Today I learned (TIL)

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited September 2015
    Is that investment going to end up being worth it for you? If I recall properly from posts you've made you're in finance of some variety, so likely you've already thought about that, but I like being obvious question guy.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Maybe, maybe not. The industry I'm in doesn't particularly care about degrees, and I'm pretty comfortable at my income level and I'm still only 28. 

That being said, I don't know if I want to do this forever. Some days I want to cut a bitch. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    TIL that you can't use a Hand of the Demigod to give essence/experience to non demigods.

Sad face :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    RL, but TIL Queen Elizabeth II has reigned longer than either of my parents has been alive. And in fact may have been on the throne when my grandparents were born, I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if any IG CLs have held their office as long as she has hers.
  • Luce said:
    RL, but TIL Queen Elizabeth II has reigned longer than either of my parents has been alive. And in fact may have been on the throne when my grandparents were born, I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if any IG CLs have held their office as long as she has hers.

#KellyForLyfe
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    TIL Arcanis just learned about hashtags
  • Celina said:
    TIL Arcanis just learned about hashtags

#ItsAThing
    #ItsaTumah
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Shaddus said:
    #ItsaTumah
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • TIL: That apparently stats (Str, Con, Int, etc etc) stopped being a thing some time in the last...X number of days/weeks/months.

And now I'm totally confused about how your resistances/healthstats/damage and other stuff are worked out.

I do, however, really like that race is a bit more of an RP choice than a "Which race has the best stats" thing.

So, yay?
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Iari said:
    TIL: That apparently stats (Str, Con, Int, etc etc) stopped being a thing some time in the last...X number of days/weeks/months.

And now I'm totally confused about how your resistances/healthstats/damage and other stuff are worked out.

I do, however, really like that race is a bit more of an RP choice than a "Which race has the best stats" thing.

So, yay?
    It all runs off of a 10 level buff system now. BODYSCAN has all the syntax to check your stuff. It's fairly simple once you get the hang of it!

Essentially, all buffs have two levels - the level it adds, and the maximum it can stack to. So a 1/3 Health buff gives you one level of extra health, but can only get you up to 3 levels - if you had four 1/3 buffs, you'd only have a level 3 buff at the end and the fourth buff is wasted.

It allows for a fair bit of variety in buff powers, without worrying about stacking to insane levels since there's a maximum cap you can get to no matter what. No more people walking around with 20k health and 50-70% damage resist!
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Today, I learned.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• TIL there's an antbed in my yard; I learned it the hard way.

• TIL that my (-) key is indeed NOT my execute alias:

You glance over Kierstin and see that her health is at 975/8800.
    She is bleeding for 401 health.
    You assess the bodily wounds as follows:
    * Head has heavy wounds.
    * Chest has critical wounds. <===== EXECUTE, YAAAAASSSSSSS
    * Gut has heavy wounds.
    * Left arm has medium wounds.
    * Right arm has negligible wounds.
    * Left leg has critical wounds.
    * Right leg has medium wounds.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {8.9985}
    You execute the Behead maneuver: HACK DOWN KIERSTIN.
    With a heavy overhand stroke, you slam a frosted klangaxe of gleaming silver down upon Kierstin. You hack her across the chest, laying open a flap of skin which bleeds profusely.
    With your keen eye, you notice that senso from a frosted klangaxe of gleaming silver has failed to poison Kierstin.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {9.0081}

Enadonella bows her head in prayer and is surrounded by a cloud of darkness. She grips the shoulder of a hideous archdemon, whose eyes are briefly covered with an oily black film.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {10.5582}

Clenching his fists, a hideous archdemon screams in rage at Kierstin, and a ball of fire erupts at her feet, briefly enveloping her.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {10.8331}

You have recovered balance on your right arm. 2.8199
    You have recovered balance on your left arm. 2.8259
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {11.8397}

You feel an aura of rebounding surround you.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {12.1114}
    There are no poisons or effects on that item at present.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.0917}
    You rub some senso on a frosted klangaxe of gleaming silver.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.2255}
    You glance over Kierstin and see that her health is at 558/8800.
    She is bleeding for 530 health.
    You assess the bodily wounds as follows:
    * Head has heavy wounds.
    * Chest has critical wounds.
    * Gut has heavy wounds.
    * Left arm has medium wounds.
    * Right arm has negligible wounds.
    * Left leg has critical wounds.
    * Right leg has medium wounds.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBelrxkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.2572}
    You execute the Hackup maneuver: HACK UP KIERSTIN. <==== WHAT, NOOOOOOOOOOO
    Your aura of weapons rebounding disappears.
    smoke 40372
    Letting a frosted klangaxe of gleaming silver droop, you suddenly heave it up at Kierstin. You hack deep into her right leg, gushing blood pooling at her feet.
    With your keen eye, you notice that senso from a frosted klangaxe of gleaming silver has poisoned Kierstin.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.2705}
    You take a long drag off a simple oaken pipe.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.366}
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.4663}
    execute Kierstin
    Your left arm is off balance.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {13.6181}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {14.2574}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {14.737}
    execute Kierstin

Enadonella backhands a hideous archdemon and whispers harsh commands to him. A hideous archdemon simpers and grovels at her feet, bobbing his head in agreement.
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {14.9027}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.116}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.3063}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.4667}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.6396}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.7965}
    execute Kierstin
    10300h, 7300m, 7800e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w mBexkdb<>- (XBHSPFAlspr) {15.9531}
    execute Kierstin

Kierstin turns pallid and drops to the ground. <===== #AxeLordProblems
    You have slain Kierstin.
    Kierstin leaves to the ether, emanating an aura of immense power.
    The Yellow Team has been annihilated!
    You shout out a cheer as you realise all other teams are beaten!
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Today I learned that alcohol dependance is a thing.

I had like...4.2K health in that wargames. @Thalkros scented in the same room as me suddenly and I heartstopped out. #nope
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • :( I just wanted to be your fwend.
    Only because she doesn't lay eggs.
  • Shaddus said:
    Only because she doesn't lay eggs.

Does that mean she regurgitates her food into her young?

*Image*
  • TIL I'm not a totally crap Geomancer. I am passable.

Go me!
  • TIL people actually use burrow. 
  • Double post, but today I also learned that defiling a shrine counts as a free declare for everyone in the room with you. Wish it would say that in the help file!
  • edited September 2015
    Niico said:
    Double post, but today I also learned that defiling a shrine counts as a free declare for everyone in the room with you. Wish it would say that in the help file!

For order members. I should have specified that. We can also defend them.

In other news, today I discovered that you activate Curio pretty passive messages by TOUCHing them. I feel rather noobish not knowing this already, I just assumed the messages were for when you switch items around. It'd have been more clearer if there was a CURIO TOUCH <item> command >>

Edit: Although now im wondering over all the crazy amount of selectable curio messages...sheesh you curio makers overdid yourself.
    Defiling a shrine counts as a declare against everyone in that order.
  • TIL that rain, or any sort of rain sound sends me into a sleep-like stupor. Yay for being automatically gloomy, it just adds to my Glomaesthetic.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Niico said:
    Double post, but today I also learned that defiling a shrine counts as a free declare for everyone in the room with you. Wish it would say that in the help file!
    *dies of shock*
    who?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• TIL that emerald is actually one of the many possible color variations of beryl.

Hallifax is a lie.
  • Skye said:
    TIL that emerald is actually one of the many possible color variations of beryl.

Hallifax is a lie.
    Ruby and Sapphire are also the same gem, just different colors.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    RL example, but TIL about the concept of Global Cities. I now feel like the places I've lived are very small and insignificant.