Simple Ideas

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Right, I'm just mentioning that chosen guides aren't allowed to let people know there exists such a thing by sending them a tell with the help file.
  • Guides should definitely be allowed to tell newbies to change their names. If they're not, then that's silly and should be changed.
    The way it works, guides set a flag on a novice who has a poor name, and the system presumably notifies/pesters them about it automatically in some fashion until it gets changed, or the flag is removed by an admin,

I've never been on the receiving end of it, so I can't be more specific about what it does, but that system is supposed to be the way novices are told to change their name. Presumably this is so no resentment gets attached to a player or persona, but it might also stem from some poor methods of hinting at HELP NAMECHANGE in the past.
  • Just because I'm tired of mosquitos in Tolborolla biting me while harvesting: Make aggro stuff not be aggro if the target is more than 20 levels above it or something similar.
  • If someone's name bothers you, you can be sure it bothers the admin too. It may have slipped past them for now, but they'll catch it sooner or later. Whoever has an inappropriate name and is active, will eventually have it changed. They can let them namechange even if they have already namechanged, or even if it's past the time limit, or even if they don't want to (pulling them out of the game until they do) etc. Basically, you don't have to worry about it - just ignore it until an admin picks the guy up.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Lerad said:
    If someone's name bothers you, you can be sure it bothers the admin too. It may have slipped past them for now, but they'll catch it sooner or later. Whoever has an inappropriate name and is active, will eventually have it changed. They can let them namechange even if they have already namechanged, or even if it's past the time limit, or even if they don't want to (pulling them out of the game until they do) etc. Basically, you don't have to worry about it - just ignore it until an admin picks the guy up.
    You never know, I had to have a passionate argument via messages with an admin to have someone pushed into changing their name -again- after their second choice was 'Alucard'.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Lavinya said:
    As a cheap artifact (equivalent of a bubble of popularity maybe) or bookbinder craftable item -

A physical design catalogue. You buy one per cartel, it allows people to interact with it using commands similar to the one people in the cartel use, and lists the full catalogue, as well as enabling people to look at individual items, maybe also search for designs by comms/designer/appearance etc. Maybe also defaults to show public designs on request too. Your friendly tradesperson can loan you their catalogue, you can flip through it, pick which design you want, then have them make it. No more explaining the examined of a dozen different designs in tells to find one that's suitable, no more directing people out of the game to look at a paste bin list of designs. Everyone wins!

I know similar ideas and requests have already been brought up. If the price is low (and I would throw up to 20 credits each or so on one) you'll probably find plenty of people willing to invest in one, and boy it will make life easier! Perhaps also a cheaper version for that person's city cartels?
    Maybe a syntax like TOUCH <design number> IN <book's noun/number> to view the design? Also, the pages would be different categories of things that can be designed. So, in the case of a Bookbinder, a page for scrolls, a page for books, a page for compendiums, a page for kirigami, etc.
  • I would rather it be a craftable item than an artifact
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2014
    Enyalida said:
    The way it works, guides set a flag on a novice who has a poor name, and the system presumably notifies/pesters them about it automatically in some fashion until it gets changed, or the flag is removed by an admin,

I've never been on the receiving end of it, so I can't be more specific about what it does, but that system is supposed to be the way novices are told to change their name. Presumably this is so no resentment gets attached to a player or persona, but it might also stem from some poor methods of hinting at HELP NAMECHANGE in the past.
    Sorry about the delayed post.

Basically, as far as I am aware, a guide has the ability to flag an inappropriate name, which after a set circle, it will start warning the person every time they gain a circle that their name is inappropriate.  If they do not heed the warning, they are placed in a stasis, where they can not do anything except change their name or ISSUE, appealing the name flag.  Once this is done, they can resume playing.  After someone passes 31st circle though, the guides have no control over them anymore and concerns about naming would likely have to be ISSUEd

Not sure how the admins would feel about ISSUEing names that you feel are inappropriate if there is not a guide available at the time - though particularly bad names (names you know would certainly be forbidden, or have profanity in them) would almost definitely be able to be ISSUEd, the admin would likely deal with them fairly quickly.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    Not sure how the admins would feel about ISSUEing names that you feel are inappropriate if there is not a guide available at the time - though particularly bad names (names you know would certainly be forbidden, or have profanity in them) would almost definitely be able to be ISSUEd, the admin would likely deal with them fairly quickly.
    I issued someone for a name once. The admins didn't really like it. So take it as you want.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Parua said:
    I would rather it be a craftable item than an artifact
    Obviously we would all rather have shiny things for free than pay credits for them. But that's never going to happen, let's be realistic. So what are you willing to throw a few credits at for their shiny benefits? These, I would pay for these.

• NochtNocht Glomdoring
    In most cases it's best to just let the admin or a guide deal with iffy names.

If it's something wildly inappropriate (vulgar/discriminatory), then it's fine to issue. The reason we normally don't like people to issue new players over their names is because it's likely to cause more confusion than help them. I think the guides/admin are usually pretty quick to address name issues with new players!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Lavinya said:
    Parua said:
    I would rather it be a craftable item than an artifact
    Obviously we would all rather have shiny things for free than pay credits for them.
    Clearly it should be a quest based curio collection then!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Heh. Why can't it be a craftable item, with an artifact 'omni' version, that holds all your trades/cartels?
    Tangentially related, but I'll take anything I can get in terms of shoving this repeated idea into the flow of conversation: syntax/item/whatever that allows you to view all of the designs approved with yourself flagged as designer.

Please.

Please.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • with some of the insane names we get, why not put a thing in honors/honours pronouncing how to say the name next to he name or something, I would personally love that
    Makodi said:
    with some of the insane names we get, why not put a thing in honors/honours pronouncing how to say the name next to he name or something, I would personally love that
    If they can encode the IPA symbols I'd be 100% for this.
  • Zouviqil said:
    Makodi said:
    with some of the insane names we get, why not put a thing in honors/honours pronouncing how to say the name next to he name or something, I would personally love that
    If they can encode the IPA symbols I'd be 100% for this.

even if that isn't possible maybe breaking it down like Makodi [Mah-co-dee] or something like that
    TELL <person> Hey how do you pronounce your stupid name.

Boom.

-

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    If we're typing it, why do we need to know how to speak it out loud?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • So we know how to rhyme it in filthy limericks. Obviously.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    Tridemon said:
    So we know how to rhyme it in filthy limericks. Obviously.
    How am I supposed to write songs/poems/etc praising anyone when I can't rhyme their name?

Example: Soll.

Soul? Sole? Hint: if you think these two are pronounced the same, you've already touched upon the problem.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Poetic license will allow you to sidestep any rhyming concerns.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Rhyming is for weaklings. Make a poem without rhymes, show yourself to be a true manbard.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Soul and sole are the same sound where I'm from.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Everiine said:
    Soul and sole are the same sound where I'm from.
    Soul here sounds like "sʊəl", and sole like "sol". New York City.
  • Completing the undervault epic should give you a Kephera/Illithoid undervaultbix...

Or at least have more mobs recognize you as being a hero to the respective sides. <.<
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.