General Impressions on Overhaul

Comments

• The overhaul is based around spamming a handful of skills until the person hits level 5.

He is leaving as soon as appointed, go figure.

@Estarra: I was optimistic and flexible, and generally inviting. Then we had like 4 months go by where we continued to make the same mistakes and everyone stopped talking, thus I poked back in.  It is nothing against you, but if we get to 10 guilds out then agree there is an issue it is much less likely to go over well than if we nip it at 3.  So far the design looks intended for casual combat, ala KILL <target>. Most things are not varied, or seem entirely out of place (most bard passives dont seem to go anywhere).

@Synkarin: I will wait for your thoughts on that one, you need monk feedback or general thoughts let me know. It is entirely your show on this one.  Though I am prefering what we have now, because it leaves us unique.
  • From a number of conversations lately, it still seems to be the case that the shells are far too buggy to get any proper testing done. Is there any news on this front yet?

• *crickets*

So... bout that having a feedback person.....
  • Just curious, what is the state of the Overhaul?  How is the overhaul being tested and is there any way I can help?

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's just being tested at this point by players popping into shells and bugging buggy things they find, with the 'tag' "OVERHAUL - " tagged on front for easy sorting, posting feedback in threads like this. Last I checked though, the shells were really buggy, which discouraged anyone from real testing. Also, some radio silence issues.
  • edited March 2014
    I will offer to help with the overhaul again. I can work under whatever system, could even repair what we have now.

This overhaul is putting a lot of people off. I can change guild, but overhaul might change it. I could work on my system, but i'd have to rewrite it. Etc.

(AKA: Bump)
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    One of the things I was looking forward to seeing come out of Ironcon was some sort of update on what's going on with the overhaul.  Is there anything to report?  The last changelog I saw of it was from the end of 2013, and things have been pretty silent on all fronts afterwards it seems like.  I don't mind to sound like that guy, but has anything been going on with it?

If it's a matter of needing more bodies to throw themselves at it to test things out, I'm more than willing to devote an hour or two of my normal play time a day/week/pick a unit of time to play with it and figure things out.  If it isn't that, then what's needed on the administration's part from us players to help with this?  Combat is my primary/secondary interest in this game (it jockeys with RPing) and if there's something that I can do to help make it better, I'd like to.  Even if I'm a baddie :D
    edited March 2014
    The problem was (last I checked) that the shells were too solidly buggy for testing.

EDIT: I'm up to test that, though. Just find me!
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:
    The problem was (last I checked) that the shells were too solidly buggy for testing.

EDIT: I'm up to test that, though. Just find me!
    I'm personally still quite disappointed that things like cactus weed and alcohol as afflictions exist. This is not an attack aimed at the Minstrels at all, it is just my opinion that any one guild requiring people to buy artifacts to be competitive against their base skillsets (and only theirs) is ridiculous, and I would be complaining about it if Loralaria had it, too. (Not going to go into the fact that I just tested alcohol levels out and so roughly 4 shotsongs... i.e. 20 power worth can easily disable an individual for 40-50 minutes AFTER the fight is over, which is even more disturbing)

Please, let's get rid of the uncureable afflictions/afflictions that have no use but spam (I'm looking at you, tripping hard) Smiley faces are all fine and dandy for a giggle, but they really have no place in the game beyond some sparkly illusion thing that requires balance to execute.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Not to mention that people with the artifacts are significantly resistant to their skills, so it doesn't work out well for them either.
    edited March 2014
    Enyalida said:
    Not to mention that people with the artifacts are significantly resistant to their skills, so it doesn't work out well for them either.
    Eh, not that resistant. Few days ago, I ate passive increase in drunk levels at unabashed alcoholic with both artis for about 4 blank note's worth... and then had to spend 30 minutes out of Halli because I was drunk.

EDIT: In the end, there is no guild that can build up so their abilities grow stronger, leave, come back five minutes later and be able to resume practically from where they left off. Drunk levels induced by minstrels should dissipate much faster if the minstrel is not in your room.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:

EDIT: In the end, there is no guild that can build up so their abilities grow stronger, leave, come back five minutes later and be able to resume practically from where they left off. 
    Astrology?

