Simple Ideas

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Munsia said:
    Let's not say channeled effects. Cause there's some instakills out there...
    I don't see why talking not breaking an instakill is a bad thing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Morkarion said:
    Munsia said:
    One thing that kind of gets to me is how setting a target breaks a teleport - there has been a couple of times when I have started teleporting to someone, then someone designates a target over the clan aether, causing my trigger to set them as the target and breaking the teleport in progress.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Kagato said:
    Morkarion said:
    Munsia said:
    One thing that kind of gets to me is how setting a target breaks a teleport - there has been a couple of times when I have started teleporting to someone, then someone designates a target over the clan aether, causing my trigger to set them as the target and breaking the teleport in progress.
    Your system should pause when you teleport, if it breaks cause of a trigger, that's a system fault. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Can we have walking canes? :o
  • How about a slight rework on ads? Right now, you create them and set a description, and then they go away after a week or ten days or however long that period is.

Instead, I'd like to see the following:
    • The ability to extend ads. They wouldn't last a period of time from when they were created, but rather would last a certain amount of days based on how much you pay. At any point you could re-extend the ads. Think stables and beasts.
    • Editor for ad description. No more fiddling around with spacers to get a nice table going, and you'd be able to add line breaks at will!
    • Frankly, a little more expensive. 100 gold for an ad that lasts for a week? At that point, they might as well be free. 100 gold per day would be far better.
  • Hmm. Just looked at something, and it was a rather... horrifying sight. You know how I've explored all of aetherspace? Guess how much piloting proficiency I got... What's that you say? 0%? Well, close! I did get 1% piloting proficiency. Which, needless to say... is kinda bad.

So, my idea is: Give at least a little proficiency for steering. Even 1% for 1000 rooms (i.e. circling Prime Aetherspace) would be an improvement over the nothing we get right now, although I'd personally prefer closer to 1% for 100 or 200 rooms.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Yeah, it would be nice if that was added back in at even a reduced degree, since the big piloting moves really don't see a horrifying amount of use compared to basic gunning and empathing. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Good grief, how do you get piloting proficiency if not by actually piloting?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I'm thinking it requires power moves. I did get 1%, after all, and I did use farhorizon and forcefield a couple of times after dragons bit me.
  • Turning silentrun on and off...
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I'd be very appreciative if curio search functions could get more terms added, so I can "curios all <blah>" for cooking, travel, fixture, resistance, etc. This currently works for genies right now because each collection name just happens to contain "genies" in it, and that is great! But it makes the other collections feel entirely lacking in this regard, particularly for trading purposes. With far fewer people rubbing curios now, this would help significantly with figuring out what you can trade to who.

If this would be hard, then cooking by itself would be great, because there's no way I can remember all the different subgroups and such.

• You can use CURIOS COLLECTION COOKING, I think. Maybe?

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    "That is not a valid collection." :(
  • I think it'd be better to add groups to curios. For instance, there'd be a group for cooking curios, one for quest curios, one for event curios, one for normal curios, etc.
  • edited December 2013
    I would -really really- love it if the extra weight could be dropped from the RP demigod powers.

I understand that the custom ones take time and effort from the Admin to work out with the player to make sure they are appropriate and suitably flavorful, that is why they have a heftier essence weight attached to them. However, I think it is odd that we are essentially punished for choosing to pick RP abilities, which then prevents us to pick up useful ones.

By choosing all the RP abilities with the choice list, I am down 10 weight, which could be something useful, like divine fire or an endowment.

If I choose the the entrance/exit/teleport messages, typecast and also want a custom shout, that's 13 points. 

If I add a custom zap, tha'ts another 5 points above the cost of just a plain one, making my RP choices cost me 18 points of my 50 weight limit.

By assigning weight to the RP powers, you force the player to make the choice between RP and survivability/combat. Which, in my humble opinion, should never be a choice that has to be made. 

My preference is to remove the weight entirely from the purely RP Powers. I would also like to see the cost lowered on custom zap to that of the choice zap weight, as again, you are being penalized for RP.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    The whole point is so not every tom dick and harry has it...
  • My understanding is the level grind is there to prevent every Tom, Dick, and Harry from having Demigod.

How is punishing RPers for choosing RP abilities beneficial? 

The weights are obviously there to prevent any one Demigod from having all the utility and survivability. The RP abilities do nothing to impact combat, or bashing. Nor does all demigods having messages surrounding entrance/exit make it less special, as just about everybody but the minmaxers have these things.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    Why can't we have useful Demigod powers instead of the same ones we had before the powers existed.  
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    The whole point of weights is that you are forced to choose what to spend weight on. 

