General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Well. I may be suffering from confirmation bias but I've got nothing better to do since sleep is out. So. We can utilize actual evidence to check this out and take an honest look at the times. Let's start from now and work backwards through the cycle. Obviously, this one's at 3am Saturday, EST. You can see exactly how many of us were online for that. 

Last Revolt: Hemp Wars at 9GMT, which is...  5AM EST, and 2am PAC.  on Nov25, Friday. Hm. 

Prior: Aetherflares at 930GMT, which is 530am EST and 230 PAC on Thanksgiving, Nov24. Thursday.

Prior: Orc-Furrikin Wars at 4GMT, which is midnight EST and 9pm PAC, Nov 18. Friday! Surprisingly, seems that most people do things during this time. I'll call it a wash, any other day and this one could have been spicy.

Prior: Flares at 13GMT, which is 9am EST and 6am PAC, on Nov 12, Saturday morning. Probably just the drunk in me complaining about this one. Seems pretty early.

Prior: Grey-Moors at 21GMT which is 5pm EST and 2pm PAC on Nov 10, a Thursday. Most people are at work during this time.

Prior: Rickenfriez at 21GMT on Nov 2, a Wednesday. Still working.

Prior: Flares at 23GMT, 7pm EST and 4pm PAC on Oct 31, a Monday. Also American Evening-based Holiday of Halloween. Mag at least comes alive right about this time normally, but due to the holiday I'm surprised we snagged this one.

Prior: Dairuchi at 21GMT again.  Oct 26. Wednesday. Work!

Prior: Flares at 21GMT.. again? Geez. Oct 18. Tuesday! Work!

Prior: Last Mountain Wars at 3GMT, Oct 18, which is Midnight EST and 9pm PAC on a Monday. That's pretty spot on timing, actually, I remember this one. We had a good showing but got a bit caught up in actually taking a village for the first time in ages and neglected our Allies. I tried to spin this one as Mag-RP like they couldn't do it without us! Heh.

So there we go, every revolt in the last cycle. If I borked the times let me know, but I'm personally seeing a distinct bend that's highly unfavorable to most US players. I understand that it's a cycle and it'll eventually roll around and probably favour the US for a while as Oceana rages, but looking at this It's farcical to claim that it's just 'the last revolt.' 
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    This really isn't the first time revolts have favoured an 8am - 3pm GMT window, with some wiggle room either side.

Short of the RNG element of the code making an error and constantly getting similar results, it really is just a bad luck streak.

Ultimately the solution is (assuming no glitches) to just deal with it, and hope RNGesus smooths out over time.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited December 2016
    I dunno if you've studied statistics but in the thousands of times that revolts have happened they will have achieved normality. While it's possible any section can look very biased, and that can occur, the whole itself does not have bias. If you want to collect every single event for the next 100-300 events I am sure we can do some diagnostics. 

Also, timing itself is going to be unfortunate for someone somewhere.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Oh no I agree completely. I'm just defending my rant about the recent spate of ill-timed revolts for my timezone, nothing more.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • Also, events usually favour American times, so I don't know why revolts being in the GMT time scale right now is a problem :( Always missing events, because I've *just* gone to bed or I'm already sleeping. And unfortunately, I need my sleep to be a functioning human-being the next day.
  • I'm an American player (with a non-standard schedule due to the nature of my job) and was around for exactly one of those events (The Acknor-Estelbar revolt) IIRC. That one had good competition, and we could've easily lost Acknor if Celest didn't have village feelings there as we were losing ground.

Anyway, I think there's two issues being wrapped together here. One, not being able to personally participate. This is annoying, as it's a game and revolts can be one of the most fun competitive events. Two, your org/alliance not having enough people during these times to realistically compete. This is compounded by problem one, as it feels like you're not being able to help your org. It's definitely frustrating.

Right now there's an interesting situation where southern orgs have their population advantage during US peak times, and northern orgs otherwise have the advantage. This creates the lopsided that occur, but there's really no fixing it without an overhaul of how the events work. I think this could potentially be done, but we also need to keep in mind the needs of Lusternia's non-American players.
  • Shedrin said:
    Right now there's an interesting situation where southern orgs have their population advantage during US peak times, and northern orgs otherwise have the advantage. This creates the lopsided that occur, but there's really no fixing it without an overhaul of how the events work. I think this could potentially be done, but we also need to keep in mind the needs of Lusternia's non-American players.

Just curious, has this always been the case? The correlation between alliance membership and time zones, that is. It's unfortunate that it happens, but it's easy to see why it does.

That Acknor-Estelbar revolt was a lot of fun. This one - not so much, so I understand @Rideta's frustration. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I don't think so, re: timezones and alliances. The alliances have varied in the past somewhat, though usually a single agreed-upon alliance lasts over the span of a year or more.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited December 2016
    Its a numbers issue the south is super quiet basically most times but the american peak times.

During american peak times you tend to get a fair balanced revolt going on. I mean look at the raid numbers last night for an example pretty balanced number wise and that was the Souths peak time to play.