Of course, I'd quite like being able to drop spheres through focus spirit (in exchange for reducing the willpower cost of casting spheres).
  • no idea if this works here, but isn't there the age old trick of rubbing death 7 times and storing the card in a stockroom for 3 weeks before using it to SURPRISE BUTTSE- i mean, ambush?

I just personally think command denial is irritating and should go away.

Akyaevin said:
    Elanorwen said:

EDIT: In the end, there is no guild that can build up so their abilities grow stronger, leave, come back five minutes later and be able to resume practically from where they left off. 
    Astrology?

Of course, I'd quite like being able to drop spheres through focus spirit (in exchange for reducing the willpower cost of casting spheres).
    There is a way to counter it, though. Friendly astrologer can cancel it.... and like I said, passive build up for 4 blank notes worth with both artis and tolerance at max, and I ended up spending 25+ minutes recovering from being drunk. That said, without the 60db arti, you're stuck between either running around drunk to cancel out alcohol withdrawal at the high tolerance levels which in turn means they have less time required to build up on you.... or you take a pretty nasty hit to your vital stats.

• Unless it was changed, enter an arena and die. You lose defs but it should cure alcohol.

Tarot cards were changed to decay in stockrooms last I knew, for the same reasons heads were.

I don't know about focus spirit curing spheres though, should be a way but it should be more costly so people cant shield and stall it out. 

On an unrelated note....... for overhaul.......... can we remove or greatly change the healing skillset?  It serves no real function.  At best: It works as intended, you cannot generally kill the person unless you have a special insta they cant cure against. They won't kill you, you wont kill them.    At worst: It works as intended AND they can still kill you.  The IRE principle I recall reading said we should be chasing eq/bal, that with even skill it should be difficult to win, but uneven skill should have a clear victor.  Being able to put up aura of cure X and actively heal all afflictions every round at any skill level is the definition of unneeded.

I would still remove illusions FROM COMBAT, not in their entirety, so that we could ignore having to use illusion protection. 

• Oh yes, please remove prismatic shields from existence.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited March 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Akyaevin said:
    Elanorwen said:

Astrology?

There is a way to counter it, though. Friendly astrologer can cancel it.... and like I said, passive build up for 4 blank notes worth with both artis and tolerance at max, and I ended up spending 25+ minutes recovering from being drunk. That said, without the 60db arti, you're stuck between either running around drunk to cancel out alcohol withdrawal at the high tolerance levels which in turn means they have less time required to build up on you.... or you take a pretty nasty hit to your vital stats.
    Yeah, that doesn't happen, there's a limit to how drunk you can make someone. You may have been a bit drunk for 25 mins, but nothing that should really affect actions or cause you to stumble over etc. I've tested this on quite a few people. I can't push myself out of sober as a dwarf brewmeister.

The main point being if you want to complain about certain mechanics, then you should at least know what you're talking about. Making stuff up doesn't help your case. I'm all for a change to alcohol and surrounding mechanics, but I'm not on board to overly nerf it because certain people cry about it more than it deserves.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    If you don't have a problem with spheres because Astros can cure them, you, by logical conclusion, don't have a problem with drunkeness as a combat mechanic because healers can cure it with equal ease. Several of you seem to be under impression that the overhaul is an avenue to air all your pk grievances and complain about/nerf/remove the skills you don't like. Like for real, healing of all things?
  • I kill healers just fine, ask Caerlyr. I have vessels.

If we overhaul though, making most afflictions require getting to certain levels in their tree and healing is left as is, you will never, ever, get a single useful affliction.  And as the intended design of the  overhaul to building into things, this would neuter combat completely.  1 Healing aura on allies could avoid deaths on multiple people simultaneously as well, since last I checked, you can use auras and still use CURE ME normally.

Look past assumptions of calls for nerf. I was not part of that whole bit, I am aiming for a better combat environment when all is said and done.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Starting this off with this statement: I play a character with healing because it's one of the closest things I can get to being a support (instead of a burst or a tank). I like being a support. If Lusternia takes away my ability to be a support, I will be a very grumpy person.

Removing the healing skill does little more than lower the amount of diversity for support in the guardian/wiccan classes. In fact, for Wiccans, it lowers them down to two tertiary skills: an offensive, non-support skill (Hexes) and a slightly support skill that's pretty complex (Astrology). What skillset would you propose replace this adequately that allows for supporting your allies?

