General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Luce said:

Or that you're bleeding profusely from the upper arm.

Who isn't?
  • I would've gone with the armband, excepting Michael Jackson ruined that style long ago...

And the NAZI's.
    </RANT>
  • Delphas said:

C'MON, PEOPLE! Is this really so hard to do? Why must every file you touch have 28 different indentation depths?

The correct answer is 'insert spaces' though :P Tabs can vary in size, and can become misaligned if you edit with one thing, and then open on another (especially if its on a different OS, I've found), while spaces always look nice.
  • Unless it's not a unispace font, where the spaces account for exactly as much distance as any letter. In non-unispace fonts, though, while the leading indentations would be uniform, mid-work alignments would be much less likely to succeed.
  • Who the heck codes in a non-unispace font? Heresy! Why, back in my days we used a DOS-based editor in order to write my code. Young whippersnappers with their newfangled variable-width fonts.
  • TAB's are always exactly one character in storage (such as disc) regardless of character set (7-bit Ascii and 32-bit unicode all define the TAB).  It is the responsibility of your editor to display them according to your defined TAB stops.  For example, the Javascript team in my shop prefers 2-column indentation, so they set Glade and Visual Stupido for 2-column TAB stops.  My wife (we work at the same office) seems to have configured notepad++ for 3-column TAB stops.  Since this is purely display, she can open a JS file and see nice 3-column stops, and other team members can open her python or C# files and see nice 2-column stops.  Me? I guess I'm the odd one, because I prefer 4-column stops, but if the front-end team were to open any of my C# or Sql files? Eh-yup, they'd see 2-column stops.  Why? Because we Keep Tabs.  Those ``Holy Wars'' about how one person thinks another person should format their code were all solved back in the late '80's with the advent of ``fancy'' editors.  We can each format our code any way we like, because Visual Stupido and Glade will happily display my files exactly how you prefer.  Genius, eh?

Pity it's 2015 and I still need to explain that to some people who actually get paid for programming when they should be arrested for loitering.
    </RANT>
  • Changing the size of the tab only keeps it looking good if the only tabs are at the start of the line. If you have comments lined up at the end of lines, or if ([condition]) [action] all on one line, and have it lined up so that conditions are vertically aligned and/or the actions are vertically aligned, and you use tabs to do it, it'll look like garbage if you change the tab width, and would not if you used spaces. 
  • That was a complete waste of my time... I drove into the city for work only to find out the rostering staff screwed up and rostered me for yesterday instead of today, plus to top it off, when I did not show up, rather than call me up to find out what was going on, they just went and stuck a "no-call-no-show" mark on my record.  Needless to say I was PEEVED when I got to work this afternoon and found out.  Told them that I have not rostered on saturdays for the past 2 years, why would I start now?

I'm still getting paid 2 and a half hours thankfully and the NCNS mark has been removed, but it's still a hefty loss of hours from what my usual shift would be.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Remembering the loss of a child, a best friend and realising my Nan is about to die all in one day. Reminds me how hectic someone's life can be even though they are sitting behind a screen playing a game. 
  • edited March 2015
    :/ Micromanaging ****** ...... persnickety people who use any bloody mistake, no matter how small, I make to say "see! See! You're utterly wrong! You're a failure! Do it my way, for my way is the path back to salvation".

There's a difference between a 'perfectionist' and "an asshole". Up yours sister. Up yours!

If I smile at you, it does not mean I've forgotten I've the depths of my intense contempt for you. 
    is dead like the dodo
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I hate prednisone. My lungs are doing better than on Monday, but I haven't slept properly all week, and my stomach can't keep up with my dietary choices without being able to take pepto along with it.
  • Got a hair cut.. About 12 inches maybe. Remembered why I haven't had short hair in over ten years.. Curly Que was not one of my favored names.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • I thought the snow was done for the year.

I was wrong.

8-|
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I got snow and yet again the wife suggested I get a haircut.  There's noting I can do about the snow now...

Of course she hasn't washed a dish in 5 days even though I cooked for each of the last 6...
    </RANT>
  • Shipped my laptop back to Asus for repair today.  Damn that was expensive.  I could have driven it there cheaper.

Stangmar - Retired

• edited March 2015
    Look sister - ROT IN HELL. 

I'm effing certain you micromanage to justify your need to control -everything-
    is dead like the dodo
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    After five years of constantly dropping the thing, I finally broke my phone.  :-<
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • My keyboard died mid-rp. i did 2/3 of it, and this post, with the Windows on screen keyboard. My mouse hand hurts.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Had a case of... "Welcome, Spring" yesterday. Today it's freaking snowing and already more than 2 inches of cover. :((

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Altrea said:

My keyboard died mid-rp. i did 2/3 of it, and this post, with the Windows on screen keyboard. My mouse hand hurts.

I've been there. Once, while trying to rig my phone up in the absence of a working keyboard, I got Mysrai'd.

...the phone thing didn't work. So much frantic clicking to try and save face.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    This couple's renovation budget is more than the entire cost of a house I'm eyeing. Why do I ever watch HGTV?  :((
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:

This couple's renovation budget is more than the entire cost of a house I'm eyeing. Why do I ever watch HGTV?  :((

Because you like watching people in their later years that have tons of money to renovate their homes?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I am sooooooooooooo over my stupid laggy internet. Constant lag spikes and disconnects not only in Lusternia but in anything I try to do (woe LoL). Seeking a technologically advanced country to fix our ridiculously slow set up.

• Lavinya said:

I am sooooooooooooo over my stupid laggy internet. Constant lag spikes and disconnects not only in Lusternia but in anything I try to do (woe LoL). Seeking a technologically advanced country to fix our ridiculously slow set up.

You need to call Courtney, over in Perth, and tell her to stop unplugging the 2400 Baud MoDem; it's the US-AU link.
    </RANT>
  • Eritheyl said:

Altrea said:

My keyboard died mid-rp. i did 2/3 of it, and this post, with the Windows on screen keyboard. My mouse hand hurts.

I've been there. Once, while trying to rig my phone up in the absence of a working keyboard, I got Mysrai'd.

...the phone thing didn't work. So much frantic clicking to try and save face.
    aaaaand stuff like this is why I keep a cheap $10 USB keyboard tucked away in case of emergency these days...  Murphy's law tends to kick in at the worst possible times, so it is handy to give him a bit of a kick in the [REDACTED] by having a backup.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Typing this one from my phone. I am currently sitting in a Sam's Club parking lot, unable to return home for another four hours, covered in liquid dog crap. I really don't know how to react to this one. I kind of want to cry, but I can't stop laughing. Good start to my day.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Here I was going to whinge about my every two month or so depression phase kicking in on my birthday. But you made me laugh Altrea. Thank you so much for that, I needed it.

Is there a funny story behind this event, at least?
  • @Tarkenton I wish there was. One second, there was no crap. The next, there was brown, viscous liquid with a stench that couldn't come from anything of this world splattered across my lap. My pug then gave me a 'did I do good?' look as I sat here in shock until the smell hit me.

Glad this cheered you up a bit though.
  • Lavinya said:

Come2GlomSweden?