The foolishness of overbuffing kits.

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2014
    @Daganev - You keep just supporting what I said earlier, so I'm still confused about how 'I don't get it'  Lerad summarized what I said in more words and somehow he gets it.

You don't want to have to grind for bonuses, you would rather spend time doing other stuff, but yet you say it's ok to grind for levels, it's ok to grind for other stuff because they serve other purposes. Basically, from what I'm understanding, you don't think any extra grinding should be required for PvP, yet levels are required for PvP, demigod is required for higher levels of PvP, demigod powers etc. Getting a h/m/e blessing for instance, serves other purposes than just PvP, it allows you to tank larger PvE area's better, have a large ego pool for influencing, etc. Same with Karma blessings, they allow you to participate in many other areas of the game besides PvP.

1) This isn't a fighting simulation game, people don't start off even with the same power, same abilities, same stats, same whatever.

2) This is an RP-fantasy-PvP game.
    Having quests to grant boons fits into this
    Offering sacrifices to your God for their blessing fits into this. 
    You can choose to not participate in PvP, but that doesn't exclude you from it.
    It's not separate from PvP, this game is a PvP game. 

3) The bonuses aren't required, they are helpful. Having a wand of maggoting would be stupidly OP and is a dumb comparison to make. As myself, and other people have been saying, time and time again, you don't NEED to do anything extra to participate in combat, but anything extra you do is just going to help you. If you got that impression, it's because people are pointing out things you can do to improve your situation, make it easier on yourself, but ITS NOT REQUIRED. 

4) It's apparent that anyone who disagrees with you "just doesn't get it", which is pretty dismissive and not really productive. It's pretty tough to have a discussion with someone who doesn't really want to listen to the other side. You did the same thing in the simple ideas thread about the changeling revert after a few minutes. You don't handle people disagreeing with you well. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited December 2014
    No, you still clearly don't get it.  I'm only responding so that maybe you will.

Upkeep, is not the same thing as gaining levels. 
    Upkeep = non pvp related things you do which give you a temporary bonus or new ability and must be done again at a later date to have that ability again.

"  Having a wand of maggoting would be stupidly OP and is a dumb comparison to make"

It wasn't a comparison, it was a question on the limits of the idea. You agree that it is stupidly OP, good.
    Would you say the same thing about somebody who managed to code a super AI which allowed them to know that they would win every battle? Or is that a legitimate reward for being skilled?

Honestly, I've asked three people if I was missing something on this thread, and all agreed I was not.  I don't mind people disagreeing with me. And I'm very happy to hear a well argued disagreement.  I do mind people having no clue what I'm saying and then arguing against it with nonsensical arguments that aren't related to what I said. It's very frustrating.  Read what I write, and not what you think I must be writing.

An example here of somebody finally saying something that addressed what I wrote would be where Shuyin explained that he is ok with boons that are perceived to be important a small percentage of the time rather than a large percentage of the time.  That makes perfect sense to me. The idealist in me doesn't agree, but it's an insight into the other side that I did not think of, and actually addressed what I wrote. Ushaara, also brought up a new insightful point.   Talking about demigod levels, and purchasing artifacts, misses the point.
    If I clearly don't get it, it's because you aren't explaining yourself correctly and everything Lerad said that I thought I understood is also clearly wrong. 

Let me try summarizing again.

You  feel that it's "sad" to have PvP blessings that don't require PvP to get. For instance, karma blessings and h/m/e blessings that require questing and bashing and grinding to benefit PvP is 'sad.'  There's no PvP benefit to grinding besides the blessing at the end. You don't learn, you don't gain experience, nada but a blessing.

Is that correct?

I said that 'boons' are not required long before Shuyin did, right after your first comment.

"Karma blessings and tea's are bonuses, they aren't requirements, but you'll probably do better having the bonus than not having it, it's after all, a bonus."

This was in reference to your very first comment, but Shuyin said something similiar and it all the sudden makes sense and is relevant? This is why you are confusing, you are dismissing certain people and acknowledging others who are making the same points. The onus is on you to clearly communicate your opinion if you want a fruitful discussion.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited December 2014
    Here's the point of the grind. This is an online multiplayer game. Their business model is such that they don't get money from players who have purchased everything. They get money from new players sticking around and buying credits to become competitive/get boosts/etc.

