Ascension 2015

Comments

• At an unprofessional guess, the lag probably has something to do with TCP congestion control. During busy simulations, my test server had more problems with periodic transfers(like mud IO), than constant streams of similar max throughput - I suspect the TCP state machine, or some intermediate node, was switching back and forth around the congestion thresholds. 
  • Do Beauty submissions need to be cartel-exclusive, or merely passed through the cartel. Ie: Can I make a Beauty design a public one?
  • @Vetala: Dccp (datagram congestion control protocol) might help, but only if everyone used Dccp instead of Tcp.  Since the protocol is still in research I guess we won't see that any time soon (and I've been waiting for almost 10 years now too).  I say damn the lag to Nil, full speed ahead towards Ascension!  .. And maybe Qos will come save us?
    </RANT>
  • @Delphas: There's plenty of TCP stacks, but in practice changing them is nontrivial and/or done in the application layer (destroying most benefits). Other transport layers have routing trouble.. even SCTP and rarely UDP get lost in translation still.

I tried tuning keepalive rates through winsock's options to normalize the rate but it ignored everything (maybe an NYI?). I tried doing it in application, too, and found that sending some noise in the form of long telopt subnegotiations (like big GMCP messages) was a rough but effective solution in extreme cases. I also found out that trying the same thing with repeated telnet NOOPs crashed every client I tested. Yikes!
  • Aerotan said:
    Do Beauty submissions need to be cartel-exclusive, or merely passed through the cartel. Ie: Can I make a Beauty design a public one?
    Can be a public one, afaik.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Well I did ask about tinkering boxes and pretty much got an 'I don't know, go test it' response. I'm not freaking out. I'm trying to make things clear for myself (and anyone else who is reading and wondering I suppose). There is no need for the rude and testy response. You think my questions are dumb? Maybe they are, but hey, I genuinely wanted answers. You can't say on one hand 'ask and I'll answer' and tell us to go test it ourselves on the other and that we are responsible (while not actually giving a clear answer). This is the only event that has this level of vagueness. I prefer concrete answers. Sue me. (Or continue snarking, that also works.)

• edited January 2015
    So, for a change of subject and general opinion on the matter, I felt the event leading up to current ascension was a bit lackluster this year compared to previous ones.

I feel like the Nemach event has alot of unfinished business there and several holes in the story, for example:

- Why didnt Nemach attempt to harm Roark? Upon his first capture, he swore vengeance against him and that it would his life's goal to destroy him...but he didnt even try to harm his fulcrux, let alone him. Heck, the Dread Lord of Contagion once killed Roark's eagle out of spite.

- What is the crack in the peak still about? It's still there, all ominous and threatening looking, but seems to have been forgotten.

- How did Nemach return to the Basin? How did he go unnoticed?

- How did he find Cimtri in the twilight realm? How did he get such a control over nature through her controlling a small fraction of fae?

- What were the mushrooms about and then worm trees?

- The worms didnt last very long...or feel very foreboding. Past events of ascension have seen the Basin on the brink of destruction, examples are Gnafia chaos, Iceangels and Zenos, Goloths. It just doesnt feel like it can compare to the past disasters.

- Technically, only the Nature seal is currently weakened, and the other 8 are perfectly fine. Why couldnt a god or mortals simply strengthen the nature seal as was done before? It really doesnt seem like much a crisis.

Sorry if this seems like a whine, but these have basically been rubbing me the wrong way for awhile now.

Edit: Just to add, I found the story of Mornhai and Cimtri to be beautiful and heartbreaking, not to mention a lovely reveal of hidden lore.
  • Eh, I doubt we've seen the last of the event storyline. Ascension itself has always been an excuse for a long event, not the events being an excuse for the ascension itself. There's been followup events post ascension for those past events you mentioned before. Hopefully some of your questions about why Nemach wasn't detected until he returned could be answered then, but otherwise, its up to you lore people to theorycraft. Isn't that what you guys like to do?

Nature and fae are very closely linked. Cimtri was also working on it long enough to corrupt a hearthstone of a vernal goddess. (I think they were vernals? I'm not as good at this lore thing) Brownies are also not just "a small fraction of fae", they're one of the main groups of fae used by both Seren and Glom.

I wasn't around for the worms bashing (enjoying my holiday) so I'm not sure how difficult they were, but well, the dominators weren't that deadly either... for me. They killed plenty of lowbies though.

