Today I learned (TIL)

Comments

• TIL via is not stopped by monoliths. Woah!
  • TIL not to be a peeping tom on @Mysrai because according to @Iari she will kill you dead b/c you're so crae crae.
  • TIL there's actually a warning when you hit 500 Esteem without imbuing.

"You feel that your esteem has reached its peak."
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    TIL that I suck as a dreamweaver. I can't even apparently keep afk people asleep long enough to regenerate power and possess them for hijinks :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Isn't that just how dreamweaving is, though?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Yes. That is just how dreamweaving is, and more or less always has been. Now there isn't any passive sleep to hope and time your attempts with. That said, don't get too bummed about not being able to possess people - induce is dramatically better (and free!) than possess is, with a wider range of stuff you can do, drastically fewer requirements, and far less risk. That's why it was suggested as a replacement for possess!
  • edited September 2015

Is dreamweaving not still that you more or less just have to heal until you win? Does deepsleeping a foe still just reduce their tiredness until the point of "game over." Don't let your demesne cause any damage and after that point you win?

Dreamweaving is overpowered if anything, or was. I don't know anymore to be honest. Perhaps today I will learn it isn't. EDIT: And I guess not overpowered, but it's easy to be a d-bag.

I'm not exactly the greatest combatant by any means, but when I've deepsleeped someone four or five times in a row, and their evaluate still says they're fully rested, something's wrong.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited September 2015
    Shaddus said:
    I'm not exactly the greatest combatant by any means, but when I've deepsleeped someone four or five times in a row, and their evaluate still says they're fully rested, something's wrong.
    I didn't mean to imply one deepsleep. Six or seven should be getting close though. I know you had to let your power recover, hence the needing to heal/run. I'd equate it to shamanism oblit, BUT then again I would equate choke to retardation vibrations and wonder why that was impossible to deal with here.
  • Dreamweaving has recently been changed to not work on an attrition concept, especially since sleepiness can't be 'cured'. The concept it is now based on is vitals pressure as prep, into power moves that delay waking (regardless of sleepiness levels) to enable the finisher.

• Lerad said:
    Dreamweaving has recently been changed to not work on an attrition concept, especially since sleepiness can't be 'cured'. The concept it is now based on is vitals pressure as prep, into power moves that delay waking (regardless of sleepiness levels) to enable the finisher.
    As I suspected, today I learned this! Thanks, Lerad.
    Lerad said:
    Dreamweaving has recently been changed to not work on an attrition concept, especially since sleepiness can't be 'cured'. The concept it is now based on is vitals pressure as prep, into power moves that delay waking (regardless of sleepiness levels) to enable the finisher.
    I wasn't actually aware of this, thanks for letting me know!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Even when it did work on attrition, hitting someone until they're at max tiredness was by no means a win condition. Having someone at max tiredness repeatedly proned them, very useful for a druid, almost totally not useful for the other melders outside of a group situation - in which hitting a single target for 18p worth of deepsleep (it was indeed about 6 deepsleeps needed, if you're also hitting with sleepmist) becomes unreasonable. The vitals pressure on dreamweaving is now ego, and is just as bad as the ego pressure was before. If you don't have the target locked down already, it's not going to kill them.
  • edited September 2015
    Correct, Tiredness is no longer something you can build up with Dreamweaving, so you cant depend on that for kills. In a way, old dreamweaving was both weak and strong, in that you cant do much to your target and just have to wait for tiredness, but once they start passing out, it's basically a win. Now that EternalSleep is based on ego, I can see dreamweaving being tweaked here and there to enhance it's combat utlity.

Dont forget though, Dreamweaving is still the most safest form of travel ability, and is great for explorer rankings.

However, Psionics is still the king of Mage tertiary, and the other terts will remain ignored for the most part (except runes for chems, but even that is just affliction build-up, especially with double haegl gone).
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Lol rad says hi.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Wot. Exploring in dreamform affects explorer rankings?
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:

yeees. Basically any form -except- I believe soul.
    Shuyin said:
    Lol rad says hi.

Oh no doubt, Rad is awesome, but it is pretty situational. It does make for quite the strategic meld, but Psionics will always just remain far more better in both utility and offensive power.

As for a TIL. I discovered I could do JEWELLERY ALL to see all designs of all kinds that I can make. Im assuming it is the same thing for the other crafting skills. Make it far easier to search for a specific look or material.
    Arcanis said:
    Siam said:

yeees. Basically any form -except- I believe soul.
    Shuyin said:
    Lol rad says hi.

