General Impressions on Overhaul

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess

Karlach said:
    Define a bit too much, because numbers mean more than wishy-washy phrases.

Also consider who was hitting you, if you went against someone with similar, or equal offensive DMP, 20-21 int and holding war domoth, while it's likely you were also under sensitivity (usually a given considering anyone who destros tends to macro it in with a beast spit, when there's usually at least two of us sensitivity tends to stick) and omen (a given when fighting most of the time against Mag) you can scale damage quickly.

Destruction at base damage is not as much of an issue as people make it out to be, when I've had that many force multipliers involved I've had the same results using Nightgaze instead. Alright it's a (roughly) 3.7 instead of a 3.2 balance, but people are getting burst down hard because of the stacking of DMP + int scaling + sensitivity + omen means they're going to get hurt. If you think that you shouldn't be damaged down when you're under sensitivity and/or omen then you're not asking for a balanced game.

Side note, I also play Aslaran, I've been a tracker without Nightkiss and taken Kelly's inquidestro combine and survived it. I've had her + Xena bashing me with destro and survived it. I'll be honest I don't think the people with access to Destruction in Celest/Seren/Halli min-max it as effectively, but that's something I can say in general. I've gone over logs and struggled to find any attempts to make sensitivity stick on your damage target, no Ibululu, no hexes. 19-20 int is what I tend to run with, I rarely hit 21, and yet I get people complaining about my damage, I'm not hiding some magic trick as to why I can be a hit so hard, the methodology, buffs and defences have all been listed and not just by me, but by Sidd, Shuyin, Celina (Nightgaze murder yo) Munsia and several others.

Replication to favour damage available to you is not beyond impossible.

As to the other topic racials horrifically skewed to favour fire damage? Yes, but 2/3 of the northern orgs have guilds with access to fire, you have Ascendants with access to fire, and a 10 DMP boost from a bard song is not a make or break to the point that we're having such disparity, without Omen being involved. But when the overhaul does come, I'd like to see fire become less of a key thing, same could be said for Divinus as anything adjusted to racial mechanic will invariably affect bashing too. And Divinus has more target selection in bashing than anything else.

Also buff cold, asphyxiation and blunt target ranges.
    Anything that goes near 25% of my health in direct damage is a bit too much when I'm sitting at 10k hp and with dmp as high as it can really go at that point while maintaining a level of command resistance that's tolerable. Yeah, I still fumble at that point, but eh... whatever, it happens... so I'm sacrificing part of my offense because out of two tk combos, one will not go fully through due to a fumble... and I'm still getting nuked while you've got no malus whatsoever and I'm min-maxing for fire resist, then being told that "Eh... you're not doing enough damage cause you went dracnari and aren't running high enough int" I call bull on that. Destro needs to -not- scale with int, be unblockable damage type so it deals the same to every race and doesn't get extra buffs that everyone doesn't get access to, simple as that. Don't even get me started on the omen thing that again... not everyone has access to, but eh whatever... let's say I'm stupid for going the wrong side of the alliance wars and be done with it.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:

Karlach said:
    Define a bit too much, because numbers mean more than wishy-washy phrases.

Also consider who was hitting you, if you went against someone with similar, or equal offensive DMP, 20-21 int and holding war domoth, while it's likely you were also under sensitivity (usually a given considering anyone who destros tends to macro it in with a beast spit, when there's usually at least two of us sensitivity tends to stick) and omen (a given when fighting most of the time against Mag) you can scale damage quickly.

Destruction at base damage is not as much of an issue as people make it out to be, when I've had that many force multipliers involved I've had the same results using Nightgaze instead. Alright it's a (roughly) 3.7 instead of a 3.2 balance, but people are getting burst down hard because of the stacking of DMP + int scaling + sensitivity + omen means they're going to get hurt. If you think that you shouldn't be damaged down when you're under sensitivity and/or omen then you're not asking for a balanced game.

Side note, I also play Aslaran, I've been a tracker without Nightkiss and taken Kelly's inquidestro combine and survived it. I've had her + Xena bashing me with destro and survived it. I'll be honest I don't think the people with access to Destruction in Celest/Seren/Halli min-max it as effectively, but that's something I can say in general. I've gone over logs and struggled to find any attempts to make sensitivity stick on your damage target, no Ibululu, no hexes. 19-20 int is what I tend to run with, I rarely hit 21, and yet I get people complaining about my damage, I'm not hiding some magic trick as to why I can be a hit so hard, the methodology, buffs and defences have all been listed and not just by me, but by Sidd, Shuyin, Celina (Nightgaze murder yo) Munsia and several others.

