Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    All the city power quests are much more involved than communes.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited May 2015
    Synkarin said:
    All the city power quests are much more involved than communes.
    Celest doesn't need to kill stuff if memory serves, though they need a shovel and a waterwalk enchant helps. Seren and Glom don't need to kill/influence anything or leave Prime org territory. Halli needs to kill stuff on nexus world, Gaudi needs to influence tough things in their Prime org territory. Mag needs to kill stuff that newbies can theoretically solo if they are careful... especially the spectral children...

EDIT: I guess where I was going with that is... possibly the toughest ones are Halli/Gaudi.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ok.. are the differences in difficulty truly noticeable or is this all napkin math for difficulty?  If truly noticeable that seems like a weird way to try and promote each city/commune. If not truly noticeable then I see no issue
    edited May 2015
    Makaela said:
    ok.. are the differences in difficulty truly noticeable or is this all napkin math for difficulty?  If truly noticeable that seems like a weird way to try and promote each city/commune. If not truly noticeable then I see no issue
    You mean besides needing to be lvl 30-ish to kill joules (Hallifax) or influence the initiates (Gaudiguch) or kill spectral paladins (Magnagora)? Halli/Mag require curing too... as joules will blind and spectres will freeze.

EDIT: By comparison, you can do the quests at level 1 as any of the communes or Celest (If you have the gold to buy shovel/waterwalk for the latter)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I've always suspected that the Serenwilde power quest was a last minute thing slapped together to get the game ready for beta. Originally it was even simpler than it is now (get leaf, give leaf to pixie, take pixie to nexus).

So yes, commune power quests have always been way easier than the city ones.

Now, as a counterpoint to my earlier post...the novice arrived back, and told me I was right and that she had decided to stay after all. And then promptly was frozen to death by a spectre. But she's still here, so, apparently my words were helpful after all.

• @Qistrel good job then!  Also do they have a curing syste or are they manual curing?  If manual they may not have seen they got frozen that time XD
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The power quests being so different probably also has to do with different people designing different quests.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    The city ones (some of them, at least) put out more power per sweep, that's the big difference there.

Qistrel said:
    I've always suspected that the Serenwilde power quest was a last minute thing slapped together to get the game ready for beta. Originally it was even simpler than it is now (get leaf, give leaf to pixie, take pixie to nexus).

You figured out Serenwilde!
  • I suspect the main reason for the disparity between commune/city quests is that communes have 'passive power generation' (totems), while cities do not. As Enyalida said, city power quests generate more power than the commune ones. It's basically an active vs passive power thing to help balance things out between the two organization types.

Also, the harder power quests (Hallifax, Magnagora) do give out more experience as well as power, so it's balanced out by that a bit. I know the Glomdoring power quest gives so little experience, even as a newbie, that unless you stare at your experience bar while doing the sweep, you'd think it wasn't giving any at all!

Eodh said:
    I suspect the main reason for the disparity between commune/city quests is that communes have 'passive power generation' (totems), while cities do not. As Enyalida said, city power quests generate more power than the commune ones. It's basically an active vs passive power thing to help balance things out between the two organization types.

Also, the harder power quests (Hallifax, Magnagora) do give out more experience as well as power, so it's balanced out by that a bit. I know the Glomdoring power quest gives so little experience, even as a newbie, that unless you stare at your experience bar while doing the sweep, you'd think it wasn't giving any at all!
    Heh what? Are we seriously saying that commune power quests give less power because communes get totems to counter it? Where's the other 2k+ daily power coming from? Or the experience? Why does that matter at novice levels anyway?

The power difference isn't that great either. On a good day, you can get 6 spheres/hour for Hallifax (not always possible) with each sphere giving 4 power for a total of 24. You got at least 10 pixies/shadows in the same time that give what... 1 power a piece? Been a while since I did it, so correct me if I'm wrong... but 10 power difference per hour doesn't equate to 2k+ daily power.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Farm elemental  ;)

@Qistrel is probably right though: The Serenwilde quest was probably one of the earlier ones, and is simpler as a result. When Glom came out, their quest was created to mirror the Serenwilde quest. I know that the Gaudiguch quest can give out significantly more power than 24 per hour, as well as stocking the fleshpots, not sure how much power Magnagora's generates.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Eodh said:
    I suspect the main reason for the disparity between commune/city quests is that communes have 'passive power generation' (totems), while cities do not. As Enyalida said, city power quests generate more power than the commune ones. It's basically an active vs passive power thing to help balance things out between the two organization types.

Heh what? Are we seriously saying that commune power quests give less power because communes get totems to counter it? Where's the other 2k+ daily power coming from? Or the experience? Why does that matter at novice levels anyway?

