Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• Thanks! Never would have guessed a file existed about Orders. :3
  • Just hunted/influenced newton for 1 hours- to gain 1 level (currently 27)...  That much grind this early on is kind of a big turn off. Especially as I know to go from level 99-100 takes the same amount of experience as it does to go from 1 to 99.  Honestly I don't mind a grind.. but to have the grind this extreme this early is ridiculous. I tried hunting non newton areas rather unsuccessfully I might add.  Quests (at least early ones) seem to only have gold as a reward..

Going to sleep on it if its worth trying to stick around for.  I mean the few rp moments I got to have were a ton of fun.. But They are so few and far between that it does not mask the fact that I'm already having to grind.  Which could be the reason new play retention is so low. Its not that its hard but there is an amount of tediousness that is overbearing and I think Lusternia is on that line if it has not already crossed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Are you stacking any buffs?

Most people don't actually stay in Newton at 15+, tbh. At your level, you could be hunting oozes in the forest, collecting bards, pilgrims, and scholars on the road, hunting in groups with bigger people, and so on.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited May 2015
    Shaddus said:
    Are you stacking any buffs? 
    Not sure what buffs you mean. The only buffs I have are totem and barkskin

Most people don't actually stay in Newton at 15+, tbh. At your level, you could be hunting oozes in the forest, collecting bards, pilgrims, and scholars on the road, hunting in groups with bigger people, and so on.

I have looked for the oozes never find them.   Bards and scholars only give gold or its such a minimal exp gain I never notice it when I qsc, No clue where to even find pilgrimslet alone where to take them. As for group hunting... there is usually no one one when I am.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Newton used to be unavailable from level 20. The reason you can stay there longer is if you want to complete the honours quests, you can do it without levelling up and being kicked out before you are done.

Hunting in your nexus world will be good experience at this point, as are bards and scholars and pilgrims (plus the gold is very handy). You find them all over the roads unless someone has collected them, and you simply tell them you'll take them where they want to go (your org stage for bards, your org library for scholars, and avechna's peak (way up the top of the mountain, head out and up from the aetherplex) for pilgrims. Your org power quest, the same one you do for the collegium, is also good experience at your level. As an added bonus, all of these things except the pilgrims will bring in power to your city, which is the path to earning some respect and possibly even favour in your org!

Giving up after a few days isn't a great idea because you're missing out on so many opportunities! You've already been to a domoth, and you managed to get both the Newton Honours as well as graduate from your commune collegium with honours.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Asani and Tarkenton just introduced me to influencing.. holy crap the exp from that is insane.
  • Makaela said:
    Asani and Tarkenton just introduced me to influencing.. holy crap the exp from that is insane.
    Have you read CHELP hunting? It shows creatures to hunt up to level 50. Also, if you catch me on, and you want to fight something hard, let me know and I'll heal you :)
  • Makaela said:
    Just hunted/influenced newton for 1 hours- to gain 1 level (currently 27)...  That much grind this early on is kind of a big turn off. Especially as I know to go from level 99-100 takes the same amount of experience as it does to go from 1 to 99.  Honestly I don't mind a grind.. but to have the grind this extreme this early is ridiculous. I tried hunting non newton areas rather unsuccessfully I might add.  Quests (at least early ones) seem to only have gold as a reward..

Going to sleep on it if its worth trying to stick around for.  I mean the few rp moments I got to have were a ton of fun.. But They are so few and far between that it does not mask the fact that I'm already having to grind.  Which could be the reason new play retention is so low. Its not that its hard but there is an amount of tediousness that is overbearing and I think Lusternia is on that line if it has not already crossed it.
    I do want to dispel your worries a little bit there.  The half-way point in terms of total experience required is actually in the level 92-93, and by the time you get there you'll be dealing with things that are worth considerably more experience.  Most of all, as you spend time talking to people and learning about the game you'll pick up a lot of tricks.  A big part of leveling quickly is stacking up advantages, as @Shaddus was suggesting.  The people in your organization can help you more with the specifics, but there are a variety of ways to earn significant temporary bonuses to the experience you're earning.  On the far end of stacking these advantages, you can end up with 6-8x bonus on the experience you're earning.  When you combine these with the ability to hunt or influence higher-value denizens, you can end up leveling pretty quickly.  If you mention that you're a friend of @Tarkenton to Zitto in game, I'd definitely be willing to help point you in the right direction on some of this stuff.
  • Makaela said:
    Just hunted/influenced newton for 1 hours- to gain 1 level (currently 27)...  That much grind this early on is kind of a big turn off. Especially as I know to go from level 99-100 takes the same amount of experience as it does to go from 1 to 99.  Honestly I don't mind a grind.. but to have the grind this extreme this early is ridiculous. I tried hunting non newton areas rather unsuccessfully I might add.  Quests (at least early ones) seem to only have gold as a reward..

