Simple questions?

Comments

• So it's expensive to just drop a huge money bomb and omni trans everything, but it's a lot cheaper to learn over time via promotions and Elite membership.

Elite membership starts with 100 credits a month (plus 5 more, up to...125 I think for renewing subsequent months), as well as lessons a day for logging in. You also get 20 dingbats which you can sell for another 20 or more credits. 

So you can realistically trans a skill every two months. 

You can also wait for the sweet promotions. Present promotions and wheel promotions can net you huge sums of credits at much lower prices, though you are a bit at the whims of the RNG gods. I've financed my artifact pile this way. 

Or you can wait for the 30% sale which happens a few times a year, and with elite on top of that, you get 140% the credits for your money. 

So if you aren't like  me and need immediate gratification, these are cheaper ways to go.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Sylandra said:
    Also friendly reminder that if you are artistically inclined, you can make sweet bank on artisanals and bardics. Even merit is, what, 50 credits?
    I cannot recommend this enough. Even if you don't think you could do better than merit, it's worth it to try for the free credits. Lusternia would be a completely different game to me if it wasn't for artisanal credit income. Sometimes I look at the actual cost of credits and think "ew, no." 
  • Yep. Essentially, there are three "grades" of artisanal and bardic awards; either one, two or four points. Each point gives you 50 credits, and every 200 (cumulative) points grants you another rank of artisan, along with a reward of (I think?) 100 credits on top of the other reward. So there's plenty of credits to be made through those avenues.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Yep. Essentially, there are three "grades" of artisanal and bardic awards; either one, two or four points. Each point gives you 50 credits, and every 200 (cumulative) points grants you another rank of artisan, along with a reward of (I think?) 100 credits on top of the other reward. So there's plenty of credits to be made through those avenues.
    It is every 4 points that gets you a rank. Each rank reward is equal to rank times 100. (so rank 3 gives 300 credits)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Bhiozheth said:
    Since I'm digging the game (influencing is pretty awesome and Illuminati is neato), and outside of that I'm interested in combat, I'm looking at spending some money over the summer on the game. Other than the newbie packages (I'll be buying those first obviously), around how many lessons/credits should I budget for if I want to really participate in group combat (the character I'm playing won't be sticking around for a 1v1)? And does the monthly sub option work out better in the long run?
    You don't actually have to trans all your skills. To be -helpful-, you'll want to probably trans Paradigmatics and ..uh...the one where you make flesh things. You'll probably also want Conglute in Planar, and some skill in other things.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Dumb question: how does one actually get their hands on a good number of dingbats? The help file says they're only available via certain promotions. How often does a dingbat promotion take place? It also says they can be traded; how much does a dingbat cost?
  • edited June 2016
    Dingbat is  equal to one credit.
  • You basically need to buy them from other people or wait for the promotions like Czingany or whatever.
  • So you might have to wait 2-4 months for another dingbat promotion I believe.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Yep. Essentially, there are three "grades" of artisanal and bardic awards; either one, two or four points. Each point gives you 50 credits, and every 200 (cumulative) points grants you another rank of artisan, along with a reward of (I think?) 100 credits on top of the other reward. So there's plenty of credits to be made through those avenues.
    It is every 4 points that gets you a rank. Each rank reward is equal to rank times 100. (so rank 3 gives 300 credits)
    Errh, yeah. How the heck did I manage to get 200 in there?
  • Dingbats can be gotten via the elite membership thing. You can get them as rewards from spinning the wheel, or from presents. Dingbat promotions, where you can "buy" dingbats, are quite rare, but with the different ways dingbats are pumped into the system (notably via the elite membership) you actually CAN get them without too much trouble.

Case in point, dingbats used to be worth 2 credits when they first came out. It's since dropped to 1, though that's also partly due to the inflation of credit prices (making credits worth more) but the deflation of dingbat value (due to more supply of dingbats) has also contributed.

Consistently advertising your wish to buy, looking out for sellers, and having a membership yourself will allow you to accrue large amounts of dingbats... but over time.

It has been sometime since the last dingbat promotion, so maybe there's one coming up soon. You never know.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Do any languages have real world 'equivalents'? Like, I see a lot of Welsh in Serenwilde, so I'm assuming Elfen is probably mostly Welsh, and the Krokani have a very Eastern Europe vibe to their names, so it feels like their language is probably Romanian, Polish, or Russian, and I think ancient Merian is Latin, but that might also be ancient Lucidian..?
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited June 2016
    Just because a certain fictional language might have some words that are ostensibly from a real life language, it doesn't make the languages equivalent. The words might not even necessarily have the meaning you'd expect.

Villagers from Delport use words that are French, but that doesn't make the language they speak French. It's Delportian, which may be its own language, or it may be a dialect of Common.

Krokani names do have East Slavic influences, but they don't speak East Slavic. In fact, in the Kryden Valik quest at one point Kiska, a krokani priestess, says something that is almost certainly borrowed from Welsh, but they don't speak Welsh either. They speak Krokanian.

Until a "borrowed" word is made canon by a writer, don't try to use it as if it has any meaning in the fictional world that they created. 
  • Can anyone explain 'Rebuff' in dramaturgy. I can't seem to get it to fire under testing. Thanks!

