Simple Ideas

Comments

• Ah. Then yeah, I don't see the need for it changing, to be frank. The world is full of places with shortnames the same as ents or mounts (eagles, goats, mammoths come to mind immediately, and I'm sure there are many others).
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    A newbie hitting a by fae on accident happens. We call those 'accidents' for a reason. You tell them the right way, they change to it. If they don't have a simple basher, you can make one in a few minutes with stratagems if you're not good with code. There's so many examples I could bring up on this. It's as simple as hitting the wrong mob in a city. Oops, sorry, won't do it again...
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I don't think it needs to be removed, but changing the INFO HERE output to say "nature" instead of "fae" is something I can get behind.

I'd like it if shadow fae and moon fae could be differentiated by shortnames too, personally. There's been annoying situations where I'd accidentally kill a moondancer's banshee when trying to target a shadowdancer's. Ultimately you can get around it with some easy scripting, but you shouldn't need to for little things like that.
  • There's a bit of a difference between a mount and a class-necessary entity.

If there were domoth mobs that were angels and demons and crystals and wtfever gaudi has, it would be a problem too. The area is designed to be pvp-based, and having a mob have the same targettable/shortname as a pvp-necessary entity harms only the class with the ent, and nobody else would be affected positively or negatively by this change.

TBH, thinking about it, it's a -little- bit messed up that they are fae to begin with, because that's pretty terrible for Serenwilde RP that they have to go kill fae, the very thing the RP of the entire commune is centered around protecting.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Parua said:
    There's a bit of a difference between a mount and a class-necessary entity.

If there were domoth mobs that were angels and demons and crystals and wtfever gaudi has, it would be a problem too. The area is designed to be pvp-based, and having a mob have the same targettable/shortname as a pvp-necessary entity harms only the class with the ent, and nobody else would be affected positively or negatively by this change.

TBH, thinking about it, it's a -little- bit messed up that they are fae to begin with, because that's pretty terrible for Serenwilde RP that they have to go kill fae, the very thing the RP of the entire commune is centered around protecting.
    A mount is a class-necessary entity for every cavalier out there. Sorry, but I can't see why that makes it any different.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you're involved enough to hold a domoth and you can't take two seconds to tell people in a squad to target "nature", you're gonna have a bad time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I thiiiiiink that's enough back-and-forth for one idea, maybe.

Also, again, just leaving the whole 'being able to pull up a catalog of your flagged personal designs' thing here. Wooo.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • How about something to get rid of graduate status from collegiums that you no longer wish to be affiliated with? Hell, it could even be made into a gold sink.

At the postal office:
    REQUEST EXPUNGE FROM SHADOWMAZE
    You submit a formal request to be stricken from the records of the Shadowmaze.

The receptionist informs you that the processing fee will be 30,000 gold sovereigns.
    SUBMIT EXPUNGE FEE SHADOWMAZE
    You hand over your fee along with the requisite forms, and your petition to be erased from the records of the Shadowmaze is granted.

Or maybe let it be something that you can request from collegium professors, perhaps.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah that stint in the Empyreal Academy has always haunted me. I kind of like being able to see where people have been, but I guess you can always ask...
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Yeah I don't know why it's not 'health' instead of 'healing' because 'healing' directs to healing scrolls more times than not. This should be implemented.
  • Oh yeah, another idea I've had that I've been meaning to jot down:

ENEMIEDBY <org>
    Here's how it would work, for example:
    ENEMIEDBY MAGNAGORA
    You were declared a formal enemy of Magnagora on 12/29/09 by Nariah for reason: Defecating upon the Tome of Baalphegar
    And for NPC orgs:
    ENEMIED BY Castellan
    You were declared a formal enemy of Castellan on 09/15/13 by Kar'chen for reason: attacked krokani90210
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Try DIPLOMACY in the Hall of Records.

Though it doesn't have reasons for being enemied to territories, those are just assumed to be killing the loyals.

DIPLOMACY GLOMDORING
    You are an enemy of the Free Alliance of Glomdoring.
    You were enemied on 21st Klangiary 257.
    You were enemied by Viynain.
    The reason for your enemying: 'Attacking the Glomdoring'
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Oh. Well, you learn something new every day!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Being that every character registered under the same email address is tracked, adding the ability to all characters registered under the same address to speak to newbie, regardless of individual mentor status (As long as at least one of them does have mentor status) might probably be a good idea.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I don't know how simple this is, but I'd -really- like to see EMBRACE <CLASS> as the way to seal that you have left novicehood.

At the end of the already hard-coded time requirement, just a command to confirm that you are ready to leave behind being a novice.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2013
    But... why..? The only thing you lose is freshman novice (the ability to forget lessons without penalty) and you gain much more (the ability to specialize in guild skills). I am not understanding why someone would want to remain ungraduated, so I do not get the appeal of adding another command in for newbies.

The other parts of being a novice are level-based, not graduation-based.
  • Because not all novices are ready to leave behind freshman novice status at that 10 hour mark?

Some of them don't even understand what it means, and to have it be tied to how long they have played, as opposed to other factors, such as grasping certain game concepts and suitability of the guild/city they have chosen.

It does nothing to harm novices who are ready to graduate, and helps those that aren't.
    edited December 2013
    But it is not a 10 hour mark. That timer does not even start until they graduate from the collegium. I would like to think that they have a basic understanding of the organization by the time they graduate from the collegium (that is kind of the point of the collegium).

The absolutely only effect of freshman novice is that they can forget skills without loss. If they have been in the guild long enough to graduate (that is quite a few hours!) I do not expect them to be as clueless as you seem to.

