Today I learned (TIL)

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Which, in turn, do require sweetgrass to produce. That quest, and the amount of frustration I've had in dealing with it, is why I'll never roll a Seren guard again.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA

Arcanis said:
    Tylwyth said:
    Arcanis said:
    Everiine said:
    Try having to teach your novices how to do a quest and making it a requirement for advancement, not because you want them to know how to do it in case they want to do it later, but because the game literally and automatically punishes you with powerful aggro mobs infesting your city if you ever stop doing it.

Welcome to the Serenguard.

cant you guys just buy the grass stuff from your tutor?
    Sweetgrass can be gotten by turning in some rare plant thingy, but it's a pain in the rear to find and do that, IIRC. Easier b y far to just reap some.
    And he's talking about someting else entirely, the prisoner that's below the serenwilde.....

Right, the Lakedancer no? I had thought that she was kept sealed by sweetgrass.

Tridemon said:
    No, no, she's kept sealed by Steel Magnolias.
    Tridemon's got it. Though one little sweetgrass is required to get the steel magnolia, it's by no means a major part of the quest. Incidentally, I don't think we'd be able to put sweetgrass in the guild tutor's shop anyway--it's basically a quest item, and doesn't respawn until it disappears. So we wouldnt' be able to stock it anyway.

We do need to stock honeycakes, though. Our mandatory doomsday quest requires people with a certain skill to continually churn out honeycakes so the end of the world doesn't come. The quest requires five honeycakes each time. Five. It is, I think, theoretically possible to use the fae whats-its-name on faethorn to make five honeycakes, but if it is, it's not easy.

And Tark, you are by no means the only person who's given up on the Serenguard specifically and solely because of the quest.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • It's actually super easy to get the fae what's-its-name on faethorn to make honeycakes, you just hand in the combs. Issue is, there aren't always five honeycombs available in faethorn so sometimes you have to wait for a repop. Having a cook do it means you need half as many, plus you can preserve them so they won't disappear while you're doing other things.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There are always five+ available in Faethorn (unless someone took them). However, Fae knights are greedy and pick them up. Beg from them to get more honeycombs.

Sometimes a knight will pick up more than one in which case you are SOL, unless you kill them. However, killing them will make you a Faethorn enemy and Butter will not be happy to make you honeycakes.
    Kalnid said:
    It's actually super easy to get the fae what's-its-name on faethorn to make honeycakes, you just hand in the combs. Issue is, there aren't always five honeycombs available in faethorn so sometimes you have to wait for a repop. Having a cook do it means you need half as many, plus you can preserve them so they won't disappear while you're doing other things.
    Yeah, it can be hit or miss whether there are five, so for all intents and purposes, it's a quest that requires players with a certain skill to contribute that skill.

Xenthos said:
    There are always five+ available in Faethorn (unless someone took them). However, Fae knights are greedy and pick them up. Beg from them to get more honeycombs. Sometimes a knight will pick up more than one in which case you are SOL, unless you kill them. However, killing them will make you a Faethorn enemy and Butter will not be happy to make you honeycakes.
    I did not know that the knights picked them up... that's fantastically annoying.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Everiine said:
    Kalnid said:
    It's actually super easy to get the fae what's-its-name on faethorn to make honeycakes, you just hand in the combs. Issue is, there aren't always five honeycombs available in faethorn so sometimes you have to wait for a repop. Having a cook do it means you need half as many, plus you can preserve them so they won't disappear while you're doing other things.
    Yeah, it can be hit or miss whether there are five, so for all intents and purposes, it's a quest that requires players with a certain skill to contribute that skill.

