Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    edited January 2015
    Ventidius said:
    Selenity said:
    Ssaliss said:
    ... Do you intend to post all possible states the puzzle can start in, and how to solve it from that state?
    Yes, exactly, @Ssaliss.

Also, @Ventidius, it's just a matter of neatness.

Well being books have unlimited space, how about a journal and you just fit the parts onto 9 pages out of a journal's 20. Simple is sometimes best in my opinion.
    Then it won't be viewable easily. They're written and visual solutions to the puzzles in question.

Edit: But good idea.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited January 2015
    I think you're bluffing.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Oneiroi said:
    If you try to do that and then submit it, the library admin will saddle you with a 10,000 day true disfavour. And will then reject it. 
    Good thing it's for a manse library then that'll be accessible to only allies, huh? :D

I wouldn't dare submit it for prestige or the actual library-library.

By the way Oneiroi, when am I having your spawn? I'm a woman of my word.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Portius said:
    Different formatting than the Elder Wars for sure, to suit the different sort of narrative. But I'd definitely like to see something of similar scope for the Vernals.
    Someone proposed recording crystals that could be plugged into a stage. Imagine instead of someone reading a book, the 'winner' of an event got to install the recording at their org's stage and everyone watched the scene unfold there. :x
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Selenity said:
    Akyaevin said:
    I think it's more important to make sure all your books match (assuming they're like An Encyclopedia of Seren Fauna, Vol I through IV or that sort of thing, and not entirely separate).
    It's... actually a puzzle solution encyclopedia for ONE sort of puzzle...

... if anyone wants to help me with math:

Part 1: One page
    Part 2: 9 pages
    Part 3: 36 pages
    Part 4: 84 pages
    Part 5: 126 pages
    Part 6: 126 pages
    Part 7: 84 pages
    Part 8: 36 pages
    Part 9: 9 pages

The lengths books come in are as follows:
    Scroll: 2 pages
    Journal: 20 pages
    Book: 50 pages
    Tome: 100 pages

... halp.
    I don't think anyone is going to want to read 126 pages to solve a puzzle. If there's enough data to map out all these solutions, you can probably articulate the strategy in a clear enough form that people can apply it to any state of the puzzle. Maybe compile one of the smaller books as an example, and then provide an analysis of the strategy.
    I used to make cakes.

Daraius said:
    Selenity said:
    Akyaevin said:
    I think it's more important to make sure all your books match (assuming they're like An Encyclopedia of Seren Fauna, Vol I through IV or that sort of thing, and not entirely separate).
    It's... actually a puzzle solution encyclopedia for ONE sort of puzzle...

... if anyone wants to help me with math:

Part 1: One page
    Part 2: 9 pages
    Part 3: 36 pages
    Part 4: 84 pages
    Part 5: 126 pages
    Part 6: 126 pages
    Part 7: 84 pages
    Part 8: 36 pages
    Part 9: 9 pages

The lengths books come in are as follows:
    Scroll: 2 pages
    Journal: 20 pages
    Book: 50 pages
    Tome: 100 pages

... halp.
    I don't think anyone is going to want to read 126 pages to solve a puzzle. If there's enough data to map out all these solutions, you can probably articulate the strategy in a clear enough form that people can apply it to any state of the puzzle. Maybe compile one of the smaller books as an example, and then provide an analysis of the strategy.
    This would also be a good idea, if I wasn't just bruteforcing all the solutions one by one to figure them out. Taking the time to find the algorithms used, at least in my head, would take longer. But my head is a very strange place, as if my previous post on tweets didn't prove that already...
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    What puzzle are we talking?
    Enyalida said:
    Lights Out.
  • edited January 2015
    Selenity said:
    Enyalida said:
    Lights Out.
    That puzzle you do to empower the throne? It is not that complicated as to need over 100 pages.
    Ventidius said:
    Selenity said:
    Enyalida said:
    Lights Out.
    That puzzle you do to empower the throne? It is not that complicated as to need over 100 pages.
    There are 511 solutions total, depending on the number of lights on you're given to start with.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Different versions have slightly different rules too. It's best to game it like a Rubix cube, where you're looking for a start pattern and have a strat from there, instead of doing every possible start state
  • If you're going to insist on doing it that way(which, by the way, is a terrible idea. rotations alone mean you're quadrupling your workload by brute forcing every individual state), I would suggest organizing it by binary. Put 128 states into a journal, the first with top left and top middle off, the second with tl off tm on, third tl on tm off, fourth tl on tm on. From there, divide the 16 pages according to the next four nodes, and have eight states per page corresponding to the bottom row of lights.

That being said, I'm counting about fifty distinct states, accounting for symmetries. One is a win condition, three are single-step solutions, and one is an inversion. (Inversion is super easy, by the way. Hit all corners and the center, should work on any rule set I've seen)
  • Aeon and Paralysis changed in same overhaul. Aint no one leaving their manses till vadi sends them changes. Lockdown mode, initiated.

(Also will be witnessing certain individuals that will attempt to take advantage of the situation...who im guessing we can all already assume who that will be).
    edited January 2015
    Tweet.
    I used to make cakes.

• Selenity said:
    Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I assume the second I go into enemy / off-prime territory I run the risk of being killed by anyone who wants to kill me for whatever reason they have. It maybe isn't the way things should be, but in my opinion, it's the way things are. It is better to assume there is no safety waiting for you in such areas than to assume that whenever you occupy the same space as an enemy / someone you participated in a conflict event with just moments ago.