Making new players stay in a multiplayer environment where there's no other players doesn't work. Imagine if every novice had to wait through the full duration of Novicehood/Collegium and didn't have anyone to interact with throughout that time. How many would stick around and play? My guess is close to none. Now let's look at where the grinding comes in. If you, as a PvP-er have to grind to get better/stay in the game/not lose demigod/whatever, then you as a PvP-er would spend more of your time online in Lusternia. This serves several benefits.

- The number of players online is greater, thus giving the impression that more people play, showing to new players that the game's alive and well.
    - You have experienced players spending more time online, thus being available to assist newbies/novices with their questions when/if they have any.

Have you looked at the achievements which can net you over 300 bound credits each? The fastest way to acquire them is to bring in at least three bards, scholars, pilgrims every day for five hundred days in a row. The point is... the administration wants players to play and keep playing, not get to a point where they'll only log on only when their friends give a shout about how there's a fight happening on Skype/MSN/other favorite chat client. That is why every now and again we have these 'complete quest 21 times this month to win a toy' things, too.

Either way, that is why there exist buffs that you can grind and that will help you in combat. Will they win the fight for you? No. Will they give you a better chance of winning? Possibly.

As to the rest... asking friends if you're missing something, well... I can do that too. I asked on our Halli OOC clan if anyone had an idea what you were on about in this thread and everyone online at the time was confused, so yeah.... clearly we're all stupid or something. ( A comment that I find quite offensive, mind you)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen

.Yeah, so, sorry if I implied that you had to "pay2win". This is pretty against my philosophy that, with some work, anyone can compete. I was a mediocre to nonexistant combatant for years and it took a lot of grinding and personal growth (learning how to code, understanding combat mechanics, etc.) to get decent. Like Shuyin and others have said, most of my credits came from IG means - guild/city credit sales, contests, competitions (great hunts, Ascension, weekly competitions), curios (RIP), and so on. What I was really trying to say was that "elite" or "top" players have invested some combination of time and money into getting good, and if you're not going to even take the time to invest in some personal development to get some basic, widely available buffs and to learn how to improve then I don't think anyone is going to take your cries for injustice to be serious.
  • " You  feel that it's "sad" to have PvP blessings that don't require PvP to get. For instance, karma blessings and h/m/e blessings that require questing and bashing and grinding to benefit PvP is 'sad.'  There's no PvP benefit to grinding besides the blessing at the end. You don't learn, you don't gain experience, nada but a blessing.

Is that correct?"

Mostly.  Seeing you write it that way, makes me want to replace "sad" with "disappointed". (Just incase the subtle difference in meaning is important)   So for simplicity sake, sure that is correct.  
    But for accuracy sake, you are missing an important factor.    
    Back on October 13th, Silvanus wrote: 
    Chaos Karma blessings are basically a must if you want to stand a chance against an Illuminati.

This to me a is what is disappointing.  What you wrote above, seems to imply that you think I believe that PvE bonuses that happen to also give a bonus to PvP is a disappointment.  I don't feel that way at all.  It was the fact that such advice was given so matter of factly, as if its a given that sometimes you just need to grind to get a special bonus or else you will lose.  If it's a given, I want people to question it's value.

"Have you looked at the achievements which can net you over 300 bound credits each? The fastest way to acquire them is to bring in at least three bards, scholars, pilgrims every day for five hundred days in a row.

Yep, that is great. And a good use for grinds.  Its certainly a grind I enjoy.  Even comes with a nice check box to mark off.

Either way, that is why there exist buffs that you can grind and that will help you in combat. Will they win the fight for you? No. Will they give you a better chance of winning? Possibly.

The advice given earlier, is that it would prevent you from losing what is otherwise a situation you will always lose in. (People have since backtracked on this assessment) which made me question the logic of the original advice.

"Karma blessings and tea's are bonuses, they aren't requirements, but you'll probably do better having the bonus than not having it, it's after all, a bonus.""
    1. This statement was contradicted by advice given elsewhere.
    2. The difference between this and what Shuyin wrote, is that Shuyin wrote that it won't make a difference 98% of the time. Meaning,  2% of the time, it is needed though.  He felt that was a fair trade off.