Why should RPers get everything they want, and the people who want utility/stats/whatever don't? I think it's an all of nothing approach, all the powers should have weight, or none of them should.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited December 2013
    Synkarin said:
    The whole point of weights is that you are forced to choose what to spend weight on. 

Why should RPers get everything they want, and the people who want utility/stats/whatever don't? I think it's an all of nothing approach, all the powers should have weight, or none of them should.
    RP doesn't create balance issues, and everybody can be an RPer.

There are plenty of folks who choose to do both, and the idea behind my suggestion is that by making the purely RP powers not carry weight, you free -everybody- to be able to pick and choose from the utility and combat related skills they want.

All or nothing is a very naive request, as the admin implemented this system for a reason, as they felt that having -everything that had been previously available is too much, and possibly unbalancing. The RP powers are not unbalancing, and objecting to removing the weight simply because then "RPers get everything they want" is petty.

To be fair, demigod was never a balance issue as far as powers. The powers were created because some of us had nothing to do with Essence. Though the revamp of the revamp was more retarded....In any case they took away all our inherit demigod powers and made us pay for some of them. So balance isn't an issue here. It's the 'Oh it'd be nice to have that again'. 
    Parua said:
    Synkarin said:

Because RP doesn't create balance issues, and everybody can be an RPer.

There are plenty of folks who choose to do both, and the idea behind my suggestion is that by making the purely RP powers not carry weight, you free -everybody- to be able to pick the utility and combat related skills they want.

Everyone having every power doesn't create balance issues either, everyone has them so it's balanced equally among everyone. 

What you are asking for is special consideration for people who choose to RP and taking away the choice. That frankly isn't fair. Why should I have to pick and choose what powers to use for me where you get everything you want for free and then some. Would I mind having custom entrance/exit message or being able to typecast myself? Not at all, but I'd rather spend my weight on things I find more important, just as others find it more important to have the typcast/custom entrace/exit messages etc.

It also lessens the RP if everyone gets it for free. Your special bursting into bats and reforming in the next room isn't as cool when 10 other people use the same message. And no, not everyone has it, the people who decide it's worthwhile and important to have do and the others who would rather pick other skills have those instead. The choice is there and it's up to you to make.

The point as I've already stated is to force you to choose between RP and utility and having utility powers can certainly be construed as RP as well, just like skillsets are. I completely understand why there is weight associated with them and as long as the system remains, I don't feel they should have special exceptions just because they are RP. I don't think it's punishing in the slightest. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    In a game like this, if you pit RP against mechanics, RP tends to lose. The more people have to choose between being interesting or being stronger, the less interesting the game will get. There wouldn't be any downside to giving more access to these powers under some scheme. I think it would be a cool idea to give the choice* powers free to everyone, with a caveat: They are only unlocked when you hit certain essence thresholds, in the order look/enter/teleport/shout. Because really, are the choice powers worth ~1/4 the strength of an endowment? 1 weight maximum is all they should have.

But, everyone remember! If you have an empty guild/org, that's okay, just play it off as being elitist. If everyone walking around was in your org, it wouldn't be cool, would it?

Also, a second towards useful demipowers. The majority of the new ones aren't worth considering spending on. Way to expensive for what you get, which is very little.
    I wish they were more expensive too! The fact is they are just worthless and I have too little weight....
    Enyalida said:
    In a game like this, if you pit RP against mechanics, RP tends to lose. The more people have to choose between being interesting or being stronger, the less interesting the game will get. There wouldn't be any downside to giving more access to these powers under some scheme. I think it would be a cool idea to give the choice* powers free to everyone, with a caveat: They are only unlocked when you hit certain essence thresholds, in the order look/enter/teleport/shout. Because really, are the choice powers worth ~1/4 the strength of an endowment? 1 weight maximum is all they should have.

But, everyone remember! If you have an empty guild/org, that's okay, just play it off as being elitist. If everyone walking around was in your org, it wouldn't be cool, would it?

Also, a second towards useful demipowers. The majority of the new ones aren't worth considering spending on. Way to expensive for what you get, which is very little.

In essence, you're saying that you can't be interesting unless you choose RP powers. Which is a really silly thing to say.

RP powers don't make you interesting, the way you play your character makes you interesting. If you want to choose the custom entrance/exit/look/whatever messages to build your RP, that's great, you can choose to do it. It has absolutely no bearing on how 'interesting' your character is. 

