Simple Ideas

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Right now, writing a book automatically adds a date to the bottom of the page. It'd be convenient and save editing time for me if that could be turned into a toggle and maybe even default to being toggled off.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yes please. I can't imagine auto-dating is convenient for anyone. Even someone writing a journal who wants to date their entries will most likely want to format it their own way.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • How about a way to completely opt out of PVP? Frankly I'm willing to sacrifice access to >half the game to just have my character permanently sanct. 
  • Vetala said:
    How about a way to completely opt out of PVP? Frankly I'm willing to sacrifice access to >half the game to just have my character permanently sanct. 
    Don't take part in non-peaced revolts or other combative things - staying in your org/other safe place until it is over?
  • Ayisdra said:
    Vetala said:
    How about a way to completely opt out of PVP? Frankly I'm willing to sacrifice access to >half the game to just have my character permanently sanct. 
    Don't take part in non-peaced revolts or other combative things - staying in your org/other safe place until it is over?
    Some combative things come to you, and hiding out sucks.
  • As much as I would use a noncom flag myself, I really don't think it's a good idea. If someone kills you outside of revolts etc. you're safe from them for about a month, after all. If you're killed in a revolt, well... no sense complaining about it, really, since you voluntarily entered that area. Adding a flag just to get away from those once-in-a-while ganks would just create an even bigger division between noncoms and combattants. Plus, if one's added then people will just ask for more flags. "But I just want to take part in revolts", "we should be able to defend even if we've got the flag on", "we should be able to change once per hour, not once per month" etc etc.
  • I'd be perfectly happy to see a restrictive one-size fits all solution.

Sweep and bar sanct people from territories they're enemied to, block them from attacking loyals, and block aggressive actions to and from the target.

SWEEP <sanct target> in the room with them to forcefully send them to their nexus/aetherplex/portal of fate. Doesn't work if you're sanct or in enemy territory yourself.
  • Vetala said:
    I'd be perfectly happy to see a restrictive one-size fits all solution.

Sweep and bar sanct people from territories they're enemied to, block them from attacking loyals, and block aggressive actions to and from the target.

SWEEP <sanct target> in the room with them to forcefully send them to their nexus/aetherplex/portal of fate. Doesn't work if you're sanct or in enemy territory yourself.
    That sounds like a whole lot of extra stuff that would need to be taken into consideration for a problem that one could solve themselves, by avoiding combat situations completely. Is death really that much of a hazard? 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • That looks like a simple solution to me. It's not the death, it's the frustration involved. Nothing says having a good time like being locked down and unable to do anything.
  • Vetala said:
    That looks like a simple solution to me. It's not the death, it's the frustration involved. Nothing says having a good time like being locked down and unable to do anything.
    Yeah, I get that. Sorry if my other comment comes across as sarcastic. To me, though, that really is just the nature of being in a PvP game. I felt very much 'locked down and unable to do anything' too, because of insanity, and even trying to avoid combat period, I ended up being chased all over the village for a good ten minutes or so. No part of that was fun for me, tbh, and I -do- participate in combat.

But nah, that's not a simple solution, imo. You'd have to remember that people can still spy on conversations in places they're not enemied to, and generally be annoying without ever taking aggressive action. And someday, they might want to turn that flag off, which is an extra hassle for people trying to figure out who the combatants are, just so that someone can opt out of something that's already optional. PK is still a part of roleplay, too, and sometimes it's warranted as a result of roleplayed, rather than aggressive actions. And hey, at least your side won. Not every moment has to be equally nice.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • So anyone would be able to just sweep them away, no matter where they are? Or would that only apply to areas they're enemied to? If B, then influencing just got a whole lot safer all of a sudden, which personally I don't think is a good thing.

Also, when was the last time you were attacked outside of revolts etc? While it certainly happens at times, it's far from a common occurance (at least not for me, but then again I'm basically the very definition of non-com).
  • You would be able to sweep a sanctified target unless you're the one in enemy territory. Can't pop up to raid Nil and sweep the guardians away, for example.

It's not getting jumped that bothers me the most, it's the pressure to join these things. Revolts and raid defense are usually the worst offenders.. I want none of this. I especially wouldn't want to be able to turn the flag off. This would be a way to completely remove the possibility, and the expectation, that I'm going to interact with the kind of people who find this fun.
  • ... I'm the CL of Glom. I never show up for revolts, flares, defenses etc. I've never once gotten flak over it.
  • Ssaliss said:
    ... I'm the CL of Glom. I never show up for revolts, flares, defenses etc. I've never once gotten flak over it.
    He can't even be peer-pressured to come hunting with us.
  • Kethaera said:
    Ssaliss said:
    ... I'm the CL of Glom. I never show up for revolts, flares, defenses etc. I've never once gotten flak over it.
    I still maintain that I'm a squishy faeling, even after the buff. Whether that be particularly true or not is another matter entirely.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Lucky you? I hope it's obvious enough that I'm done with all of it either way, but if this were to become a flag I'd turn it on in a heartbeat.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Kethaera said:
    Ssaliss said:
    I still maintain that I'm a squishy faeling, even after the buff. Whether that be particularly true or not is another matter entirely.
    Faelings are not squishy! :(
    @Vetala, I've felt your feels. Combat situations frustrate me and make me feel useless and the prospect of even trying to understand it exhausts me. I just don't have the time or energy to invest in that part of the game. So I just do what the fine folks above have suggested. I stay out of non-peaced revolts, I don't romp around enemy territory, et cetera.

