General Impressions on Overhaul

Comments

• Don't nerf destruction. I'm still waiting for the day I get TA and can spam it.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Lerad said:
    Don't nerf destruction. I'm still waiting for the day I get TA and can spam it.
    Leradyn.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Siam said:
    Lerad said:
    Leradyn.
    Lyradin
    Zouviqil said:
    Siam said:
    Lerad said:
    Leradyn.
    Lyradin
    Lyradinlach.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:
    Zouviqil said:
    Siam said:
    Lerad said:
    Leradyn.
    Lyradin
    Lyradinlach.
    Lyradinlachmarael.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • If I got TA I'd be..Thain. THAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Thayin!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

NIGHTYIN

His motto can be "Nighty-night."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Isn't this a bit far afield of the whole overhaul discussion? Not the names, which are awesome, but destro-nerf 2014? Not trying to play forum police, but the last however many pages have zip to do with new combat system.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Well considering there is no current information about the overhaul, everything would be off topic.

• Read the latest Announce post!

And for those (like me) who are curious, here it is:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2324
    Date: 4/9/2014 at 16:11
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Overhaul Updates

I've just pushed live a large Overhaul-related update. Have fun!

Oh, you wanted details? Well, fine, here they are:

- Music has been rewritten from the ground up. Functionality is largely
    the same as before, with the main impetus here being to clean up the
    code and make future changes simpler, but a few syntaxes are different
    (notably for composition - the root verb is now COMPOSITION instead of
    COMPOSE, amongst a few other things - see the relevant AB files for
    info), and some abilities had their effects changed (slightly, for the
    most part).

- Wildarrane and Shadowbeat have been overhauled, with shells Taenkak
    and Glossidess possessing the skills.

- Pending updates to a number of other systems, there are a handful of
    abilities that are either not implemented, or are partially implemented.
    In most cases, these are either due to reliance on movement, some types
    of maluses (e.g. vitals draining), passives that possibly provide
    multiple levels of buffs (e.g. with Loralaria gems), or are dependent on
    other skills being overhauled.

---

Following this, as hinted above, I will be doing an audit/update of all
    overhaul-related code, with goals including code simplification/cleanup,

bugfixing, consistency, enhancements, and fleshing out those abilities
    that aren't fully implemented. Following that, I will be moving on to
    overhauling some general systems, such as movement (because I am
    insane). Once that is done, other skills will be on the chopping block,
    as it were.

• The COMPOSE ->COMPOSITION change is good. Can we get a similar PERFORM->PLAY change for all the non-dramatics abilities that use PERFORM currently?
    Thank you for implementing the Periodic, Active, Passive notes in the AB files, @Ieptix.

#bringShikariback 

• edited April 2014
    Iytha said:
    The COMPOSE ->COMPOSITION change is good. Can we get a similar PERFORM->PLAY change for all the non-dramatics abilities that use PERFORM currently?
    For the music specs, I can probably come up with a different command for starting songs, though it won't be PLAY, since then I'm just overloading a different verb. Anything else using the PERFORM command will be decided as they come up in the overhaul.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Do these new changes mean progress will be more rapid? I didn't know we were recoding the overhaul, thought the overhaul WAS a recoding!

You are truly a masochist Ieptix XD

As an aside, the concerns we've given are all still there, but we released two new shells. So this announce didn't change anything on our end that I can tell other than new verbs. Again though, this might mean rapid development and shiny things!
  • Having all the bard classes out is a good start. Overhauling the overhaul is a great thing to do, too. If the bugs get fixed and playerbase testing gets under way, there'll be more things to discuss and improve on, eventually.

• As of yesterday, Achaea unveiled its server-side curing, making 3/5 IRE games with this feature. Will Lusternia join this trend, and if so, would it be possible be included in the overhaul?

• Lusternia has had server-side curing for a while! AB DISCERNMENT FIRSTAID

Correction then, effective, system emulating server side curing.
  • Firstaid actually works well enough. It's not optimal, and it's hardly supposed to be. There's more work to be done on it, obviously, there was a thread some time ago that discussed possible additions and suggestions, but it got put aside, obviously, for the overhaul.

Making the lusternian system actually handle affliction curing outside of the arena would be something we'd want to do after the overhaul, I'd say.

• If the server-side curing were ever to become as effective (or more effective, given the removal of latency issues) as client-side systems, I think many people would leave the game to find new challenges.

I think you are over-reacting somewhat to this; I feel more people would join than leave, simply due to no longer requiring the purchase of a third-party package.  Especially if (as done with the others) some latency is left in so as to ensure that it does not become the be-all end-all option, leaving those who want to invest the time and energy with the ability to still outperform (especially since they can adjust priorities and make fixes on the fly).

Really, to me it would be even better if the automated curing was implemented and then the algorithm used was published so that anyone interested can review it / lift it / repurpose and tweak it as desired on a client-side system to make it personalized for one's own needs.  There will always be room for improvement, no server-side-curing option will ever be updated or maintained like the client programs are.
  • It's not an over-reaction, except perhaps the use of "many." It's just my biased opinion.

It's always seemed to me that there are far too many unintended side effects from the interaction of afflictions, abilities, etc, and the coders simply cannot feasibly test all scenarios or even know them as well as the top combatants do. This is part of what makes curing and surviving so complicated: the near-infinite combinations. Any effective algorithm that would be developed and published would likely be useless to a majority of players, though undoubtedly interesting.

edited April 2014
    Just like many people have left the other three IRE games, Iasmos?  I won't bore you with links to the Imperian forums with the same talking points that you have, but they're there.  And, last I checked, their population is about as healthy as ours, no one's crying about combat being dumbed down (at least, they're a very small minority), etc.  For folks that aren't capable of coding a system, having curing built into the game isn't a terrible thing.  And, much like Garrynbot has been set up to not cure perfectly, I imagine any autocuring implemented in Lusternia would be similar.

Would I swap to automated curing if it came out tomorrow?  Nope.  I like m&m and the plethora of information and options that it makes available to me.  But for Shadowdancer midbie #276, who wants to get involved in domoths/revolts/brawls up on Faethorn but doesn't have the in-game or real life cash to drop on m&m?  I'd be just fine with them getting to roll with a good baseline curing system.  As much as I <3 Tulemrah for putting medic out there, that just doesn't really cut it beyond keeping you alive while bashing.
  • That's a fair argument.

With what part of my previous post do you disagree, @Xenthos?

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Treant probably did more to keep players around rather than driving them away. It was certainly a huge factor in getting me back into Lusternia when I likely would have just quit otherwise.

I imagine server curing would have the same effect so long as it isn't the end all be all of curing.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • If Medic hadn't been available here, I woulda either coded something similar myself and released it or (if I cba to do so) stopped playing.