."so yeah.... clearly we're all stupid or something."

I never said that. 

• "I can do that too. I asked on our Halli OOC clan if anyone had an idea what you were on about in this thread and everyone online at the time was confused, so yeah"

I'm wondering if people think I'm complaining about something that I want changed by the admin or in the code.  Because I'm not and I don't.  What I would like changed is the logic used in arguments/thinking.  I'd like people to think more about the connection between how a must have is gained and what it is used for.  If the only way to survive an Illuminati is to get a chaos blessing, I'd like people to perhaps think there is something wrong with that scenario.   It's unlikely to happen, but it's what I'd like in an ideal world.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    To extend to the chaos blessing advice, you don't need it 98% of the time. It helps a lot, but you're only gonna need it when fighting the toughest IMO.
  • Shuyin said:
    To extend to the chaos blessing advice, you don't need it 98% of the time. It helps a lot, but you're only gonna need it when fighting the toughest IMO.
    I'd rather you don't need it 100% of the time :D Or it if its good that it is needed 2% of the time, ideally envoys would want it to then be converted it to a skill that costs lots of power.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The only way for people to survive a Nihilist with ecto/crucify is get a cleanse enchantment.

The only way to keep from getting totally destroyed in a meld is a protection scroll.

I could keep going with random things we need to survive certain classes and setups, but you get the point.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Well, I've never said that Karma blessing were a must-have, only that they are bonuses.

@Feyda can back me up (as well as others that were there) but I beat @Feyda, an illuminati, as a Minstrel, without a chaos blessing. @Altrea, @Malarious were also present. It took awhile, yes, because @Feyda is a good combatant that's worked on her stuff for quite some time and it's something we've helped her develop. I know I know, I don't have logs, and me saying it isn't sufficient proof for some people, but @Feyda will back me up. 

Also, Protection scrolls don't help much against melds, they are stripped really easily.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:

Also, Protection scrolls don't help much against melds, they are stripped really easily.

Love it when someone has protection on upkeep. :D

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Shaddus said:

The only way for people to survive a Nihilist with ecto/crucify is get a cleanse enchantment.

The only way to keep from getting totally destroyed in a meld is a protection scroll.

I could keep going with random things we need to survive certain classes and setups, but you get the point.

Sorry I'm not getting the point at all. :(
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2014
    @Daganev The point is this: You will need certain defenses to deal with certain guilds period, this is good and fine. If you don't meet the basic expectations, you're going to have a bad time.

By and large, the only time a quest/karma/PvE blessing is "necessary" (or really really wanted) is to counter $$$ put in on the other side, or very good strategy/skill, both of which are important and useful mechanics. For instance: You aren't going to stand and  tank the divinus bard who has you in pfifth and is using a damage setup to burst you down if you are a Faeling, and went into that fight without throne blessings etc. That's fine, and good. To  be clear, it would be sad if there was a requirement to grind and maintain quest bonuses to participate. That's not the case. 

To reiterate: I enjoy a reasonable amount of success, at a moderately high tier of combat, and I by no means put in time to grind or maintain quest/karma blessings regularly, nor do I have a huge trove of combat artifact boosters. Though I have had an Iron Membership (And therefore paid money into the game), I still possess a huge chunk of those credits, saving for a really kick ass custom beast. The rest of them have gone to transing all of my terts. Most of my actual skill and utility artifacts (like arti vials, my demesne rune) come straight from IG contests and work put in IC bashing. 

When curios/whatever come out that have even a potential or minimal combat impact, I am first in line to point it out and indicate disapproval. I get it, having to collect umpteen gewgaws to keep up is frustrating and stupid, but placing that at the feet of PvE and questing bonuses is barking up the wrong tree.

(Not to mention that overwhelming peripheral bonuses are already being looked at, for the last time!)

• So I got paged (@Synkaring you bastard D:) and looked over the last page, went back to the first page. 

I won't even bother reading the pages in between, some of the skills being complained about don't even make real sense. Fireforte? 10 dmp fire damage buff? 

I agree there are a number of problem skills, and that aeon is stupidly easy for groups (and in a group that knows how to function it should be a death sentence) but that is a skill by skill change.