Replication to favour damage available to you is not beyond impossible.

As to the other topic racials horrifically skewed to favour fire damage? Yes, but 2/3 of the northern orgs have guilds with access to fire, you have Ascendants with access to fire, and a 10 DMP boost from a bard song is not a make or break to the point that we're having such disparity, without Omen being involved. But when the overhaul does come, I'd like to see fire become less of a key thing, same could be said for Divinus as anything adjusted to racial mechanic will invariably affect bashing too. And Divinus has more target selection in bashing than anything else.

Also buff cold, asphyxiation and blunt target ranges.
    Anything that goes near 25% of my health in direct damage is a bit too much when I'm sitting at 10k hp and with dmp as high as it can really go at that point while maintaining a level of command resistance that's tolerable. Yeah, I still fumble at that point, but eh... whatever, it happens... so I'm sacrificing part of my offense because out of two tk combos, one will not go fully through due to a fumble... and I'm still getting nuked while you've got no malus whatsoever and I'm min-maxing for fire resist, then being told that "Eh... you're not doing enough damage cause you went dracnari and aren't running high enough int" I call bull on that. Destro needs to -not- scale with int, be unblockable damage type so it deals the same to every race and doesn't get extra buffs that everyone doesn't get access to, simple as that. Don't even get me started on the omen thing that again... not everyone has access to, but eh whatever... let's say I'm stupid for going the wrong side of the alliance wars and be done with it.
    Logs

You have a habit of making claims that you can't back up. I'd like to see a log of a 2.5k destro combo without sensitivity/omen on you. If you aren't willing to provide those logs then stop making these claims, because I've personally witnessed you tank both Morkarion and Me destroing you without a problem. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Technically Destruction is using pure domoth energies, it should be 100% Divinus if not fire.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I think that they wanted a "novel" attack for Ascendants, an ability that didn't just fit right into the regular mold of int + eq (because let's face it, that's most attacks).  I guess they wanted it to be something that both warriors (with balance bonus) and casters could pick up.

The real problem comes in when one of the warrior races also has decent int, along with the balance bonus, and without significant penalties (no, I do not consider Aslaran penalties significant).  They have good constitution, they are a solid race, and they seem built for Destruction "abuse" when min-maxed.

I don't really mind standardizing the attack out so it is more consistent.  It would help balance things for warriors who are not really min-maxing, and make it easier to tweak / balance.  I don't mind seeing it in PvP but for some reason it really does kind of make me shake my head a bit when I'm seeing warriors forsake their entire main skillset to throw around balls of fire.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Karlach said:
    Technically Destruction is using pure domoth energies, it should be 100% Divinus if not fire.
    Divinus did not exist when the ability was created.  Given the outcry against Divinus over the last few years, I am dubious that they would really be willing to change it to that.  It would be even less balanced than fire. :p
    It also says a lot about the state of said skillset when it's more effective in groups to just simply nuke someone's face off using a bashing attack instead.

But yes, Aslaran master race does need some tuning come the overhaul, personally I'd overhaul races entirely during the overhaul, maybe we'll see people pick the race they want to be, rather than the race they have to play.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Also you're never going to make it both unblockable and not scale with int. One or the other, let's stick with realism and not wish fulfilment here.

Synkarin said:
    Logs

You have a habit of making claims that you can't back up. I'd like to see a log of a 2.5k destro combo without sensitivity/omen on you. If you aren't willing to provide those logs then stop making these claims, because I've personally witnessed you tank both Morkarion and Me destroing you without a problem. 
    Fine, I'll make sure to log specifically for you next time there's a fight. I normally don't log anything due to the fact that I review stuff after in my scrollback which I find easier to do than looking at a plain text file in some editor.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Elanorwen said:
    Synkarin said:
    Logs

Fine, I'll make sure to log specifically for you next time there's a fight. I normally don't log anything due to the fact that I review stuff after in my scrollback which I find easier to do than looking at a plain text file in some editor.
    If you're using mudlet, you can highlight, rightclick, and copy as html.   Then in your text editor save it as '<whatever>.html' and you'll get html logs. I just save it in notepad and it works fine.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited April 2014
    I don't know if this helps at all, but this is what Karlach destro does to me from the very recent fight. I'm playing with a level 2 fire malus and I have 75 fire dmp (41% reduction). I forgot kirigami and biofeedback fire in the fight, too.