Looking across multiple games, healers are typically difficult to kill because they can heal themselves, but once you knock them out of their comfort zone, they can no longer do their thing and keep others alive. Did you know killing a healer removes all auras they have placed on others? Also that auras only last for ten minutes? And auras can only be given when the healer is in the same room and same elevation as the target? Kill the healer, remove the auras, move the healer out of their room, reduce their ability to keep alive.

Another thing to note, non-healers can only handle one aura on them, no more than one. And a healer can only radiate five auras.

Also, healing skills (cures) use equilibrium and require balance and equilibrium when not used on yourself. Unless you're an artifact mugwump, your equilibrium regain will likely be 3.5 seconds or higher. Healing auras only cure one affliction on tic, should be noted as well. Farcuring uses even more equilibrium - I think it's 4+ secs for myself as an SD faeling. Either way, a healer is in the danger zone in order to be significantly useful in a situation.

So forgive me, I still fail to see what the issue is given how easy it is to relocate a healer waiting for equilibrium to recover and then to kill them when they're healing/curing another, or a matter of knocking them off equilibrium or balance to load them with afflictions when you're fighting them one-on-one. The result is I see you looking to remove a skillset that allows more pacifist characters to be mildly useful and able to keep themselves alive long enough to get out of a bad situation, and allows for some exquisite RP.
    edited March 2014
    Pointless arguments aside, Malarious is right: Under the current iteration of the overhaul, it will be very hard to give the Healing skillset the semblance of balance, it would simply be far too powerful in any recognizable version. 

Of course, the same holds true for hexes: We have yet to see what an affliction-only skillset (like Hexes and Runes) will look like in a system where there are vastly fewer afflictions, and speed of affliction spam will be even more king than it is today.

Malarious said:
    I kill healers just fine, ask Caerlyr. I have vessels.

If we overhaul though, making most afflictions require getting to certain levels in their tree and healing is left as is, you will never, ever, get a single useful affliction.  And as the intended design of the  overhaul to building into things, this would neuter combat completely.  1 Healing aura on allies could avoid deaths on multiple people simultaneously as well, since last I checked, you can use auras and still use CURE ME normally.

Look past assumptions of calls for nerf. I was not part of that whole bit, I am aiming for a better combat environment when all is said and done.

That's.....cool. Gold star. 

Man stroking aside, I don't care about your ability to kill or not kill a healer. What I said was the overhaul is not an avenue to air your PK problems or skills you want nerfed/changed/removed/whatever. The admin have said this, and it is not constructive for you, nor anyone else, to continue to toss in skills they want to see bite the dust in the process. This is not a mechanics overhaul free for all.

Overhauled healing has not been released for testing, there has not been so much as a peep about what it will be post overhaul, so pre-emptive bitching about how a skillset is going to "neuter combat" is pointless. It has no value. There are many things healing does not currently cure, and based on the factual reality alone, your commentary on the future of healing OPness is not even open for a thoughtful discussion.

• @Celina: Make the note before the problem. If you say nothing, the default assumption is it is fine and it will continue to work the same way. My statement to change healing had nothing to do with pk problems or what I personally want. I have been big picture for some time, it is not a targetted "I do not like this".  Please stop treating it as some kind of cry for nerfs to things that are not liked. I would assume anything we do not say is bad is assumed to be good! It is safer than assuming things will change without feedback.

@Zouviqil: Healers CAN be a working part of the game, but the current system would be terrible for overhaul. If it takes 3-5 attacks to aeon you, then being able to cure that tree for no eq/bal every bal means it will never happen. Aura's, depending on the aff rate for most things, will also neuter any real attempts to have an offense. Things like "the healer has to be in same room, etc" are moot because you assume everyone sees group fights coming in advance, so they would already be up, and 10 minutes is a long time. Moving a healer also does nothing really to auras, and they can farcure if they absolutely must.  No, my goal was not to make it "haha you took healing" I would rather see healing handled differently or replaced with something else that provides the support you aim for.   We can make brick walls, but the only fun is when you help people, but then everyone else is mad a skillset exists purely to avoid allowing regular fights.

