Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• Munsia said:

I wouldn't say hardwork went into it. I feel as if Justice is nothing more than rock paper scissors that bards happen to have the upper hand in. The winner was a surprise, but I'm more inclined to believe everyone had an even chance to win and only chance/luck really decides the winner.

Stop it
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited February 2014
    Annick said:
    I wouldn't say hardwork went into it. I feel as if Justice is nothing more than rock paper scissors that bards happen to have the upper hand in. The winner was a surprise, but I'm more inclined to believe everyone had an even chance to win and only chance/luck really decides the winner.
    Stop it
    Stop what? It's silly to think debating is anymore than a game of luck. That's why Mag told theirs that anyone who knew how, should do it. No harm no foul. Sorta like Knowledge, except easier. 
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Munsia said:
    Annick said:
    Stop it
    Stop what? It's silly to think debating is anymore than a game of luck. That's why Mag told theirs that anyone who knew how, should do it. No harm no foul. Sorta like Knowledge, except easier. 
    While I agree that there is certainly a component of luck involved, there is also a component of thought and deception/trickery. Will you be able to win if you simply spam a single debating attack? Theoretically, yes... if it's all based on luck and you get really lucky with your opponent's script sticking to one specific type of mindset. Still, a better chance to win might be in using afflictions, attitudes and attacks properly... and coding at least some level of pattern recognition in your debating script to analyze enemy attacks and give a higher priority to mindsets that might be favored by your opponent, too.

Did I lose in 3 hits? Yes. Did my script decide and stick to one mindset all of a sudden? Why yes, it did... but to say that it's 100% luck is quite simply incorrect and belittling of both you and the other Justice participants.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • and coding at least some level of pattern recognition in your debating script to analyze enemy attacks and give a higher priority to mindsets that might be favored by your opponent, too.

Did that, and it worked okish - but ultimately, if your opponent is going random mindset, it's not much use. You're far better relying on your own intuition, I find.
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • Laysus said:
    and coding at least some level of pattern recognition in your debating script to analyze enemy attacks and give a higher priority to mindsets that might be favored by your opponent, too.

Did that, and it worked okish - but ultimately, if your opponent is going random mindset, it's not much use. You're far better relying on your own intuition, I find.
    It still might be useful for recognizing patterns in attacks... or to see if 'random' mindsets have a predictable pattern, whether because of personal coding errors or flaws with a random number generator. It's something that I'm curious about for next year, if only because I like numbers and statistics. Besides, going by intuition, there can be a tendency to favor particular attacks more often than others, even if we don't realize it(and thus becoming predictable). I'd rather trust the data. For math!

"Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • If you want a hand with it,feel free to get in touch. Machine learning was part of my degree,and it's fun to get to use it every now and then :D
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Laysus said:
    If you want a hand with it,feel free to get in touch. Machine learning was part of my degree,and it's fun to get to use it every now and then :D
    My script for attack does some minor pattern recognition, but it only tosses out recommendations as to the next attack, rather than forcing it on me. It doesn't give percentages, but it does spit out an echo after each attack on my part that says:

Petti/Passi/Ponti (for instance, which just sorts through the most likely ability to use and win next)

Granted, in the first 15 rounds of a debate fight, it's pretty much a shot in the dark and I ignore it completely. If the fight has been going for longer than 40 seconds, I will start paying more and more attention to it. And, of course, it is programmed to learn based on an individual, keeping separate records for each person encountered, and is only reset manually, so in some cases it really does tend to shine in peaced revolts. In some cases, it is very hit and miss especially against scripts that have no actual pattern. Still, it is better than absolutely nothing at all.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • So..uh, a rave!

