General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Talan said:
    Veyils said:
    Graduation is a big deal? I kind of thought engagement would be more so I remember my dad didn't even come to my graduation.
    I think this might be a cultural difference. Americans put a lot of emphasis on personal achievements and tend to take all the opportunities to celebrate the individual. We like to celebrate in general, and there are all these other little aspects of it (gift giving, commerce) that get reinforced in many different ways. Graduation is also for the parents/families as much as the graduate. Raising a child to functional adulthood (or even just contributing DNA to this end) is seen as an 'achievement' in itself - look what I made. I'm sure foreigners have seen in our movies and such that graduations are a BFD - people have big parties, get big presents, go on vacation, etc. These things really happen (for those who want them). ourselves.
    Fixed.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    My past few days have been dominated by babysitting duty. I am exhausted and stressed. I am not cut out for the handling of children. :disappointed:
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Vyla said:
    Talan said:
    Veyils said:
    Graduation is a big deal? I kind of thought engagement would be more so I remember my dad didn't even come to my graduation.
    I think this might be a cultural difference. Americans put a lot of emphasis on personal achievements and tend to take all the opportunities to celebrate the individual. We like to celebrate in general, and there are all these other little aspects of it (gift giving, commerce) that get reinforced in many different ways. Graduation is also for the parents/families as much as the graduate. Raising a child to functional adulthood (or even just contributing DNA to this end) is seen as an 'achievement' in itself - look what I made. I'm sure foreigners have seen in our movies and such that graduations are a BFD - people have big parties, get big presents, go on vacation, etc. These things really happen (for those who want them). ourselves.
    Fixed.
    Rude.
    edited December 2016
    Kistan said:
    Phoebus said:
    My past few days have been dominated by babysitting duty. I am exhausted and stressed. I am not cut out for the handling of children. :disappointed:
    I got upset to find out when it is your own kids, it is not called babysitting and you do not get paid
    I wish I got paid for it! My sister uses my brother, my mother, and me as free labor so she doesn't have to pay for a babysitter. We don't get asked, we just get the niece dropped on us whenever she is unavailable. Usually without advance notice, so she can guilt us into it because she has no one else to ask on such "short notice." She knows we can't tell her no when the alternative is a young child having no one to watch her, and she abuses that. She thinks she is very clever, but it is super obvious and we are all very tired of being taken advantage of. It makes me grumpier than I might otherwise be about the whole thing.

If she would just ask like a respectable human being instead of pulling this manipulator shit, we'd be just as likely to watch the kid, but wouldn't end up with all this built up resentment.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Conspire with one another to find the one person who'll say yes one day, give everyone else a good alibi. Then when she calls up, have everyone tell her no right up until the 11th hour so she really, REALLY has to worry. Then whoever ends up watching the kids makes a big deal out of the 'cancelled' plans.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Man, your sister needs to experience life with 4 kids, no family closer than an hour away and no one you feel comfortable to burden with all the kids and see just how much she is taking you guys for granted. Last week Leo and I had our second date night in 6 months thanks to my parents babysitting. Jesus. 

• I think it is really wonderful that your sister has that support in your and your family. But rather than turning this into a negative and trying to hurt her (not that I think you would, but rather to address the prior suggestions) or make a point, perhaps some straight up truth could help? I am certain that her showing a little respect for your time as an individual and some appreciation would go a long way.

As a childless individual I found parents to believe their time and needs were more important than mine, especially in the workplace, because children are the 'sunshine, air, and water'. Remember your needs and desires are as important as anyone else's. 

Also, people tend to manipulate when they don't feel secure in themselves or the situation. And even though it should be obvious to her that you will all help, even willingly, she might be more comfortable doing the right thing when those insecurities are laid to rest. 

Personally I just think it is great that she has the support. Meaning. Go you, you are awesome.

Anyway, why I came here is to say REACH OUT TO PEOPLE. Eleven personally upsetting deaths in this ONE year has tipped me over the edge. Four of them being suicides. One of those being an 8 year old. Please. People. Just reach the hell out. PLEASE!? And parents/relatives/friends, if something is upsetting your kid. Just freaking comfort them and do whatever it takes to understand and resolve the situation no matter how hard that might be for you. Don't wait for them to be in a god damned grave to be asking why. Because I can tell you now, it's a lot harder living without your child than resolving any possible grievance your child has. This really applies to any loved one, regardless of age.

I read through these forums, and I see you all. Look. Even if you think I hate you. If you have no one. And you need to talk, whatever, spar me for ten hours straight. I don't give a flying fig. I'm here. 
  • People can't drive in snow storms. Also big snow storm I've been outside for four hours in.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Dylara said:
    People can't drive in snow storms.
    This. People get scared, and traffic moves agonizingly slow (for good reason, those roads, seriously), and then after a while the idiots among them get angry about traffic moving slow and act like complete scum, and cause accidents that make traffic move even slower. This is Canada, people, winter is not a strange thing here. Yet every time it comes around, we're surprised and act like newborns experiencing life for the first time. 

A little grumpy after my usually hour-long drive home from work took nearly three instead.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited December 2016
    Nevermind. It's dumb.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    I think it is really wonderful that your sister has that support in your and your family. But rather than turning this into a negative and trying to hurt her (not that I think you would, but rather to address the prior suggestions) or make a point, perhaps some straight up truth could help? I am certain that her showing a little respect for your time as an individual and some appreciation would go a long way.

As a childless individual I found parents to believe their time and needs were more important than mine, especially in the workplace, because children are the 'sunshine, air, and water'. Remember your needs and desires are as important as anyone else's. 