I agree, it wouldn't be cool if everyone was in my org/my guild, this game would be a whole lot more boring if we were all part of the same org. If you're guild is empty, maybe you should work at making it more interesting by investing in more RP powers of course, because that's how you accomplish being interesting. (see I can make stupid references that really have no bearing on the topic at hand too).

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Custom poses would make things more interesting. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2013

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there are powers that do nothing but increase your mechanical power, with no outward effects and no RP attached (the endowments), and scarce possibilities for any kind of interaction... and there are powers that add something to your options for playing your character, but don't do anything to your power level - and their weight is too much in relation to the limited pool for something that should be encouraged. That's the key there. Yes, you can always play an interesting RP character, however the better RP powers are the ones that open up more options for play, different angles for character design. As long as it's non-competitive to have both, it's likely that many (if not a majority of) people will 'opt' for the selection that allows them to more fully participate  and be a competitive in the mechanics portions of the game, and that's a darn shame.

Apparently, you can also selectivly ignore statements with great success! The 'having unnecessarily restricted access is cooler' argument has been used before, and it's nonsense. Giving the choice essence abilities to every demigod for free (or at least reducing their weight to 1) would  not make them less cool, because availability doesn't map directly onto cool. If it did, being a member of an org that has a small number of members would be 'the coolest!', and it's emphatically not -which was my point there, not "Make everyone just like me, wheeee". Most of the orgs now have options for these choice skills that are unique to their particular org/nation, with the potential for more forthcoming. Making them cost reduced weight more in line with their use and power won't hurt anything, why be so adamantly against it?  
    Anyway, simple ideas...can we get referendums to work slightly different? Currently they don't work on vote weight, which was changed and is fine since of what a referendum means, but it still has the potential for game wide alt abuse. Can we look at maybe a 'You had to have been logged in the past x days' or played 'x' hours in the last so and so time?  You get those people who have alts just sitting in every guild or city across the game that never pop in til an election/referendum.
    edited December 2013
    Enyalida said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there are powers that do nothing but increase your mechanical power, with no outward effects and no RP attached (the endowments), and scarce possibilities for any kind of interaction... and there are powers that add something to your options for playing your character, but don't do anything to your power level - and their weight is too much in relation to the limited pool for something that should be encouraged. That's the key there. Yes, you can always play an interesting RP character, however the better RP powers are the ones that open up more options for play, different angles for character design. As long as it's non-competitive to have both, it's likely that many (if not a majority of) people will 'opt' for the selection that allows them to more fully participate  and be a competitive in the mechanics portions of the game, and that's a darn shame.

Apparently, you can also selectivly ignore statements with great success! The 'having unnecessarily restricted access is cooler' argument has been used before, and it's nonsense. Giving the choice essence abilities to every demigod for free (or at least reducing their weight to 1) would  not make them less cool, because availability doesn't map directly onto cool. If it did, being a member of an org that has a small number of members would be 'the coolest!', and it's emphatically not -which was my point there, not "Make everyone just like me, wheeee". Most of the orgs now have options for these choice skills that are unique to their particular org/nation, with the potential for more forthcoming. Making them cost reduced weight more in line with their use and power won't hurt anything, why be so adamantly against it?  

Do stat boosts outwardly change your characters appearance, no, they don't, but they do change your character. Does being able to burst into a swirl of leaves make your character way more interesting, sure it's flavorful but I wouldn't say interesting, especially if everyone is doing some special entrance/exit message. 

It isn't nonsense that more availability takes away from the uniqueness of certain powers, that's what the word unique means. If you want a unique character thing that makes your RP cooler, but everyone else is using similiar messages, it's no longer 'cool' to have unique messages, just part of the norm. It isn't more interesting, it isn't more developed, it's just the normal thing to do.

Also 'selectively ignore statements' I directly reference is kind of funny, did you just selectively ignore my statement?

I'm not against it, I said from the get go it should be an all or nothing approach. Weights should be on all the powers or none of them.

I don't agree that you're sacrificing competitiveness by selecting combat RP oriented powers. Especially in today's world where group combat is king, you don't need to have maxed stats etc to be competitive and help out effectively. It's a darn shame that the opinion of this game is that you have to min/max to be helpful or be a valuable member of your team. My only requirement is someone that wants to help and wants to be a part of it. If they want to, I don't care what powers they take, they'll be useful to have around. I don't care if we lose as long as the people on my side are having fun. There are plenty of people in this game that have found a way to assist, be effective and helpful and competitive and choose RP over combat. Suggesting otherwise is stupid and an insult to them.

edit:: meant RP, not combat

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Choice exit messages tend to grate for me. Do Demi's that travel in a swirl of leaves get fat from not walking any more?