Xenthos said:
    There are always five+ available in Faethorn (unless someone took them). However, Fae knights are greedy and pick them up. Beg from them to get more honeycombs. Sometimes a knight will pick up more than one in which case you are SOL, unless you kill them. However, killing them will make you a Faethorn enemy and Butter will not be happy to make you honeycakes.
    I did not know that the knights picked them up... that's fantastically annoying.
    Oh they pick up whatever's lying around, one of them grabbed the unicorns skin.
    However, you can just BEG them for what they've picked up. There are actually more than five honeycombs at any one time, it's jut that the guards will(99% of the time anyway) pick up any more than five. Begging from the guards gets you money, a honeycomb, or nothing.
    To make the lock you also need Two eagle feathers(for which you need a bunch of frogs and salamanders for the eagles)-they get turned into a hair which is combined with the magnolia flower to make the Lock.
    YOu can give the hair to uetrytus to keep it form decaying.
    THen you need, the honeycakes, I think they end up giving you the seed after trading a bunch of things from various NPC's to various other NPC's. And you need the 3 sweetgrass to get the mommy centaurs help). With teh seed and her help you then need 20 silvery essence. IF you can get all that done, the rest is acutally pretty easy, you do a few simple things, then the Flower grows. The hardest part of all is actually kiling the Flower, which even a Demi take forever to do.
    It's basically a Supermob that lacks offensive abilities.

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

Tylwyth said:
    Everiine said:
    Kalnid said:

Xenthos said:
    Oh they pick up whatever's lying around, one of them grabbed the unicorns skin.
    However, you can just BEG them for what they've picked up. There are actually more than five honeycombs at any one time, it's jut that the guards will(99% of the time anyway) pick up any more than five. Begging from the guards gets you money, a honeycomb, or nothing.
    To make the lock you also need Two eagle feathers(for which you need a bunch of frogs and salamanders for the eagles)-they get turned into a hair which is combined with the magnolia flower to make the Lock.
    YOu can give the hair to uetrytus to keep it form decaying.
    THen you need, the honeycakes, I think they end up giving you the seed after trading a bunch of things from various NPC's to various other NPC's. And you need the 3 sweetgrass to get the mommy centaurs help). With teh seed and her help you then need 20 silvery essence. IF you can get all that done, the rest is acutally pretty easy, you do a few simple things, then the Flower grows. The hardest part of all is actually kiling the Flower, which even a Demi take forever to do.
    It's basically a Supermob that lacks offensive abilities.

We're fairly certain it is solely based on the number of hits. But yes, it's not an overly difficult quest, just long, and there are a number of points along the way that it can fail for no reason. The eagles are the primary culprits--there's only a -chance- that giving them a frog or salamander will have them drop a feather. Many times, you can't get them to drop any.

• Well personally I would love if my guild had such an important and themed quest that was based around the idea of stopping a big bad for hitting the community. It gives a real sense of worth and importance, which a lot of the warrior guilds lack. The quest could always be tweaked if it is having problems. We do have a quest in the Nihilists, but it is more about torturing the seraph we have chained up, quite fun.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    In theory it's great, but Everiine's explained in detail why it's horrible in practice. He's also tried with limited success to have it tweaked.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    In theory it's great, but Everiine's explained in detail why it's horrible in practice. He's also tried with limited success to have it tweaked.
    well as they say, if enough voices protest, then eventually they'd have to take notice. A lot of us here (me included) didnt know before that the quest was so tiresome for example, so more people have become aware.
    The quest itself, on its own, is not necessarily tiresome or irksome. It's not very hard, just tedious in a few places. It has some parts that feel like they don't fit at all. It can fail in annoying ways that are out of our control. But it doesn't take too long to actually complete the quest if you know what you are doing.

The main problem with the quest is we HAVE to do it, and we have to do it every day. We don't have a choice. If nobody does it for too long, the Lock breaks and the Big Bad escapes, and she is NOT easy to take down again. It's happened before. There's about 5 actually active Serenguard right now. Thankfully, Urdnot is obsessed with making sure this quest gets done. The last time I burned out on Lusternia was when I was one of the few still around to do the quest, which meant there were days I logged in and did nothing but the quest, because it needed to be done.

That has always been our primary problem with it. Forced to do it enough times, and you burn out.

• Everiine said:
    The quest itself, on its own, is not necessarily tiresome or irksome. It's not very hard, just tedious in a few places. It has some parts that feel like they don't fit at all. It can fail in annoying ways that are out of our control. But it doesn't take too long to actually complete the quest if you know what you are doing.

