Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

12345679»

Comments

• DrocillaDrocilla Member, Gods Posts: 390 Divine
    @Salith you are not being "an ass". This is all valuable information and good points. I have my students play through the intro/novicehood every so often for feedback and they usually mention similar things. As to what happens regarding these problems/suggestion, I cannot say right now as we have our hands full with quite a few projects but I assure you we do read this (the entire forums really) and we do take notes. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,528 Transcendent
    As a note, you can check CHARACTERS when logged into the game.  It will show you the name of any characters registered to your account.  Note that it doesn't help unless you roll up a second character, but it is an option.  Also, if you email support@lusternia.com you can get the character name from there as well!

Yes, an automated email when you namechange would also be helpful, but there are some things that you can do without that being available.
  • MakaelaMakaela Member Posts: 369 Capable
    Martyr Yarith Shevat, M.TS, A.D.M.T.P (Male Timeless Demigod).
    He is 64 years old, having been born on the 14th of Avechary, 359 years after the Coming of Estarra.
    He is ranked 81st in Lusternia.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.
    He is an Elemental Tracker in the Fellowship of Explorers.
    He is an enemy of your commune.
    He is an enemy of your guild.
    He is an enemy of your guild's associated organisation.
    He is a graduate of the Ancestral Glade of the Moonharts (honours), the Shadowmaze (honours), the 
    Empyreal Academy (honours), and the University of Cosmic Understanding (honours).
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Helix.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Primal Designs Artisanry.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Attire.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Jewels.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Design.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Vogue.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Fetes.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'The Harmonic Array.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Disciples of the elder days.'
    He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.
    His motto: 'You are what you eat.'
    He is deemed a Sketcher by the Artisanal Council of Vesteran Honours.
    He is considered to be approximately 130% of your might.
    He has taken the hand of Shonjir Shevat in marriage.
    He has been divorced once.
    He is a fourth generation member of the Great House of Shevat by marriage.
    See HONOURS FULL YARITH to view his 18 special honours.

Just an example, Yes I now know demigod types etc are Org based however to a newcomer, trying to determine where exactly someone is from with this honours is near impossible. I mean look he pretty much graduated everywhere with honours, and until one has time to familiarize themselves with how each city/commune uses title (and in cases of custom titles this goes out the window), or org related types to demi/ascendants (if sub 100 and not ascended this goes out the window) they have no way to determine where someone is actually from.  However mostly useless information like what clans they are members of are prominently displayed.

He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.  <--- I had no clue what the institute was and I have been around off n on for a long time a new player most certainly would not get it.  
  • VersaleanVersalean Member Posts: 465 Fabled
    See, I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. If there's one thing that has routinely irked me through 16 years of IRE, it's the fact that that dood you've just met for the first time knows more about you than you could ever have imagined. I absolutely hate the HONORS system, passionately. Deeply. First MUD I ever played (Accursed Lands - yes, showing my age to y'all kids), you walked into a room with another player and all you got was "a human adventurer is standing here". You had to alias that human, perhaps after taking the time to ask him what his name was, and you might not find out he'd lied to you until six weeks later when you and another, more experienced, adventurer bumped into Bob in a cave and had an awkward round of introductions. Epic alias system was epic.
  • CyndarinAscendsCyndarinAscends Member Posts: 1,461 Transcendent
    Makaela said:

He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.  <--- I had no clue what the institute was and I have been around off n on for a long time a new player most certainly would not get it.  
    Ummm.

HELP GUILDS

• YarithYarith Member Posts: 849 Fabled
    You got me
    == Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • DylaraDylara Member Posts: 1,287 Transcendent
    He really, really is. :p

