Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Jesus, Silvanus. Can you take off your Celina Makes Me Cry hat for 3 seconds? What grass are you even talking about? 

I'm a healer SD with destruction. I have a ton of DMP, drink, health aura, and demi regen. My grass is perfectly green. Believe it or not (easier to believe when you actually read my posts before facesmashing a response), I didn't say researchers had it any better or worse than I do! 

As a guild that has extremely high DMP (Nightkiss) and extremely high regen (drink and health aura), mitigation is definitely important. I didn't rank the two versus one another, I just said they are both methods of reaching "tankyness." You can't really make an apples to apples comparison to regen and dmp. Mitigation is more obvious and "reliable" if you aren't really used to tracking regen tics (which aren't all that dicey, they are all on a very predictable timer). However, speaking personally, I find both to be extremely valuable. Regen ouside of racial regen, and I believe researchers have a gem and the option of healing, is definitely a huge factor in tankability. 
  • I find that I rarely have an issue if I can manage to get out of immediate danger-- for instance, if the banner carrier dies during an astral hunt and I can manage to fly out. Also, you're right, Healing is amazing. Once my regen has a chance to work on the problem, it's usually not a problem. The main issue is always burst damage that overwhelms regen before it has a chance to tick. I've not been using amber beer; I may have a look at that to see if it can offer just a little extra DMP. Most other stuff I do usually have up.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    What. You are wrong. You've done it a bajillion times, and I'll provide no information to my response.

There is a clear winner in mitigation versus recovery. It is mitigation. I've been one of the best recovery classes (Caco bard songs, faeling, spike from construct), and that is very clearly much worse at bashing than a Caco dwarf. The ceiling for the ability to recover is much much much lower than the ability to mitigate damage. If you are going for one or the other (in PvE), you always choose mitigation over regeneration.

So it really doesn't matter how well a Healing Institute recovers from, if they have terrible damage mitigation, they are still going to get womped in the first seconds of a large PvE battle (Kepheran queen rooms, icewynd pits).

If you have any questions of things to raise your DMP by @Ileein, just ask. AmberMalt can raise your DMP by 50 points, which is more than Nihilists get all together (or most classes?), and it's not something to overlook.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited May 2014
    Sometimes I wish customization was cheaper, or like, if I could get a bulk buy deal...

or they just give us customization tokens 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Out of curiosity, what is command rejection like at that level of dmp?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited May 2014
    I have the Charm of Clangoru, which was only 60 dingbats, one of the best dingbat arties you can get, which decreases the fumbling thing.

I'm also a Dwarf, and my tolerance is as high as it goes (an unabashed alcoholic). When I get to "feeling a bit tipsy" (which is the 2nd level of drunkness) is when I get to 40 DMP, and that's usually where I stop, because it's a nice balance between fumbling/damage mitigation (also, DarkBeer provides 40 DMP Buffness for PvP). Here is my Bodyscan Resistances when I get to that level (Feeling a bit tipsy):

Construct          BlackCrypt         All             5
    Construct          IronMachine        All             5
    Consumable         Amber Malt      All             40
    Racial             Alcohol Tolerance  All             73
                                                     All             123 

Also at this level of drunkness, I never fall over.

Editted to add: 5-10 sips of whiskey/hardliquor once every IG month/OOC day will raise your tolerance, it only takes ~2 weeks to get to an unabashed alcoholic.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    What? I've done what a bajillion times? God, it doesn't even matter. No one cares, I don't even care. Stop bitching about me, it's always just a rage filled distraction from the topic.

Like I said, I'm not ranking the two against one another, they are different paths to the same goal. I don't even know what this "if you have to choose one or the other" tangent is about. The reality is, generally speaking, it's rarely one or the other scenario. The discussion is that researchers may lack dmp, they are not "squishy" due to the comparatively high amount of reliable, hands off health regeneration.

You are 100% correct that mitigation is better for burst damage. Not all PVE, in fact the majority of PVE, is not massive bursting, and large regenerative abilities are extremely valuable in sustained high damage (but not necessarily "burst") areas, such as astral. For example, illusoryself provided an average of 50% damage mitigation and I kept it up on astral, on top of dodging and all  my bardy dmp. My mitigation was higher than that of an SD simply because of the flat 50% damage absorption. While my DMP remains a huge help, drink and health aura are what make me able to bash (read as perma link) pretty much any node on astral where I could not as a harbinger. 