The main problem with the quest is we HAVE to do it, and we have to do it every day. We don't have a choice. If nobody does it for too long, the Lock breaks and the Big Bad escapes, and she is NOT easy to take down again. It's happened before. There's about 5 actually active Serenguard right now. Thankfully, Urdnot is obsessed with making sure this quest gets done. The last time I burned out on Lusternia was when I was one of the few still around to do the quest, which meant there were days I logged in and did nothing but the quest, because it needed to be done.

That has always been our primary problem with it. Forced to do it enough times, and you burn out.

Perhaps you said this somewhere else, but what exactly happens when she escapes? Just saying 'the Big Bad escapes' doesn't tell much. That could mean a number of things. Is she some smob that runs around Serenwilde killing people on sight?
    If I remember correctly, she is like a smob. I don't remember if she actually wanders around. She definitely sends her minions roaming through the woods, which aggro and kill people. And it takes a concentrated effort by a number of people to kill her. I remember it not being pleasant last time she escaped.

• Everiine said:
    If I remember correctly, she is like a smob. I don't remember if she actually wanders around. She definitely sends her minions roaming through the woods, which aggro and kill people. And it takes a concentrated effort by a number of people to kill her. I remember it not being pleasant last time she escaped.

Tsk tsk, killing the Lakedancer, I guess we know Seren relations with Ackle from now.
    It's okay, she totally comes back to life, ready to kill us all again. Which is the reason she was imprisoned in the first place :) .

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The area fills also with water, forcing people to swim. Everyone starts suffering a carcer effect throughout the area as unseen hands grab at you from under the water. This with aggro, grouping enemies  and an smob who roam around (unaffected by both, naturally).
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    And people have complained about Glomdoring's aggro thornbeasts and single spider. Psh. 

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    And people have complained about Glomdoring's aggro thornbeasts and single spider. Psh. 
    Admittedly those spiders are pretty annoying...

Enyalida said:
    The area fills also with water, forcing people to swim. Everyone starts suffering a carcer effect throughout the area as unseen hands grab at you from under the water. This with aggro, grouping enemies  and an smob who roam around (unaffected by both, naturally).

Lake skill ability hints from now?
    It's one spider, and it's dirt easy to kill for anyone but newbies (though they won't attack if said newbie is under Innocence, of course). Only thing I find annoying about it is the stink it leaves that you might not notice if you're ninja-walking past it.

Before an earthly flight

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    If you want it changed, let it escape and just leave it alive. Enough people vetch about it, it gets changed.
  • Rancoura said:
    It's one spider, and it's dirt easy to kill for anyone but newbies (though they won't attack if said newbie is under Innocence, of course). Only thing I find annoying about it is the stink it leaves that you might not notice if you're ninja-walking past it.

Whatcha mean 1 spider? There are 7 spiders (or more) that drag you up and entangle you, within the spider section of the forest.
    Ah, right, I forgot about the widows - though they only attack you if you're in the trees. I don't usually run around on tree level, so I forgot about them.

Before an earthly flight

• I think the widows actually pull people up into the trees if they're enemied (or if it was non-gloms).
  • Pains in the ass.
    They only do that to non-Gloms. Join Glomdoring to avoid tree-nabbing spiders.
    edited August 2015
    Xenthos said:
    They only do that to non-Gloms. Join Glomdoring to avoid tree- people-nabbing spiders.
    Silly Xenthos.

Before an earthly flight

Rancoura said:
    Xenthos said:
    They only do that to non-Gloms. Join Glomdoring to avoid tree- people-nabbing spiders.
    Silly Xenthos.
    Tree-nabbing, as in kidnapping people into the trees and spinning them up in a web.
    edited August 2015
    It sounded like you meant they were kidnapping trees. The sentence still sounds that way even after your explanation. :P

So! TIL that our spiders are extra awesome.

Before an earthly flight

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Tarkenton said:
    If you want it changed, let it escape and just leave it alive. Enough people vetch about it, it gets changed.
    That was my advice, too.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."