The foolishness of overbuffing kits.

Comments

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I put up a log on combat fighting a larger group. Did that not count.
  • Shuyin said:
    I put up a log on combat fighting a larger group. Did that not count.
    No, because you won obviously.

Heh. The biggest thing I saw in there was just plain excellent Empress coordination, keeping the group together and out of danger. In the Mysrai fight, I had thought I was doing pfifth a lot more than that log shows; maybe I was slacking and just figured others might be picking up the slack there. I also was a little frazzled and didn't set up any SkySforzandos.

I dunno. I don't know if the northside trusts me enough to start that kind of Empress coordination. Generally we rely on @Saoirse for stuff like that, but she isn't super available all the time.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Synkarin said:
    Paradox - 5p, hits every enemy with oracle, timeechos, timewarp, or aeon

Multiple people paradoxing, entire enemy group afflicted with lots of stuff. 

bit more potent than homunculus greywhispers
    No.

Paradox hits a single, random enemy once per tic, with a random effect. Unlike homunculus, you get very little control over it in groups unless you reduce your enemy list to one, which you very likely will not want to do. Unlike homunculus, it will also poof on its own, without anyone needing to try to "kill" it. Roughly a minute, most of the time.

If it has been functioning otherwise, you should bug it.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited December 2014
    Obviously, researchers need a gemstone golem mob that casts aeon and other stuff on its own balance.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Obviously, researchers need a gemstone golem mob that casts aeon and other stuff on its own balance.
    Im hoping you're kidding, because I find 'copy abilities' to be bland and boring. Besides, Harmonic users already have quite the passive stacking capability as is, I'd even wager to say moreso than Illuminati
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Arcanis said:
    Shaddus said:
    Im hoping you're kidding, because I find 'copy abilities' to be bland and boring. Besides, Harmonic users already have quite the passive stacking capability as is, I'd even wager to say moreso than Illuminati
    Not really. Look at each of their gems in Harmonics: one causes bleeding, one causes plague-type afflictions (I know this isn't right, but it's close enough for this), you have a few passive healing ones, one drains ego, one drains mana, one does minor fire damage to a target and minor timewarp, and one does passive movement resistance. When was the last time you saw a researcher pull off a timequake? Do you really think this is close to Transmology?

Meanwhile, yes. Aeonics is pretty darn good, and while I still don't think it's close to Paradigmatics, it's handy. Alacrity is good, aeonfield is good under some circumstances, Switchfate isn't horrible, Contingency is underused.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited December 2014
    Shaddus that's nonsense man.  I was playing as a researcher and timequake is really good and extremely doable. Just because people aren't doing it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Maybe the overhaul changes made it way different, but I doubt it.

Edit: To be more specific and respond directly to your post:  If researchers had a gem that did aeon then researchers would have an unstoppable/unpreventable instakill as soon as they got 5 gems with resonance, or 7 without.

Edit2: To be more Fox News with it, my biggest issue with Illums was always Hekoskeri, if that got nerfed since I was gone, I don't think I'd complain much.  Uncurable ecto/confusion for 50% of any fight is absolutely broken.  Ignore if it has since been removed.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You probably don't see people doing timequakes because it's a long term strategy, requiring stacking rubies to shatterplex. The vast majority of combat is group-oriented combat, which is too fast paced for slow strategies. Therefore, you don't see people timequake, because while it's in theory a good technique, it's non-practical for actual combat as it stands.

• Yeah, in groups other things are faster kills. No need to buff it though.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:
    Shaddus said:
    I'll put 500 credits down against that bet.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Poor underpowered researchers
  • You don't see shatterplex because even with the timewarp increasing weapon (resonator), people focus mind and scarf down horehound so fast that you lose your window to timequake after shatterplex; they've already got themselves down to below massive timewarp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm up for buffing both timequake and illuminate.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2014
    Needs more aeon

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    edited December 2014
    Maligorn said:
    You don't see shatterplex because even with the timewarp increasing weapon (resonator), people focus mind and scarf down horehound so fast that you lose your window to timequake after shatterplex; they've already got themselves down to below massive timewarp.

No, actually, you can get a pretty good window with the resonator if you set it up right. The real problem with shatterplex is that it is really meant for 1v1, and group combat dominates.