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• YarithYarith Member Posts: 849 Fabled
    It's what bunny do
    == Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • ShaddusShaddus *Heavy Breathing Intensifies*Member Posts: 7,445 Transcendent
    Sometimes Yarith gets a wild hare up his rear and needs a change.
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
  • RolsandRolsand Member Posts: 847 Capable
    If you use mmf you can always do Whois (person name)
    whatever
  • RolsandRolsand Member Posts: 847 Capable
    And by seeing Timeless Demigod you can assume he's from Hallifax
    whatever
  • VenVen Member Posts: 2 Inept
    Hi! Not  too sure where else to post this. I just started playing Lusternia yesterday, starting off in New Celest. I'm definitely not new to IRE, but this is pretty much my first foray into Lusternia. I've met pretty awesome people in New Celest (thanks!), and I quite like the city's flavor, but I've noticed that the Celestines guild is rather ... sparse to say the least, and I've seen maybe like 1 or 2 people around on GWHO. I've heard that this is kinda the norm lately due to the impending guild Reformation for the cities. I'm a bit conflicted as whether just to switch guilds, or if I should just wait around a bit, play around with some of the times I play and see if I get lucky? The whole concept of the Celestines seems very interesting.
  • EldanienEldanien Member Posts: 369 Gifted
    Most guilds are sparse these days, with a few exceptions.  Activity in the Celestines is notably slanted toward South East Asia time zones, which may affect your perception of guild activity.

My recommendation would be to find and stick to the guild that most interests you, regardless of guild activity, instead focusing on org activity.  Meanwhile, maintain communication with your guild leaders via messages, letters or such.  This will help ensure that you don't get overlooked.

• LehkiLehki Member Posts: 1,079 Fabled
    We're also in the middle of basically condensing guilds so people are less spread out, though we don't have a date for that yet.
  • AllyrianneAllyrianne Member Posts: 334 Expert
    Ven said:
    Hi! Not  too sure where else to post this. I just started playing Lusternia yesterday, starting off in New Celest. I'm definitely not new to IRE, but this is pretty much my first foray into Lusternia. I've met pretty awesome people in New Celest (thanks!), and I quite like the city's flavor, but I've noticed that the Celestines guild is rather ... sparse to say the least, and I've seen maybe like 1 or 2 people around on GWHO. I've heard that this is kinda the norm lately due to the impending guild Reformation for the cities. I'm a bit conflicted as whether just to switch guilds, or if I should just wait around a bit, play around with some of the times I play and see if I get lucky? The whole concept of the Celestines seems very interesting.
    Celestines have been fairly sparse recently (depending on timezone), which is sad, as they have some really amazing flavour and awesome lore. If you really want to join a more populated guild, go ahead and switch, but if you want to try toughing it out through the lean times, here's some stuff I found helpful as someone who joined a really tiny guild with lore I adored (Hallifax's Symphonium tends to compete with the Sentinels for smallest city guild)

- Get involved with things at the city level. Read the city news, find out who is looking for volunteers to do something, or get involved with a ministry as an aide (librarian or culture can both be great). Don't overload yourself, but try to invite people in the city along to do things when you go do them.
    - Feel free to use the CGT collegium channel to ask for help/ask questions after you graduate, if you need to ask something and no one in your guild is around. 
    - Seconding Eldanien to use messages or letters to contact your guild leaders. You may not be able to interact "face to face", but they can still answer questions, find creative ways to proctor your guild advancements, suggest places to hunt or influence, read and offer suggestions on written work, etc. 
    - Figure out what it is about IRE muds that you enjoy most, what keeps you playing, and throw yourself into it. Invite people to join you, but try to manage your expectations and don't be too disappointed if sometimes you're off on your own.
    - There's a lot of really rich lore to areas that you can learn by exploring on your own, talking to NPCs, and reading stuff in the library.

One of the nice things about being in a small guild is that it can be easier to get noticed and make a name for yourself if you're active and responsive.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals Member Posts: 2,083 Transcendent
    Is there a reason we don't give newbies free journals by anymore? Journals were always good things for me when I was new since I'd fill them up with info bits that I could read over at a glance and bookmark around the page that was most relevant. And when you're an old, old character, it's always fun to check your newbie writing again.

Like, was there a memory issue or something? You don't even need to mention it, just provide it as another free resource for them to ask about/figure out on their own.

• ArixArix Member Posts: 733 Fabled
    They wanted to make bookbinders more relevant
  • TirahTirah Member Posts: 350 Mythical
    Vivet said:
    Is there a reason we don't give newbies free journals by anymore? Journals were always good things for me when I was new since I'd fill them up with info bits that I could read over at a glance and bookmark around the page that was most relevant. And when you're an old, old character, it's always fun to check your newbie writing again.

Not to mention that books are expensive and many guilds like to get their essays/poems/plans for world domination to be submitted in writing, for advancement.