Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

I have a problem with blatantly OOC custom beasts making it into an RP game. There's a reason there is a mechanic to police OOCness. In this sense, custom items should be held to the same standard as designed items. I mean, it's one thing to model your custom items off of OOC inspirations, but I'm sorry, you should not be allowed to walk around with a Charizard. Well written OOC items are still OOC items. Preston may not be the next Shakespear, but at least he kept them within the realm of the game he played. He tried. Tibbers is not trying. Tibbers is lazy.  

I mean, I get the admin implemented the item, which is the most common defense for painfully obvious OOC references, but we can't expect the admin to be experts on Pokemon, Star Wars, League of Legends, and every other aspect of nerd fandom so that they can police these things.

• I agree with that to a point. The problem lies in the fact that may of the NPCs are blatant reference to OOC sources, and condemning a player for having a pokemon or a giant pet bear, while turning a blind eye to the ones instated by the admin is an extremely unfair double standard.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Frankly, the very fact that it uses "it's" instead of "its" in more than one place is... well, very bad. Not to mention how it references the other weapon in its desc as well... Makes me wonder if the two descs are nearly identical.
    Parua said:
    I agree with that to a point. The problem lies in the fact that may of the NPCs are blatant reference to OOC sources, and condemning a player for having a pokemon or a giant pet bear, while turning a blind eye to the ones instated by the admin is an extremely unfair double standard.

Referencing is fine. Lots of us get our jollies from Hallifax borg references and Jolly Bundy the pseudo Santa. Just flat out copy and pasting names and descriptions from outsides sources is not fine. As much as I want a lightsaber, I know not to submit for a lightsaber. Because this isn't Star Wars and I am not your father.

To clarify, there are no admin created pokemon or League of Legends characters running around Lusternia. 

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Celina said:

As much as I want a lightsaber, I know not to submit for a lightsaber. Because this isn't Star Wars and I am not your father.
    You'd be beaten to the punch already anyway.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Celina said:
    Parua said:
    I agree with that to a point. The problem lies in the fact that may of the NPCs are blatant reference to OOC sources, and condemning a player for having a pokemon or a giant pet bear, while turning a blind eye to the ones instated by the admin is an extremely unfair double standard.

Referencing is fine. Lots of us get our jollies from Hallifax borg references and Jolly Bundy the pseudo Santa. Just flat out copy and pasting names and descriptions from outsides sources is not fine. As much as I want a lightsaber, I know not to submit for a lightsaber. Because this isn't Star Wars and I am not your father.

To clarify, there are no admin created pokemon or League of Legends characters running around Lusternia. 

It's a very fine degree of separation you are making, and I might even add an arbitrary one. I actually find the references worse, because they are much, much more common, and stand out from the world. A giant magic bear and a fluffy bird-dragon? Those match the landscape just fine. A laser sword? No, that wouldn't be at home. Weeky Pedia? That's awful. 9 times out of 10, I have found that the ooc references in the game don't fit in, and the the copy pastes do. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Elanorwen said:
    Shaddus said:
    And it's terribly written at that. :(

and I don't care how much you like Her, you'd better have Her permission to say She forged such an...interesting set of hammers.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these were most likely paid to be customized for 50cr a piece... and it's most likely that there was the approval of big T.
    If Terentia approved that, I'll eat my hat, your hat, and Estarra's hat.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celina said:
     I am not your father.
    You might be ;)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    You're always looking for an excuse to eat hats. Weirdo.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shaddus said:
    If Terentia approved that, I'll eat my hat, your hat, and Estarra's hat.
    But then I wouldn't be a faeling anymore... and you'd owe me 50db. As to the approval, I'm not saying big T actually read the whole thing. Chances are she was asked if she could be included, but was never given the final product to look at specifically. Still, in this case, I'm just guessing as I don't know how the process went... and really, at best, we all can only guess what happened to spawn the end result of those hammers.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Reading the description again, it just says it's "designed after" weaponry of Terentia's making, which I take to mean that they are copies of weapons Terentia made. Though it also says they are "of Terentian origin," which is a frustratingly vague statement. Thus, Terentia's approval may not even have been needed, or may have simply been as perfunctory as "hey is Preston in your Order/okay to mention you in his customisation request?" To me it's the lack of proofreading that's the worst thing, though. The descriptions of the two hammers, Boom and Clash, are also rather muddled, as far as I can tell. All in all, 2/10, reasonable concept with extremely poor execution, would not recommend hammers to others.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • edited May 2014
    He'll need to get better hammers if he wants to 'fuck the taint out of your skull with my hammers' lol
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited May 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Shaddus said:
    And it's terribly written at that. :(

and I don't care how much you like Her, you'd better have Her permission to say She forged such an...interesting set of hammers.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these were most likely paid to be customized for 50cr a piece... and it's most likely that there was the approval of big T.
    Wait, Terentia is active?

@Celina My biggest pet issue by far still is Elana's 'Tibbers' that matches her motto of Annie from League of Legends. Admin said they'd look into it, yet the pet still existed. 

