Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I have wondered repeatedly whether aslarans should be nerfed. They have very little downsides for all that they offer on most guilds.

Thoughts?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited May 2013
    Llandros said:
    You have a sub optimal spec race and perfectly viable alternatives?

Welcome to the club.

That faelings, the smallest and weakest of races, do not make top tier facerolling warriors that rule the basin is clearly an injustice. Clearly.

Curse you cruel gods! Curse you!

Heh, the problem is we had that str point and it was taken away, along with reducing the balance bonus, despite not really being all that much better than aslaran to begin with and of course, we're still bitter about it. 

(I was also wondering how long it would be before someone popped in with a 'plight of the viscanti' complaint).

As far as aslarans go, I don't really see why they need nerfed, they're pretty solid all around, I don't think they're over the top or anything. Maybe a bit more explanation as to why people think this would change my mind, but I haven't really thought about it a whole lot

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    You can't nerf aslaran without demonstrating how aslaran warriors are too good. A nerf just to make other races more appealing is not a good idea.
  • Llandros said:

Welcome to the club.

That faelings, the smallest and weakest of races, do not make top tier facerolling warriors that rule the basin is clearly an injustice. Clearly.

The trouble is, I am not sure whether one could say that a faeling is a top tier caster race either. They have less intelligence and constitution than any other city/commune caster spec race, except for viscanti, the balance bonus doesn't do all that much, and I agree with Sidd that I don't really notice a difference with the bigger sips: You get bigger sips from having more con anyway.

We do however get 15 dex... what does dex do for a caster again?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Anyone else notice that the people who were nerfed because they were too good are now asking someone else to be nerfed because they are too good? Doesn't make the argument invalid, just interesting.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Dear random person who seems to make alts primarily to flirt and be annoying;

Please quit being all snuggly with other random "newbies" and distracting them. I'm trying to adopt the person you keep trying to get into the sack, and they don't need the distractions.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • My email account is now entirely filled with [Lusternia's Forums] X has answered your question: Blah.

I can set up a spam filter for it, but I'd really like an option to turn off email notifications for answers...
  • edited February 2014

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2013
    Everiine said:

Anyone else notice that the people who were nerfed because they were too good are now asking someone else to be nerfed because they are too good? Doesn't make the argument invalid, just interesting.

Shadowlords were never "too good," though. They were mathematically competitive with Elfen Lords when they had 18 str and a 15% balance bonus. During the last comprehensive racial overhaul it was decided that mugwumps should be faster, so balance / eq buffs were raised from 5% per to 7% per. This would have drastically sped up faeling warriors, so faelings were dropped to level 2 (14%).

That was the player end of the discussion. Once it went on to the test server Shadowlords had mysteriously lost a point of strength as well. Roark's response to me when I queried him about the matter was that he didn't think that point was a big deal, but alas, it is.

Edit: I also am not asking for any other race to get nerfed, here.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here

Everiine said:

I'm confused by how you see this. The only people who mentioned nerfs to aslaran are Rivius and Shedrin. I actually replied that I felt aslaran were solid and didn't need a nerf. I just want that +1 str point back, I don't think Faeling were too good before, I think they were right on the money and then they took that str hit. Anyway, I'm a bit confused by your statement.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • No opinion on Shadowlord Faelings.

Just gathering opinions on aslarans. Needn't become some factional argument.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Synkarin said:

Everiine said:

I'm confused by how you see this. The only people who mentioned nerfs to aslaran are Rivius and Shedrin. I actually replied that I felt aslaran were solid and didn't need a nerf. I just want that +1 str point back, I don't think Faeling were too good before, I think they were right on the money and then they took that str hit. Anyway, I'm a bit confused by your statement.
    Ah, my mistake. I lose track of who's talking and everything sort of merges together.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2014

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Everiine's not that big, Iasmos.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    See also: Imperial Merian, from before damage scaling to max INT was noticeably shifted, and the aftermath of said change.

I think a spec race with a speed bonus is always going to be judged with more scrutiny, if only because other guilds will look at their spec races and the limited speed alternatives they have comparatively. To them, what you judge as being an unfair change could be just as well viewed as a shift to parity, especially if that speed bonus is viewed as a "must have".
  • edited February 2014

• Nihta said:
    Llandros said:

Welcome to the club.

The trouble is, I am not sure whether one could say that a faeling is a top tier caster race either. They have less intelligence and constitution than any other city/commune caster spec race, except for viscanti, the balance bonus doesn't do all that much, and I agree with Sidd that I don't really notice a difference with the bigger sips: You get bigger sips from having more con anyway.