Oh no doubt, Rad is awesome, but it is pretty situational. It does make for quite the strategic meld, but Psionics will always just remain far more better in both utility and offensive power.

As for a TIL. I discovered I could do JEWELLERY ALL to see all designs of all kinds that I can make. Im assuming it is the same thing for the other crafting skills. Make it far easier to search for a specific look or material.
    You can actually do that with any trade, yeah. You can also do stuff like JEWELRY ALL COMM GRUB to find all your designs that use grubs, or JEWELRY ALL DESIGNEDBY ARCANIS to see all that have been marked by you as your design.
    No rad > all in most group fights.
  • Yeah uh, rad pretty much is the golden child because basically any force movement to stack ontop of other forced movement (like wisping, beckoning, chain drag, etc) is far more favorable than the training wheel skillsets of Magehood. Plus, TK at least is below training wheels level now(and good riddance too!) after the burst changes and psi shatter nerf. No one gets heartbursted anymore, 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    That's because no one is ever TK when I'm building vessels like a fiend xD
  • edited September 2015
    While rad is cool, TK still offers far more in utility as well as defensive skills. There is the massive beefiness given by Forcefield, The room-lock by Barrier, Fling, attacks bypassing prismatic barriers, passive resist boosts, magnetize, and those are off the top of my head. Runes, while having a vast range of afflictions, just doesnt really go anywhere (deathprophesy luck aside). It's a very situational ability. Additionally, with Mages most of the time not having their meld on hand, and illusions/phantasms being a near pointless skillset, it is much more preferable to have TK or TP on hand as your only skills, rather than runes or dreamweaving.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    TK is better for small group PK, ganks, and solo PK where group splitting is not an issue. Runes is always better in large group pk like domoths and bubbles. Group splitting and pick offs are absolute king in these. 

Always.

(lol at phanasms being useless)
    I will say that maybe I'm just used to fighting huge groups that I don't appreciate tk as much as I should
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ew, why are you an igasho.
    Because I had to trade in my hat to buy mindfield. Also igasho master race for being a lame ass tracker.
  • edited September 2015
    Celina said:
    TK is better for small group PK, ganks, and solo PK where group splitting is not an issue. Runes is always better in large group pk like domoths and bubbles. Group splitting and pick offs are absolute king in these. 

Always.

(lol at phanasms being useless)

Illusions skill:

Offensive: Illusion (and all its additions), Spook (I'll even give you this)
    Defensive: Blur, Reflection, Invisibility (i'll throw this in there)
    Flavor: Magicmouth, Script, Stars, Sparkle.

Illusions are basically counterable by anyone with half a decent system, so even saying that is an 'offensive' skill is a longshot.

Now that that is out, let's move on to the real meal:

Phantasms skill:

Reliable abilities: Phantom for passive affs and entangle. Whisper for knock-off eq. Reality for random moments of room afflicting. Claws for those random times you think bleeding will help, Phantomarmor

Demesne-required abilities: Terrain, Stalker, Phantomsphere, Stolensight, Mirage, Phantomsmagoria, Phantomsphere

Niche abilities that are rarely of use: Wounds, Stolenthoughts, Falsevision, Redmask/etc

Of the reliable abilities, 2 are passives, 1 is an RNG to hit and then we have Whisper and Reality (which let's face it, Whisper is much more of a support ability, and Reality is rarely used because 'why').

Demesne abilities, as I mentioned before, are cut out of the equation when, as is often the case, a mage has no meld to begin with (Enemy terrain, enemy melds, ally melds, etc.)

Niche for rarely a purpose if ever

Frankly most would stop learning Phantasms at Phantomarmor, if it wasnt for the "Dispell is equated to your level in illusions vs theirs".

Phantasms is no Totems, Phantasms is no Rituals, Phantasms is no Athletics. Please stop arguing for the sake of it.

Although, TIL that people think Phantasms is worth it!

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Any org with a mana kill likes to have a competent phantasms user. Wounds/Claws/<mana drain> ability in combination with amissio/whatever will see their mana gone extremely fast, and if phantom/whispers is up then the passive afflictions and knocks off of eq will make it harder for them to escape. Phantasms is good, it just isn't good in the way you want it to be.

TIL that Starhymn is more than likely better to be played deaf by the bard.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Basically rad is S tier but TK is a lot of A tier. Your preference varies