I just don't see how adding this command in will help them. They should graduate faster so that they can learn their skills, not have another thing placed in the way.

Edit: I would actually prefer to see freshman novice / novice done away with completely. Established players either skip it or idle in a manse. Those 10 hours do not really do much for a newbie one way or the other. They will automatically graduate once the time is up; there is no novice exit interview (and I think that is a good thing). It would seem preferable to just let the novice into the guild proper once they graduate the collegium and get rid of that last hurdle (let them learn their skills as much as they want right away).

PS: putting a command in as you suggest would allow a guild to enact a rule saying that you must get permission before using it, bringing in the possibility of novice exit interviews. That sort of thing is best left elsewhere imo.
  • See, you're not understanding. Perhaps all the Glomdoring novices are quicker to catch on to things, but in my experience, I have quite a few GR 1's that don't understand -anything- about how Lusternia works, because they have spent the entire time doing non-mechanical stuff, like RP or watching plays, or even AFKing.

Just because they "should" know by the time the novicehood period is over, doesn't mean they do. And a simple EMBRACE CLASS or whatever,  like many of the other IRE games have, I might add) is not a barrier to entering full guild status. It's a one-time command you enter. It's not going to slow anybody down. It will, however, help those who are not ready to be out of freshman novice state.
    edited December 2013
    Parua said:

See, you're not understanding. Perhaps all the Glomdoring novices are quicker to catch on to things, but in my experience, I have quite a few GR 1's that don't understand -anything- about how Lusternia works, because they have spent the entire time doing non-mechanical stuff, like RP or watching plays, or even AFKing.

Just because they "should" know by the time the novicehood period is over, doesn't mean they do. And a simple EMBRACE CLASS or whatever,  like many of the other IRE games have, I might add) is not a barrier to entering full guild status. It's a one-time command you enter. It's not going to slow anybody down. It will, however, help those who are not ready to be out of freshman novice state.
    See my edit; adding in a command lets specific guild leaders enact rules based on said command. Sure, you can say that admin can try to prevent such things... but they do not want to implement ideas that require additional oversight. It certainly is not simple.

If a newbie does not know these other things, how do you expect them to know what the benefit of being a freshman novice is, or even to care?

I will further posit that if they graduated by spending their time RPing or watching plays, then GREAT! They are getting an excellent introduction to their organization and guild, and that is exactly what they need.

Why is it a problem if GR1s do not mechanically understand things? GR1 has basically always been Lusternia's real "novice" rank. We expect GR1s to have a ton of questions. Just because they graduate does not mean they stop needing help.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited December 2013
    Xenthos said:
    I would actually prefer to see freshman novice / novice done away with completely. Established players either skip it or idle in a manse. Those 10 hours do not really do much for a newbie one way or the other.  
    Yes please. Obsessive alters will gladly lend their arms to this cause.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I think most people view gr1 and sometimes gr2 as "novicehood."

There may be a great many novices who advance out of freshman novicehood without a good grasp of mechanics. But I would be surprised if there are really so many for whom 10-20 hours of playtime is not enough to tell them whether they want to quit their current guild, which is really the only thing that freshman novice is useful for. Even after novicehood, it's doubtful they've invested enough lessons into anything for it to really be terrible for them to lose them in forgetting skills should they suddenly realise they want to be a Hartstone, or whatever.

That they spend the time rping and doing flavour related things should just help them decide whether the guild is for them, or no.

If your guild isn't treating gr1 as novices and helping to orient them to the world and mechanics of Lusternia, you can fix that. I don't understand how requiring a new command they'll never see again, that can cause confusion and needs to be explained, is remotely necessary.
  • I'm kind of amazed at how strongly people seem to oppose this idea.

1) I don't see how you can make a rule in a guild about not selecting this, any more than you can make a rule about choosing a trade skill before mastering your guild skills, or other things along those lines. In my suggestion, the guild would have no power over the novices's choice.

2) The reason I suggest this is to make it apparant to TRUE NEWBIES what freshman novicehood is, and to give them a heads up that they are choosing to leave it when they embrace the class. Right now, unless you have either a) played before or b) specifically ask about it, there is nothing that explains the lesson loss that accompanies forgetting skills once you leave freshman novicehood.

3) This suggestion was my way of bringing us more in line with other IRE games and how they treat noviceshood. Unless it's been changed in other games, we are the only one in which you can leave novicehood entirely passively, without choosing to give up novice status.

4) Regardless how other people "view" GR 1 and GR 2. they are not mechanical novices. They currently exist in a bizarre grey area where they aren't novices, but aren't considered full guild members either. Most guilds and cities keep track of other org novices, in an attempt to prevent people from attacking true newbies, and just to give novices a chance in general to figure out what is going on in the game. With COL, NOV, GR 1 and GR 2, there are sometimes as many as 4 different titles per "novicehood" to keep track of. Instituting a simple, one time only command also allows a hard coded mechanical point around which to explain to novices that they are leaving the point in their lives where they are being protected, and entering the game fully.

I can't even tell you how many times I've spoken with novices and had to explain to them why they are arbitrarily being expected to know this or that, or are being expected to act according to a different set of rules simply because they had logged in for X amount of time.
    edited December 2013
    I propose mini player factions! Why? Because we have a place that's twice the size of any organization in the game and more comms than most cities...
  • I agree with Parua. Even as a more experienced player, I like that feature on other IRE games because it gives a chance to test unfamiliar classes without being forced to commit to them if you decide you don't like the skills. Less of a time and lesson less, imo, with no real downside. Guilds can already arbitrarily decide to give novices additional requirements(even if they probably shouldn't), all this would do is give the novice control over some part of it themselves.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    the second one, please.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.