As an aside, this overhaul has proven we can get a good discussion and progression going. Just look! Dodging has been improved mechanically to work in the new system. Doing such things to problem skills/classes or mechanics is an excellent plan. The limiting of buffs already means we can have people stop gaining +100% of their normal health!  Heck, I can hit 10K health without being a warrior or using any of the plethora of buffs that would stack on it.  I am just waiting for the bugs to get worked out and the ball to get rolling again, or for an announcement they have a new direction, or something.  As I said, many people have used "but the overhaul is coming" to avoid things like changing systems, coding their own, moving guilds, getting arties, etc.
    Right. This is quite clearly all about "what you want," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you don't want it to come off as agenda driven, I would suggest not using phrases like "removed," "neuter combat," "definition of unneeded," "serves no real purpose," or other alarmist remarks that you simply can't substantiate at this point. The overhaul is fundamentally changing how afflictions work. You're arguing to wildly change a skillet based solely on the assumption that you know how healing will work in a totally new affliction environment. If you want to offer constructive feedback, focus on what exists. Not how you want unreleased things to exist in Malarious world.
  • edited March 2014
    While we're overhauling combat (which I'm hopeful about, despite not having seen all that many specifics thus far), is there any chance that racial weaknesses and resistances with regard to damage types can be looked at?  I was curious the other day, so I worked up a chart, and especially taking into account the relative frequency of various damage types, it doesn't seem particularly balanced. (I just made it for myself, so it's not the MOST readable thing in the world, but resistances are o O @, and weaknesses are x X %.)

F   C   E   C   B   M   P   P   A
            I   O   L   U   L   A   O   S   S
            R   L   E   T   U   G   I   Y   P
            E   D   C   T   N   I   S   C   H
    HUMAN |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
          -------------------------------------
    DWARF | o | o |   | o | o | O | O |   |   |
    ELFEN |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | o |   |
    DRACN | @ | % |   |   |   |   | o | @ |   |
    FAELI |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    FURRI | x | o |   |   |   | @ |   |   |   |
    KROKA |   |   | x | x | O | @ |   |   |   |
    ASLAR | X | o |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    LOBOS | o | o |   |   |   | X | o |   |   |
    MUGWU | X |   | % |   |   |   |   |   | o |
    MERIA | X |   | X |   |   |   |   |   | O |
    ORCLA | % | O | o | O | o | O |   |   |   |
    IGASH | x | o |   | O | O | O | o |   |   |
    TAEDA | X | @ |   | @ | @ | % | @ | O |   |
    TAURI |   |   | O | O |   | x |   |   |   |
    TRILL | x | @ | O |   |   |   |   | O |   |
    VISCA |   |   |   | O | O | O | o |   |   |
    LUCID | X |   | o | o | x | O |   | @ |   |
    KEPHE | x | x |   | @ | @ |   | X | O |   |
    ILLIT |   |   |   |   |   | X | o | O |   |
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
    Synkarin said:
    Yeah, that doesn't happen, there's a limit to how drunk you can make someone. You may have been a bit drunk for 25 mins, but nothing that should really affect actions or cause you to stumble over etc. I've tested this on quite a few people. I can't push myself out of sober as a dwarf brewmeister.

The main point being if you want to complain about certain mechanics, then you should at least know what you're talking about. Making stuff up doesn't help your case. I'm all for a change to alcohol and surrounding mechanics, but I'm not on board to overly nerf it because certain people cry about it more than it deserves.
    Fumble about 20% doesn't affect actions? (Again, this is with the arti, perform sober and at max tolerance after 4 earworts) Sure thing. I'd really hate to see how bad it is for someone who has no tolerance or arti. I'm not going to comment on the other issues I see with Minstrelry because I'd be 'crying' yet again.

edited March 2014

Ileein said:
    While we're overhauling combat (which I'm hopeful about, despite not having seen all that many specifics thus far), is there any chance that racial weaknesses and resistances with regard to damage types can be looked at?  I was curious the other day, so I worked up a chart, and especially taking into account the relative frequency of various damage types, it doesn't seem particularly balanced. (I just made it for myself, so it's not the MOST readable thing in the world, but resistances are o O @, and weaknesses are x X %.)