Basically, I avoid things that bore or frustrate me. I log out and go for a walk if necessary, or just play some other game for a while. The payoff of learning and succeeding in combat just isn't worth it to me, but the other stuff Lusternia offers totally is, so I participate in the fun parts and try to shun the boring parts. That doesn't mean I can completely avoid getting locked down and slaughtered (by Marcella that one time, which will forever make her Hallifax Public Enemy Number One), but I find it's perfectly possible to get by as a noncom without a flag designating me.

(NB my phone autocorrected noncom to nincompoop...)
    I used to make cakes.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Part of Lusternia is fighting.  It's part of being a living, breathing world.  If you could walk around knowing that you will never ever die no matter what, you're basically... changing the entire game.  You're making it a chat-zone, and forcing everyone else around you to conform to that choice.  It does not affect just you, it affects everyone around you, too.

There are plenty of things you can do to avoid getting attacked, and most people aren't going to attack you anyways.  Even if someone does, the Avenger will protect you from further harassment unless you're doing Something Nefarious.

PS: Could easily abuse it by doing conflict quests and nobody is able to stop you.  Running into someplace, stealing a quest item, and just standing there laughing (there's absolutely no code that can be done to address this either; even if you make the "swat" command work anywhere and force-drop quest items, then other people could just abuse it on you by never letting you finish a quest ever).

The current situation is far better than the one being suggested, unfortunately.  There are just too many situations and potential abuses that cannot be coded for / addressed easily, and even the ones that can be would have to be done one-by-one as someone found it and abused it.
  • Marcella is awful and should never be forgiven for that. Poor @Daraius.
  • edited June 2015
    I suppose I see your point @Xenthos

While we're talking about things that cost people their patience, though - can the pilgrims on the roads have a little of theirs back? I know they're set up so we can't hog them, but they don't even stick around long enough for me to make a beeline to the avenger a lot of times.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Here's how you turn on complete "no pvp ever".

1: Start a character.
    2: Progress through the intro until you join your org.
    3. Wander aimlessly through life without ever doing anything to gain experience so you don't lose innocence. Possible options are: Buy a shop and stock it, talk on OOC clans, buy credits from the website and sell them to gamble, pick herbs, write books.
    4. ?
    5. Profit.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Vetala said:

While we're talking about things that cost people their patience, though - can the pilgrims on the roads have a little of theirs back? I know they're set up so we can't hog them, but they don't even stick around long enough for me to make a beeline to the avenger a lot of times.
    I"M pretty sure there is a timer bug of some sort where it doesn't reset after someone takes them to the peak. I"ve had them run off almost right after I got them.
    And you knwo to teleport ot our nexus and then use portals to the aetherplex and then path walk to 106/avechna(or just GOTO avechna's peak if ou ahve M&M or use a bublix/orbix to port right to the peak).
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Vetala said:

I"M pretty sure there is a timer bug of some sort where it doesn't reset after someone takes them to the peak. I"ve had them run off almost right after I got them.
    And you knwo to teleport ot our nexus and then use portals to the aetherplex and then path walk to 106/avechna(or just GOTO avechna's peak if ou ahve M&M or use a bublix/orbix to port right to the peak).
    Or you can just TELEPORT AETHERPLEX.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    TELEPORT BOB is closer! By like 5 rooms.

• Something I would -really- love for Lusternia are more of the flavour things that help build culture and identity. One thing I loved about Aetolia and really encouraged me to race roleplay was having cities and villages selling unique items that were org based. It gave a really cool feel to crafting if it allowed for more cultural and racial roleplay. 

So I think what I'm saying is maybe an NPC in each org could sell org only items. Or there might be a garden patch that grew specific flowers, that sort of thing. I realise the crafting system in Lusternia is different, but please some stuff with more flavour! *hope*
    Nymerya said:

Something I would -really- love for Lusternia are more of the flavour things that help build culture and identity. One thing I loved about Aetolia and really encouraged me to race roleplay was having cities and villages selling unique items that were org based. It gave a really cool feel to crafting if it allowed for more cultural and racial roleplay. 

So I think what I'm saying is maybe an NPC in each org could sell org only items. Or there might be a garden patch that grew specific flowers, that sort of thing. I realise the crafting system in Lusternia is different, but please some stuff with more flavour! *hope*

These things should be possible through your org patrons. You just have to do most of the design legwork, convince your ruling council it's a good idea, and also convince them to fork over the gold to fund it!
    I used to make cakes.

I'm in. :D

• You planning on a garden that grows Tainted brass springs, cogs, and flywheels? Clockwork orange, meet clockwork tulip. ... I may be too tired to be making a great deal of sense.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    We have jasmine, and lavender. We are not so anti-plants as people think.