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Back when I was a dramaturgist, it essentially was my 'if you get me I'm taking you with me' skill. Someone would rad me out of our hub into theirs, and as I left my room they got pulled in by the skill. I'm not sure if they have to be an enemy or what specifics it is since it's been a while, but it definitely has its uses.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Falmiis said:
    Just because a certain fictional language might have some words that are ostensibly from a real life language, it doesn't make the languages equivalent. The words might not even necessarily have the meaning you'd expect.

Villagers from Delport use words that are French, but that doesn't make the language they speak French. It's Delportian, which may be its own language, or it may be a dialect of Common.

Krokani names do have East Slavic influences, but they don't speak East Slavic. In fact, in the Kryden Valik quest at one point Kiska, a krokani priestess, says something that is almost certainly borrowed from Welsh, but they don't speak Welsh either. They speak Krokanian.

Until a "borrowed" word is made canon by a writer, don't try to use it as if it has any meaning in the fictional world that they created. 
    This is a problem with anything that doesn't completely flesh out its conlangs and uses real world borrowed words so directly. When every source of Lusternian language is a copy from a real world language, it is probably assumed that the two languages are equal.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ayisdra said:
    Falmiis said:

This is a problem with anything that doesn't completely flesh out its conlangs and uses real world borrowed words so directly. When every source of Lusternian language is a copy from a real world language, it is probably assumed that the two languages are equal.
    Uh, no, it isn't.  They have (and will) roledock you for trying to use full-on French in-game as an example.  French does not exist, and Delportese is not French.  It just shares some words, is all.
  • Xenthos said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Falmiis said:

Uh, no, it isn't.  They have (and will) roledock you for trying to use full-on French in-game as an example.  French does not exist, and Delportese is not French.  It just shares some words, is all.
    While I'm not saying that isn't true, where is the line between using Delportian(/Delportese) and French, then? Why shouldn't someone be able to roleplay as a Delportian, using the village's own language?

(although I suspect the answer would be just to be to use emote and use "in delportian" to signal the language, rather than using actual non-common words, but I consider this just to be a cop out )
    Ayisdra said:
    Xenthos said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Falmiis said:

While I'm not saying that isn't true, where is the line between using Delportian(/Delportese) and French, then? Why shouldn't someone be able to roleplay as a Delportian, using the village's own language?

(although I suspect the answer would be just to be to use emote and use "in delportian" to signal the language, rather than using actual non-common words, but I consider this just to be a cop out )
    The line is "Use only the words they use".  It's not a cop-out, it's how they intend it to be used-- a few snippets for "uniqueness" and flavour, but not the whole language.  The rest of what they say is in English, after all.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Uh...I carried on full conversations in (bad) French with a God-possessed mob for weeks. Basically until I got bored of it and it was pointed out (in character) that I was screwing up the grammar and syntactic structures so badly it was hard to understand. That character was at full rolepoints for his entire existence. 
  • edited June 2016
    The "administration" is composed of many and ever changing number of people. There are inconsistencies, it happens, they're all human.

Last I heard, the official stance from the tippy top of the admin pyramid is that foreign languages as they exist in the real world do not exist in Lusternia. They borrow from the real world for flavor, but if it's not an available language in learn IG, it's safe to say the Admin who designed the game did not intend it to be a full fledged language in the game.

The closest thing that bends this rule is crow tongue, but that's not a fully fleshed language. More just a series of clicks and hoots for a handful of phrases. It also doesn't exist in the real world. 

• Alright this probably isn't what some of you want to hear but I'm going to say it anyway.

Ultimately, this falls into special snowflake RP territory. It may seem hilarious to the person playing it to speak in a non-English/Common language, but to everyone else it's not engaging at all and in many cases just looks like someone is trying to show off. This is true to a lesser extent for titles.
  • edited June 2016
    Okay Emperor. Who is showing off now?!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    If it's important, the reason I was asking was actually to set up a seal/motto, traditionally in a foreign language even if the owner can't actually speak, understand, or even identify the language beyond that phrase.

IRL they're traditionally in Latin, but I was wanting to fudge my way into Furrikini/Trill/Lucidian as thematic options. Seals/chops are, by their very nature, 'special snowflakey' but not unreasonably so in most cases.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    You can usually get away with short phrases (the Serenguard tribal cry, 'Feidmigh ar son Serenguard', was player-introduced. I think.).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Falmiis said:
    Alright this probably isn't what some of you want to hear but I'm going to say it anyway.

Ultimately, this falls into special snowflake RP territory.

AEROCAST BLIZZARD

Snowflakes for everyone. You're all welcome.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Sylandra said:
    Falmiis said:
    Alright this probably isn't what some of you want to hear but I'm going to say it anyway.

AEROCAST BLIZZARD

I feel like INVOKE WINTER is more accessible... AEROCAST BLIZZARD is kind of special-snowflakey itself!
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Xenthos said:
    Sylandra said:
    Falmiis said:

AEROCAST BLIZZARD

I feel like INVOKE WINTER is more accessible... AEROCAST BLIZZARD is kind of special-snowflakey itself!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."