you make me want to cry into my tea.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited June 2015

That was beautiful.. and a first to see a mothership with hull that massive go down! (At least for me its a first time seeing that!)  -Sips more o.j.-

At least 63614 hull or better it has.

The Enlightened Karibidean has been destroyed by Methrenton's Hammer.
    Ixchilgal has died in the imploded wreckage of The Enlightened Karibidean.
    You see the death occur at Iron Mine.  (3984, 3925, 4088, ...)
    Arix has died in the imploded wreckage of The Enlightened Karibidean.
    You see the death occur at Base of the West Tentacle.  (?)
    Viynain has died in the imploded wreckage of The Enlightened Karibidean.
    You see the death occur at Nerves Connected to the Liver.  (?)
    Synkarin has died in the imploded wreckage of The Enlightened Karibidean.
    You see the death occur at Bundle of Nerves Leading to the Brain.  (?)

Deciding to teach Arcanis the ultimate lesson in manners, you point a finger imperiously at him and
    call the curse of the toad down upon his head. You watch in satisfaction as warts break out over his
    skin which then turns green and slimy. Finally, he shrinks and transforms into a large, ugly toad!
    With a telepathic sigh, a pooka tells you that he has lost control of Arcanis's actions.

In order to put the pathetic life of a warty toad out of its misery, you lift a foot and bring it
    down mightily on its bloated green body.
    A warty toad's back breaks under the weight of a heavy foot, its innards spilling out and leaving a
    messy stain on the ground.
    You have slain a warty toad.
    A warty toad wobbles about uncertainly and turns a pale shade of green before suddenly stretching
    and transforming into a demigod. Shaking his head, Arcanis stands before you where once there was a
    toad, looking slightly disoriented and perplexed with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pooka.
    Arcanis drops a stalk of faeleaf.
    Having been too much for the mortal threads of Arcanis, he screams in agony as flames engulf his
    body and burn it to a crisp.
    You tell Lord Fist Arcanis De'Unnero, Chosen of Wrath, "By the by, let that be a lesson in manners.
    I don't need friends to kill some of you one on one."
  • That is a freaking tank, I was very very surprised.
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    So all the naysayers can stop complaining about giant ships

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • My laggy piloting worked eventually.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited June 2015
    eDIT: nevermind. It was fun!

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
     Raves for @Saoirse for saving our butts! And the rest of the awesome crews, and a surprisingly fun aetherfight.
  • @Saoirse deserves a medal... she is a brilliant captain!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I shouldn't have but I did.

You slip into a Pendant of the Divine Spark.
  • edited June 2015

The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • Jaamil said:

That was beautiful.. and a first to see a mothership with hull that massive go down! (At least for me its a first time seeing that!)  -Sips more o.j.-

Kukukuku!
    Despite @Taevyn's deafening empath-typing, 
    We blew up lots of ships kukuku!

I kid, you da best @Taevyn
    Sorry for my deafening in-call muaha <.<
                                                                  Sao <3 Pandy
  • Saoirse said:
    Jaamil said:

Kukukuku!

My keyboard is good :<
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• Saoirse said:
    Jaamil said:

Kukukuku!

I can't tell if you try type that way to try to sound cutesie or if there's something wrong with you. Or both.
  • Before I begin this, it should be known that I'm a newbie to MUDs in general. I've had to ask tons of questions on how to do even the basic tasks, and I've struggled with triggers and reflexes and making them work. That being said, I have enjoyed every moment of it. From people taking the time to teach me to dying over and over to that one Thorn Beast, and finally killing them on my 3rd or 4th try. It's a really great feeling of accomplishment when you can get a grasp of something so complicated and get it to work in your favor. 55 circles later, and I'm slowly getting a hold of how to play. It's a lot of trial and error, but it's progress.

But once you hit a certain point, it doesn't really matter. I'm grinding my butt off for levels, but I'm growing more and more disheartened to move on once I start to notice other people. $1000 in credits, $2000 in credits, and more often than not, even more than that. If I want to be competitive and be able to fight actual people, or even high end creatures, I need to be better than I could possibly get through grinding and gear alone (And don't even get me started on Artifacts) and all in all it seems very Pay to Win. I'm sure that sounds like complaining, but it's a text game of all places. It shouldn't cost thousands of dollars just to git gud. 

Now I'm totally okay with spending money on games, trust me, I've done it myself (CoughcoughMabinogi) But when you need to invest that kind of money just to get strong, it makes me not want to play Lusternia anymore. Sure it's fun to interact with others and hunt things, but then what? When events go on that involve PvP interaction, I'll be screwed and have to watch from the sidelines. I'll be stuck hunting things forever instead of fully immersing myself in what Lusternia is about. Sure, I could always buy credits for 16-17k a pop, but when it takes an entire day of hauling pilgrims and turning in Krokani/Aslaran corpses just to be able to afford one credit, it seems almost pointless to do so.

It's such a daunting mountain to overcome, even if you have money to fork over like I do. I only say all of this as a newcomer to Lusternia and MUDs in general, and I know I can't be the only newbie who has thought of, or probably did, quit purely because of the exorbitant cost such a game requires. I'm not even going to begin to talk about Vati and whatnot, because it's the same case of "Pay money to be able to survive". 