I mean, you want both obviously. But hands off  health gains outside of the traditional ones are fantastic. There's a reason why the "tankiest" guilds have drink and harmony regen. Those that have a notable degree of hands off healing definitely can't be counted as "squishy."
  • I miss you guys. I even miss the forum nonsense. <3
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Narynth said:
    I miss you guys. I even miss the forum nonsense. <3
    I know where you've been! Playing around with a lesser game. </3
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    One more important note, particularly for @Ileein

Divine favours!

Nothing really enhances my bashing ability without negative effects quite like a Truefavour does. Drunk dmp can be good, but researchers in particular suffer from a lot of issues with command failures when managing gems. It's one of those vicious cycles that dictates Lusternian life - bash lots, offer more to gods, get favoured by gods more, bash more because you have favours, and so on.

I have truefavours a lot less frequently now, and it makes a big difference for me.
  • Neos said:
    Narynth said:
    I miss you guys. I even miss the forum nonsense. <3
    I know where you've been! Playing around with a lesser game. </3

>.>  

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I miss me a @Narynth. Come back to meeee.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I miss me a @Narynth. Come back to meeee.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    First Truefavour also gives you the all important 15% damage reduction shield. At least to my knowledge it's only the first, never seen them stack.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Yeah, the damage reduction shields don't stack, and I think it's actually strongfavors+ that do it.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
    Yeah, it's at an earlier level than TF but you still want those for the +2 weight to con and +1 all other stats.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Ankastra  :((

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Karlach said:
    Ankastra  :((
    I think you mean...

Ankastra  ;))
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ... All right, who the HELL approved Preston's hammer?
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited May 2014
    I did a double take when I saw them. Deer lord.

Preston is here, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. He wields "Boom" is a massive platinum warhammer, it's broad head spiked on one side and pronged on the other, that each blow with Clash might penetrate even as it inflicts blunt force trauma while the pronged side could be used to pry armor plates out of place on one's opponent. The broad side of the hammer has been polished to a sheen where the weapon's name "BOOM" can be seen engraved with industrial precision in merian across it's surface. Clash is of Terentian origin, being designed after the weaponry of Goddess Terentia's own making and bears her symbol on the opposite side of it's width that it's name is printed upon in his left hand and
    "Clash" the Terentian Warhammer in his right.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited May 2014
    And it's terribly written at that. :(

and I don't care how much you like Her, you'd better have Her permission to say She forged such an...interesting set of hammers.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2014
    Maligorn said:
    I did a double take when I saw them. Deer lord.

It's deer Lady, but you callllled?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shaddus said:
    And it's terribly written at that. :(

and I don't care how much you like Her, you'd better have Her permission to say She forged such an...interesting set of hammers.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these were most likely paid to be customized for 50cr a piece... and it's most likely that there was the approval of big T.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Also: Lol at "Boom" and "Clash."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daraius said:
    I know customizations can be a little more special snowflakey than ordinary designs, but shouldn't they at least be held to the same grammatical standards?
    Not saying that's not the case, but it is possible that they were never run through Charites, hence the problem.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

The admin, who appoint the charites, review and do the customizations. Remember Estarra posted about the customization backlog very recently. May have been pushed through hastily as a result.

Plus custom items are never really held to a high standard. The credits you pay allow for very large degree of freedom. That's why we have the stupid peppermint kitten. Didn't someone also have Tibbers, a blatant copy of League of Legends?

• Celina said:

The admin, who appoint the charites, review and do the customizations. Remember Estarra posted about the customization backlog very recently. May have been pushed through hastily as a result.

Plus custom items are never really held to a high standard. The credits you pay allow for very large degree of freedom. That's why we have the stupid peppermint kitten. Didn't someone also have Tibbers, a blatant copy of League of Legends?

I don't have a problem with Tibbers, Well, not a big one. As long as it's written well. Hell, Rika had a pokemon beast (an Altaria). So long as they are grammatically sound, have at whatever custom thing you want.

That hammer tho. =_=
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
This discussion has been closed.