My list of things currently in need of change (noting ectoplasm is being removed):
    - Hekoskeri
    - Spix  ( I swear this isn't targeting Illum, but passive transfix is scary if you use a beast at all)
    - Pfarewell (aeon + stun + blackout and there is no defense in groups) / Similarly the same song for symphonium, they require allying but they can force it and it can be done passively so not a real hinderance.
    - Destruction (damage is too high, this may be resolved by overhauls on buffs)
    - Balestone (Still one of the highest damage output skills, even though people say "it scales its fine", you can still cause over 2K damage when hitting 6 people at a time, ouch)
    - Double haegl (for the same reason as sun was changed in astrology, doubling up is bad)

I'm not proposing solutions because this isn't a report just a few of the problem skills on my list. Other topics include things like Shofangi having so few actual moves to choose from, climax being able to deal so many afflictions for such a low cost (doing the same with hexes used to cost 10p, why is 5p okay now?), and the sheer massive quantities of aeon, stun, and blackouts.

I imagine that all transfixes will get some look at, as blindness is going away as a defense (iirc).

I'd look at all the monks, tbh. I wouldn't bother bringing up specifics in this thread, or any thread, because there is some nebulous change that's going to happen to monks anyways, so it might be totally academic to argue about their current features.

edited December 2014
    I have ideas about what to do with my skills anyway. Just waiting until it's time.

Spix with no blindness will be too much, and hekoskeri's aff is unique and not necessary for the overhaul's goals.

They won't be useless, sorry to say to the haters, they will just be different.
    Malarious said:
    So I got paged (@Synkaring you bastard D:) and looked over the last page, went back to the first page. 

I won't even bother reading the pages in between, some of the skills being complained about don't even make real sense. Fireforte? 10 dmp fire damage buff? 

I agree there are a number of problem skills, and that aeon is stupidly easy for groups (and in a group that knows how to function it should be a death sentence) but that is a skill by skill change.

My list of things currently in need of change (noting ectoplasm is being removed):
    - Hekoskeri
    - Spix  ( I swear this isn't targeting Illum, but passive transfix is scary if you use a beast at all)
    - Pfarewell (aeon + stun + blackout and there is no defense in groups) / Similarly the same song for symphonium, they require allying but they can force it and it can be done passively so not a real hinderance.
    - Destruction (damage is too high, this may be resolved by overhauls on buffs)
    - Balestone (Still one of the highest damage output skills, even though people say "it scales its fine", you can still cause over 2K damage when hitting 6 people at a time, ouch)
    - Double haegl (for the same reason as sun was changed in astrology, doubling up is bad)

I'm not proposing solutions because this isn't a report just a few of the problem skills on my list. Other topics include things like Shofangi having so few actual moves to choose from, climax being able to deal so many afflictions for such a low cost (doing the same with hexes used to cost 10p, why is 5p okay now?), and the sheer massive quantities of aeon, stun, and blackouts.
    I'll only add... double haegl on chem/wood weapons is even more ridiculous. It's still that 1p, but it also does a decent amount of hp damage? Bad, bad.

• edited December 2014
    For the record, destruction does not have a higher damager formula than the bulk of the main damage skills, but it does have a lower damage formula than some (Wiccans). The skill, by the numbers, is only "better" than other attacks because of faeling and fire weakness being very common among the more common race choices. 

Warriors being the exception. 

You're welcome to envoy those to get the other envoys temperature on them. I would only say I don't personally see issues with double haegl other than it as a specific complaint regarding a specific organization (or specific combination of classes), so I'm not sure how keen I am on changing it across the board.  
    edited December 2014
    Lower damage, but higher speed, right? EDIT: Than wiccan attacks.Like, I know that Shamanism lightning does more damage... but is a lot slower, so the dps is actually somewhat lower than my cudgel.

REPORT 1071

Saesh said:
    For the record, destruction does not have a higher damager formula than the bulk of the main damage skills, but it does have a lower damage formula than some (Wiccans). The skill, by the numbers, is only "better" than other attacks because of faeling and fire weakness being very common among the more common race choices. 