I hope I'm not seen as a baby, or a whiner, complainer, etc, because I'm trying my best not to. This is just how it all feels to me at this point, and it makes me wonder about the point of playing further if I'm not going to fork over hundreds of dollars. Eghh.

tl;dr: Game seems heavily Pay to Win, willing to pay, but price seems outrageously high and not worth it. Makes this newbie lose motivation and purpose in playing. Waka waka.

/endrant

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    In general, most of the things that you can buy you don't actually need.  There are also various events throughout the year that you can participate in to gain some credits.  In addition, anyone can help in PvE just fine.  Glomdoring has a program in place that will help you out with buying a system for Mudlet (you can buy it for gold instead), and once you can cure well enough to not die immediately, half the battle's done.

While it's still a fair bit of gold, it's a small portion of what it would cost to buy it directly, and gold can be gained just by doing various activities (keep in mind those Shallach orcs that I showed you too!  They are also good gold!).

And I can assure you that grinding and gear will enable you to fight those high-end creatures just fine.  You want to know the one thing that will help you out tremendously?  Like, night-and-day, you won't even know what hit you kind of change?  Learn Athletics up to the new skill called "Workout".  I notice that you're at novice in it right now (I'm not sure precisely what the highest skill you've learned is), but it goes Weathering -> Vitality -> Breathe -> Sturdiness -> Fitness -> Headslam -> Intimidation -> Blocking -> Regeneration -> Resistance -> Workout.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Then you can work it real good.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    For pve, you'll be just fine. You'll have the highest base hp in the game once you're at max level, and you'll have the highest hp period for an extra 500 credits. I know that sounds crappy, but the thing to do is to take advantage of any and all credit sales that take place in Glom and the Ebonguard. Most orgs will price then in the 3-5k per credit range, which becomes a great deal.

On top of that, with even some modest artistic or writing ability, you can look at pulling in 50+ credits per month via the bardic and artisanal competitions.

It's possible to compete without spending a dime. Turns into the old time vs money argument. But it is very doable. One of the best things to spend money on in this game is the 2k lessons for $20, which will help you close some of the skill gaps you likely have right now, and the elite membership that just gets better the longer it ticks away.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I did not mention the elite membership to him, but we have been talking extensively about other options (including the lesson packages).  I will concur that the elite membership is worth its weight, though!
  • Dude 20 bucks for 2000 lessons is freaking sweet, you can trans your main skill and have some leftovers.

Willing to pay $15 for addition 1,000 lessons

The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    For starters, you're level 55. You haven't even left the kiddie pool and entered the game's deep end yet, so don't get so discouraged so soon. The good news is there is no bashing area that requires artifacts (maybe icewynd but I'm artied and I don't even bother with that mess. Last time I went with some artied friends, we all still died) High end PVP content doesn't even require artifact investment if you play the right classes, though some classes will require an investment to be really competitive. 

I suspect you are listening to forums and naysayers too much. You'll hear a lot of people claiming it's pay to win. That there's an elite top 2% with artifacts and toys who are crushing everyone under the weight of their OPness. They are wrong, they just don't try.

If you are looking for immediate gratification without investment, this is the wrong game for you. You need either time or money (and people who commit just time always end up better than those who just dump money into winning) to reach a competitive level and that's just the reality of the game. It does requires a degree of patience to get better, learn the complexities, and be successful. But you can do it. It is completely possible, you just have to be willing to learn, to pursue information (people aren't going to come running to you to help you all the time), and to keep grinding for a month or two until bashing isn't so dangerous. Once you hit 100, learn how to gold bash and the areas to look for, gold becomes a lot easier to amass and you will be able to learn your skills. The lessons purchase from the website is also only $10, super cheap if that's an option to help you get up and running. 

Now that my system is updated again (mostly) for my Harbinger stuff, I'll bash a lot more and try to invite the baby gloms along for the ride. You just have to promise to not get discouraged because I will bash a ton faster than you, and yes, I have an escrow of over 4000 credits in artifacts (and that's comparatively low!). The (not so) secret is that I purchased the bulk of my artifacts with IG credits. The only thing I've ever outright bought with OOC money was the new race pendant. And I became a successful PKer before I had any artifacts at all! I wasn't even omni trans for many many years. Sure, I got obliterated sometimes, but I also learned the most important aspect of PK: SURVIVAL. Trust me, nothing teaches you how to survive at the higher tiers than getting creamed at the lower tiers. 
  • Getting rusty wheels to start turning!
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Zvoltz 2015 confirmed.
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Talan said:
    Getting rusty wheels to start turning!
    Getting them turning at all is half the battle.
  • A bit late, but...

Message #366 sent by (system) (received: 2015/06/21 11:25:09)
       A new dawn arises as you begin your duties as Archprelate of the Shrouded Mysteries. In a glorious blaze, the Tome of Veiled Paradigms appears above your head and descends into your hands.

Also, beware the  Silver Dynodeon
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited June 2015

tl;dr: Game seems heavily Pay to Win, willing to pay, but price seems outrageously high and not worth it. Makes this newbie lose motivation and purpose in playing. Waka waka.

/endrant
    Once there was a Demigodess. For lack of a better name, we'll call her...Rrika.

She  bashed to Demigod, held a lot of guild positions, was omnitrans with a lot of random artifacts, and was (upon occasion) looked up to.

Then one day she suicided. She had never bought a single credit OOCly, and gained everything she had through hard work and diligence, and quite frankly, wanting it bad enough.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Oookay
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I can't recall offhand, but I think Feyda might have gotten by without spending RL money on credits? Might be a better example.
This discussion has been closed.