Karlach shapes liquid globes of power from the air and hurls them at you. You scream in agony as
    they splash across your skin and it blackens and burns away.
    Thin tendrils of shadow reach out from Karlach to rake across your skin.
    2286h, 4733m, 5990e, 10p, 18620en, 21210w BesSilrkbp-(-1542h, 30.4%)

EDIT: I was actually under an Omen from Thoros, so adjust accordingly.

That's currently at 18 intellect (curse you full moon), and my beast had run out of Ibululu.

Maligorn said:
    I don't know if this helps at all, but this is what Karlach destro does to me from the very recent fight. I'm playing with a level 2 fire malus and I have 75 fire dmp (41% reduction). I forgot kirigami and biofeedback fire in the fight, too.

Karlach shapes liquid globes of power from the air and hurls them at you. You scream in agony as
    they splash across your skin and it blackens and burns away.
    Thin tendrils of shadow reach out from Karlach to rake across your skin.
    2286h, 4733m, 5990e, 10p, 18620en, 21210w BesSilrkbp-(-1542h, 30.4%)

EDIT: I was actually under an Omen from Thoros, so adjust accordingly.

Omen is a 66% increase IIRC.  I'm not sure what buffs Mork has this fight, I'd imagine he's not maxed out, but 1542 under omen is a far cry from 2.5k without it

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    No darkbeer this round, no karma war and no Havoc cry. That was me pretty much logging on to check something and finding there's a fight going on.

• 1.5k destroy under omen? weak.
  • You take a drink of a potion of mana from a glowing turquoise vial.
    Your mind feels stronger and more alert.
    12082h, 8582m, 7182e, 3p, 24900en, 28614w lrxkdb<>- (*BHSPFA) {15.7666} +1515
    darkchant ectoplasm

Xena takes some salve from a vial and rubs it on her legs.
    12082h, 8582m, 7182e, 3p, 24900en, 28614w lrxkdb<>- (*BHSPFA) {15.9167}

Kelly shapes liquid globes of power from the air and hurls them at you. You scream in agony as they splash across your skin and it blackens and burns away.
    Your vision darkens as the power of the unholy water within you strikes back at Kelly.sip unholywater
    10322h, 8582m, 7182e, 3p, 24900en, 28614w lrxkdb<>- (*BHSPFA) {16.0906} -1760

Rocking lvl 3 fire malus, 73 fire dmp (40% resist)

• 14.56%, not sure what Kelly's int is or if she has magic damage arties or not.

• Hrm my max health wasn't 12k sorry, it was 7882.

22.32% Sounds about right. But still, in a 1 on 1 situation, I don't think that's going to even phase me in the least.

• Haha destruction doesn't even compare to electric staff so why is everyone complaining?

7882h, 8444m, 6804e, 5p, 24900en, 28613w lrxkb<>- (XBHSPF*) {76.3104}

A bolt of blue lightning flashes in from the north and slams into you in an explosion of cobalt sparks.
    5543h, 8444m, 6804e, 5p, 24900en, 28613w lrxkb<>- (XBHSPF*) {76.3174} -2339

Ha, that was with Ibululu actually, unless it just stripped TD.

Maligorn's health stands at 3828/5068.        ||||||||||||||||||||||-------- 75% health
    Maligorn's mana stands at 4733/5659.
    Mana: 83.636684926665%          ||||||||||||||||||||||||------ 83% mana
    Maligorn's ego stands at 5990/5990.           |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100% ego
    Maligorn's power stands at 10/10.             |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100% power
    11755h, 4350m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:87% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][exlr]-(-250m, 4.7%) 
    With a loud hiss, a monstrous wyvern with bat wings spits a stream of foul liquid into the face of 
    Maligorn.
    With your keen eye, you notice that ibululu from a monstrous wyvern with bat wings has poisoned 
    Maligorn.
    You use 200 of your divine essence.
    You shape liquid globes of power from the air and hurl them at Maligorn. He screams in agony as they 
    splash across his burning skin and hungrily devour it.
    Thin tendrils of shadow reach out from you to rake across the skin of Maligorn as the nightsweats 
    well from within.