Any of the seals being weakened has always required an ascension to fix. And the same thing happened in the previous year ascensions as well, anyway. The seals were only ever weakened. If any one of them were destroyed, my understanding was Kethuru would have broken free right then. I don't even recall if there was an ascension event where multiple seals were weakened. My impression was that it has always only been one seal being weakened. I could be wrong, though.

• Lavinya said:
    Well I did ask about tinkering boxes and pretty much got an 'I don't know, go test it' response. I'm not freaking out. I'm trying to make things clear for myself (and anyone else who is reading and wondering I suppose). There is no need for the rude and testy response. You think my questions are dumb? Maybe they are, but hey, I genuinely wanted answers. You can't say on one hand 'ask and I'll answer' and tell us to go test it ourselves on the other and that we are responsible (while not actually giving a clear answer). This is the only event that has this level of vagueness. I prefer concrete answers. Sue me. (Or continue snarking, that also works.)

You asked about the rules, and as promised, I gave you a direct answer about the rules. Tinkering is allowed. Music boxes are in tinkering. Feel free to crank away. This is not dumb. This is not vague. This is a genuine answer. 

If you want to know if it has any benefit, you will have to try it out for yourself. I was not and am not currently logged on to check for myself. Either way, you may bring and crank a music box for the Justice Seal. If you "genuinely want answers," in the meantime, you can very easily find out for yourself whether or not it requires a declaration to be effective. The answer, either way, does not change the rules!

My company made me watch this video on youtube of people stuck on an escalator, yelling for someone to come fix it instead of just walking down the steps. I wish I could find it. At any rate, you are responsible for deciding what things to use or not to use. I will tell you what is allowed (as I did), I won't spell out for you what has value.  

Cheers.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Well, you know what happened when Viravain played with the Nature Seal. Granted, Raezon(?) had something to do with egging Her on.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2015
    Saesh said:

My company made me watch this video on youtube of people stuck on an escalator, yelling for someone to come fix it instead of just walking down the steps. I wish I could find it.

Of course they would, @Saesh!  How DARE the company expect them to expend their valuable energy climbing up those vile stairs when they need to conserve as much of it as possible for being self-entitled customers!

(I apologise for the spontaneous implosion of any sarcasm detectors that may have resulted from my response)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Kagato said:
    Saesh said:

My company made me watch this video on youtube of people stuck on an escalator, yelling for someone to come fix it instead of just walking down the steps. I wish I could find it.

Of course they would, @Saesh!  How DARE the company expect them to expend their valuable energy climbing up those vile stairs when they need to conserve as much of it as possible for being self-entitled customers!

(I apologise for the spontaneous implosion of any sarcasm detectors that may have resulted from my response)
    I found the initial mentioning of it insulting enough, there was hardly need to elaborate on it. The meaning was clear enough, I am that kind of idiot.

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2015
    Lavinya said:

Kagato said:
    Saesh said:

I found the initial mentioning of it insulting enough, there was hardly need to elaborate on it. The meaning was clear enough, I am that kind of idiot.
    I wasn't aiming my comment at anyone, @Lavinya, (besides the people in the video itself - definitely not at anyone here) to be honest I was kind of trying to lighten the situation a little in my own (strange) way *hugs for you*  I do apologise if you took offense from it. :(
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    The offense was initially directed at me and taken as such already.

• SO! Moving on... Anything ``activated'' after the referee says ``Round 1... FIGHT!'' is right out.  If my raging case of Divine Heal flares up in the middle of the debate then I'm disqualified.  Pretty much anything performed outside the Cave of Justice (except shattering people so they cannot compete) is allowed?

I think I can work with this.
    </RANT>
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Why you don't just say, "Anything available to anyone who might be rogue is usable". No org effects, and so on. There's a few that might squeak by, like Moonchilde Charisma, but that's a lot easier to understand than "This but not this, this, or this." with no real correlation  between any of them.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    What about GoldenHorn in Tinkering? Seems to be allowed (as a 'tradeskill item'), but is essentially the enchantment form of Laetitia.

Also, sorry @Saesh, but I think you're being really insulting. I'm a little disappointed.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2015
    awake and cranky, disregard

• The only thing I'd ask for in Ascension is that the Knowledge Quiz try to be as explicit as they can in their questions, so as not to cause confused answers. More specifically, i'd really love it if the quizzer can state at which historical age their question is trying to focus on. For example:

Let's say it was asked "How many Vernal Gods have been raised in modern time?", this could be confusing as we are not sure if the quizzer determines modern time based on the Coming of Estarra, or after the end of the Vernal Wars, since there is a different answer to both ages.