@Parua I'll condemn the shit out of someone who is essentially recreating Annie :\
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I hate named weapons. I can't magically know you wield the legendary Boom and Clash of lore.
  • Shuyin said:
    I hate named weapons. I can't magically know you wield the legendary Boom and Clash of lore.
    But it is like you magically know the name of every person in the basin (or the name of NPCs by just looking at them.)
    To be fair, every time you probe a beast you learn its name. Out of the thousands of ponies to have existed in lusternia, this one is Grumpleclomp. Magic told me so.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Shuyin said:
    I don't really have a problem with them. Named weapons are common throughout all sorts of fantasy settings. Not only that, but in lusternia it's perfectly possible to squint into a room and know the name of people and mobs you've never even met before. Heck, apparently this even works fine for random animal mobs too. My only issue with named weapons was that people should have been forced to name their weapons along with a clearly identifiable item noun eg. "Namedsword, a sleek black rapier". They weren't, so we get annoying custom weapon names where you can't tell what the heck someone is wielding until they hit you with it.

In general though, people are paying credits to customize these items, and the main reason for doing it is you are actually allowed to do things the Charites would normally not allow. It saves you that headache and allows you to be extra-creative and have a truly unique custom item. It's one of the things that make lusternia so great - you're allowed to customize and create your character and their apparel how you envision it in your mind while being limited only by what's possible in that world. Preston's hammers clearly has some grammar and spelling problems, and in the past I've seen that you can get away with TYPOing any major issues. If you think his hammers have a lot of serious problems, including destroying immersion, you can also just ISSUE them. But try to be objective about the issues you see here, because just 'not liking' how someone's customized item looks is not a good reason to attack them - they customized it for their own happiness and satisfaction and they paid for that right.

Munsia said:

@Celina My biggest pet issue by far still is Elana's 'Tibbers' that matches her motto of Annie from League of Legends. Admin said they'd look into it, yet the pet still existed. 

@Parua I'll condemn the shit out of someone who is essentially recreating Annie :\
    Don't know if big T is active. Pretty sure the Divine isn't dormant... but doesn't do much with order/mortals.

To the second point... doubt anything will happen. The person in question paid a bucket load of credits to have said pet created. If admins wanted to do something about it, they could've done it before bringing it into existence. Otherwise, I'd expect them to be refunding full price... which I seriously doubt will happen.

To the third point... you're welcome to do so. That's why the snub command exists. And I doubt anyone is out and telling you what or how to RP either.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I have definitely TYPO'd pets and custom items others have, and they have been fixed pretty quickly.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Munsia said:

To the second point... doubt anything will happen. The person in question paid a bucket load of credits to have said pet created. If admins wanted to do something about it, they could've done it before bringing it into existence. Otherwise, I'd expect them to be refunding full price... which I seriously doubt will happen.

I'd imagine that given they've changed auction artifacts deemed too strong in past without a refund (even after it was initially issued), they'd be able to get away with changing something that's been determined to be too ridiculously OOC etc. The precedent is there

That being said, person in question doesn't really play that character anymore and it's by far not the worse pet I've seen. I personally don't think it's the end of the world or should be changed.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.

I was wondering how long before the "I paid for it, I can do what I want!" argument popped up.

This is such a stupid argument. I feel like if I have to explain the difference between being inspired by an OOC source and modeling IC ideas/characters/whatever after them and blatantly calling yourself Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, or having a pet Charizard because credits, or whatever then it's a lost argument to begin with!

The discrepency is that the rules which you are required to follow in every other aspect of the game haven't been universally applied to things customized with credits for one reason or another. You don't get to sit at the nexus and talk about League of Legends and pokemon. You will have your rolepoints docked. You don't get to pay credits to recover them. It's really freaking simple. Rather than taking personal responsibility and not being plainly OOC, people take advantage of the system and proclaim that because the admin haven't stopped them, it's totally allowed.

Celina said:

I was wondering how long before the "I paid for it, I can do what I want!" argument popped up.

This is such a stupid argument. I feel like if I have to explain the difference between being inspired by an OOC source and modeling IC ideas/characters/whatever after them and blatantly calling yourself Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, or having a pet Charizard because credits, or whatever then it's a lost argument to begin with!

The discrepency is that the rules which you are required to follow in every other aspect of the game haven't been universally applied to things customized with credits for one reason or another. You don't get to sit at the nexus and talk about League of Legends and pokemon. You will have your rolepoints docked. You don't get to pay credits to recover them. It's really freaking simple. Rather than taking personal responsibility and not being plainly OOC, people take advantage of the system and proclaim that because the admin haven't stopped them, it's totally allowed.

If you say so. If I send an email to artifacts and claim that I want Puff the Magic Dragon as a pet, then they take my money and give said pet to me, then 5 days later decide that just because John Smith feels that Puff breaks his immersion, I will have to change Puff to Cookie, the prancing pony, well I'll certainly demand a full refund and if needed take it all the way up the ladder. If they felt it was too dangerous to immersion, I'm sure they could have declined the purchase and if the person really wanted a pet, they'd have bought something that fits Lusternia better.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    And you might get that full refund (of credits). Problem solved!
    Karlach said:
    Implying that the admin responsible for the oversight were aware of the pop culture copying. Not everyone plays League.
    If only one could search for the name Tibbers somewhere... you know, like on a search engine or something... and get a result... That said, Elana's Tibbers is of a lavender colour, too... so not even an exact copy either.

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Right now in Glom...

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Oh, you're right ignoring someone literally copying a league of legends character for their 'roleplay' is totally how I should live my life. There's a reason why there's a help name file for the exact same reason. You're not clever for doing it, it's just proving a point against you.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk

The same way you ignore Kethuru.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • at least kethuru isn't a shameless letter-by-letter copy
This discussion has been closed.