You're welcome to envoy those to get the other envoys temperature on them. I would only say I don't personally see issues with double haegl other than it as a specific complaint regarding a specific organization (or specific combination of classes), so I'm not sure how keen I am on changing it across the board.  
    I've been saying for a while. Make damage type on destro unblockable and change source to none, making it not benefit from high int, magic damage runes and, of course, the fire malus on so many races (That could do with a look over too, but being that races are being changed in the overhaul too, I don't think it's pertinent at present)

@Malarious - Fire Forte is being brought up because it is the only skill like it. Every bard guild has an org song that boosts their allies, fair enough, but minstrels have an org song AND fire forte. If memory serves, omen is being ditched from Mag as well, which is the one skill they have which gives crazy synergy for their manakill... either you focus spirit to cure omen, dumping 2k mana or you don't and eat double damage... Generally, yes, omen is a much worse situation than fire forte is, but if fire forte will exist, might as well give Halli a song of the same tier that gives 10 resistance dmp to fire for all allies, too.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Saesh said:
    The skill, by the numbers, is only "better" than other attacks because of faeling and fire weakness being very common among the more common race choices. 
    It's more common, period.

There are a total of twenty races.

Fire: 10 races weak against, 3 races resist

Comparatively, there are only 2 races with a cold weakness while 8 races have varying levels of cold resistance.

3 have electric weaknesses, while 4 races resist it.

4 have magic weaknesses, while 6 races resist it.

This does paint a rather broad picture, since the weaknesses of some races are more pertinent than others (mugwump and merian both sharing fire/elec weaknesses keeps them more on par when the eq bonses on them is such a big thing), and less equality with asphyxiation, poison, and psychic damage is less an issue when DMP for these damage types is more restricted to guild/generally rarer. Fire, cold, electric, and magic all have the most universal sources that everyone can access, so for the sake of argument that's why I'm focusing on them.

At some point, early in the game, it was a more balanced spread, but during one of the first racial overhauls, a whole slew of races were tacked with a fire weakness when they had none before (notably igasho and tae'dae, both of which had fire resists prior!) This was deemed okay since it was more problematic to bashing (hi gorgogs), and the most fire damage you'd see in PK was usually from elementalism blast or Aquamancy Maelstrom.

This has very obviously changed.

• ChromaConcerto      Guard yourself against elemental ravages.

• Expert 50%
    • Stanza:          Mid (4-6)
      Targetable:      No
      Damage Modifier: 10 Elemental (20 with Opal)
      This special song will give the bard and his or her allies some protection against fire, cold and electrical damage. This power will be boosted by an opal crystal fused to your instrument.

For some stupid reason, I thought FireForte was a 20 damage buff and DMP. Still, the synergy is pretty delicious. Would absolutely love an electricity buff song, but no real way to achieve it in the theme of Loralaria gems.

Elanorwen said:

Saesh said:

I've been saying for a while. Make damage type on destro unblockable and change source to none, making it not benefit from high int, magic damage runes and, of course, the fire malus on so many races (That could do with a look over too, but being that races are being changed in the overhaul too, I don't think it's pertinent at present)

@Malarious - Fire Forte is being brought up because it is the only skill like it. Every bard guild has an org song that boosts their allies, fair enough, but minstrels have an org song AND fire forte. If memory serves, omen is being ditched from Mag as well, which is the one skill they have which gives crazy synergy for their manakill... either you focus spirit to cure omen, dumping 2k mana or you don't and eat double damage... Generally, yes, omen is a much worse situation than fire forte is, but if fire forte will exist, might as well give Halli a song of the same tier that gives 10 resistance dmp to fire for all allies, too.
    ...this is another incredibly poor argument. 

Mostly because Halli has a song that gives 10 fire dmp to all allies already. Oh, and electric and cold, 10 dmp (20 with fused opal!) to 3 different damage types where Fireforte is 10 dmp resistance to fire and 10dmp buff to fire. Take a look at ChromaConcerto.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Elanorwen said:

Saesh said:

Untrue, Serenwilde gets AncestralFeud. Our signature damage type is cold, though :(
  • Awwwwkwwwaarrrddddd
    Having your org damage type being fire, and having synergy based around boosting fire is a pretty hefty boon though. 
  • As well as having Destruction being fire.

Yeah that's not the fault of Gaudiguch...
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Shuyin said:
    Yeah that's not the fault of Gaudiguch...
    Don't think anybody said that, but it does cause a major issue when you combine all the various factors together.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"