The power difference isn't that great either. On a good day, you can get 6 spheres/hour for Hallifax (not always possible) with each sphere giving 4 power for a total of 24. You got at least 10 pixies/shadows in the same time that give what... 1 power a piece? Been a while since I did it, so correct me if I'm wrong... but 10 power difference per hour doesn't equate to 2k+ daily power.
    Each feather is 2 power and there are a  max of 14 shadows at a time.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    @enyalida:

Gaudiguch power quest has nothing to do with the fleshpots. If you're thinking of entities inside the Flame, that's akin to cheupeds in the Moonhart plus an extra step or two.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Magnagora's hunting is harder than killing joules. There have been some that can manage it sooner, but for the average novice who doesn't already have a fancy system and great curing, even the spectre girls and boys can be rough up to around level 30. Paladins is usually deemed safe at level 40-50. I've always managed joules from the mid 20s, even with manual curing.

We get 2 power per spike. There are a maximum 15 spikes, but usually only 13 beggars to be found, so 26 power.  But thats only if you can manage to gather all the spectres, which you can only do with help when you're a novice. It does have great XP as there is much involved, and I adore the flavour of it. But it does seem unbalanced when you compare the difficulty of it to the forests for example.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Plus there's no chance of gorgogs killing you in other power quests.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • As I recall from back when I tried out mag, the general instruction given to newbies was "ask someone to get you a specter/spike". I don't recall any other org's powerquest requiring that just so a novice could graduate the collegium with honors (although I actually have never started a newbie in gaudi. Don't recall ever hearing anyone ask for sand, though). It's awkward having to ask, but then, I've always found it awkward having to ask someone to take me around the planes, too.

I remember loving the flavor of it, though. Wasn't it something like "poison the vagrants and haul them before the Demon Lord Statues so their torment will be turned into a spike you have to drive into the giant brain below the Megalith"? Seriously metal. Maybe I need a magalt.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
    Actually, it's 'feed mind-control soup to the beggars, so they think working in the workhouse as basically slaves in order to make spikes is a good idea, then bless the spikes in order to bind damned souls to the Demon Lords, and then drive the demon-blessed spikes into the giant brain in order to stop it breaking free and killing us all.'

• That's still pretty hardcore.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Elanorwen said:
    Daraius said:
    We can't tell them that?
    On an IC level? Eh, it's flaky... at least in my opinion. What'd be the motivation to actually do it for themselves at least a few times to actually learn it if they knew they can just get someone to Fraesic them some spheres until they can do so themselves?
    Uh, I happen to know that the help "scrolls" say just that though. So, too late.....

• @Qistrel sign me up! That is all kinds of delicous evil.
  • Makaela said:
    @Qistrel sign me up! That is all kinds of delicous evil.
    *quietly begins to sharpen beak*

• edited May 2015
    @Tylwyth Hey I am Glomazon for life!! Jusr cus I want to feed beggars brainwashing food does not make me a turncoat.
  • Makaela said:
    @Tylwyth Hey I am Glomazon for life!! Jusr cus I want to feed beggars brainwashing food does not make me a turncoat.
    uh Huh, totally believe you.
    *continues sharpening beak, more sneakily*

• The Magnagoran power quest has always been far and away my favourite. It is def harder than the others, but somehow less tedious than Celest's, and has -much- cooler RP concepts. Yessss, brainwash the beggars and slap the children until they drink the soup made from the despair of Old Celest's dead. 
  • City of Taint
  • Nymerya said:
    The Magnagoran power quest has always been far and away my favourite. It is def harder than the others, but somehow less tedious than Celest's, and has -much- cooler RP concepts. Yessss, brainwash the beggars and slap the children until they drink the soup made from the despair of Old Celest's dead. 
    Been a long time since I played in Magnagora, but I remember the power quest being really cool and despite being difficult to figure out(at the time), was one of the things I loved most about the city. And Spectre Isle? I bashed there up until about level 60 or 70, and it was pretty sweet(even if I figured out little else to do in the game), I wish the other power quests were more like it.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Tau said:
    I haven't made a new character in awhile, but I decided to go through the process recently on the shiny new client. I noticed that Magnagora as a "faction" was labelled as the "City of Evil."

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like if I was a Magnagoran player I would object to this categorization as being pretty inaccurate
    It used to be called the Engine of Transformation which was a much cooler description.

We are evil. I mean, all RP aside, we are. Demonic priests, industrial pollution guys, death knights, death metal rockers, and ninjas. Novices should be made aware of that, surely?