11755h, 4350m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:87% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][elr]-(sip nightsweats)
    Maligorn looks around for someone to nuzzle.         <<< D'awwwwwwwwwwww

11755h, 3973m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][elr]-
    Thoros raises a bloody symbol of pain towards Maligorn, and a gout of black fire slams into his 
    chest.

11755h, 4662m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][elr]-
    Maligorn looks around for someone to nuzzle. << Seriously, not the time man.

Idrazil gives Maligorn the once over.
    Idrazil carefully wipes all the poisons off of a fossilised root bardiche jingling with bone chimes.
    Idrazil whips a fossilised root bardiche jingling with bone chimes through the air in front of 
    Maligorn, to no effect.
     [------ Maligorn has no shield! ------]
     [------ Maligorn has no shield! ------]
    Cleaving through his defenses, Idrazil makes a slow, deadly strike at Maligorn's chest with a 
    fossilised root bardiche jingling with bone chimes. Idrazil stumbles forward as he fails to connect.
    Tiny silver spheres skim around Idrazil, slowing time as he enters Maligorn's dynomatic cloud.
    Energy sizzles through Maligorn's electromagnetic cloud as arcs of power slam into Idrazil.
    Maligorn's static field discharges with a blinding flash as Idrazil approaches.
    With a thunderous crack, the static around Idrazil, riding a blackish-green rage worg with ghostly 
    wings of dust and ash, ignites in a spray of blue-white linging, flinging him away to the northeast.

11755h, 4662m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][exlr]-
    The damage enhancement power of a carnelian tulip of blushing ruby is already active.
    11755h, 4662m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][exlr]-
    You stare deep into Maligorn's soul and discern that:
    Maligorn's health stands at 955/5068.         |||||------------------------- 18% health
    Maligorn's mana stands at 4688/5659.
    Mana: 82.841491429581%          ||||||||||||||||||||||||------ 82% mana
    Maligorn's ego stands at 5990/5990.           |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100% ego
    Maligorn's power stands at 10/10.             |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100% power
    11755h, 4412m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][exlr]-(-250m, 4.7%) 
    You must wait before you can order your beast again.
    11755h, 4412m, 6894e, EN:99%, WP:86% [P:10][T:MALIGORN][k][exlr]-
    You use 200 of your divine essence.
    You shape liquid globes of power from the air and hurl them at Maligorn. He screams in agony as they 
    splash across his burning skin and hungrily devour it.
    As Maligorn's soul flutters away from his body, you reach out and grasp ahold of it, its ethereal 
    form suddenly wracked with spasms.
    92 wailing spirits manifest within your aura of death before the captured soul escapes.
    Maligorn is burned to a crisp by the globes of power, dropping his charred corpse to the ground.
    You have slain Maligorn.

That should be all the relevant bits.

• 29.67% of my health. Nerf Elanorwen.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Xenthos said:
    I think that they wanted a "novel" attack for Ascendants, an ability that didn't just fit right into the regular mold of int + eq (because let's face it, that's most attacks).  I guess they wanted it to be something that both warriors (with balance bonus) and casters could pick up.

The real problem comes in when one of the warrior races also has decent int, along with the balance bonus, and without significant penalties (no, I do not consider Aslaran penalties significant).  They have good constitution, they are a solid race, and they seem built for Destruction "abuse" when min-maxed.

I don't really mind standardizing the attack out so it is more consistent.  It would help balance things for warriors who are not really min-maxing, and make it easier to tweak / balance.  I don't mind seeing it in PvP but for some reason it really does kind of make me shake my head a bit when I'm seeing warriors forsake their entire main skillset to throw around balls of fire.

This. I'm okay with the damage formula. There are more dangerous things out there.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

That and I don't think it says anything about Knighthood and the specs just because people opt to damage spam to victory. Group hackdown was just as ridiculous (if not more so) until it was nerfed. Knights still have some of the best hinders in the game and get them very easily. Knights are one of the few that can wear the really tanky people down over time.

If we're being honest, knights spam destruction because they rack up more kills that way. Not because it's "more effective." Getting the last hit in isn't the same as being effective, and we all know we all want the deathsight. FILTHY TOAD THIEVES.

