What are you playing?

Comments

• Daraius said:

What's the best Pokemon game to start with, for someone who has no nostalgia for the series and doesn't want to deal with unrefined mechanics.

Black and White would be my recommendation. The game has the best designed gyms, the best written story, has weeded out early game quirks and introduced the physical/special split and reuseable technical machines. You only have a relatively small dex to work with during the main game, allowing you to ease yourself into the world and the mechanics before it opens up and throws the national dex at you. Granted, by "best designed gyms" I mean that the game is probably the most difficult (with the exception of Diamond/Pearl's Champion), but it should still be easy enough to succeed, since the gyms are designed to teach newcomers about type advantages, combos, afflictions, abilities and all the other good stuff at a steady pace.

Also your rivals are more interesting than all other rivals put together.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I find myself in possession of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, a much expanded remake of one of my favorite games of all time in glorious HD. As an added bonus, it has Odin Sphere Classic Mode, which allows me to play one of my favorite games of all time... in glorious HD.

Seriously, this game is amazing.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • I just bought Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright.

It's fun, still playing through! :D

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Final Fantasy 8, for the first time. I hear there's a ballroom mini game I'll despise, but I also play Osu! so I may have an advantage.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    There's a ballroom minigame in FF8..?
    edited August 2016
    Without trying to see spoilers, yes, AFAIK. It goes with this music [was told by my friend that the music was in theatrhythm, and this is the only ball room music in it, so if I'm wrong tell me]:

• Dylara said:

I just bought Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright.

It's fun, still playing through! :D
    I've played all three. Revelation, Conquest and Birthright. Also the DLC, though I didn't find it to be that worthwhile this time around. Heirs of Fate is nowhere as great as The Future Past.

Also, while Birthright is easy and fun and makes pairing up for kids very easy, they also sort of...

Basically, there's a tiny handful of good kid character and they're all Conquest kids. Forrest is best.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I have Conquest loaded, just trying to finish birthright. Must unlock all characters.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Tremula said:

Without trying to see spoilers, yes, AFAIK. It goes with this music [was told by my friend that the music was in theatrhythm, and this is the only ball room music in it, so if I'm wrong tell me]:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. There is a ballroom SCENE, but no minigame so far as I recall.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Outside of triple triad, there aren't many minigames in the game at all. There are several gimmick areas with navigational/logistical puzzles and one/two missions that involve pretty straightforwards one-off minigames (like the train bit), but that's it!
    edited August 2016
    FF8 was the first one I ever played.

What might not be clear is how hilariously powerful and important junctioning spells to your stats is. In fact, the most optimal way to play is to rush the ability that turns off encounters and leave it on permanently after you have it. Enemy stats (including bosses) go up significantly as you level, but YOUR stats only slightly go up as you level, under normal conditions. What really buffs your stats is finding materials to get powerful spells and junctioning them. So, if you never fight, you barely level up and the game becomes a cakewalk.

EDIT: One of these days, I'm going to cosplay Edea. Unrelated: be on the watch for Robin Williams, he's in this one ;)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    There IS the minigame where you need to pick the instruments midway through disk 2 or 3, but the reward for picking the 'right' set is just that the music matches and fits the tone of the scene, and you get a magazine.
    I had forgotten about that. I think when I played as a kid, I just chose randomly and moved on. On a recent playthrough, I just looked up what the correct combo was instead of sitting through all of the music samples >_>
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Bosses have or had minimum levels, but I forget what those levels are for the superbosses.
    If you're playing through 'the regular way' and going through all the regular number of random encounters, you're usually going to be way above their stat floor.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Right, but Enc. None locks you at a given level and severely limits the AP you get, so if you turn it on too early, bosses will start to outpace what you can keep up with through junctions. (especially since you're theoretically only getting new spells by converting items and cards into them). And since you only get AP from bosses, you never level up at all. The better way to do a low level run is to bum rush your way to the Card ability from Quetzacoatl, then turn everything you encounter into cards. This gets you the item drops and AP, but not the exp. Then if you run into trouble with a boss who's level means you had trouble, you can grind a little between it and the next boss to give you a little breathing room.
  • Learn Triple Triad, learn Card and Card Mod, make stuff from cards, junction your stats to the high heavens. Bosses will fall with no problem.

Petrify and attack junction-Petrify are good too, though you get exp for any damage done to the enemy. Which doesn't matter if you don't mind gaining a level every now and again. You can fairly well do a game without gaining a single level though, which is the most fun I've ever had playing FFVIII because of how overpowered I was.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
    I was slightly upset to read this and realise there wasn't a mini-game. I love the idea of futzing up buttons intentionally to make Squall even more awkward than he should be. Lots of great info on the flip side, and I need to learn Triple Triad (isn't it like Lusternia's Fate game?) and Card/Card Mod.

• Dragon Quest VIII is apparently free on the amazon app store on android right now. So I got a copy, because I don't have enough games to play I guess.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Still poking around at my Pokemon Omega Ruby game a bit. Does anyone want a 5 or 6 IV Larvesta? I have some left over from breeding and would hate to see them go to waste.

I still haven't bred an Ampharos with the IVs I want, because I'm pretty sure the Mareep @Tremula sent me is cursed. All of its descendants are really stubbornly resisting improvement. :( Maybe the inbreeding has finally taken its toll.
    My offer to grab more and keep the inbreeding train rolling still stands.

• I'll take one!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I got my Arceus for August and I'm still not quite sure what to do with it.
  • Phoebus said:

Still poking around at my Pokemon Omega Ruby game a bit. Does anyone want a 5 or 6 IV Larvesta? I have some left over from breeding and would hate to see them go to waste.

I still haven't bred an Ampharos with the IVs I want, because I'm pretty sure the Mareep @Tremula sent me is cursed. All of its descendants are really stubbornly resisting improvement. :( Maybe the inbreeding has finally taken its toll.

Volcarona became my new favorite.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances

Phoebus said:

I still haven't bred an Ampharos with the IVs I want, because I'm pretty sure the Mareep Tremula sent me is cursed. All of its descendants are really stubbornly resisting improvement. :( Maybe the inbreeding has finally taken its toll.

Volcarona became my new favorite.
    Volcarona is awesome. Did you want one of my perfect Larvesta or are you good? I don't need anything in return for them, they're not doing anything but sitting around as it is.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Stratas said:

Learn Triple Triad, learn Card and Card Mod, make stuff from cards, junction your stats to the high heavens. Bosses will fall with no problem.

Petrify and attack junction-Petrify are good too, though you get exp for any damage done to the enemy. Which doesn't matter if you don't mind gaining a level every now and again. You can fairly well do a game without gaining a single level though, which is the most fun I've ever had playing FFVIII because of how overpowered I was.

This. With a little work and knowledge, you can work up 100 Tornados to junction to whatever you want.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So, pokemon just got released over here. But after fiddling with it for a bit, I decided this was better.

image:D