Ascension 2015

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Lavinya said:
    Saesh said:
    Inevitably, but ego regen has been eliminated across the board for this competition for reasons noted. That is why the hell you can't Penumbra. 

I believe that argument has already occurred in previous years, actually.

edit: That's the thing about balance. Someone has to make the objective decision and, by definition in this context, that means some will lose something and some will gain something. Some people don't like losing things, and that's fine, but they aren't honestly interested in balance. The decision still has to be made in the end.  
    This is the statement that really caused me the most confusion, looking back. Because now we have a statement saying ego regen AND activated skills are fine if they're on the allowed list. So it's not an elimination of ego regen across the board.

Saesh may continue to infer that I am an idiot (which I still find highly rude and unprofessional coming from someone representing the admin, you want us to respect you, you should also use the same courtesy in your speech. I'm extremely unhappy about it and found it unwarranted. You didn't see me slinging insults at the admin) but I am genuinely confused by the seeming contradictions.

SO. Trying to make sense of this. Blanket statements don't seem to work here.

According to the rules, preparatory buffs are allowed. Would that include presetting Princess tarot? It's not a lot but beseeching princess will heal some ego also. Does that count as an activated ability?

Also, thankyou for the clarification re tinkered items.
    Ego regeneration when it comes to skills is not allowed. I misspoke with that particular sentence. As was explained, ego regeneration is not allowed unless it falls under one of the "allowed" categories. 

Princess tarot must be activated mid debate to have any benefit, so it is not allowed. 

You opened this conversation accusing me of scolding, "wagging my finger," and misrepresenting my explanation, then stating I was being vague for answering your question about the rules but openly stating I was unable to answer your question about declaration. I admit being repeatedly accused of doing things I was not doing while I was attempting to be helpful put me on a defensive footing when it should not have, and for that and my subsequent tone which was unwarranted regardless of my reasoning, I do apologize. Your line of questioning was a valid one, and you my unconditional apology for my reaction. 
  • With ascension only 3 days away, can we get tweets back now please? :)
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited January 2015
    Only if people don't flip their lids* when their names are tagged!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    We'll tbh that's why it got closed to begin with, I don't know why you'd flag someone telling the truth, even if it's a bit abrasive
  • annnd there goes any chance of it being opened.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    There, I removed the offending word and replaced it with a more vanilla one, feel free to unflag now as the post doesn't break any forums rules.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Real talk though, I think a place to vent frustrations would be better instead of having it leak into other threads.

Like say, the ascension thread
  • The annoying thing is it's adults policing adults for behavior. I mean, come on. We all know how to act.

I'd wager admin are just afraid that our forum spats are going to be read by prospective newbies and seen as a contentious place. But I would see a serious passion whenever people gripe about x side this and y side that.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maybe we just need to have a non-policed, hidden area of the forum for people over a certain forumrank.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Crumkane said:

As a community, we should know when we've gone beyond a harmless argument and into attacking a person, and it is usually this extreme that results in threads being closed. If we all could maintain a level of respect for each other, even inherently negative threads like Rants would be possible, as you would argue on topics rather than attacking someone personally.

This. I do wish certain individuals that seem to have some sort of blindeye to harassment, would understand when  they are obviously overstepping bounds in attempts to purposely get a rise out of players.
  • Back on the topic of Ascension: Any comments, concerns, questions about War? The plan is to run it the same as last year, but I know it's one of those challenges where's there's always questions of "Is X allowed?".
  • Oneiroi said:
    Back on the topic of Ascension: Any comments, concerns, questions about War? The plan is to run it the same as last year, but I know it's one of those challenges where's there's always questions of "Is X allowed?".

Hmm, well technically, if I recall correctly, ascended players are not allowed to compete in other challenges such as Knowledge and Justice, so I suppose it should be the same for war.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:
    Oneiroi said:
    Back on the topic of Ascension: Any comments, concerns, questions about War? The plan is to run it the same as last year, but I know it's one of those challenges where's there's always questions of "Is X allowed?".

Hmm, well technically, if I recall correctly, ascended players are not allowed to compete in other challenges such as Knowledge and Justice, so I suppose it should be the same for war.
    They are allowed to compete in War. They just can't win a seal.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited January 2015
    Arcanis said:
    ... What?

True Ascended players are not allowed to participate in other Challenges because they don't need to have another seal. Every year's ascension's seals need to be held by 9 candidates who can be ascended. Participating in war, however, won't give them a seal even if they win, as long as they have a non TA in the team. Why shouldn't they be allowed to participate? This isn't a "to be fair and equal" kind of thing. This is purely logistical: every player should be allowed to participate in all challenges. The only reason TAs can't do so in some are because they need a non TA to hold a seal. Therefore, the only war team that won't be allowed to participate would be a team that has 3 TAs.