When you use shatterplex (or discharge the resonator, for that matter), everyone in the room will see it unless you blackout the whole room somehow (panic button, I guess?). Every enemy that has these things highlighted then knows exactly what you are doing, and to who, and can/will react to hinder you if they have bal/eq. So what happens is you take the time to set it up, then get barraged with web/hanged man/shieldstun/etc. It's an issue more unique to trying to kill with shatterplex and isn't mirrored well in other kill methods, apart from Shadowdancer's final twist. If Shuyin being at 45% mana was easily and simply broadcasted to everyone in the room as it happened, you can bet they'd be just as quick to hinder the MDs and Celestines so they can't toad/absolve.

Researchers are really more for affliction spam and loldamage in group fights.

EDIT: And sacrifice. Sacrifice is probably more similar than twist, actually, but the ways in which crucify works does a lot more to keep the target in the room.

• edited December 2014
    I know I don't play, but who knows, I'll throw the idea out to see if it sticks at all:

Iron-membership allows access to the envoy server (or an equivalent).  Ideally it'd be actually accessible from the aetherplex in -real- Lusternia, that way you could see aethers and receive tells (and help noobs).

You'd be basically in a shell, it'd be totally OOC, you'd have access to any skills, any artis, and any level you wanted.  People that were so inclined could go in there and just PK the hell out of each other for giggles.

The idea being to get the population up a bit.  I know I would log in for that, then, when a village/bubble pops more people might be around.

Also, keeps the $$ flowing.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I'd support the above idea,  but in addition to Iron membership, maybe give an artifact that allows access too, so people who can't afford iron memberships can at least have an oppurtunity as well, or some such.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • @Saesh not to sound condescending, but so far since my Cantor objection, it seems, though people dont agree on Princess Farewell, that most of the masses agree there is a problem with Dmg levels via buffs. So that players like me that, as Kelly put it so elegantly "Are not of the Elite players", dont get literally squashed in a single combo, perhaps priorities should be adjusted to fix this little problem?
  • I believe the administration have acknowledged that and also proposed a specific tiered/hard cap solution following the affliction changes on a few occassions. Consider the priorities adjusted!

That being said, no one with reasonable defenses gets squashed in a single combo of anything. The issue is certainly on the radar, but it's not something we can change overnight to any degree of satisfaction, so in the interim I'm sure the lovely people here can offer you suggestions on how to maximize your damage mitigation if you are having difficulty there. Or I can if they don't want to.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    edited December 2014
    Synkarin said:
    Gogo Envoy server!
    Though, barely anyone ever used it even when it was available, outside of me, Xenthos, Tacita, and Enyalida.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    edited December 2014
    I think that an arena mode (or separate arena-like place) that allows for skill/race swapping and pseudo-consuming cures would work better* than an entirely separate server. Basically, an envoy arena/arenamode that lets you test out different combos and possibly has a mode to output further information about things. That would probably bolster use among envoys, less hassle connecting to a different IP and potentially needing to transferr/copy system and combat details over. Opening it in some limited degree to other players to do testing on their own is neither here nor there for me. I'd like to have tools that might be a little overboard to give to every player, but who knows?

@Arcanis, read the full proposed plan. Caps and adjustments to stacking for both offensive and defensive values are already on the table. Once outliers are normalized with a simpler system, standout damage (either too much or too little) can more easily be diagnosed and delt with, if necessary.

*By better, I mean ease of use, not coding/resources required, of course. 
    edited December 2014
    Arcanis said:
    @Saesh not to sound condescending, but so far since my Cantor objection, it seems, though people dont agree on Princess Farewell, that most of the masses agree there is a problem with Dmg levels via buffs. So that players like me that, as Kelly put it so elegantly "Are not of the Elite players", dont get literally squashed in a single combo, perhaps priorities should be adjusted to fix this little problem?
    Who exactly squished you in a single 'combo'? What do you consider a 'combo'?

For all I complain about destro, when I go aerochem, I do pull out a pretty decent HP nuke against anyone that hasn't maxed for anti-electrical, but I still won't kill you in a single blast. It'd take more like 3 or 4... and even that probably without you sipping. (Of course, if I max for mage damage, it means I'm definitely not-maxed for anti-fire, so I eat the big destros while at it too... but glass cannon and all that, I guess)

Anyway, feel free to start a thread of your own related to advice on buffs and such. List the following:
    Potions, alcohol, proofings, robe stats, bodyscan resistances full, actual race and boosts to improve vitals (Life rune, karma blessings, endowments purchased) and I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to offer advice to improve your survivability.