Also, people tend to manipulate when they don't feel secure in themselves or the situation. And even though it should be obvious to her that you will all help, even willingly, she might be more comfortable doing the right thing when those insecurities are laid to rest. 
    Ah, this was actually part of a big salty rant I'd typed and deleted because I was stressing myself out too much talking about it. We HAVE tried to talk to her about it before. We first tried the whole "maybe if we trick her, she'll see the light" route. She just made passive aggressive posts on Facebook about how unreliable everyone is these days. So my mom sat her down with us for a family meeting, and told her she's seriously taxing us with her behavior, and we'd all really appreciate it if she'd make an attempt to work with us on it. My sister angrily ranted to her that she has no idea how hard it is to be a mother. To her own mother. With all three of her children sitting at the table. My mom's jaw was basically on the floor. Needless to say, that meeting didn't go well.

Not that we expected it to. She's never cared about anything else we try to talk to her about.

The babysitting thing is only one of the many ways she makes it clear to us that we exist only for her convenience, and it is the most frustrating and insulting one because she uses a young child as guilt trip material. At least for the other crap she tries to pull, we can tell her to eff off when she pushes it too far. She is really lucky that we care about her kid so much, because we are well fed up with her complete disregard for other people.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Dylara said:
    People can't drive in snow storms.

fixed that for you. Over here ( and we're a country that gets a LOT of snow every year ), as soon as there's one snowflake on the ground, people lose their cool and drive like there's a blizzard up ahead, when the roads are even clear. Snow apparently is something really scary.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Ah. That really is a terrible relationship to find yourself in. Good luck with trying to find balance between caring and being there for the young one and maintaining sanity. <3
  • I live in a desert. First sprinkle of rain, everyone loses their :o
  • Praying the lag is fixed this weekend. Its not possible to do anything with this lag. Never mind fighting.
  • Hehe I lagged out on the login screen. Took 20 seconds for the password prompt to appear. HOTS brought back Haunted Mines, though, so I've got no worries for my weekend fun :) 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Discovered the mass my grandma had removed from her bladder a few weeks ago was stage 3 cancer. The prognosis seems promising but I'm the only one who knows she even had a procedure and she doesn't want to tell the rest of the family. Not sure yet what cover story we're using for the weekly treatments she'll have to get..
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I'm sorry, @Daraius. That sounds tremendously stressful.

In more minor news, why is it the people who question me about their grades are more often than not the people who tried the least all semester? Baffles me, always.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Three causes, generally. Choose one of: They are used to getting passing grades on everything with little effort because their previous subject matter was simpler. They are used to being handed passing grades on everything due to sportsball or influential parents. They are overly confident in their ability and thought they were doing much better than they were until their grade snapped them back to reality.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I genuinely despise multimillion dollar corporations whose only method of contact is over the phone during the weekdays, especially in the bloody fashion industry. I don't know about any of you but I'm not trying to look my fucking best during the work trawl, I'm doing it on the weekend when I want to feel fucking pretty and have the time to do it.

Do I expect your company to have people eagerly sitting at the phones waiting to take customer complaints on their weekends? No, because I'm that guy at my job and I'd have to get a winning lottery ticket and favours from the mob to do that. You know what we do have? A FUCKING E-MAIL THAT GETS YOU CALLED BACK ON MONDAY AT THE EARLIEST FUCKING CONVENIENCE OR E-MAILED BACK IF YOU CLICK THE 'CANNOT CALL' BUTTON. IT'S REALLY FUCKING EASY TO DO. NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR SHITTY PRODUCT I HAVE TO WEAR A WIG IN TO WORK TOMORROW AND I DON'T EVEN GET TO COMPLAIN UNTIL I'M ON MY FUCKING LUNCH BREAK? 

I'm never using a Feria or L'oreal product again.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Fuck. Moving. Carried our big furniture down three flights of stairs and up three more. Then my computer, as well as enough clothes to get to work tomorrow. Forgot my headphones/headset and didn't have space for my computer chair in the car this go 'round (would have in the 15' truck, but my other half wanted to do ONLY the stuff that didn't fit in the car, for some reason, so that was mostly empty.) so I'm sitting in relative silence on the floor.
    There's some kind of bump in my mouth near my bottom front teeth that keeps getting bigger. I noticed it a couple weeks ago, but was ignoring it for the most part because it doesn't hurt or anything, but now it's big enough to press against the tip of my tongue all the time, so it's been elevated to Supreme Annoyance status. It doesn't look like a sore or anything...it just looks like the skin is being all pushed out by something underneath. Whatever it is, it isn't allowed to make my mouth explode until after the holidays when I can actually get an appointment to be seen, kthx.
  • Phoebus said:
    There's some kind of bump in my mouth near my bottom front teeth that keeps getting bigger. I noticed it a couple weeks ago, but was ignoring it for the most part because it doesn't hurt or anything, but now it's big enough to press against the tip of my tongue all the time, so it's been elevated to Supreme Annoyance status. It doesn't look like a sore or anything...it just looks like the skin is being all pushed out by something underneath. Whatever it is, it isn't allowed to make my mouth explode until after the holidays when I can actually get an appointment to be seen, kthx.

Is it like a little blood blister?
    Veyils said:
    Phoebus said:

Is it like a little blood blister?
    No, it feels hard, like bone. Not squishy, and doesn't move around when I poke at it. It's pretty weird.
  • Almost time for family Christmas trip. Get to enjoy a 10-12 hour car ride each way and spending 3 days with my conservative, religious extended family. And every day not doing that for the next 2.5 weeks I'm at work.

Every time somebody tells me to enjoy the holidays I laugh and want to strangle myself.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I accidentally let slip to my mother a few weeks ago that I've been feeling bloated and gained like 1-3 lb over the last two months and have subsequently joined a gym. Big fucking mistake. Yay, gonna be a fun 2 weeks
  • edited December 2016
    Ill just smile and keep on walking forward.
  • What's wrong, @Rolsand?