Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• Thank you for that though - the replacing GUILD with COLLEGE gave me the information that I needed to completed the quest :) so it no longer shows up :)

Thanks
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Might be a good idea if the tour includes teaching up to diagnose in discernment. Either that or it might be a good idea to move diagnose lower in the skillset so a newbie starts off knowing it. Even with portals doing a full refresh on newbies, it still might be a good idea to have the ability to know what's wrong.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Can we please please move back choosing a race to the beginning of the intro? Novices are always asking about race changing and how to not be human, and it still doesn't make any sense for human to be the Lusternian default race.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:
    Can we please please move back choosing a race to the beginning of the intro? Novices are always asking about race changing and how to not be human, and it still doesn't make any sense for human to be the Lusternian default race.
    The reason for it being there is because it happens after they pick a guild. Granted, novices also get unlimited reincarnations and don't need to die to reincarnate either, but still.... therein lies the problem. (Banned races and what-not) Of course, choosing a guild could also be moved to an earlier stage.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • It might be best to give non-armoured guilds (Guardians, Wiccans, Mages, Druids) some kind of robe when they pick their guild. Even something subpar...that way they aren't frightened off by the big, bad and golden wall that is buying your first set of greatrobes.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I'm waiting for the day a newbie sees Talan's Really Great Robes.

• So, I wanted to share a few of my 1st World MUD Problems. I've played both Aetolia and Achaea but have been coaxed (OK, not coaxed, I just really wanted to play with a friend of mine!) into Lusternia. I've been doing the Collegium in the Serenwilde... and oh mai that place is huge and confusing and complex.

Having some hints that come up like, "YOU'RE LEAVING THE AREA YOU SHOULD BE IN TO FILL YOUR LITTLE BOWL UP!" would be immensely helpful.

Also, I filled my bowl and GREETed the wolverine spirit instead of giving the bowl to him thinking "Oh, maybe he wants me to do something else." Nope, he reset the effing thing. So to recap, I spent probably an hour and a half being very frustrated trying to find various places only to have it all erased and have to do it again. Thankfully the second time around I had help.

Make that not happen. Ever. Because if I didn't have my Beer of Tenacity I probably would have just logged off and never logged back in. I'll bring some more thoughts later.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited September 2014
    Yowza, it shouldn't take an hour and a half, what happened? Was it mostly the 'wandering out of the forest' problem, or what? If there is something we can do to improve the CGHELP DIRECTIONS scroll, that would be helpful to know.

That problem with the resetting bowl sounds like a bug to me, do you know if anyone BUGged it? Most of the checklist quests -  the planar, history, and geography quests - keep track of your progress and do not require you to redo them. It may be some particular quirk of that collegium task, the Serenwilde collegium being the first coded and conceived of the collegiums. It'd be good to fix, if that's the case.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    There is one completely random location in the Geography task (no idea why), but the others are important and well-known locations that anyone can direct you to. But the resetting definitely sounds like a bug.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    There is one completely random location in the Geography task (no idea why), but the others are important and well-known locations that anyone can direct you to. But the resetting definitely sounds like a bug.
    Oh good, I'm not even in the game for a day and I'm already breaking things. Wunderbar.

Yeah, I was wandering around in the forest. I also wandered in other random directions. I had no idea about TELEPORT NEXUS, and I see now that in LANDMARKS there are some places that I could just PATH WALK to or whatever the command is. But I had no idea at all, even though I swear I looked at LANDMARKS to see what was up with that. Anyways.

I finally managed to graduate, so onward to gnomes and finks! Dirty finks... so far so good
    Sometimes, you just need someone to tell you. There is CHELP DIRECTIONS, CGHELP DIRECTIONS, and CGHELP GEOGRAPHY, all of which would be able to tell you exactly how to get to each important location, but you really wouldn't know unless someone told you or you looked at CHELP or CGHELP yourself. Unfortunately, we can only put so much in help files and scrolls, even directory you to other ones.

I wouldn't worry about breaking things. It is far more likely that a bug crept in beforehand or has been there, but just discovered.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Everiine said:
    Sometimes, you just need someone to tell you. There is CHELP DIRECTIONS, CGHELP DIRECTIONS, and CGHELP GEOGRAPHY, all of which would be able to tell you exactly how to get to each important location, but you really wouldn't know unless someone told you or you looked at CHELP or CGHELP yourself. Unfortunately, we can only put so much in help files and scrolls, even directory you to other ones.

I wouldn't worry about breaking things. It is far more likely that a bug crept in beforehand or has been there, but just discovered.
    Superb, otherwise you might kick me out of Serenwilde. That would be sad.

I guess ultimately it would be helpful if there was some sort of direction or assistance for off-peak hours. I don't play during normal-people times, apparently, and so there is no one in the Moondancer's guild. As a result, I have little idea of what I should be doing, what my skills are (I didn't even know I had nature totem and was punching stuff for awhile... need a surname of Tyson now please...). I don't know if it is possible to set up some sort of automated help/information NCP that can be turned on/off when there is no one online in the guild or what. Just a thought.
    The collegium was a solution to help during off-peak hours. Before then, after you left the intro (which was considerably shorter), you were on your own. Now, the collegium introduces you to geography, healing skills, influencing, gaining power, and lore. And there are so many help scrolls that have been created that detail all of the things one needs to do in the beginning. The new intro tries to walk you through the collegium itself. The whole thing has been designed to try, as much as possible, for someone to learn everything that they need to know in the very beginning without any input from another person.