EDIT: Clarifying a point that I went off on a tangent rather than making. Oops.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    Saesh not to sound condescending, but so far since my Cantor objection, it seems, though people dont agree on Princess Farewell, that most of the masses agree there is a problem with Dmg levels via buffs. So that players like me that, as Kelly put it so elegantly "Are not of the Elite players", dont get literally squashed in a single combo, perhaps priorities should be adjusted to fix this little problem?

For all I complain about destro, when I go aerochem, I do pull out a pretty decent HP nuke against anyone that hasn't maxed for anti-electrical, but I still won't kill you in a single blast. It'd take more like 3 or 4... and even that probably without you sipping. (Of course, if I max for mage damage, it means I'm definitely not-maxed for anti-fire, so I eat the big destros while at it too... but glass cannon and all that, I guess)

Anyway, feel free to start a thread of your own related to advice on buffs and such. List the following:
    Potions, alcohol, proofings, robe stats, bodyscan resistances full, actual race and boosts to improve vitals (Life rune, karma blessings, endowments purchased) and I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to offer advice to improve your survivability.

Really...? the entire basis of this thread was originally over the cantor 1-combo kill, which was basically princessfarewell, dramaturgy line, and 3-4 sarchords before you have gotten out of it.

- feel free to start a thread...? I already started -this- thread. See this is why I attempt to avoid replying to you. No offense intended.
    Arcanis said:

Really...? the entire basis of this thread was originally over the cantor 1-combo kill, which was basically princessfarewell, dramaturgy line, and 3-4 sarchords before you have gotten out of it.

- feel free to start a thread...? I already started -this- thread. See this is why I attempt to avoid replying to you. No offense intended.
    I did say start a thread for another reason... i.e. how to increase your survivability, as opposed to claiming someone else is overbuffed.

Anyway, that's an interesting combo... pfarewell/dramaturgy/3-4 attacks... that's 6 balances. (The way I understand a combo is my full TK blast... i.e. 3 attacks on the same balance) You think you would last against anyone if you paused your system for six of their balances? It appears the issue is not with them attacking, but with your system screwing up there and not curing out properly.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Arcanis said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    Saesh not to sound condescending, but so far since my Cantor objection, it seems, though people dont agree on Princess Farewell, that most of the masses agree there is a problem with Dmg levels via buffs. So that players like me that, as Kelly put it so elegantly "Are not of the Elite players", dont get literally squashed in a single combo, perhaps priorities should be adjusted to fix this little problem?

Hyperbole much?
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to advice, Arcanis. You've got basically everyone here telling you that it's not the Cantor problem, it's you.

I don't consider myself big stuff. I don't think I'm a good or seasoned combatant by far. But I can survive Raeri's combos, consistently, in an arena, by using blacktea and allheale. I get a little leeway with jadegrazioso and emeraldgrazioso. I survived both his damage tactics and his dsong tactics. I wasn't able to make any headway on him offensively, but I did survive.

I had about  ~4.5k health at that time and, say, 30% fire dmp and 15% divinus dmp.

• Eh, I can survive Raeri easily too, but that doesn't mean starchord damage is definitely in the safe ballpark. It would be nice if we had more testing or details about how starchord's damage formula or a dozen other things, but we don't, and it's difficult to say whether it is or is not worth a nerf. Of course, starchord alone isn't likely to be the problem. The problem is Div/Exco + fast eq that is giving birth to outlier conditions and situations like this. I know they say hindsight is 20/20, but man, putting in div/exco and tying it to undead/living as weaknesses was definitely not the smartest addition to the game.

edited December 2014
    It is worth saying that Starchord (or really any direct damage skills) are probably not worth nerfing now unless they are regularly doing wild or unexpected damage, in the way of aerochem bombs. "Fixes" for damage in general are already coming, fairly soon, specifically with an eye to cutting down on non-arti buff outliers, at least.

Hopefully this will put div/excoro on something of the same footing, as the more defended-against types will hit their caps quickly and not get so far ahead of cosmic defenses.
  • It makes me sad when 'reasonable suggestions' are to maintain a specific karma blessing, and know in advance to have specific time limited defenses up (blacktea).

IMO these sort of things should be bonuses, not requirements.  I truly hope the overhaul reduces the requirement to grind and maintain defenses with hours worth of work in the off chance you come across some specific combo from a specific player.

I'm not saying that these suggestions are not reasonable, I'm bemoaning the fact that they are.