Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

15678911»

Comments

• SynlSynl Member Posts: 159 Capable
    1. That is a real problem with trades, the saturated market. I don't feel you can make trade money unless you own a shop. So basically you go a trade because you enjoy designing, which is a good reason.

2. Yea that's a real problem with melders. Why have you meld when the guy who had a demesne rune etc can meld instead. May be resolved with the upcoming mage overhaul, though!

3. Breaking into rp is hard in any game, man. I'm having a tough time finding a groove to my character in Aetolia right now. I honestly don't know if I'd had stuck with lusternia if not for Shayle (my first guildmaster) being so damn chairsmatic. 
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 2,178 Transcendent
    edited June 28
    Synl said:
    1. That is a real problem with trades, the saturated market. I don't feel you can make trade money unless you own a shop. So basically you go a trade because you enjoy designing, which is a good reason. 
    From what I was aware of there's also issue that even with a shop the ROI is so low that it's still not really worth it, because you're still competing with people that can craft more efficiently thanks to artifacts and self-sufficiency. 
    Post edited by Saran on
  • KistanKistan Member Posts: 393 Expert
    There is normally a help file or a project that covers city aetherships
  • SovelissSoveliss Member Posts: 9 Inept
    Synl said:
    I'd read up on designing but didn't know how to submit designs. I didn't know if it was supposed to be, like, an OOC message to someone important or if there was a syntax for it or anything, and couldn't find any help files explaining it.

Synl said:
    3. Breaking into rp is hard in any game, man. I'm having a tough time finding a groove to my character in Aetolia right now. I honestly don't know if I'd had stuck with lusternia if not for Shayle (my first guildmaster) being so damn chairsmatic. 
    Roleplaying is literally the only reason I want to play this game. I can mindlessly repeat tasks on WoW or Ultima but as a Forever DM all I want is some actual RP. I've tried Aetolia and actually found the community easier to engage, but half the time I try to interact with someone here they're either in the middle of something or just silently taking cures over and over ignoring the world.
  • GurashiGurashi Member Posts: 113 Gifted
    Soveliss said:
    Roleplaying is literally the only reason I want to play this game. I can mindlessly repeat tasks on WoW or Ultima but as a Forever DM all I want is some actual RP. I've tried Aetolia and actually found the community easier to engage, but half the time I try to interact with someone here they're either in the middle of something or just silently taking cures over and over ignoring the world.
    RPWHO ON is a great way to advertise yourself as looking for some RP interaction!! Sorry you've had such rotten luck so far here !
    Many greetings! I do commissions!

You say, I want that on my headstone: "You can't blanknote the dead!"
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 6,610 Transcendent
    edited June 28
    For designs:
    1) CARTELS MAGNAGORA.  This gives you a list of all of Magnagora's cartels (and the person who can submit designs for that cartel).
    2) Put your design in a letter.  Mail it to said person.
    3) They will handle submitting it (they should also handle typos, spelling-to-British-English fixes, etc).  If you want it to be a private design (only to the cartel) instead of public (available to everyone), include 5k gold in the letter.  If it's a public design, no need for gold.

On the RP end of things:
    I'm not sure what your play time is, and Magnagora seems to have had a slightly smaller population over the last week or so than usual.  I'm suspecting it'll pick up again though, they tend to be one of the more populated orgs in the game.  I usually see someone hanging around the Necropolis on WHO, and you should be okay to just plop in on them.  There are a few Mags who also talk about their enjoyment of being "abducted" for RP so I'd try to see if I can find them.  I'm hesitant to suggest org hopping with your character because you've already done it once, but if you really can't find anyone around on your play time you could roll up a new alt and check out somewhere else just to see.  Mag is definitely one of the orgs that comes across as having regularly available RP though, so I'm hoping you can find some!
  • VatulVatul Member Posts: 218 Expert
    edited June 29
    Soveliss said:
    So I'm a level 82 newbie. I've tried a lot of characters on here and nothing I do can get me I to whatever is going on in this game and it's starting to become frustrating. I can't join the guild I want because nobody can induct me. I'm without a guild because I was originally in Serenwilde but would literally be the only player logged in over half the time, and despite going transcendant in forging (yes, I invested money despite the problems) nobody seemed to need anything forged, so that was a complete waste.
    I was told to study up on aethercraft but first I have to get a manse, then a ship, and so far that has been a completely unused skill.
    I went trans in Geomancy, but I can only use that against players, and the only PVP seems to be the timequakes or bashing, both of which I'm told not to meld, so that's a completely unused skill.
    Realizing I'm not supposed to use any of the skills I've invested in I started studying influence, but all I've been doing is repeating the exact same command over and over, so I have no idea how to do that properly.

It feels like this game was built for about thirty people, and those people have a blast. Any roleplaying I do is rebuffed so I don't see any point in even engaging in that. This game seems like so much fun when you're low level and a lot is happening, but I'm approaching Demi and have done nothing but bash.
    Hi there @Soveliss. If you are Magnagoran, which I'm guessing you are, I've not ever interacted with you because most times I see you, you're really quiet! I've never even heard you talk, I think - beyond skill recommendations maybe. And I honestly have been concerned about seeing a lot of high level people who just don't talk...So, hello!
    Usually, you have to be a self-starter for most RP here, and like Gurashi said RPWHO is a good resource. I'm on it 24/7. Who has rebuffed you in roleplay? I'd like to hear about that in private, because we have a lot of people who will engage. It depends on the style and the culture of the org how they will respond.
    Summer is also a really tough time to be starting up a character, as most people are out enjoying the weather. Or getting cooked by it. So hang in there. I'm going on vacation soon, so I'm pretty sure most people are doing things like that.
    Which guild do you want to join? I know all of the GMs personally and you can shoot them a message for induction since you're past the 20+ level window for the npc tutor induction.
    Geomancy is a skill for PVP yes, have you reached out to me, Shango or Avurekhos about how to get engaged? It takes practice and time to learn because it's something a bit more difficult for someone starting out. We have a lot of resources in Midnight Legion, and I'm always up for a duel.
    If someone is telling you not to meld, they're likely wanting someone with experience to hold it and you be secondary for your practice.  We have a bunch of allies who have melders, and usually when more experienced people are around, they'll meld. If an area is larger, I've seen up to two mancers take them. So that's also a good opportunity.
    I'm sorry to hear that this has been discouraging for you. But we have plenty of people who you can direct questions to. It's not just fun for the low levels. It takes a bit of confidence to speak to someone directly for stuff, but I'm always available usually. And can help you as needed.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
    Resplendent shimmers reflect brightly off the ground, reflecting serpentine spirals of viridian gold
    in every direction.
  • SovelissSoveliss Member Posts: 9 Inept
    I appreciate how helpful everyone has been in the forums but I'm thinking I just don't mesh with the culture or the players or something. I'm a super awkward nerd and have trouble integrating and think this just isn't going to get better. I just gave all my gold to the one guy that always helped, though I wish I could had something to offer everyone who was so responsive in here! Once again, thank you all for the help and enjoy your game!