F   C   E   C   B   M   P   P   A
            I   O   L   U   L   A   O   S   S
            R   L   E   T   U   G   I   Y   P
            E   D   C   T   N   I   S   C   H
    HUMAN |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    DWARF | o | o |   | o | o | O | O |   |   |
    ELFEN |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | o |   |
    DRACN | @ | % |   |   |   |   | o | @ |   |
    FAELI |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    FURRI | x | o |   |   |   | @ |   |   |   |
    KROKA |   |   | x | x | O | @ |   |   |   |
    ASLAR | X | o |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    LOBOS | o | o |   |   |   | X | o |   |   |
    MUGWU | X |   | % |   |   |   |   |   | o |
    MERIA | X |   | X |   |   |   |   |   | O |
    ORCLA | % | O | o | O | o | O |   |   |   |
    IGASH | x | o |   | O | O | O | o |   |   |
    TAEDA | X | @ |   | @ | @ | % | @ | O |   |
    TAURI |   |   | O | O |   | x |   |   |   |
    TRILL | x | @ | O |   |   |   |   | O |   |
    VISCA |   |   |   | O | O | O | o |   |   |
    LUCID | X |   | o | o | x | O |   | @ |   |
    KEPHE | x | x |   | @ | @ |   | X | O |   |
    ILLIT |   |   |   |   |   | X | o | O |   |

I don't think this falls within the scope of the overhaul. There was just a racial rebalancing not that long ago headed by @Shuyin.

I would keep in mind that resistances/weaknesses are also related to stats and things such as eq and balance bonuses. For example, wump stats are mediocre, but their eq bonus is huge. Because of this, they have giant weaknesses to prominent damage types.

Out of curiosity, which races, specifically, do you think are getting the short end of the stick?

• It's less about individual races and more about damage types, personally-- specifically, fire damage is ludicrously common (and is also the damage type for things like Destruction), and ten races are vulnerable to it while three are resistant. Meanwhile, cold has eight resistant and two vulnerable and magic has seven resistant and four vulnerable. Cutting and blunt are fairly disproportionate as well, but I think those are handled differently?

Even if you do it by adding up the levels of vulnerability and resistance, it's pretty imbalanced. Five has five total levels of resistance, three of which are the dracnari alone. It has seventeen levels of vulnerability, split pretty widely, with a lot of level 2s floating around there (plus the poor Orclach, what did they ever do to be so flammable). Cold has thirteen levels of resistance and four levels of vulnerability. Magic has sixteen levels of resistance and eight levels of vulnerability.

So I suppose the point is this: I'm not terribly bothered about any individual race, though that's not to say I think they're all perfectly balanced. What's more important is that the vulnerability-to-resistance ratio is kind of borked between damage types.
  • Also, are you referring to the one at the end of 2010? Announce 1682?
    Ileein said:
    It's less about individual races and more about damage types, personally-- specifically, fire damage is ludicrously common (and is also the damage type for things like Destruction), and ten races are vulnerable to it while three are resistant. Meanwhile, cold has eight resistant and two vulnerable and magic has seven resistant and four vulnerable. Cutting and blunt are fairly disproportionate as well, but I think those are handled differently?

Even if you do it by adding up the levels of vulnerability and resistance, it's pretty imbalanced. Five has five total levels of resistance, three of which are the dracnari alone. It has seventeen levels of vulnerability, split pretty widely, with a lot of level 2s floating around there (plus the poor Orclach, what did they ever do to be so flammable). Cold has thirteen levels of resistance and four levels of vulnerability. Magic has sixteen levels of resistance and eight levels of vulnerability.

So I suppose the point is this: I'm not terribly bothered about any individual race, though that's not to say I think they're all perfectly balanced. What's more important is that the vulnerability-to-resistance ratio is kind of borked between damage types.

Oh I see.

Well it's a complex issue that considers a million different things, but I think the main driving factor is RP/lore, which doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to adjust things as far as the "big picture" goes. It's established that furry things are weak to fire, etc. As a result, racial balance tends to be race by race, rather than balancing damage types across all races.

I think resistances have become more or less pointless with the rise of multiple damage types everyone has access to, and weaknesses have become far more important. Which sucks for the "tanky" races.

I don't know when it was exactly. It was whenever racial speed bonuses were adjusted to 7%, shadowlord faelings got screwed over by the seren mob, and tae'dae balance loss was dropped to make them suck a little less. Maybe it was 2010. If so, I feel SO OLD.