Man, war is my only joy in ascension aside from grief. Don't take that from me too :(
  • Will the War challenge be done with the Overhaul shells/
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Aerotan said:
    Will the War challenge be done with the Overhaul shells/
    You mean the 4 bards that were supposed to be overhaul shells? That's all that's available for overhaul shells, mind.... 4 bards.

While I'm not an admin, I'm going to say this. The answer is no.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Aerotan said:
    Will the War challenge be done with the Overhaul shells/
    You mean the 4 bards that were supposed to be overhaul shells? That's all that's available for overhaul shells, mind.... 4 bards.

While I'm not an admin, I'm going to say this. The answer is no.
    Only having 1 viable shell allowed never stopped Super Smash Bros. Melee from being huge. Hugely popular, too. Point taken, though.
    Fox falco puff peach marth sheik are all viable at top tier. I follow pro smash pretty religiously!

The current system works for war as far as I am concerned. We get to be reprehensible again, haw haw.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Fox for TA 2015!!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Can't let you do that, starfox.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    That's Star Princess Fox to you.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited January 2015
    Lerad said:
    Arcanis said:
    ... What?

True Ascended players are not allowed to participate in other Challenges because they don't need to have another seal.

...ooookay, so basically the same thing I said, just with the reasoning behind the 'why'..

Lerad said:
    Arcanis said:
    This isn't a "to be fair and equal" kind of thing. This is purely logistical: every player should be allowed to participate in all challenges. The only reason TAs can't do so in some are because they need a non TA to hold a seal. Therefore, the only war team that won't be allowed to participate would be a team that has 3 TAs.

While the concept to allow all to have a good time is a resounding common mission for all games, it should also be considered that these players have already basically won this annual contest and are one of the few that have received the special perks for it. I think it is enough of a fair trade to ask them to not compete in the other competitions as to allow other players a chance to also win as they have. Should non-ascended players have to face up against ascended ones in war? Did those same ascended players have to have such a difficulty? Surely not.

Besides, they are still allowed to compete in the most important part: The Finale. I dont see the relevance of you insisting ascended be allowed to fight in war, if anything it seems unfair to other aspiring players.
  • Since the topic is War. How about not rescheduling it because the turn out is not liked?
    Well considering VA's have exactly the same powers as TA's and they allowed to participate, I don't think there will be much difference.

I definitely have a horse in this race since War is the only event I can "officially" join, so I don't see why I can't be allowed to help a teammate get a seal in this manner. Is it really so much different than the 100 other ways I can personally help someone win other events without actually joining it? I can still gank people in Death, debate in Harmony, lead people in Nature, skype answers in Knowledge, group up in Chaos, etc. 
  • Arcanis said:
    Lerad said:
    True Ascended players are not allowed to participate in other Challenges because they don't need to have another seal.
    ...ooookay, so basically the same thing I said, just with the reasoning behind the 'why'..
    No, it's not the same thing you said. You said this:
    Arcanis said:
    In other words: "They can't participate in Knowledge and Justice, so they should not be able to do so for War." This is quite clear, almost verbatim, unless my reading comprehension is somehow amiss, which I doubt. The only reasoning in what you said, implied or explicit was that "it should be the same". What I said was that "they don't need to have another seal" for Justice and Knowledge, and that it's fine if they participate in War because they won't get the seal even if they win. What we both said are definitely not the "same thing".

Arcanis said:
    While the concept to allow all to have a good time is a resounding common mission for all games, it should also be considered that these players have already basically won this annual contest and are one of the few that have received the special perks for it. I think it is enough of a fair trade to ask them to not compete in the other competitions as to allow other players a chance to also win as they have. Should non-ascended players have to face up against ascended ones in war? Did those same ascended players have to have such a difficulty? Surely not.

Besides, they are still allowed to compete in the most important part: The Finale. I dont see the relevance of you insisting ascended be allowed to fight in war, if anything it seems unfair to other aspiring players.
    If the concept to allow all to have a good time is a "resounding common mission" for all games, then why don't you consider the fact that these players are already being penalized by not being able to join 8 out of 9 of the competitions just because they won the annual contest once before? Why are you then trying to take even the last one away? Why are you only considering those who have to "face them" in 1 out of the 9 competitions? Are ascended players any less a player, any less entitled to fun just because they've won once already?

Secondly, the same ascended players most certainly did have to face ascended players when they were trying for War in all the previous years, with the exception of the first year (and maybe the second, perhaps) and if anything is unfair, it would be to these players who won despite having to face their own ascended opponents if we suddenly make it so that all future aspiring players no longer have to.

• Lerad said:
    Arcanis said:
    ... What?

Except TAs are forbidden from competing at all, not simply from taking a seal. We can't win credits either - except in War.
  • Yeah, that's a side effect of not letting you compete because they don't want you to win, accidentally or otherwise, and get a seal. And apparently, in the one competition you can take part, win and not run the risk of grabbing a seal away from someone who isn't a TA, you "should not" take part just because. Mmhmm. I don't know about you, but if I were a TA, I won't be very happy about such a change going in.