Another question that I found in one of the quizzes that confused me slightly was (slightly paraphased) "When the fake Carakhan returned to the Basin, what did she have that the other did not?" I would have assumed the answer would be the golden pearl Drocilla had taken, but it seems the quizzer was looking for physical traits, which was that the fake one had legs and the true one had a tail. So if the question had been "What physical trait/aspect did fake carakhan have that the true did not", i'd have known the quizzer was inquiring about the tail.

Mostly, I just wish for a focus on the Ages, if the quizzer can simply say at the end of certain questions "After the coming of Estarra" or "During the Vernal Age", that would be great.
  • Eritheyl said:

What about GoldenHorn in Tinkering? Seems to be allowed (as a 'tradeskill item'), but is essentially the enchantment form of Laetitia.

All tradeskill items are allowed. Ego regen and activated skills are only disallowed if they do not fall under the allowed list (and tradeskill items are allowed).

Saesh said:
    Inevitably, but ego regen has been eliminated across the board for this competition for reasons noted. That is why the hell you can't Penumbra. 

I believe that argument has already occurred in previous years, actually.

edit: That's the thing about balance. Someone has to make the objective decision and, by definition in this context, that means some will lose something and some will gain something. Some people don't like losing things, and that's fine, but they aren't honestly interested in balance. The decision still has to be made in the end.  
    This is the statement that really caused me the most confusion, looking back. Because now we have a statement saying ego regen AND activated skills are fine if they're on the allowed list. So it's not an elimination of ego regen across the board.

Saesh may continue to infer that I am an idiot (which I still find highly rude and unprofessional coming from someone representing the admin, you want us to respect you, you should also use the same courtesy in your speech. I'm extremely unhappy about it and found it unwarranted. You didn't see me slinging insults at the admin) but I am genuinely confused by the seeming contradictions.

SO. Trying to make sense of this. Blanket statements don't seem to work here.

According to the rules, preparatory buffs are allowed. Would that include presetting Princess tarot? It's not a lot but beseeching princess will heal some ego also. Does that count as an activated ability?

Also, thankyou for the clarification re tinkered items.

• Arcanis said:
    The only thing I'd ask for in Ascension is that the Knowledge Quiz try to be as explicit as they can in their questions, so as not to cause confused answers. More specifically, i'd really love it if the quizzer can state at which historical age their question is trying to focus on. For example:

Let's say it was asked "How many Vernal Gods have been raised in modern time?", this could be confusing as we are not sure if the quizzer determines modern time based on the Coming of Estarra, or after the end of the Vernal Wars, since there is a different answer to both ages.

Another question that I found in one of the quizzes that confused me slightly was (slightly paraphased) "When the fake Carakhan returned to the Basin, what did she have that the other did not?" I would have assumed the answer would be the golden pearl Drocilla had taken, but it seems the quizzer was looking for physical traits, which was that the fake one had legs and the true one had a tail. So if the question had been "What physical trait/aspect did fake carakhan have that the true did not", i'd have known the quizzer was inquiring about the tail.

Mostly, I just wish for a focus on the Ages, if the quizzer can simply say at the end of certain questions "After the coming of Estarra" or "During the Vernal Age", that would be great.
    In general, 'modern times' means after the coming of Estarra (just to answer the specific example you mentioned), but we will be sure to be as explicit as possible for the Knowledge Challenge. Regarding your concern about the Carakhan question, though:

(taken from here) NEW QUESTION: "What physical trait did the false Carakhan possess which the true one lacked?"

Keep in mind, however, that the quizzes are intentionally built to be tricky and difficult, and the time limit scientifically calibrated to create heart palpitations. Under such an environment, certain details of a question might be missed!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Yomoigu said:

Arcanis said:
    The only thing I'd ask for in Ascension is that the Knowledge Quiz try to be as explicit as they can in their questions, so as not to cause confused answers. More specifically, i'd really love it if the quizzer can state at which historical age their question is trying to focus on. For example:

In general, 'modern times' means after the coming of Estarra (just to answer the specific example you mentioned), but we will be sure to be as explicit as possible for the Knowledge Challenge. Regarding your concern about the Carakhan question, though:

(taken from here) NEW QUESTION: "What physical trait did the false Carakhan possess which the true one lacked?"

Keep in mind, however, that the quizzes are intentionally built to be tricky and difficult, and the time limit scientifically calibrated to create heart palpitations. Under such an environment, certain details of a question might be missed!
    Whoa, whoa. I have a heart condition, you can't just do that. Do you even have a degree? Have you asked people to sign a release?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited January 2015
    According to my reading of the justice rules, these are all of the allowed abilities, artifacts/items, and buffs you might want to use. I may have missed something, especially for a newer skill, or one with some effect not obvious in the AB. I have placed question marks where I am unsure of the exact mechanics of a skill. It should be allowed still, it may just not help.