You've probably figured out that you were looking at it wrong The point of newton 20th to 30th is gold or to work on quests. It is a tradeoff. People rush to get out of newton and then they'll struggle on the gold.
  • Ah, I find I make gold easy usually. But I do not know Lusternias economy that well so maybe...
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That should more or less continue: gold is more than plentiful, cures are cheaper than cheap, and you get massive gobs of starter cash to buy durables (robes/armor) from the collegum. If you are done with the fink and gnome achievements, are uninterested in the (famously moon-logic and difficult) quests there, and are above level 10 or so, you can leave newton without regrets. It's kind of a novice trap that way.
  • What are moon logic quests?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    Quests that have sections where the next step requires an extreme or otherwise nonsensical logical leap. I remember looking at a step-by-step walkthrough of the Newton quests and still not understanding how you're supposed to guess at some of the steps. Most of Lusternia's quests don't have this problem, thankfully - a small handful do*. The Newton quests are infamous for having a few of those kinds of steps (though they've been largely mitigated with HINTs), as well as being hard to complete for a novice due to having double-speed item decay and the need to double back and forth up and down the levels of the area.

*Looking at you, Seren epic.
  • Ohh yeah i just goigled that then followed the link to cloudcuckoolander(which i suspect I am IRL. I have a friend who frequently tells me that my logic comes off as illogical until he thinks on it for hours).

I find these moon-logic quests easier for me than normal logic quests >.>
  • edited May 2015
    I somehow lost all my bards, scholars and pilgrims... None of them did the bored emote/say so no clue what happened :(  They all just vanished at once. I did not fly as that was suggested to me could cuase them all to get lost and there was nothing to indicate I had lopst them until I got to the peak and no pilgrims got happy... then I quick looked and saw they were all gone

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited May 2015
    That's happened to me before. Just walking along in the mountains, and suddenly my entire entourage is gone. I only realized it because m&m noticed right away I was dismounted.

(So, uh. I guess it's not just a newbie concern!)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Ah.. I just assumed there was some other factor I was not aware of that could cuase them to lose you :/
  • Makaela said:
    Ah.. I just assumed there was some other factor I was not aware of that could cuase them to lose you :/
    Huh, I"ve had then just stop following me, while I was path walking up to avechna before, but I went back and was able to regather them(they were all in a single area).

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There's still a bug out there where your entourage stops following you.  It is way less frequent now than it used to be, Iosai and I spent like, 6 months debugging and diagnosing it.  We eventually found that it had to do with Astral Insanity (at least the most frequent version of it); when someone saw you on LOOK via Astral Insanity, you lost your entire entourage.  Iosai fixed that part of the problem, at least.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Just had a ninja newbie quit because the Magnagoran power quest was 'too hard'. Tried to explain that hunting specters was hard for her level, that the quest taught you to ask for help, and that it is not her fault she can't do it by herself. To which she replied 'then the collegium shouldn't ask me to do it.'

I'm not sure what else I could have done. :(

• Eh, that sounds like she wanted to play a single player game where she didn't have to do anything "hard". In which case, she'd be gone before long anyway, whatever you did.

• I doi not think any other city/commune has a power quest that requires help.  The collegium stuff is meant to be a tutorial so perhaps they were more aggravated that they needed help while still effectivly in the tutorial?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Hallifax people sometimes need help killing the joules, depending on the level they do their collegium stuff and (I presume, been ages since I helped someone with it) if they rejected grace or not. Most people do it late enough that they're fine, though, so I don't know exactly how it compares to Mag's for difficulty.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ah! Then no clue.
    Qistrel said:
    Just had a ninja newbie quit because the Magnagoran power quest was 'too hard'. Tried to explain that hunting specters was hard for her level, that the quest taught you to ask for help, and that it is not her fault she can't do it by herself. To which she replied 'then the collegium shouldn't ask me to do it.'

I'm not sure what else I could have done. :(
    Absolutely nothing. Things happen, and she couldn't follow instructions. This isn't a single player game where you make your own rules on what's fair and not fair.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Portius said:
    Hallifax people sometimes need help killing the joules, depending on the level they do their collegium stuff and (I presume, been ages since I helped someone with it) if they rejected grace or not. Most people do it late enough that they're fine, though, so I don't know exactly how it compares to Mag's for difficulty.
    Difficulty level of Halli quest is higher than Mag's, technically speaking. Joules hit as hard as spectres... close to the level of paladin spectres even, and we have the added complication of mixing the spheres after which makes it frustrating and it's not like we can tell them... "Eh, you just need to do it 10 times like that. After you can get Fraesic to mix them for you"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    We can't tell them that?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daraius said:
    We can't tell them that?
    On an IC level? Eh, it's flaky... at least in my opinion. What'd be the motivation to actually do it for themselves at least a few times to actually learn it if they knew they can just get someone to Fraesic them some spheres until they can do so themselves?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Why is it Hallifax and Magnagora are required to kill things for thier power quest at all? Glom get web, find crow shadow, drop web, rinse repeat till no more shadows can be found. Drop shadows at location A get feathers put feathers in tree. As I only play Glom I cant speak for thd rest but it seems silly for there to be such a huge disparity in difficulty for the basic power quest.