The north is quieter during american off peak but it has a large concentration of Asian time zone players so it can challenge villages with overwhelming numbers during off peak and challenge with decent numbers on peak.

Basically just expect the North to win most of the random events due to the nature of randomness and spread unless the South gets more players I guess.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    There was a time when Mag had a lot of Oceania players and we dominated the "off peak" times. Now there seems to be more about in halli and seren during those times. 

• Swings an roundabouts I guess.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    My graphics card bit the dust. On-board graphics work, thank goodness, so I can use my computer, but the display is riddled with artifacts. This couldn't have picked a worst time to happen. It will be a while until I'm able to replace it, barring some stroke of luck. :disappointed:
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Hello insomnia my old friend..

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited December 2016
  • edited December 2016
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Breandryn That has nothing at all to do with 'mental health issues', but I think you know that.. Drugs alone are quite the problem in itself (and coke's nothing to joke about with :/ ). Not only is your boyfriend throwing away his life ( I had a coke addict in my looser circle of friends ), he is, according to your statement, threatening yours. You've got every right to be 'not cool' about this and honestly, if your partner tells you she's terrified to leave the rooms she's in because of what you're doing... maybe something to heed :-(. Stay safe, brea!
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited December 2016
  • Breandryn said:
    No, it's not addiction, they are just doing it for fun. I just am having trouble accepting it. That's on me.

It's not on you. Their choice of fun is not your problem. Your health is your problem. The fact he brought up your mental health, is in a fact, mental abuse. That was very manipulative behaviour. 

I think I would call the police, if they come there again. Tell him it's your way or the high way. Imagine if you throw him out? You won't have to worry about his friends coming around anymore, you can live happily and healthily. You can move on. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
  • edited December 2016
  • Breandryn said:
    Nobody is laughing. Yes, you aren't well, but that has nothing to do with commonsense. You know, we all know, that what he is doing is wrong, in so many ways.

You can't get better until you remove a glaring problem from your life. You need to look after yourself, first. You're questioning yourself, because of what he said to you. Second guessing yourself.

I know it's not black and white, but it's pure as day he doesn't have much respect for you. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
  • edited December 2016
  • Breandryn said:
    No, I've just been a drama queen. I'm sorry, I'm being pathetic. I'm so sorry for all this.
    You're not. It doesn't matter where you turn for help- It doesn't make you a drama queen. It means your human and in need of a basic emotion. If you need to talk- Inbox me. 
  • To echo what most others have said, no, that's not being a drama queen. It's a real and valid concern. Unfortunately, I can't offer any real suggestions to any part of your situation, but from what I read before you edited your posts, the problem is, most definitely, not with you.
  • edited December 2016
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2016
    Incidentally, anyone who feels embarrassed by their depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues might benefit from listening to this radio program, in which smart people posit that we'd all be better off speaking and thinking Moreno openly about experiences, feelings, and mental states that are much, much more common than we're conditioned to admit.

www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/453993626/headspace
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    I keep meticulous track of student attendance, down to a color coded excel sheet. I do similarly for tracking homework grades. I leave extensive notes on every essay I grade, and I'm very transparent in my rubrics for each major assignment and in how I grade everything cumulatively in the course. But still, every time I get an email asking "Why is my grade this low?" I feel a knife of panic and this desperate fear that I'm calculating something wrong or being unreasonable. Which is such imposter syndrome crap, and I know it, but it doesn't mean it instantly goes away.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    I keep meticulous track of student attendance, down to a color coded excel sheet. I do similarly for tracking homework grades. I leave extensive notes on every essay I grade, and I'm very transparent in my rubrics for each major assignment and in how I grade everything cumulatively in the course. But still, every time I get an email asking "Why is my grade this low?" I feel a knife of panic and this desperate fear that I'm calculating something wrong or being unreasonable. Which is such imposter syndrome crap, and I know it, but it doesn't mean it instantly goes away.
    You sound like a really good teacher!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    (Let's hope the student evaluations agree! Hahaha.)
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    (Let's hope the student evaluations agree! Hahaha.)
    Student evaluations are such a joke.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I went to get the prompt for my final essay in my online English class, which has already been one of the most pathetic classes I've ever taken at a college level. But the teacher surprised me by hitting a new low that I thought I would never see, even in this farce of an academic setting:

"I assigned this novel because everything about it is well-written and enlightening.  I've underlined and annotated shit on every page because it's all significant and illuminating!!"

Yep, my English teacher casually used a curse word and emphatic double exclamation marks in an assignment prompt.

To say nothing of the fact that the last essay I received any feedback on was turned in back in September and I received 100% on that despite my working in two quotes from Mobile Fighter G Gundam because it was a more interesting challenge than the actual assignment. (For the curious, the assignment was an analysis of William Blake's poem "The Tyger" and the quotes I used were "glows with an awesome power" and "It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory.")

I literally have no idea how I'm actually doing in this class, and haven't for two months, but I'm assuming my final grade at this point will be done eBay style. "A++ would teach again!!!"
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!