Relevant equipment, buffs, and abilities allowed:
    ===== Basics =====
    -Bromides
    -Sparkleberry
    -Healing Scroll

===== Common skills =====
    -Powers - Endowment of Vanity
    -Discernment - Discern
    -Dramatics (all)
    -Influence (all)
    -Highmagic - Netzach

===== Trade Skills =====
    -Lorecraft - Philosopher's stone
    -Bookbinding - Magic Tome
    -Bookbinding - Wetfold Origami?
    -Cooking - HeroFete
    -Enchantment - Beauty
    -Tinkering - GoldenBox
    -Tinkering - GoldenHorn
    -Tinkering - RoseGlasses?
    -Tinkering - Focus/Strongmind
    -Herbs - Herblore

===== Guild Skills =====
    -Astrology - Ascendant
    -Astrology - Lion
    -Harmonics - Spire*
    -Transmology - Mouth (scaled)
    -Transmology - Mouth (silver)?
    -Harmony - Lumphet?
    -Harmony- Akhooshlumang
    -Ecology - Transmigration (Vixen/Widow, sorry boys)
    -Music - BardicPresence
    -Telepathy - Hive Mind
    -Rituals - Fortuna
    -Rituals - Populus
    -Runes - Benign Prophesy
    -Shamanism - Bloom
    -Shamanism - Root
    -Tarot - Teacher?
    -Stag - Trueheart?
    -Stag - Sacrifice*

===== Races =====
    -Any racial/spec choice for stats (including -woods, if you must)
    -Illithoid - Illdrain
    -Kephera - HiveMind

===== Artifacts/$$$ =====
    -Great Rune of Charisa
    -Life Runes
    -Regeneration Runes
    -Genie Bottle Curios
    -Bard Gnewpie
    -Poteen Pot (Increased ego)

===== General Buffs =====
    -Throne/Tosha
    -Karma - Beauty
    -Truefavors (!!)

===== Constructs =====
    -Moonaura (The Living Altar of Lunar Glory - Serenwilde)
    -Spike (The Iron Machine of the Tainted Fury - Magnagora)

*These can be used to enter the debate with a higher initial ego than usual, though not a higher
    max ego. The benefit to doing this is arguable.

One question: Is the duration on Paradigmatics - Reimagination sufficiently long to qualify as a 'permanent buff'? Netzach lasts an hour, and I suspect it is on the 'okay' list. Reimagination on self is significantly shorter, but still more than long enough to be applied beforehand and last through even the longest of debates.

EDIT: Added constructs and Telepathy - Hivemind
    EDIT2: Added Poteen.
    On my 'dubious import' list are the following:
    -Veneration - Presence: Does 'soothe your ego' refer to an ongoing ego regen or ego cure tick? If not, you can use this.
    -Moonwater: This might cure debate afflictions?
    -Wicca - Maiden/Sacraments - Benediction: I'm unsure of the exact effects of these buffs, might help.
    -Aeonics - Alacrity/FutureGlimpse: FutureGlimpse might dodge debate afflictions. I'm unsure of the timescale of Alacrity. If it's long term, it would help (and be allowed).
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Lavinya said:

According to the rules, preparatory buffs are allowed. Would that include presetting Princess tarot? It's not a lot but beseeching princess will heal some ego also. Does that count as an activated ability?

You need to actually BESEECH PRINCESS, so yes, it is an activated ability and disallowed (IMO).
    Yep. There are some other funny disqualifications. Harmony - Anguti looks like it would rock, and be really useful... but it's a heart mantra, and therefore it spawns ego regeneration through the later 'regeneration' ability. Oops!
  • Yomoigu said:

Arcanis said:

Huh...I completely skipped the physical trait part...my bad.

Thank you for replying. My concern was mainly due to a very old quiz (found log of some time ago) where a question was asked about vernal raised and Marilynth was part of the count & answer needed, so generally is why im asking for specific age times.

Additionally, and I know it isnt my place to suggest such things, but could we try and avoid long winded answers that require multiple names? Such as, one question once was "Who are the currently raised ascendants?" and at the time there were alot of names (back then anyone could be raised for 2 mil and could have as many ascendants as you want). Only reason is, trying to type down all names and attempting to remember if you got them all, can be flustering on an already time-limited and heart-racing quiz.