Family <3
  • Elanorwen said:
    Laysus said:
    If you want a hand with it,feel free to get in touch. Machine learning was part of my degree,and it's fun to get to use it every now and then :D
    My script for attack does some minor pattern recognition, but it only tosses out recommendations as to the next attack, rather than forcing it on me. It doesn't give percentages, but it does spit out an echo after each attack on my part that says:

Petti/Passi/Ponti (for instance, which just sorts through the most likely ability to use and win next)

Granted, in the first 15 rounds of a debate fight, it's pretty much a shot in the dark and I ignore it completely. If the fight has been going for longer than 40 seconds, I will start paying more and more attention to it. And, of course, it is programmed to learn based on an individual, keeping separate records for each person encountered, and is only reset manually, so in some cases it really does tend to shine in peaced revolts. In some cases, it is very hit and miss especially against scripts that have no actual pattern. Still, it is better than absolutely nothing at all.
    Mine was nowhere near that complicated, but it was -some- years ago in ZMud, and I figured implementing ANN theory in Zmud was an achievement in itself :D
  • edited February 2014
    The biggest thing to watch out for in debating is attitudes. If your opponent is good at sneaking in attitudes then they've got a major advantage, @Pejat was the only person who stripped the attitudes I put up mid-fight and I also stripped his. Once you're good at doing that, then it's a far more luck based scenario.

For example, in the debate against @Pejat we were fairly even, I stripped his attitudes, he waited a little bit before stripping mine. I then stripped his attitudes whenever he put one up mid-debate and he did the same to me. In the end it came down to me getting a bad hit, Pejat getting a perfect hit, me getting a bad hit, Pejat getting a perfect hit. That put me from full to 176 ego, I then got a perfect hit and managed to cure back to 2000 ego and he got a perfect hit which finished me off.

Debating is certainly luck based but there are definitely things you can do to massively improve your chances of winning, and @Pejat did those things. Props to him for winning because it was well deserved.
  • Chade said:
    For example, in the debate against @Pejat we were fairly even, I stripped his attitudes, he waited a little bit before stripping mine. I then stripped his attitudes whenever he put one up mid-debate and he did the same to me. In the end it came down to me getting a bad hit, Pejat getting a perfect hit, me getting a bad hit, Pejat getting a perfect hit. That put me from full to 176 ego, I then got a perfect hit and managed to cure back to 2000 ego and he got a perfect hit which finished me off.
    That sounds epic, I'm sorry I missed that.
    Retired.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Haezon said:
    Chade said:
    That sounds epic, I'm sorry I missed that.
    Everyone missed it. The divine kidnap the 2 participants for each debate so no one gets to watch.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'd love to see Justice be double-elimination, or single elimination with best-two-out-of-three battles. I mean, the debates are quick; the time really just went into organizing matches and verifying rule compliance.
  • Single elimination with best two out of three would be awesome. 

Just have the Oneiroi/Erinyes etc. divine refresh the competitors after each debate and go from there. But Justice was really well run this year so it doesn't matter if it stays the same next year.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Some fights are pretty much over before they start, they get a perfect hit on you with their attitude while you're trying to strip them, and by the time you go on the offensive, they've beaten you into submission and you can easily kill yourself off with a rebounding.

I'd really like to see a single elimination 2/3 setup, in future years, even War's double elimination and that takes far longer than this.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    My debating strategy: randomly press my debating keybinds, see what happens. I've had people shatter themselves on my that way.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Winning debates while you're AFK is kinda funny, too.

• Munsia said:

Annick said:

Munsia said:

Stop it

Just let people enjoy stuff no need to Debbie downer it

• Mostly a rave....Happy to be back in Lusty-land! :)

Non-rave: Having no clothes, no enchantments and no gold to get it back atm. 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Raves for Glom, Gaudi and Mag for putting up with my noobishness during that revolt.  It's nice to be able to screw up and get told it's okay.  :)
  • Alternatively, apply a little heat to evaporate the fluid they expelled. Along with their face.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Synkarin said:
    Could have used less facespitting though
    YEAH MARCELLA GEEZ
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • GWHO

Currently, there are 10 members on this Plane and 1 on other Planes.

CWHO

Currently, there are 13 Citizens on this Plane and 8 on other planes.
This discussion has been closed.