Sometimes I drained mana, sometimes I damage bombed. It depended on the situation. It wasn't really reflective of the state of SD skills because I nuked instead of drained on some opponents.

edited April 2014
    Thoros said:
    29.67% of my health. Nerf Elanorwen.
    Aren't you a wump? I do 100% electricity more often than not. I do swap it around for cold at times to keep people on their toes... but that was with 21 int (Which is usually where I max out at... plus, after that point, you're getting diminishing returns anyway), curio, tattoo, kirigami, war, T1 magic rune, aero champ arti, hex/pentangle. I'm trying to think if there's any other buffs I might be forgetting here, but I don't think so.

EDIT: As a comparison, you are running a race that has a level three weakness against my attack... while I normally run a race that has a level three resistance against the main attack that bothers me on your side of the alliance - Destro

When the standard go-to these days is straight up damage killing, there's plenty of other hinder being provided and your options are to contribute to what everyone else is doing, or spamming hackdown and hoping the RNG gods like you more than your target's health pool likes them, it's kinda daft to not go with damage.

To be fair, if I didn't have Destro I'd just use Nightgaze right now, .5 second slower for repeat application but higher burst.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    To find out what's wrong with Destruction, you need to look no further than Inquisition.

A report went up to help Paladins get kills with Inquisition, one of the suggestions was to lower all stances and parries when Inqui'd (pretty sure that got approved?).

Not once, have I ever died to that. I have died countless times to Destruction/Inquisition, in fact, I have no chance of surviving it, even if I am as tanky as I can get.

Destruction is a lot better than some of you arguing it to be. If it weren't as good as it was, then Kelly(fill in Celestian) would have a strategy outside of Inqui/Destro. Some classes just shouldn't be given a skill like Destro.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    To be fair, that's not Destro, that's Kelly using a bashing attack on a target that's under a long stun with no defences and thus cannot cure.

Silvanus said:
    To find out what's wrong with Destruction, you need to look no further than Inquisition.

A report went up to help Paladins get kills with Inquisition, one of the suggestions was to lower all stances and parries when Inqui'd (pretty sure that got approved?).

Not once, have I ever died to that. I have died countless times to Destruction/Inquisition, in fact, I have no chance of surviving it, even if I am as tanky as I can get.

Destruction is a lot better than some of you arguing it to be. If it weren't as good as it was, then Kelly(fill in Celestian) would have a strategy outside of Inqui/Destro. Some classes just shouldn't be given a skill like Destro.

Right, I've tanked Kelly using inqui/destro on me several times. Kelly using destruction is the same as any Celestine using their divinus damage attack. They can execute the exact same strategy, much to the same effect. Kelly just uses destruction because she doesn't have another option. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Again, you are not seeing the point.

A Celestine class can do that. A caster type class that has a very easy way to stop them from doing it (kill their angel, they'll run). It's also a lot easier to escape a Celestine than a Warrior.

A Warrior shouldn't have access to that damage output, nor would they, if they would be using their actual skills from Knighthood, the thing that was actually Envoyed for, instead of using a high damaging output attack.

What I see are just two people who have relied on min/maxxing for too long and haven't seen the other side and don't want to lose their toys. Destro isn't a fair option, nor has it ever been. But I will gladly abuse it if I get Vernal, because high damage output is the way things have been forever, and Destro sits at the top of it's class.

And before someone brings up, BUT MAGES DO MORE!

Well no shit sherlock. That is the only thing they have going for them. TK doesn't kill (unless you bleed them out), TP sure as hell doesn't kill. You might get a lucky DeathProphesy with Runes, but all they have going for them is damage.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Ah, 

So you're really just complaining that Kelly does destro/inquisiton like a Celestine does. Along the same lines as Celina. Heaven forbid someone point out that it's a common tactic anyway.

Here's what I see, People complaining about an attack that's really on par with other damage attacks (my chaoschord does just a little bit less because I can't take advantage of the 100% damage type like I can with destruction), for no real good reason other than 'BUT THEY'RE WARRIORS.'  I always felt that Kelly went the inquisition route because it was easier and faster than trying to build wounds (unless I forget my robes). You're really just jumping on board the crying train. I get it.

I won't lose out on much if destruction goes away, or has the typing changed. I'll still be able to throw down good amounts of damage (my Charisma as a dwarf brewmeister sits pretty at 20-22), I'll just be using the split damage type rather than the single damage type. I really just hate broad claims that aren't really back up by anything other than bunched up panties.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Obligatory "The hell that's all mages have going for them. Be a druid."

With the overhaul, buff stacking should be less of a problem, I hope.