Even when I went to speak alone with Eliron in a manse to discuss the events going on in game, I had an aura of rebounding up just in case he decided to flip his shit and kill me. And people told me he's a noncom!

Never assume as a player that the enemy is going to play fair or be friendly when it comes to combat. Never ever ever. If they are, don't assume they will do it again.
    I think a lot of people are used to MMOs where you're safe everywhere except in 'raid zones'. Your attitude seems more in line with Lusternia's apparent design, that of stepping off prime is risky. A lot of people want the rewards of being off prime (herbs, hunting areas, essence, etc) without the risk.

For those of us used to the harsher Lusternia of old (the one where people would kill you for your pilgrims, scholars, and bards), enemy you for just being merian, etcetera, it seems the pendulum may has swung a bit too far towards the other way, but IMO probably only a bit.

The village probably should keep its peace for a few more minutes that way walls can't be put up to try and trap people.

I spent a lot of effort being one of the last to leave domoths to try and make sure everyone is out. Just being on a bubble opens the person to the possibility of attack. If the admin wanted to they could put in a portal which opened for a time back to the seal on prime. Not saying they should, just pointing out that the design of domoth battles may be to take on the risk of getting away.
  • Arcanis said:
    Aeon and Paralysis changed in same overhaul. Aint no one leaving their manses till vadi sends them changes. Lockdown mode, initiated.

(Also will be witnessing certain individuals that will attempt to take advantage of the situation...who im guessing we can all already assume who that will be).

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Dear Diary:

I've been in this manse for hours making purity dust wafers. This spatula is starting to look tasty, but if it poofs, my production will be cut in half and the Basin will yell at me. Just need 10k more wafers for today's quota.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Cannot find an acquisitio enchant anywhere. Quite sure I didn't mangle the spelling. Shopkeepers, here's an opportunity to make gold. Get on it, please? :D
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    edited January 2015
    These big astral hunts are wonderful but one day I'm going to get something like Sylandra tells you, "Please don't hate your spouse!" and Daraius will implode.
    I used to make cakes.

Akyaevin said:
    Selenity said:
    Enyalida said:
    Lights Out.
    Holy crap why would you do it like that.

My brain is a mysterious, mad place that even I do not wholly understand...

Tho thanks for the suggestions. I had gotten to 109 solutions as of like an hour ago, but I'll stop for now and figure out another way to go about this, I guess!
  • edited January 2015
    Selenity said:
    Akyaevin said:
    Selenity said:
    Enyalida said:
    Lights Out.
    Holy crap why would you do it like that.

My brain is a mysterious, mad place that even I do not wholly understand...

Tho thanks for the suggestions. I had gotten to 109 solutions as of like an hour ago, but I'll stop for now and figure out another way to go about this, I guess!
    Gaussian Elimination using a Galois field/finite field of 2 would more than do the trick. I actually found the code of a solver implementation (thank you StackOverflow) at http://www.keithschwarz.com/interesting/code/?dir=lights-out -- I'm sure somebody would be willing to convert it to Lua for you (or at least make a dll/so of the C++ version that could read the table, which would have been a better idea than the last hour I spent trying to convert array-heavy code from a 0-based language to a 1-based language).

Actually, if somebody reminds me tomorrow, I could probably just make that lib myself and put the code and lib up on Github.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just do it right now. Easier for all of us that way.

EDIT2: Guess who forgot to install Visual Studio last time they reinstalled Windows? That's right, I did. Might be a bit.
    I take no responsibility for the draining. I just whip things.
    I used to make cakes.

• <.< the jokes though, that is what did it.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    For the record, I'm not draining them, so people can stop sending me tells about it. :/
  • Altrea said:
    Gaussian Elimination using a Galois field/finite field of 2 would more than do the trick. I actually found the code of a solver implementation (thank you StackOverflow) at http://www.keithschwarz.com/interesting/code/?dir=lights-out -- I'm sure somebody would be willing to convert it to Lua for you (or at least make a dll/so of the C++ version that could read the table, which would have been a better idea than the last hour I spent trying to convert array-heavy code from a 0-based language to a 1-based language).

Actually, if somebody reminds me tomorrow, I could probably just make that lib myself and put the code and lib up on Github.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just do it right now. Easier for all of us that way.

EDIT2: Guess who forgot to install Visual Studio last time they reinstalled Windows? That's right, I did. Might be a bit.

The one in the Throne puzzle is a little unusual: 'clicking' a corner switches the central light off and on (it's diagonally adjacent, and is the only time when a diagonally adjacent light is switched). Clicking the centre does not change the corners. So an ordinary lightsout puzzle solver won't work.

Of course it's also only a three-by-three grid (512 possible solutions, one of which is 'do nothing'), so you can use a brute-force solver without worrying overmuch about efficiency even in something like Lua.

• Akyaevin said:

The one in the Throne puzzle is a little unusual: 'clicking' a corner switches the central light off and on (it's diagonally adjacent, and is the only time when a diagonally adjacent light is switched). Clicking the centre does not change the corners. So an ordinary lightsout puzzle solver won't work.

Of course it's also only a three-by-three grid (512 possible solutions, one of which is 'do nothing'), so you can use a brute-force solver without worrying overmuch about efficiency even in something like Lua.

... You just know how to make me sad, don't you? And Visual Studio had just finished downloading.

Brute force isn't as interesting, so I probably won't touch that.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Serenwilde just ruined Ascension for me.

This discussion has been closed.