The only thing it doesn't do, I believe, is direct you to a guild specific scroll (yours would be CGHELP SEEKERS, I believe), because those are player-made and the game has no way of knowing which files are to be used for what. That is the only point I can think of where another player has to direct a newbie personally. As I said, all of the information is written down, and we do our best to make sure that it is as easy to follow as possible--however, if you can think of any ways that it could be improved (such as the scrolls don't have complete information), I'd message your Guild Administrator and bring it up to them.

• Everiine said:
    The collegium was a solution to help during off-peak hours. Before then, after you left the intro (which was considerably shorter), you were on your own. Now, the collegium introduces you to geography, healing skills, influencing, gaining power, and lore. And there are so many help scrolls that have been created that detail all of the things one needs to do in the beginning. The new intro tries to walk you through the collegium itself. The whole thing has been designed to try, as much as possible, for someone to learn everything that they need to know in the very beginning without any input from another person.

The only thing it doesn't do, I believe, is direct you to a guild specific scroll (yours would be CGHELP SEEKERS, I believe), because those are player-made and the game has no way of knowing which files are to be used for what. That is the only point I can think of where another player has to direct a newbie personally. As I said, all of the information is written down, and we do our best to make sure that it is as easy to follow as possible--however, if you can think of any ways that it could be improved (such as the scrolls don't have complete information), I'd message your Guild Administrator and bring it up to them.
    Interesting.

What about simply not knowing what the eff to do now that I can't go to the Newton Caverns?

I've killed some weevils and I might do that indeffinately since I can find mouldy cheese which is awesome...
  • If I remember correctly you can go quite a few weeks before you ever need to leave your starting home base.
    CGHELP SEEKERS mentions GHELP SEEKERSREADING, which might be a place to start. In fact, browsing through GHELP might have information that will direct you through your guild.

As for what you should do, the beauty is that, technically, you don't -have- to do anything. You can hunt or influence to gain levels. You can explore the political scene and get involved in that. You can take up a trade and do that. There are so many options!

• Everiine said:
    [snip]Sometimes, you just need someone to tell you. [/snip]
    But at this stage it shouldn't be difficult to the point where you're threatening retention. Sure it is a balancing act, but would you personally point to Lusternia's way of handling new players as the optimum example? I wouldn't. So perhaps some tweaking is still worth it.
    I think so too. If adding an NPC that will tell people to look at CGHELP or a specific file will help, and it's possible, I'm for it. I just think that the problem will still remain, it will just happen at a later time, and I'm struggling with the idea that we'll never fully solve it.

• Can someone clarify when, exactly, the "Please welcome so and so who has joined as a blah blah blah" message comes up in relation to the introduction? What is a new character doing when the teachers see that?
  • As near as I can tell, it's now after the tour is complete, at which point the newbie will have gone to smoke mountain and killed some finks, turned them in for gold, beaten their shadow, and learned up to rift?
    Which is long after they start appearing with the "So-and-so, a newbie in (your org), has entered/left Lusternia", which is also before they show up in GWHO, CGWHO, CWHO, QW or WHO.

• Don't remember if I already asked this: how do you determine if a mob is worth of killing or not since the command "consider" is not compared to our level?
  • sorry for the double post but I'll try to reask it correctly....my english isn't great,you know: 
    How do you determine whether a mob is worth of killing or not since the command "consider <mob>" is not compared to our level?
    Or am I wrong? I mean...I remember in Midkemia the "consider" or "probe" command was not based on the comparison between the mob level and the character level...........
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Generally, you're best off asking guild/city mates where decent places to hunt are. Consider is mostly useless, imo.
  • Euthymia said:

sorry for the double post but I'll try to reask it correctly....my english isn't great,you know: 

How do you determine whether a mob is worth of killing or not since the command "consider <mob>" is not compared to our level?
    Or am I wrong? I mean...I remember in Midkemia the "consider" or "probe" command was not based on the comparison between the mob level and the character level...........
    The way I consider it (no pun intended), is that probe tells you how hard creatures are to all other creatures. Do hunt though your ghelp and chelp files many orgs have some suggested list. If you turn on autosipping you can probably push whatever the list says for under 40, for over that you should consider getting greatrobes, or if you're a knight...armor.
  • Newbie here, 
    Not sure if something bad happened, but what happens if you do the Wolverine spirit's quest, get to the last spot I need to get to and the bowl disappears? What has gone either amiss or plain wrong? 
    Any clarifications would help.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Adana said:

Newbie here, 
    Not sure if something bad happened, but what happens if you do the Wolverine spirit's quest, get to the last spot I need to get to and the bowl disappears? What has gone either amiss or plain wrong? 
    Any clarifications would help.
    If you greet the spirit again, she should give you another bowl and, if Seren's quest is like the rest of them, the places you've already visited should still be intact.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I recently got inducted into Lady Viravain's pre order.  How do I talk to others in the pre-order?  In the only IRE game I played before this pre-orders were just clans but it does not appear to be a clan on here.  Also how do I look at the help files in a preorder or see who else is in it?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Oto to talk, ohelp to see files
  • Makaela said:

I recently got inducted into Lady Viravain's pre order.  How do I talk to others in the pre-order?  In the only IRE game I played before this pre-orders were just clans but it does not appear to be a clan on here.  Also how do I look at the help files in a preorder or see who else is in it?

You might also want to check out HELP DIVINEORDER and some of the help files that it lists at the end. 

...And I didn't have to read that help file earlier today myself for the exact same reason. Honest. But... it is useful to remember!
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."