We do however get 15 dex... what does dex do for a caster again?

Dex help you survive against people building wounds on you. Some combination of boosting stance or parry or something like that.

Vivet said:

See also: Imperial Merian, from before damage scaling to max INT was noticeably shifted, and the aftermath of said change.

I think a spec race with a speed bonus is always going to be judged with more scrutiny, if only because other guilds will look at their spec races and the limited speed alternatives they have comparatively. To them, what you judge as being an unfair change could be just as well viewed as a shift to parity, especially if that speed bonus is viewed as a "must have".

I am not sure "ours sucks, so should yours," is a great springboard to jump from.
    Vivet said:

Question: What are "limited speed alternatives" in this case where there is a non-spec-race available to all warriors with the same speed bonus and superior stats? While also having access to their specialized non-speed-races (most of which are quite superior to the other available non-spec options), of course. I would say that they have more decent options, not limited ones.

I think you're missing the part where it's being compared to a non-spec-race with the exact same speed bonus, and coming up short.
    I am not sure "ours sucks, so should yours," is a great springboard to jump from.
    I agree, but I think it contributes to the explanation for "why did this happen again?" and needs to be considered as a blunt reality that would likely need to be faced in order to establish change.
    ... I think you're missing the part where it's being compared to a non-spec-race with the exact same speed bonus, and coming up short.
    Yes, to a generally available race that is considered the best choice for that archetype by many, which forces people to pick it over their spec race due largely to a bonus that isn't available on any spec races. Except for one.

Vivet said:
    I agree, but I think it contributes to the explanation for "why did this happen again?" and needs to be considered as a blunt reality that would likely need to be faced in order to establish change.
    ... I think you're missing the part where it's being compared to a non-spec-race with the exact same speed bonus, and coming up short.
    Yes, to a generally available race that is considered the best choice for that archetype by many, which forces people to pick it over their spec race due largely to a bonus that isn't available on any spec races. Except for one.

Uh, others have the choice to pick the speed bonus or the very nice stat packs that they get with their special.  Is it the best?  Perhaps, perhaps not, arguments can be made about that; I personally think it's a pretty decent balance as-is.

Regardless of that... I don't get your argument at all.  Is your argument that "because this non-spec-race exists, you should select it instead of your spec race that has the same bonus but is otherwise worse"?  While one can actually make arguments as to why spec races are / are not better than Aslarans by how much you value the speed bonus, such cannot be done with the "except for one" you are referring to.  It can directly be laid side-by-side with the Aslaran race and its deficiencies can thus be observed in clear detail.  There is no good debate to be had as to which one is better right now.  One is significantly better (and it's not the spec race).
    Xenthos said:
    Uh, others have the choice to pick the speed bonus or the very nice stat packs that they get with their special.  Is it the best?  Perhaps, perhaps not, arguments can be made about that; I personally think it's a pretty decent balance as-is.

Regardless of that... I don't get your argument at all.
    Well, that's your problem. I'm not making an argument. I'm providing an explanation for why I think something happened. No where am I defending it, or saying that it is fair, or that it had to happen that way. Just that what I said is the probable cause and motive.

If you don't think that was it, then what reason can you come up with for why that point of STR was removed?
    Vivet said:
    Xenthos said:

Well, that's your problem. I'm not making an argument. I'm providing an explanation for why I think something happened. No where am I defending it, or saying that it is fair, or that it had to happen that way. Just that what I said is the probable cause and motive.

If you don't think that was it, then what reason can you come up with for why that point of STR was removed?
    I've already posted what his response to the query was... that he didn't think it mattered much.  I don't think that there was a huge amount of reasoning to it.  Which is, in fact, why it bothers me so much!
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Xenthos said:
    Vivet said:
    Xenthos said:

I've already posted what his response to the query was... that he didn't think it mattered much.  I don't think that there was a huge amount of reasoning to it.  Which is, in fact, why it bothers me so much!
    Maybe that's the reason, the Admin are trolling are you.

PS: I have nothing constructive to add, and no opinion worth posting.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.

Well I suspect the discussion beforehand on forums and envoys had a lot to do with it, whether he explicitley said so or not.

Or it was a coincidence. Who knows.

• edited February 2014

• Interesting tweets that spur thought-laden discussion are interesting.  I always learn something from them.
  • The balance difference on Aslaran isn't great enough to set it apart from other races. Having played an Aslaran mage myself, and dying a lot, well, it's a good race but it isn't super special. Just my opinion, having played the race. And granted, I wasn't a warrior.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Psionics mage isn't going to see the benefits of faster balance really.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
This discussion has been closed.